Robopocalypse

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://m.deadline.com/2010/10/steven-spielberg-commits-to-direct-robopocalypse
Next up for Spielberg, filming January 2012, arriving 2013. I don't want to be the first to push Indy 5 to 2014 or later, but anything sooner is a tight squeeze.

A similar script for Mike Myers was based on the scientifically accurate How to Survive a Robot Uprising by Daniel H. Wilson, considered the next Michael Crichton, who's polishing his Robopocalypse novel. Recall Spielberg developed Jaws and Jurassic Park while those books were being written.

I'll wager the novel/film is a near-future comedy akin to Gremlins, most unlike Terminator or I Robot or Battlestar Galaxia or whatever you're aching to compare it to. If iPads scan our retinas and fingerprints and study our Farmville strategies and report to Google street view cars (which have begun driving themselves) we could find ourselves in some serious trouble, folks.

TheMutt92

Its nice to see Spielberg getting back in the director's chair. We got Tintin and War Horse a week apart next Christmas, then this (hopefully) in 2013... but what I'd like to know is what happened to his other duties? Lincoln, Harvey, Interstellar, Indy 5...

While I could care less about Harvey and am content w/ Indy as he is, Lincoln and Interstellar really peaked my interest (especially Interstellar, seeing as its scripted by Jonah Nolan). But like i said, its nice to see Spielberg get back in the chair (although I will admit, Robopocalypse sounds more over the top than Spielberg has done of late... maybe KOTCS and Tintin brought something back outta him?)

Dr. Gonzo

TheMutt92 said:
but what I'd like to know is what happened to his other duties? Lincoln, Harvey, Interstellar, Indy 5...
I can some what steer you in the right direction of these answers...
Though I don't have the links, I'm sure you'll be able to find them eventually...
Steven officially dropped out of Harvey a few months back, in fact that entire production is dead.
Steve was going to do Lincoln on the basis that Liam Neeson was attached to play the President but his potential involvement agreement expired a while back and thus Steven abandoned the project as well.
As far as I know Interstellar is still on his "plate".

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
July 2, 2013! Oh, to look over those shoulders...
Hopefully this will lead to a new alternate reality game.

Halfway through the book, excellent stuff.
I wonder how much of the film will be "found footage."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://m.deadline.com/2013/01/the-m...rilla-oscar-directors-and-the-films-they-make
I’d heard yesterday that one factor might have been that Spielberg saw Guillermo del Toro’s upcoming robot battle pic Pacific Rim, and decided there was no reason to rush this. What is interesting about that is that del Toro would not have been able to make Pacific Rim had he not decided that directing The Hobbit film series was a job better suited for co-writer Peter Jackson, who warmed to spending another huge chunk of his professional life in Tolkien’s Middle-earth.
“(In terms of the delay), I found another way to tell the story,” Spielberg told Deadline this morning. “I had an epiphany and I only have had these a couple of time during the course of my work and whenever those voices occur, I need to listen to them. I found another way to tell the story, it’s a much more personal story for me. I let my cast and crew go make other movies, while I take a half a year to get it to the place that I need it.” Spielberg would not go as far as saying whether he’ll take on another picture before he gets to this. “I don’t know,” he said. “I’m going to wait until March when I’m going to redevelop it.”