New Game???

indytim

Having Amy Henning work on an Indiana Jones game would be a bad idea because she's already produced a series of them under the guise of Uncharted. An Indy game produced by her would be just too close to Uncharted in design and narrative, drawing unwanted comparisons. I can't see how it wouldn't be.

Apparently, EA wasn't happy with the recently-scrapped Star Wars game she was working on due to the fact that most of the designs they were shown were too similar to Uncharted. The following quote is taken from this article ... https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152 ... which is a long read but a very interesting one that explains the complex nature of working with Lucasfilm on one of its franchises:

By the middle of 2017, people who saw the game say it resembled Uncharted too much for EA?s liking. ?The three levels we made for the 3.5 gate, every single one of those levels you could hold up a video of Uncharted beside it,? said one former Visceral employee, ?and you could literally say, ?OK, this part is like this part from Uncharted. This level is like this level from Uncharted.??

A new Indiana Jones can't simply be a clone of the Nathan Drake adventures. In order for it to be successfully received by the press and players it would need to offer something different in its design construct. The most beloved Indiana Jones video games are LucasArts' point and click adventures so maybe that would be a good starting point when thinking about how a game featuring the character should be presented.

Apologies for the grave digging but I just found this thread.

Personally I think an Indy game by Naughty Dog would have to be somewhat "less" Uncharted.

Indy shouldn't go around killing as many characters as Nathan Drake does, he is just not such a type of character.
And yet I do want to see some shooting in an Indy game. I guess the best possibility would be an adventure game with exploration and puzzle solving and the occasional fighting/shooting segment.

IAdventurer01

TheDutchGhost said:
Apologies for the grave digging but I just found this thread.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure grave-digging is the rule around here! :rolleyes:

TheDutchGhost said:
And yet I do want to see some shooting in an Indy game. I guess the best possibility would be an adventure game with exploration and puzzle solving and the occasional fighting/shooting segment.

In terms of combat, I actually think the Emperor's Tomb overall had it nailed. Skirmishes were typically a bit smaller in terms of numbers of people, guns were helpful but major weapons you just sort of used then dumped. Sure it went off the deep-end in a few segments and the controls may feel a bit dated now, but it really felt 'right' most of the time.

I agree we need a return to the adventure game roots, though. Add in some puzzles and conversation trees with the occasional well designed action set piece (more combat if you are really bad at talking through precarious situations), and you'll have something pretty unique and very Indiana Jones.

I'd love it to be similar to Uncharted, but it would be tough for any company to make a decent product. When dealing with a title like Indy, expectations (from fans and videogamers alike) get very, very high. Honestly, I still need to find a game as immersive and enjoyable as FoA or Infernal Machine. It still feels like you're exploring places when playing these (very) old games. I didn't dislike Emperor's Tomb, but the story is not as captivating (it's just a chaotic backdrop to move to an exotic location to another), and you didn't have as much freedom to explore massive levels, as in Infernal Machine.

Personally, I think that the main drive of a game should be its narrative (cf. some wonderful recent games such as Talos Principle, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Observer; they might have some minor flaws but these are overshadowed by their powerful and gripping story) but that doesn't necessarily matches the commercial interest of Disney/Lucasfilm. Consider what happened with Star Wars Battlefront 1&2 (which are visually stunning, I mean incredibly stunning, but apart from that...).

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to the release of the 2.0 demo of FoA Special edition (if it's actually going to be released anytime soon).

IndianaBones

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ects-among-multiple-cancellations-at-tt-games
Recently it seems that Lego is going through a bunch of things internally at the moment. It’s rumored that they’ve cancelled many projects for Marvel and Disney Animation that were set to be games. Lego is rumored to be putting their focus onto a new Lego Harry Potter game in the style of Skywalker Saga.
If that’s true, I can’t wait for a new Lego Harry Potter game in Skywalker Saga style!
Just putting it out there since it seems that Lego is more focused on revisiting classic franchises and giving them a modern facelift bump. I’m hoping Indy is one of the next franchises they tackle. Considering the they can finally make it based on all 5 movies by the time they can make a new one.

T06J00

I've finally got round to playing the Skywalker Saga and it's really good. If they applied the same treatment to Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and of course Indy, they would definitly have some top sellers there.

dyoghenes

I really hoped for a new Lego Indy game in the style of Skywalker Saga. But I feel like it would be hard to do with the rougher tone of the dialogue in the Indy movies compared to either SW, HP or LotR. Also, mentioning Nazis in a Lego game?

T06J00

In the first two games they referred to them as enemies. So I don't think it would be a huge problem.

dyoghenes

Oh sorry, I meant because of the voice acting, which was the same as the movies in Lego Star Wars if I remember correctly.

IndianaBones

Imagine one day an Indiana Jones game with these graphics:

Wow that beautiful. If Bethesda’s Indiana Jones game is a success, hopefully it’ll kick off a new line of Indy games from them and other different studios. It’s the least they can do after this upcoming movie

IndianaBones

Seeing the new trailer I can see that Dial of Destiny could be pretty fun for a Lego game (Lego Indiana Jones 3). With the flashbacks and so many new destinations, it would look so great in Lego form. Especially with how their new games look like now , like Skywalker saga

StockdeFerry

Seeing the new trailer I can see that Dial of Destiny could be pretty fun for a Lego game (Lego Indiana Jones 3). With the flashbacks and so many new destinations, it would look so great in Lego form. Especially with how their new games look like now , like Skywalker saga
I'd love a Lego game of Indy 5! They could release a new version with the Lego games of all the five films!