Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Fanwork and Activities
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #51
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Anyway, this has got me thinking...What if, instead of doing a short story, we just do a "commercial" preview for an imaginary series. This way, we don't have to come up with a story we all agree on (we can start faster this way) and just include whatever scenaros we'd like to see (much like Lucas, Spielberg & Kasdan hashing things out over a kitchen table). What do you think?

I think that's an excellent idea, Stoo! Kind of like the opening sequence for Scooby-Doo? It's a great way to cram as much of anything you want into one short. Also, the variety this offers us would be a nice way to keep everyone involved interested.

If anyone else likes this plan of attack, then we should start posting ideas.

[EDIT] Oh, and I'm stuck between B and C.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #52
Indy's brother
IndyFan

To get the ball rolling (pun intended) on Stoo's idea, here's some stuff I posted in another thread:

Quote:
Given the sense of humor the films have, I'd like to see Indy accidently flip a cigarette out of someone's mouth as he draws back to crack his whip.

I'd like to see him punch a guy in the face so hard, it knocks the guy out of one of his shoes. (Saw it happen for real once...it was Bad Ass).

I'd like to see a POV shot of Indy staring down the sights of his pistol while shooting someone and swinging by his whip.

I'd like to see a woman punch him in the face again.

I would like to see Indy smile after dispatching a baddie like he did on the motorcycle in LC again.

I'd like to see Indy in disguise again.

I also have another idea if we are going to go this route. One short sequence that gets broken up by the other mish mash of shots. For example, Indy is in a bar fight, he picks up a bottle and attempts to break it over the edge of the bar. It doesn't break, so he has to duck a punch. then show one or two completely unrelated clips of Indy doing something else. Then come back to Indy trying to break the bottle again, the stupid thing is still in tact! Indy dives out the way of a barrage of bullets. One or two more clips. Indy gives up trying to turn the bottle into a sharp weapon and just hits someone over the head with it. It disintegrates...worthless! Then he receives a punch in the face, TOD style. This last bit would end the animation.

It wouldn't have to be the bottle gag I just came up with, of course. I just wanted to use it to illustrate what I meant. If you guys like it, though, it's yours.

Doing Stoo's idea would also get us around the Paramount fade problem by sidestepping it completely. We could and probably should step right into some serious action right at the beginning.

We would also need some sort of a title, like "The Amazing World of Indiana Jones" or something less lame. Throw some ideas out there, guys. This project needs a name!

Last edited by Indy's brother : 03-23-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #53
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

I vote for A, but I would do.

My suggestion would be to keep the style relatively realistic and the animation simplified regardless of the style chosen.

Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars was a good example of an effective use of styling with creative animated techniques.

Title sequence, great idea – let’s have Indy wing walking!!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #54
muttjones
IndyFan

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
i think that we should have a short sequence of him dodging some traps in a cave or something before a boulder like object (boulder with spikes?) comes at Indy. He turns and says "Not again." or something like that before cutting to some other clips. This should be an actual trailer rather than just a mashup of different bits. it doesnt have to reveal story but having a short sequence before breaking it into shots of different events (like Indy's brother's bar fight idea) will flow better.
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #55
col.dietrich
IndyFan

i want to go for a more cartooney look so i would say F or D
col.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #56
Flannery10
IndyFan

This sounds like a very interesting project, but I'm afraid my creativity and time are quite limited.

But, I would definetely vote for C. Personally I like the Clone Wars style idea, somebody mentioned already and I think a harder edged Indy would be a better title character for an animated short than the cartoony version.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #57
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

It's all gone a bit quiet...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #58
col.dietrich
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
It's all gone a bit quiet...
well my sketch designs are almost finished, i will post them soon and maybe a sketch of the relic he is looking for.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #59
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
I vote for A, but I would do.
Not sure I really understand the last bit of your sentence, Junior, but you will probably be doing the brunt of the animation so your opnion on style is a big factor on the final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
My suggestion would be to keep the style relatively realistic and the animation simplified regardless of the style chosen.
Absolutely. I can re-post more simplified versions of B & C. (Those are the 2 that I really like and got a little carried away with the rendering.) I also agree on the Tartakovsky style. Not to everyone's taste but it works for me.

Been wondering if Holdeen is still in on this... "Earth calling Holdeen. Come in, Holdeen..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by col.dietrich
i want to go for a more cartooney look so i would say F or D
Actually those two were done with you in mind but it looks like B and C are the most popular choices (E is out). If we do decide to go with a style that you might find too difficult, don't worry, there will still be work for you! Your ability/willingness to contribute is important and will not be ignored. In the meantime, let's see those sketches!

I really think we should just make a title sequence lasting about 1 to 1.5 minutes. A mish-mash of shots from "upcoming epsiodes" and footage "exclusive to the opening". Indy's brother said it best with the "Scooby-Doo" reference but how 'bout something as cool as this: Jonny Quest (Indy doesn't necessarily have to be in EVERY shot.)

Nice idea with the bottle, Indy's Bro. Good gag! I'll try and "whip up" some storyboards for it.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #60
Ska
IndyFan

Woah! How did I miss this thread until today?

I'd love to help with the project in any way I can. I feel fairly confident in my artistic skills to add my input.

I really like the idea of a "commercial" style short. That would be a great way to show Indy in a variety of situations/locations with different relics and artifacts.

As for the character design (I like them all, btw, Stoo), my pick is for B. I really like that one.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #61
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
Woah! How did I miss this thread until today?

I'd love to help with the project in any way I can. I feel fairly confident in my artistic skills to add my input.

I really like the idea of a "commercial" style short. That would be a great way to show Indy in a variety of situations/locations with different relics and artifacts.

As for the character design (I like them all, btw, Stoo), my pick is for B. I really like that one.
Yeah, baby! The Ska-man is in the house! (I noticed your SKABatula handle has been put to rest.)
You work with AutoCAD. You're an architect. Take a wild guess as to what that puts you in charge of?

Looks like it's neck'n'neck for B & C...

P.S. Doing a short, title sequence also eliminates the need for voices/dialogue. (Though we will probably need a few "Ooomph"s, "Unghh"s and "AAAAAH!"s here & there!)

Last edited by Stoo : 03-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #62
Ska
IndyFan

I'm glad to be a part of this project! It sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Yeah, baby! The Ska-man is in the house! (I noticed your SKABatula handle has been put to rest.)

Yeah. Everyone (on every messageboard I post on) called me ska anyways...

Quote:
You work with AutoCAD. You're an architect. Take a wild guess as to what that puts you in charge of?

Buildings are my specialty. It's all about location, location, location...

Quote:
(Though we will probably need a few "Ooomph"s, "Unghh"s and "AAAAAH!"s here & there!)

I'll try to talk to my wife about allowing me to (audio) record our next loving making session...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #63
col.dietrich
IndyFan

i have 3 designs of the the same charater for the villain. they will be up later today
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #64
Indyfan4ever
IndyFan

Stoo, those drawings are awesome!! If you could use the eyes from A and the frame from B, I think you'll have a sick drawing!!!

-Indyfan
Indyfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #65
muttjones
IndyFan

so what do we need first? we need to make a decision on how this is set out. Does it start off with one fight scene and keep cutting back to it while showing snippets of other fights in other locations (my vote is for this) or is snippets of different scenes all mashed together? other ideas?

once we decide on how this trailer is set out then we can move forward.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #66
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

[quote=Stoo]Not sure I really understand the last bit of your sentence, Junior, but you will probably be doing the brunt of the animation so your opnion on style is a big factor on the final decision.

I suppose it would have been better phrased as "I'd vote for A, but I would do" in the expectation of people understanding my love for filmation and that of 80s Saturday Morning Cartoon.

In future I must...make..sentences...make...sense..or...HULK SMASH!!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #67
Indyfan4ever
IndyFan

Hey Stoo, I'm not sure if you had read my previous post but I think you should totally use the frame from B and the eyes from A. I hope you don't mind, but I combined the two. I want everyone on the board to know that this is still Stoo's work and I do not claim it to be my own.

-IndyFan

Indyfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #68
Ska
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan4ever
Hey Stoo, I'm not sure if you had read my previous post but I think you should totally use the frame from B and the eyes from A. I hope you don't mind, but I combined the two. I want everyone on the board to know that this is still Stoo's work and I do not claim it to be my own.

-IndyFan

Oh I like that!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #69
muttjones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
Oh I like that!

totally agree great job mixing them! could we get a drawing of the rest of indy as well?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #70
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
I really think we should just make a title sequence lasting about 1 to 1.5 minutes. A mish-mash of shots from "upcoming epsiodes" and footage "exclusive to the opening". Indy's brother said it best with the "Scooby-Doo" reference but how 'bout something as cool as this: Jonny Quest (Indy doesn't necessarily have to be in EVERY shot.)

Nice idea with the bottle, Indy's Bro. Good gag! I'll try and "whip up" some storyboards for it.

Thanks, Stoo! Great idea for tone with that link. I'd like to steer away from the "character intro" at the end, though. Just keep it frantic to the end! Also, if you want that bit with the bottle, cool! Just a suggestion on it that I didn't think of at the time I wrote that post. Each attack should be different. My order was duck the punch, dive away from bullets, pov villian punch. No need to do the punch twice. The first time should be ducking a knife or something.

Bah!, I just read what I wrote, and think it could work either way. One way, he gets his punch in the face after avoiding it (regardless of his efforts), which adds to the gag. The other way is for more of a serious action tone. Whatever. Also, just to clarify when I said TOD style punch in that other post I meant the POV one in Club Obi Wan.

If this is the direction we're headed, I'll get the creative gears grinding and see what else I can come up with.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #71
Ska
IndyFan

I'm going to be working on some ideas to pitch (using ideas mentioned in this thread). I'll upload some ideas either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon.

The faster we get some rough ideas down and agreed upon, the faster we can get started.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #72
muttjones
IndyFan

I've always wanted a chase scene across the rooftops of a chinese city. just a thought
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #73
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttjones
I've always wanted a chase scene across the rooftops of a chinese city. just a thought

That sounds cool, why not?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #74
muttjones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
That sounds cool, why not?

perhaps just a shot of it. i'm actually getting an idea for an action sequence right now. i'm gonna post it in a second.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #75
col.dietrich
IndyFan

i will post some pics of a possible vilain design today