When Indy grabs the hat from Mutt....

Montana Smith

Crack that whip said:
I'm beginning to see why we have such different takes on the last movie, as well as what we'd like to see happen with the character from here. I actually appreciated the reference to some sort of "actual" archaeological work, as opposed to the tomb-raiding treasure quests we think of when we think of the character. While we all see him and know him for the latter, I've also always thought that he did spend a healthy chunk of his time doing real, meticulous, careful archaeology; it just doesn't wash that he'd have his collegiate associations and teaching position and all without it. So help me, I really want to see an Indy movie that actually gives us a little more of that - perhaps a prologue beginning with one of his "routine" field excavations that we've never really gotten to see, before getting to the peril-filled quest.

I realize full well that may be just me, but it's something I'd truly enjoy...

I agree with you. Indy is a bundle of contradictions: field archaeologist/respected professional and thief/museum mercrenary.

Until KOTCS we only heard Indy talk about proper archaeology in the classroom, whereas his practical side left a lot to be desired from a professional standpoint. From Lucas' viewpoint the potsherds in the respirator bag probably represented the dull aspect of Indy's life which he didn't feel exciting enough to be told.

Going way back to the time when it was suggested that Indy would be like the 'man with no name', there is a feeling in KOTCS of the retired gunfighter being drawn back into his bad ways by circumstance, and against his will.

Add Mutt to the mix and Indy had something to prove as well.

After retaining the fedora (which has a way of finding Indy whatever the circumstance) Indy, as a character, still has the option of seeking adventure.

Yet, if a further adventure had been planned as a film, it would have surely been in preparation not long after KOTCS. Since Lucas confirmed that the pieces of such an adventure haven't been put together, I don't think Indy grabbing the hat back meant anything more than leaving it in the audiences' imagination that Indy was leaving on a high.

HJTHX1138

Montana Smith said:
1. A perfect ending. Indy remains defiant, never relinquishing the fedora.

I always kinda hoped this was the reason.

The first time I saw KoTCS, I kept hoping he'd punch Mutt's lights out after grabbing the hat.

I really doubt anybody could interpret Mutt wanting the hat as anything but being an annoying little jerk.

Mickiana said:
I don't think Mutt attempting to try on the fedora was him thinking he deserved it, but moreso he was starting to respect Indy and wanted to try on his hat out of curiosity.

He was trying it on...literally and figuratiely.

A moment where Crystal Skull took Indy's best traditions and carried them forward successfully.

No words, just deeds.

Lao_Che

Rocket Surgeon said:
No words, just deeds.

Oh, Rocket.

OldVicky.jpg