General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Udvarnoky

The early word on Tintin is that Spielberg has successfully recaptured the energy and magic of his earlier Indy films. Fingers crossed that Indy4 was just the stepping stone necessary to recover the mindset.

Mickiana said:
Do you mean he doesn't want to direct Indy5, but only pretends he does? Why do you think this?

Um, because it keeps the fans guessing and keeps him in the frame as director. If he said "No way will I direct Indy again", it tarnishes his image and the Indy film legacy.

The marketing hook with Tintin is to reference 'the spirit of Indiana Jones', to claw in maximum ticket sales by association. It's an old trick - bit like those "From the director / producers of...." lines on posters.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
Um, because it keeps the fans guessing and keeps him in the frame as director. If he said "No way will I direct Indy again", it tarnishes his image and the Indy film legacy.

The marketing hook with Tintin is to reference 'the spirit of Indiana Jones', to claw in maximum ticket sales by association. It's an old trick - bit like those "From the director / producers of...." lines on posters.

I totally agree. Any talk of Indy 5 happening belongs in the Bullsh!t thread!

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
I totally agree. Any talk of Indy 5 happening belongs in the Bullsh!t thread!
Heh. Pale Horse did mention it there.

In my personal philosophy, there's no point in rabidly anticipating any news. That way, there's no letdown if it never comes to fruition. If it does...BONUS.

IndyForever

This is more hopeful so Spielberg now says George Lucas is working on the story!! Empire is a UK magazine Spielberg gives exclusives to & SS once even guest edited an issue!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32315

"We asked Spielberg about his reaction to the critiques of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as well as his future plans for the archaeologist. Where do things stand right now?

"You have to ask George Lucas. George is in charge of breaking the stories. He's done it on all four movies. Whether I like the stories or not, George has broken all the stories. He is working on Indy V. We haven't gone to screenplay yet, but he's working on the story. I'll leave it to George to come up with a good story."

And Crystal Skull? "I'm very happy with the movie. I always have been... I sympathise with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in - even if I don't believe in it - I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it. I'll add my own touches, I'll bring my own cast in, I'll shoot the way I want to shoot it, but I will always defer to George as the storyteller of the Indy series. I will never fight him on that."

And on the specifics of the criticisms, Spielberg takes some of them as a badge of pride. "The gopher was good. I have the stand-in one at home. What people really jumped at was Indy climbing into a refrigerator and getting blown into the sky by an atom-bomb blast. Blame me. Don't blame George. That was my silly idea. People stopped saying "jump the shark". They now say, "nuked the fridge". I'm proud of that. I'm glad I was able to bring that into popular culture."

Montana Smith

All that tells us is that both Lucas and Spielberg are senile and no longer have any consideration for Indy's legacy. :eek:

I'm looking forward to Monty Python's take on Indy 5. It should at least be more subtle and serious in tone. :p

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
All that tells us is that both Lucas and Spielberg are senile and no longer have any consideration for Indy's legacy. :eek:

I'm looking forward to Monty Python's take on Indy 5. It should at least be more subtle and serious in tone. :p

Hahahahaha! Watching our heroes age before us has it moments of grief but also moments of laughter.

With all of this toning down business and now the above quotes maybe Steven is too old to direct another outing?

Indy's brother

IndyForever said:
This is more hopeful so Spielberg now says George Lucas is working on the story!! Empire is a UK magazine Spielberg gives exclusives to & SS once even guest edited an issue!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32315

"We asked Spielberg about his reaction to the critiques of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as well as his future plans for the archaeologist. Where do things stand right now?

"You have to ask George Lucas. George is in charge of breaking the stories. He's done it on all four movies. Whether I like the stories or not, George has broken all the stories. He is working on Indy V. We haven't gone to screenplay yet, but he's working on the story. I'll leave it to George to come up with a good story."

And Crystal Skull? "I'm very happy with the movie. I always have been... I sympathise with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in - even if I don't believe in it - I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it. I'll add my own touches, I'll bring my own cast in, I'll shoot the way I want to shoot it, but I will always defer to George as the storyteller of the Indy series. I will never fight him on that."

And on the specifics of the criticisms, Spielberg takes some of them as a badge of pride. "The gopher was good. I have the stand-in one at home. What people really jumped at was Indy climbing into a refrigerator and getting blown into the sky by an atom-bomb blast. Blame me. Don't blame George. That was my silly idea. People stopped saying "jump the shark". They now say, "nuked the fridge". I'm proud of that. I'm glad I was able to bring that into popular culture."

I really don't know what to say to this. Spielberg being publicly submissive to Lucas, and taking pride in the most hated parts of KOTCS? On the latter, I have to give him some props for trying to own it, but still. Some humility would have been a better stance. I can't believe this was a real interview, it reads like something from supershadow.

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
Hahahahaha! Watching our heroes age before us has it moments of grief but also moments of laughter.

With all of this toning down business and now the above quotes maybe Steven is too old to direct another outing?

Indy's brother said:
I really don't know what to say to this. Spielberg being publicly submissive to Lucas, and taking pride in the most hated parts of KOTCS? On the latter, I have to give him some props for trying to own it, but still. Some humility would have been a better stance. I can't believe this was a real interview, it reads like something from supershadow.

It really does read like something wacky, doesn't it?

Feels like they were deliberately seeing what they could get away with in KOTCS, just to test the endurance of the fans!

Forbidden Eye

Montana Smith said:
Feels like they were deliberately seeing what they could get away with in KOTCS, just to test the endurance of the fans!

Well, Spielberg has said he will only make a movie if he has the thought "Am I going to get away with this."

Just watch him say so.

Spielberg's proud of Nuking The Fridge? He knows it was silly but did it anyway? He thought the McGuffin was rubbish but went ahead cos George liked it?

Hey guys - why buck a winning formula? How about this for Indy 5?

Indiana Jones & The Saving Of The Euro

Montana Smith

replican't said:
Spielberg's proud of Nuking The Fridge? He knows it was silly but did it anyway? He thought the McGuffin was rubbish but went ahead cos George liked it?

Hey guys - why buck a winning formula? How about this for Indy 5?

Indiana Jones & The Saving Of The Euro

Nah, the plot would be too far-fetched, even for the dynamic duo. Not even Indy can sort out that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:

empiredec.jpg