Area 51 or Hangar 51?

eroc

James said:
I think you may be trying to apply too much logic from other movies here. For all intents and purposes, Hangar 51 is what constitutes Area 51 in Indy's universe.

Spielberg has said he added the giant "51" so that audiences would know, "Okay, we're dealing with Area 51 here."

Lucas also cited Area 51 in interviews, when giving away clues as to what people could expect to see in the film.

Thank you.:hat:

Nurhachi1991 said:
Ok if anyone here has an Rpg Indy figure in the package Handy read the back of it. It says something like " Having escaped Hanger 51"

Hanger not Area.

Are you for real? Really?

They don't have to explain everything. That would suck. But some things are just freakin obvious.

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

Here it is from Hasbro.com

"Kidnapped by Russian agents, Indy is taken to Hanger 51, the U.S. government?s top-secret military installation, where he is forced to help search for a mysterious artifact that can unleash incredible psychic powers. But using his whip and his wits, Indy fights his way to freedom, determined to keep the mysterious artifact out of Soviet hands."

IrishJedi

Nurhachi, they call it "Hangar 51" in the movie, because the "Area" designation did not exist at that time. But it's obviously supposed to be a Hangar at the same base in its early days.

Also, Area 51 exists right inside the old Nuclear Testing area.

I have NO DOUBT that "Hangar 51" is supposed to be Area 51.

In fact, the gate that is shown in the film is almost exactly like the "Back Gate" that exists at the real Area 51 to this very day. I know, because I've been there (just the outside, of course):

DSC_0042.JPG

Here is my Trip Report from visiting there in 2002:

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/trip_reports/trip_023.html

The real issue is continuity, because no base (or even just a hangar) existed in the Nevada desert in 1936. So either the very end of RAIDERS (the warehouse shot) is a flash-forward that takes place at least a decade after the rest of the movie... or we have a space-time continuum gaffe on our hands. ;)

Last edited:

Dr. Wolfwood

Please, people, it is hangar, not hanger. The latter makes me think of my wardrobe and that I don't even have 51 hangers for my shirts... Besides, a hanger would be entirely too easy for Indy to escape from... :whip:

And, yes, it is indeed intended to be Area 51 in the film. Which, evidently, was rebuilt after they blew up the atomic bomb in the near vicinity...

Sam Falco

People also need to learn how to spell "ALIENS" I've seen at least 6 posts with "alins" "Aleins" and "Alines", haha.

This argument is kinda stupid, guys... Come on, its a friggin' adventure movie about aliens, the hangAr says "51" on the doors because its supposed to be a joke for people paying attention enough to notice.

Nurhachi1991

There you go it is a joke......... Hangar 51 was not Area 51 you said it yourself Area 51 did not exist in 1936 so it was not Area 51.

Agent Z

Nurhachi1991 said:
There you go it is a joke......... Hangar 51 was not Area 51 you said it yourself Area 51 did not exist in 1936 so it was not Area 51.

Kingdom takes place in 1957....

Agent Z

The_Raiders said:
He was referring to when we see the warehoue in ROTLA. :hat:

Then I really don't see his point. The warehouse at the end of Raiders could have been any warehouse. No inference of where that warehouse resides is ever even hinted at. Totally different warehouse from Area 51's.

Kooshmeister

If that's the case, then at some point the government must've cleaned house, considering they moved the Ark from that other, unnamed warehouse to Hangar 51.

And anyway, who says Area 51 one didn't exist in the 30's in the Indyverse?

Luke Skywalker

Isnt the name Hangar 51 an hommage to both Hangar 18 and Area 51.

Specially since the movie (skull) implies that it is the same wharehouse as Raiders.

I dont think Spielberg, lucas or koepp thought, 'maybe they moved the ark to area 51' or things like that.

The Man

Is the hangar's location elaborated upon in the novelisation? If not, it's best left to audience speculation. I simply assumed it was Area 51...

James

Kooshmeister said:
And anyway, who says Area 51 one didn't exist in the 30's in the Indyverse?

Exactly. The Indy series is full of anachronisms, so I'm not sure why we're trying to apply real-world logic here.

Lucas and Spielberg have always taken a great deal of liberties with the Indy films. Stuff is included primarily just for fun- regardless of whether or not it's 100% accurate.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082971/goofs

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087469/goofs

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097576/goofs

Agent Z

Luke Skywalker said:
Specially since the movie (skull) implies that it is the same wharehouse as Raiders.

Where does Kingdom imply that? I didn't get that impression at all.

There are 21 years between Raiders and Kingdom. I don't think it's hard to fathom that the government moved the Ark a few times during that stretch.

Agent Z

Agent Spalko said:
Um, maybe because we see THE ARK OF THE COVENANT. :whip:

Um, and your point? That the Ark can never be moved? That there is only one warehouse on the planet? That, arguably, the most powerful artifact on Earth would remain in one spot for 21 years? *LOL*

But that was the point of the ending of Raiders, that it was moved from it's resting place in the Well of Souls to a government warehouse where it is buried amidst thousands of crates to where it would remain buried again indefinitely. What do you think, they are going to put it in Hangar 18, then a few years later move it to Hangar 22, then a few years later move it to Hangar 51? I don't think so. There's a reason why they call it Area 51. It's been around longer than the name and most likely because Hangar 51 was known for being the area that contains all of the most valuable possessions.

Christ, I never thought I'd end up in a position where I was actually defending Kingdom. :eek: