Indiana Jones Marathon on USA Network

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I was hoping for something funny for Mutt's BullSh!t, but the just dumped the sh!t audio.(n)
I have 3 questions:

1) Was Marion's "I'm your God damned partner!" line left intact or not?

2) Did "Raiders" feature the new, CG jeep-over-cliff shot or the regular one?

3) Were there any promo clips or bumpers with Indy-style graphics specifically created for this marathon?

ATMachine

Stoo said:
I have 3 questions:

3) Were there any promo clips or bumpers with Indy-style graphics specifically created for this marathon?
I suspect "Goddamned partner" was dumped, as in previous broadcasts; US networks don't tend to allow the use of "goddamn," though they allow "damn." I guess taking the Lord's name in vain on TV would offend religious types somehow.

Stoo

Hi, ATM.:hat: Yes, I'm aware of U.S. censors' sensitivity to the phrase, "God damned", which is why I asked here and previously mentioned it before. (Check out posts #20, 29 & 30 of this thread: Indy 1-3 in HD?);)

As for the CG cliff shot, USA network is where it originally showed so I'm wondering if it appeared again on this recent Indy marathon. Anyone notice?

Stoo said:
I have 3 questions:

I recorded the Epix broadcast on the DVR, they included a Do-it-Yourself Light Up Crystal Skull segment, but it was pretty weak. I may have some of it. I'll check.

USA didn't have any promos worth talking about...at least that I saw. Funny I was looking for them too though!:hat:

Epix showed the CGI jeep...I have to go through them again for Temple alterations and Crusade revisions, (if there are any).

Last edited:

indyclone25

Stoo said:
I have 3 questions:

1. marion did say god damned partner
2. looked cg to me and the cliff looked redone
3.not that i saw

Indy's brother

indyclone25 said:
3.not that i saw

I only saw the tv spots on USA for KOTCS, but me neither. In fact, while very tastefully done with the musical selection the network choose for their promos, I thought it odd that they didn't use any excerpts from the actual score(s). Am I to assume this was a trend for all 4? Did anyone here see the promos for all 4 films and notice if this was the case? My guess is that using John Williams' scores for this purpose was simply too cost-preventative.

AnnieJones

The only commercial I could find on YouTube was this KOTCS commercial.Unfortunately,the music can't be heard very well.

USA December 12, 2010 Aircheck
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5cWKY8NRMIA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5cWKY8NRMIA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In case someone hasn't already posted this,Indiana Jones is going to be aired again on USA network.I found this out by going to the USA network website.Although,this time it will only be the 4th movie.
The left hand side of the USA network website says this:

UPCOMING AIRINGS

TUE,JAN.18
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF

WED,JAN.19
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF

Last edited:

Indy's brother

The relevant excerpt from that link

And it's pretty amazing for a movie that has become THE go-to punchline in every movie critic's arsenal for tearing on sequels.
?Crystal Skull? was the year?s most watched cable theatrical among P25-54 (2.29 million) and the year?s most watched live-action theatrical among P18-49 (2.18 million), total viewers (4.70 million) and households (3.28 million). It was also USA?s most watched movie since 2008 among P25-54, P18-49, total viewers and households, and since 2009 in P18-34.

Forbidden Eye

Cool to see the ratings are so high. I guess this film will have a life of its own(though it was a huge hit when released).

I actually saw the waterfall scene on tv while flipping but changed when it went to a commercial. It was rather surreal, thinking about the years that went into anticipating this, brainstorming plots, wondering what the experience of seeing an Indiana Jones film in theaters would be like, now we've reached a point where its being shown on television. Boy have the years caught up with us.

AnnieJones

Mitchellhallock said:
Indiana Jones marathon and "Crystal Skull" showings get HUGE Ratings for USA! Most Watched Cable Movie in YEARS! http://tinyurl.com/283ncsf
It just goes to show that people are still interested the Indiana Jones movies and therefore the fans proved they can't wait to see another one because of the ratings being so high.:whip:

Indy's brother said:
YEAAAAHHH BAAAAABBY!!!! :D

Ahem:eek: , I mean, thanks for posting that Mitch.....:cool:
lol! Love it!(y)

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
And it's pretty amazing for a movie that has become THE go-to punchline in every movie critic's arsenal for tearing on sequels.

Maybe a lot of people tuned in to see whether all the hype was true.

Since the plot elements can't be changed you have to go along with it, or miss out on a quarter of the Indy big screen experience. For those that intentionally avoided KOTCS at cinema and on DVD/blu-ray, the lure of a television airing could have been tempting (like secretly sampling forbidden fruit!)

kongisking

Indy's brother said:

But, then again, big numbers aren't entirely indicative of quality. Remember the huge box office Transformers 2 did, and how great a movie that was?

But the bigger question is: why the HELL am I defending poor reception of KOTCS? Especially since after last night re-reading the interviews with Spielberg, Lucas and Ford in the Indy Official Magazine, in which they make it clear just how much they wanted to make KOTCS every fan's dream come true, and almost ripped my hair out in fury over how royally the trio has been disowned by ungrateful so-called fans...;)

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
Maybe a lot of people tuned in to see whether all the hype was true.

Since the plot elements can't be changed you have to go along with it, or miss out on a quarter of the Indy big screen experience. For those that intentionally avoided KOTCS at cinema and on DVD/blu-ray, the lure of a television airing could have been tempting (like secretly sampling forbidden fruit!)

kongisking said:
But, then again, big numbers aren't entirely indicative of quality. Remember the huge box office Transformers 2 did, and how great a movie that was?

While these could be valid interpretations, I'm not buying it.

4.7 million people tuned in to watch it just to finally give in? And wether or not the film was a masterpiece in the eyes of die-hard fans like us, those numbers seem to prove that there was a fairly large (read: majority) of cable viewers that chose to watch Crystal Skull over all the other programs offered across the cable networks at that time.

This just goes to further exemplify that despite the "conventional wisdom" that KOTCS was pure crap, it was a box-office smash hit, and continues to be popular over 2 years later.

What would be interesting data would be how many people actually stayed glued to their sets, and how many viewers dvr'd it, and how those numbers figure into the stats published in the article. Though it's just kind of splitting hairs at that point, and doesn't really change much of anything, if you think about it. The interest is there, and Indy remains a perennial favorite to even casual fans and simply people who like to watch movies in general.

This bodes well for all of us here, even fans that hate KOTCS with a passion. this sort of interest is the kind of thing that inspires companies like Lucasarts, Sideshow Collectibles, Lego, etc, etc, to continue to expand their lines. It proves beyond a doubt that there is an interest in the Indiana Jones franchise that goes beyond the relatively few members of The Raven forums.

Now Montana, I know you're just airing out a theory, but I would like to respond to it a little more directly by saying that there were plenty of crap movies that have made it to the cable networks in the last two years that did not make these kind of numbers :p

One last thought on this is that the USA showing of KOTCS was the most watched film on cable since 2008, after it was one of the most watched films at the theater....in 2008. Not sure if there is any direct relation to that timeline, just something to consider.

All that said, this is coming from a fan (me) that has plenty of problems with the film, but can still see the good in it.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
While these could be valid interpretations, I'm not buying it.

4.7 million people tuned in to watch it just to finally give in? And wether or not the film was a masterpiece in the eyes of die-hard fans like us, those numbers seem to prove that there was a fairly large (read: majority) of cable viewers that chose to watch Crystal Skull over all the other programs offered across the cable networks at that time.

Now Montana, I know you're just airing out a theory, but I would like to respond to it a little more directly by saying that there were plenty of crap movies that have made it to the cable networks in the last two years that did not make these kind of numbers :p

Being a relatively new movie, it may have drawn a lot of viewers. Also, there is the valid point that it's the publicity hungry media critics who like to jump on bandwagons, and claim to speak for the masses. Whereas, given the chance and free access to a remote control, the masses are more than capable of speaking for themselves.

Indy's brother said:
This just goes to further exemplify that despite the "conventional wisdom" that KOTCS was pure crap, it was a box-office smash hit, and continues to be popular over 2 years later.

Indy's brother said:
All that said, this is coming from a fan (me) that has plenty of problems with the film, but can still see the good in it.

It's those publicity hungry critics again, claiming the conventional wisdom. As an Indy fan I'm willing to pick it to pieces to extract the good bits from the bad, so that it'll never become totally "crap". Just never a masterpiece.

Indy's brother said:
This bodes well for all of us here, even fans that hate KOTCS with a passion. this sort of interest is the kind of thing that inspires companies like Lucasarts, Sideshow Collectibles, Lego, etc, etc, to continue to expand their lines. It proves beyond a doubt that there is an interest in the Indiana Jones franchise that goes beyond the relatively few members of The Raven forums.

That is a very uplifting point. And at a time when the unthinkable is going to happen (a Hot Toys Indy on the horizon). I hope for a continuation of the Hasbro line, and for more Lego sets (just so long as Lego isn't too preoccupied with Harry Potter, Star Wars and The Pirates of the Caribbean).

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
That is a very uplifting point.

Thanks, 'Tana. I'll admit that during my free-association style of writing posts, I was beaming when that bit leapt off of my fingers and onto the screen of my laptop. I'm actually a cynic by nature, but that aspect of the USA numbers had me a little giddy. Well, maybe not giddy. Maybe a little light-headed. I stood up kind of fast to type that part.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Thanks, 'Tana. I'll admit that during my free-association style of writing posts, I was beaming when that bit leapt off of my fingers and onto the screen of my laptop. I'm actually a cynic by nature, but that aspect of the USA numbers had me a little giddy. Well, maybe not giddy. Maybe a little light-headed. I stood up kind of fast to type that part.

Indy's brother said:
I'm actually a cynic by nature

Me too.

Indy's brother said:
my free-association style of writing posts

Mine too.

Sure you're Indy's brother? Or my long-lost cynical, free-association-afflicted missing twin? ;)

I hope that the ratings show a lasting and general affection for all things Indy, and not only a passing interest. Enough to give the toy and model producers confidence to go mass production.

Though both Lego and Hasbro pulled out after a short while last time. It begs the question how deeply interested the television viewers are in pursuing memorabilia. We know there's a strong niche market.

StoneTriple

Cool that the series was so heavily watched. Proving yet again that the "I hate the Star Wars prequels, so everything Lucas does is trash" lobbyists don't speak for the Indiana Jones fans or the theater-going\cable-watching masses - no matter how hard they try to convince the world otherwise.

Well done, USA Network & fan base.

For the record, I dislike the Star Wars prequels (having only seen one), as well as the original trilogy SEs (having seen none). However, that franchise has zero to do with the Indiana Jones franchise. My intense dislike of Lucas' constant lying about Star Wars has no effect on a Spielberg film that Lucas is partly involved in.

michael

Montana Smith said:
I hope that the ratings show a lasting and general affection for all things Indy, and not only a passing interest. Enough to give the toy and model producers confidence to go mass production.

Though both Lego and Hasbro pulled out after a short while last time. It begs the question how deeply interested the television viewers are in pursuing memorabilia. We know there's a strong niche market.

Lego stayed with it longer than Hasbro, but really they made all they could. I haven't bought any of the Lego stuff (aside from the games), but really, what else is there for them to make? A Lego Grail Temple would be awesome, I guess.

As for the future of Indy (if there is no 5th film coming) they are better off making it for the collectors.