TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #126
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Except for vanity projects, film is a business, nothing more. It's representative of what the ticket-buying population wants to see. Not of the world, not even themselves. Studios do careful research and usually know how to get their money back. If they're missing out, it's their loss.

It is a business. Louis C.K. made reference to that too before he introduced the Documentary Short nominees. But you don't need money to win an Oscar. You need a compelling story. The business model of victimization has run it's course. The world knows this. Hollywood does too. Money moves faster than social change.

I'd love a biopic of the life of Don Cornelius, or John Huggins. How about a legal drama around Charles Houston? Want an Oscar? Write a movie sympathizing Kony (his persective?) Matthew Henson, the Explorer who found the North Pole could make a powerful story.

Sheeeet. I should (as a white man) write that script and reap Oscar gold...for the Black man of course. Who'll fund me?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #127
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
You need a compelling story.
Story is everything. I'm with Hitchcock: actors are cattle. I'm sure plenty of winners and nominees would tell you privately all they did was look serious while the music swelled. While being beautiful, of course. Someone once intercut dramatic stock footage with an actor staring at the camera for a lighting test... viewers considered him amazing at his craft.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #128
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quick thoughts:

1. Very surprised and disappointed by the Mark Rylance win. It was not that commanding of a performance. Wry and resigned. Not too hard.

2. Equally surprised by 'Fight The Power' being played at the end of the telecast.

3. Speaking of the ending, gotta love favorite (Pittsburgh) son Michael Keaton -- what a deserving second act to his career. I loved the way he was there with Chris Rock at the end reaching for a cookie.

4. Chris Rock is right about Hollywood (at best) being sorority racist -- but his Pricewaterhouse joke proved he is grade school racist.

5. Agree with Moedred that the show is irrelevant. Forget discussions, mentions at work the day after = 0.

6. Charlize Theron, Rachel McAdams, Alicia Vikander and Soairse Ronan all looked great. Kinda makes me wish Kubrick and some of the old time directors were still around because they appreciated and knew how to frame a film around a beautiful woman.

7. Loved Leo making a point about climate change, and Alejandro González Iñárritu is the man -- loved his resolve in getting his speech out.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #129
TheFedora
IndyFan

Im glad that Leo finally won that Oscar. It was very well deserved and a long time coming.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #130
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Quick thoughts:

1. Very surprised and disappointed by the Mark Rylance win. It was not that commanding of a performance. Wry and resigned. Not too hard.

Very shocking indeed. Upset of the night, for sure.

Quote:
2. Equally surprised by 'Fight The Power' being played at the end of the telecast.

Kinda like the machine is trolling us.

Quote:
3. Speaking of the ending, gotta love favorite (Pittsburgh) son Michael Keaton -- what a deserving second act to his career. I loved the way he was there with Chris Rock at the end reaching for a cookie.

Quote:
5. Agree with Moedred that the show is irrelevant. Forget discussions, mentions at work the day after = 0.

It's an industry specific awards show. Kinda like Mike at my work getting the presidents award for best sales in 2015, but we don't televise it and don't get swag bags.

Quote:
6. Charlize Theron, Rachel McAdams, Alicia Vikander and Soairse Ronan all looked great. Kinda makes me wish Kubrick and some of the old time directors were still around because they appreciated and knew how to frame a film around a beautiful woman.

I'm gonna go watch Rear Window just for Grace Kelly, now.

Quote:
7. Loved Leo making a point about climate change, and Alejandro González Iñárritu is the man -- loved his resolve in getting his speech out.

You hippy. And that's coming from a Californian, chuckle.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #131
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Love the fist pump.

And you nailed it with 'Rear Window' -- though don't watch it with Finn because he won't get past Miss Torso in the first few minutes.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #132
Finn

Quote:
And you nailed it with 'Rear Window' -- though don't watch it with Finn because he won't get past Miss Torso in the first few minutes.
I had no idea she received a nomination.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #133
Pale Horse

Quote:
...he won't get past Miss Torso in the first few minutes...

Is that a Boxing Helena reference:

Old 03-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #134
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
C) Le Sab I'm directly calling you out.

Is this level of desperation that we've reached around here?

Sorry I missed the show. I was obliged to relocate residences so yet another Chinese national can park some cash in the overheated Bay Area real estate market.

Quickly:

Best Picture: Nope (The Revenant)
Best Actor: Yes
Best Actress: No (Saoirse Ronan)
Best Supporting Actor: Yes
Best Supporting Actress: No (Jennifer Jason Leigh)
Best Animated Feature: Yes*

* - No way Charlie Kaufman wins this. Half the Academy hates the man.

Best Cinematography: Yes (Really, really torn between this and Roger Deakins' work on Sicario.)
Best Costume Design: Yes
Best Directing: Yes
Best Documentary Feature: Nuh uh (What Happened, Miss Simone?)
Best Documentary Short: Yes, but a total guess.
Best Film Editing: Yes
Best Foreign Film: Yes (Even though I dearly wanted Theeb to win, there's no way Son of Saul doesn't win this.)
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Yes
Best Original Score: No (Sicario)
Best Original Song: No (Til It Happens to You)
Best Production Design: Yes
Best Animated Short: Not a chance (Sanjay's Super Team)
Best Live Action Short: Nyet (Ave Maria)
Best Sound Mixing: Yes
Best Sound Editing: Yes
Best Visual Effects: No (The Force Awakens)
Best Adapted Screenplay: No (The Martian)
Best Original Screenplay: No (Inside Out)

So that gives me... thirteen on the year.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #135
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

After 56 years -- and dozens of broken bones -- H-wood has finally recognized the genius of Jackie Chan. Despite dozens of imitators nobody does it better.

And you thought 2016 was all bad? Just look at that amount of joy!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #136
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Sunday night sure could use a little Jackie Chan. I scanned the notes from last year. Man, if the 2016 show was irrelevant, I guess we ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm at a disadvantage, I've only seen 4 of the best film noms (La La Land, Fences, Manchester By the Sea and Hell or High Water). I want to see Hidden Figures but it looks like a renter/buy on iTunes. I have zero interest in Arrival. I can't bring myself to see Hacksaw Ridge due to Gibson, Garfield and Gore. And I just don't yet have the resolve to see Moonlight or Lion.

That said, I don't think La La Land is deserving but even with the membership shakeup, I agree with the prognosticators that it will win.

And having watched the trailers for the films I haven't seen, I just don't see a true Best Picture in the bunch. Hell or High Water and Manchester By Sea are the type of small indies I felt like I'd see every other month in the early '90's.

As a Pittsburgher, I'm all about August Wilson and love Fences -- though it's a small (albeit powerful) film. With a really strong performance of Jitney just having opened on Broadway, I can't say if that will help or hurt. Jitney's opening will help build the NRG around August Wilson, but it will hurt because Jitney is a larger cast (I was impressed when I saw it in the second week of previews last month) and IMO a better play.

Sadly, I don't have any insights or thoughts about Moonlight or Lion. I don't think Hacksaw has much of a chance because of the 3G's and Arrival, 'no' I don't think so.

Cool article from the New Times on geographical preferences for different pictures.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:53 AM   #137
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm at a disadvantage, I've only seen 4 of the best film noms (La La Land, Fences, Manchester By the Sea and Hell or High Water).

Hidden Figures is as run of the mill as it gets. In a non-Affirmative Action year, it wouldn't have been nominated.

I normally end up seeing most of the technical awards -- and very few of the Best Picture noms -- but, not this year. I think I've seen a total of four movies that were nominated. Of those, the only thing I'm certain should win is The Jungle Book for Best VFX.

I wrote a ballot over at The New York Times, but rather than waste your time, here's just the first few:

Best Picture: La La Land
Best Director: Barry Jenkins
Best Actor: Viggo Mortensen
Best Actress: Emma Stone
Best Supporting Actor: Dev Patel
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #138
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
... -- but, not this year. ... Of those, the only thing I'm certain should win is The Jungle Book for Best VFX.

Best Picture: La La Land
Best Director: Barry Jenkins
Best Actor: Viggo Mortensen
Best Actress: Emma Stone
Best Supporting Actor: Dev Patel
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer

I didn't see Lion or Hidden Figures or Moonlight. But I can agree with everything else above.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #139
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Agreed -- those are good pics. Though even I'm a huge Viggo fan (and this household has been groovin on Captain Fantastic for months), I wouldn't be surprised to see Denzel win. He made Fences happen and his performance is nuanced and powerful.

On the supporting actor front, some who I respect are saying Mr. Ali is a lock. We'll see. I'm never right on my picks and I haven't seen the film.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:17 AM   #140
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Sunday night sure could use a little Jackie Chan. I scanned the notes from last year. Man, if the 2016 show was irrelevant, I guess we ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh man, if you had only known!

The Best Picture reveal! Talk about a WTF moment!
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #141
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Is someone going to make a movie about that tragicomic moment, I wonder?
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #142
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Is someone going to make a movie about that tragicomic moment, I wonder?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #143
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Very good.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #144
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Oh man, if you had only known!

The Best Picture reveal! Talk about a WTF moment!

Missed it. Miserable night with food poisoning. Though I did like the Rolex spot (will never own one though).
Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #145
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #146
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

No doubt the guy who had the biggest laugh was an actor who was not in attendance at the show but whose name was repeatedly mentioned.

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #147
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBoyd8
No doubt the guy who had the biggest laugh was an actor who was not in attendance at the show but whose name was repeatedly mentioned.

I saw the broadcast, but apparently this is too esoteric even for me.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #148
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Hilarious Indytim.

(PaleHorse too --but I gotta give the edge to the Indy based humor)