Clark Gable vs. Humphrey Bogart vs. Cary Grant vs. Jimmy Stewart vs. Errol Flynn

Raiders90

Arguably a listing of the biggest male movie icons of the 1930s/1940s, basically the film icons of the Indy era--but which of these gents was the greatest?

kongisking

The ones I am most familiar with are Bogart and Stewart, the others I've regrettably not gotten around to seeing in anything. Of those two, I'd go for Bogart. The man personified Jerk With A Heart of Gold characters (much like how Harrison Ford is such for my generation and my preceding one, IMO), and did it masterfully. There's a reason he's often considered Hollywood's all-time greatest leading man. That, and his romance with Lauren Bacall was an inspiring and beautiful thing. But that's of course a real-life thing...

Glenville86

Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart would be my 2-favorites.

Jimmy Stewart would be my first pick as he was a real life Army Air Corps pilot and flew missions. I think he retired from the AF Reserve as a 1-star general. (y)

Duaner

No question that Jimmy Stewart is the winner here. I don't think he made a bad movie. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, Rear Window, and Vertigo are all among the greatest movies of all-time. Some of my favorites of his that are underrated are Shenandoah and Flight of the Phoenix.

AndyLGR

I would say Stewart and Grant. Both seem effortless actors to me with a real charm about them.

In addition for James Stewart don't forget It a wonderful Life and I really like the remake of The Man who Knew Too Much. Vertigo I'm not a fan of.

Cary Grant was in 2 of my all time favourite films North by Northwest and Charade (the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made).

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Arguably a listing of the biggest male movie icons of the 1930s/1940s, basically the film icons of the Indy era--but which of these gents was the greatest?
Welcome back, Raiders112390.:) This is just like your other thread:
Clark Gable vs. Humphrey Bogart

kongisking said:
...the others I've regrettably not gotten around to seeing in anything.
Jeeze Louise, you STILL haven't seen "Gunga Din"?!?! :rolleyes: What the hell are you waiting for?:confused: :confused: :confused: Not only does it feature Cary Grant but it is one of the GREATEST ADVENTURE MOVIES EVER MADE!!!:whip:
Duaner said:
Shenandoah
Oh, "Shenandoah"...Yes!(y)

-----
MOST GREATEST: Humphrey Bogart

LEAST GREATEST: Clark Gable...because of his annoying voice and potato-shaped head. His face was like some kind of squished pumpkin (or something else equally weird) and he was always croaking his lines, sounding like he had a frog in his throat. I've seen a number of his films & have never understood the appeal.