What Fedora Do You Own?

Which Fedora Do You Own

• Total voters

jsarino

@Eric Solo--definitely envy you on your purchase. You mentioned you have to pay the balance...they didn't ask for the full amount up front?

@Djd1--that's some collection! If you still have them all, can you post up a pic of them together? Would love to see that! :)

micsteam

Djd1, to back up jsarino, here here !! Let's see some pics, preferably on you. We'd all like to see your collection but also it informs other members so they can make a visually informed hat selection.

Djd1

Sadly there's a clue in the 'previously' word in my statement. Apart from the AB, Fed IV and Steele and Jones the others have been sold on for a variety of reasons.

micsteam

Nice fedora !! Did you work the brim (turn) or did come like that ?? Steele and Jones usually gets the crown right with the right pinch but you usually have to shape the brim (work the turn). Nice !! :hat:

Djd1

I've not consciously worked on it...
It's one of their HJ replicas rather than a standard one.

jsarino

Nice pic, Djd1!

Eric Solo said:
@jsarino Stephan asks for 50% up front and 50 % some months later.

Good to know! *thinking of getting a AB fedora...and hope the wife doesn't notice* ;)

Djd1

Just use the old 'this? I've had this for ages!' tactic. Women do it all the time with shoes and handbags...

jsarino

Djd1 said:
Just use the old 'this? I've had this for ages!' tactic. Women do it all the time with shoes and handbags...

I did that when I went from the Dorfman Pacific to the Akubra. She didn't know the difference. :D She doesn't have much room to talk with her collection of shoes and handbags. I swear she buys a pair of high heels for one occasion and she never wears it again. :rolleyes:

Glenville86

Indy Hats:
Advintage Harrison Raiders Bash.
Advintage Harrison Last Crusade Bash.
Adventurebilt Henry Raiders Bash.
Adventurebilt Henry Crystal Skull Bash.
Todd's Costumes Coyle's Downtowner Fedora.
Adventurebilt Steve Delk "Fortune and Glory" Raiders Prototype.

Indy Type Hats:
Akubra Federation IV.
Akubra Federation IV Delux.
David Morgan Adventurer.
Miller Hats Indiana Jones x2.
Miller Hats The Adventurer.
Miller Hats Raider II.
Stetson Temple.
Dorfman Indiana Jones Fur Felt x2.
Dorfman Indiana Jones Wool Hat.

Glenville86

jsarino said:
^^^Holy cow, that's some collection! I'd love to see a pic of all those fedoras in one place. :)

Will try to get some pictures when the wife is not home in the near future. She really has no idea how many I have as I have most put away and only keep a few in view at any one time. :eek:

I usually wear my Indy hats in nice weather and the Indy type hats in snow or rain.

jsarino

Glenville86 said:
Will try to get some pictures when the wife is not home in the near future. She really has no idea how many I have as I have most put away and only keep a few in view at any one time. :eek:

LOL! Sounds much like what I do with my wife (with car mods), and could be heading down this road with the fedoras too. :D

I'm curious, since you mentioned you only use the Indy-style fedoras in inclement weather, the Todd's/Coyles Downtowner falls into your Indy fedora bucket. Of that group, it's easily the most inexpensive. Is the quality of that hat better than what the price indicates, or even better than the Indy-type hats on your list (ex: Akubras, David Morgan, etc.)?

Glenville86

jsarino said:
LOL! Sounds much like what I do with my wife (with car mods), and could be heading down this road with the fedoras too. :D

I'm curious, since you mentioned you only use the Indy-style fedoras in inclement weather, the Todd's/Coyles Downtowner falls into your Indy fedora bucket. Of that group, it's easily the most inexpensive. Is the quality of that hat better than what the price indicates, or even better than the Indy-type hats on your list (ex: Akubras, David Morgan, etc.)?

The Akubra DM Adventurer and Feds seem to be better hats. I also own a few other Akubra models that are excellent hats. In only my opinion, the Downtowner is more along the lines or slightly better than the Dorfman Fur Indy hats but with a more pronounced Indy look. It is a good lower cost option and made my top list as it is made to look more like an Indy hat than the more generic offerings. That old Dorfman wool hat which is the stiff one with liner has held up well over the years and has seen rain and snow.

I rotate wearing all my hats so not one of them has seen continuous use or what I would consider true "field" testing. I don't own any pure beaver hats and a few are a rabbit/beaver blend. I am very partial to the Akubra hats for their solid build and foul weather toughness.