Red Dead Redemption

Le Saboteur

Haven't played Red Dead Redemption? Got 30-minutes? Well, press play, change it to 720p, then sit back and see what John Hillcoat (he of The Proposition) has managed to make of the first third of the story.

Be warned that there is some violence and language. So if you're sensitive to such things, stay away.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cZUUVV2rjoc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cZUUVV2rjoc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

oki9Sedo

Its an absolutely fantastic game. Absolutely love it.

In a Western kind of mood, what having just read Blood Meridian and now playing this.

The_Raiders

I played it, and beat it. It's a great game, I've never really liked western anything, but this game gets a 10/10 for me.

Montana Smith

DocWhiskey said:
I want this game so bad. I'd throw a newborn in a moving propeller just to get it.

"Talk about exaggerating......" ;)

The last western game I played was Gun, and even that plays poorly as my PC is too old to handle modern games. It's a catch-22: if I had a decent PC I'd waste even more time on it playing games!

The TV ad for Red Dead Redemption looked incredible.

kongisking

My sister's boyfriend told me it is stupendous. I'm gonna try and play a little when I visit him this weekend. :cool:

oki9Sedo

Its a cracking good game, they've created a HUGE world.

I'm a huge fan of those incredible American vistas so to see it in video game form is incredibly enjoyable for me.

kongisking

I played a little bit at my sister's, and I must say that it was very impressive, graphics-wise, story-wise, acting-wise, action-wise. Why can't they make Western movies like this anymore? Why is it that video-game designers do a better job at certain genres than Hollywood?

The Drifter

kongisking said:
Why is it that video-game designers do a better job at certain genres than Hollywood?

Because video games are better.

Also, did anyone notice the random Wilhelm screams ripped from the throats of bad guys?
Also, did anyone get the "real" ending?

XanaduEli

i have only ever really played this game briefly, the graphics are really exquisite especially if you play it in HD and there is a lot of playability,

il have to borrow it off my brother again (y)

Dr Bones

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Also, did anyone notice the random Wilhelm screams ripped from the throats of bad guys?

I noticed it rght away! Made me chuckle.

Notice the dialoge lifted from old Westerns too?

Eg "Mind if I ask if you a personal question" "Not if you don't mind me not answering" was from Gunslinger with Gregory Peck. I only noticed this one because I had happened to watch it the same day I played RDR for the first time!

kongisking said:
I played a little bit at my sister's, and I must say that it was very impressive, graphics-wise, story-wise, acting-wise, action-wise. Why can't they make Western movies like this anymore? Why is it that video-game designers do a better job at certain genres than Hollywood?

I think that we are a little more accepting of the acting and plots of video games that we wouldn't in a modern movie. RDR lets us take part in the story and several sub plots as well as free roaming. The acting and story etc are great for a game....but I wouldn't be impressed if it was a big budget movie today. If you just sat back and watched RDR without taking an active players role, I think most people would find it a little old fashioned, 2 dimensional. The fact that it is just a game and is just graphics on a console makes it that little bit more impressive.

We have seen so many good, bad and ugly westerns on film and TV, that many feel the genre is tired for TV or movies. That can't be said of games whrere there are few western games let alone great western based games.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Dig it! Useless data. Which it makes it all the more compelling!

red-dead-redemption-20100701020552891.jpg

Le Saboteur

red-dead-redemption-oxcgn16.jpg

Maybe tomorrow a bullet will find me.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I must ask, is that song (Johnny Cash sings it also) used in the game like that? I sure hope so!

By now you're probably aware that the song is not used like that in game. Which is unfortunate, because it's a great cover. You can find it on the soundtrack, and several other things by William Elliot Whittmore over here if you're interested.

Dr. Dones said:
...but I wouldn't be impressed if it was a big budget movie today. If you just sat back and watched RDR without taking an active players role, I think most people would find it a little old fashioned, 2 dimensional.

Rumor has it that RDR cost between $80 & $100 million to produce. If true, it begins to looks slightly less impressive. Even in factoring an exorbitant salary for all Rockstar San Diego employees, I can't see where all the money went. Yes, it's visually impressive but not anything I haven't seen growing up in the American Southwest.

That said, there's a lot going on beneath the hood. For starters, there's an impressive bit of tech/code/whatever driving the wildlife encounters. It's very, very impressive watching the various animals interact with each other, you, and the environment. The various citizens of Armadillo & Nuevo Paraiso are equally so -- no comment yet on West Elizabeth yet. I haven't made it that far.

In the end though, the open nature of Red Dead Redemption is its greatest strength. It's also its greatest weakness -- the narrative is (thus far) too stretched out to really make an impact. So while fun and engaging, the substantial gap between the story events blunts the impact.

Ultimately though, I agree: The story elements aren't quite up to par with Hollywood, or even television; i.e., Lonesome Dove. It needs a little something extra to put it up there with celluloid Westerns.

Lonesome Drifter said:
Because video games are better.

Video games due many things well, but they pale in terms of characterization compared to cinema (which pales to theatre & the novel). Given the limitations of the medium, video games will never surpass movies in terms of story.

kongisking said:
Why can't they make Western movies like this anymore?

The really short answer: Because the American Southwest is full of giant track homes. :whip:

Nurhachi1991 said:
...and got my cards in the mail!!!

Awesome! So far I have two decks of cards, dice, and a bar of soap. I still haven't ordered a t-shirt, but I might have to get around to doing that.