Could it have been worse?

I don't know, I see all the glad handers and wonder what would have spoiled Indiana Jones for YOU?

I don't see all the hatred that the kool aid drinkers whine about.

I see members who cringe at the new Indiana Jones and a vocal fringe who suffer from growing up in an age of entitlement, the "Everyone Should Get a Trophy Syndrome".

I asked the big ape what would it take for you to dislike it, a South Park dream sequence?

So here's the challenge, what would they have had to screen for you to reject it?

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't know, I see all the glad handers and wonder what would have spoiled Indiana Jones for YOU?

I don't see all the hatred that the kool aid drinkers whine about.

I see members who cringe at the new Indiana Jones and a vocal fringe who suffer from growing up in an age of entitlement, the "Everyone Should Get a Trophy Syndrome".

I asked the big ape what would it take for you to dislike it, a South Park dream sequence?

So here's the challenge, what would they have had to screen for you to reject it?

Since I do reject it, I can't answer that last question. (Though I did start a thread where haters can post about the things they actually like about CS. While it's not a great film, it's still an Indy movie, and has a few things in it that make me smile.)

I believe a lot of it boils down to the viewer's age. Perhaps you've got something with the age of entitlement. I don't know if that's all it is, though.

I see the same thing with Star Wars. I grew up on the original trilogy, so I thought the prequels sucked. But if you talk to 20 somethings, they generally love the prequels and don't see anything wrong with them. To me, they're as boring as watching someone play a video game for two hours. Talk to them about the original trilogy, and they just say, 'Sure it was fine then, but look how dated it is now.' They like the pacing and the CGI of the prequels. And for some reason they don't mind the bad acting or the paper thin characters.

As time marches on (I turn 41 Friday) I find myself feeling more and more like Old Indy, cranky and cynical, and griping about how youngsters these days don't know anything.

Crack that whip

I wouldn't chalk it all up to age; anyway, truth be told, I always had the impression it tended to be younger viewers (20-somethings) who were its most vehement, vocal detractors.

I'm 44 myself, and while I do agree it's the weakest in the series I still enjoy it.

Montana Smith

It could have been worse.

The film could have been populated by twenty of Short Round's screaming offspring.

It could have been The Goonies. :eek:

goodeknight said:
I believe a lot of it boils down to the viewer's age. Perhaps you've got something with the age of entitlement. I don't know if that's all it is, though.
In terms of why those who love it love it...
goodeknight said:
I see the same thing with Star Wars. I grew up on the original trilogy, so I thought the prequels sucked. But if you talk to 20 somethings, they generally love the prequels and don't see anything wrong with them. To me, they're as boring as watching someone play a video game for two hours.
Would that feel like participating in a team sport where everyone is a winner?

As far as Star Wars goes, what did you think about Disney's The Black Hole? Is anyone still talking about that film, (besides and example of course!).

Was it as good as the original trilogy?
goodeknight said:
for some reason they don't mind the bad acting or the paper thin characters.
Such are the quality of the hooks of the original trilogy.
goodeknight said:
As time marches on (I turn 41 Friday) I find myself feeling more and more like Old Indy, cranky and cynical, and griping about how youngsters these days don't know anything.
From what I read on THE Indiana Jones message board I can't help but think everything is Grrr-eat!:rolleyes:
Montana Smith said:
It could have been worse. The film could have been populated by twenty of Short Round's screaming offspring. It could have been The Goonies. :eek:
Ohh, a practical example!

But Tanna, The Goonies was what it was supposed to be! Why can't you just accept it?

russds

Rocket Surgeon said:
...what did you think about Disney's The Black Hole?

I really like that movie, it was one of the first movies i saw on the big screen, I have a distinct memory of that giant fireball coming through the ship. :) Has a great score too!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
But Tanna, The Goonies was what it was supposed to be! Why can't you just accept it?

Thou speaketh in tongues, heretic!

For KOTCS was also what it was supposed to be, but is also far beyond the realms of acceptance. When the lamb layeth down with the wolf it produceth an abomination. :sick:

Montana Smith said:
Thou speaketh in tongues, heretic!

For KOTCS was also what it was supposed to be, but is also far beyond the realms of acceptance. When the lamb layeth down with the wolf it produceth an abomination. :sick:
My hero!

Indiana Jones and the Heretic's Tongue...hmmm.

You have to admit it was a well funded and polished abomination.
Montana Smith said:
It could have been worse.The film could have been populated by twenty of Short Round's screaming offspring. It could have been The Goonies. :eek:
That would have ruined it for you?
russds said:
I really like that movie, it was one of the first movies i saw on the big screen, I have a distinct memory of that giant fireball coming through the ship. :) Has a great score too!
You don't say you liked it because it was another Disney film or that it was good.:)

No one yet who liked it...at least there was a brave Black Hole fan.

I Don Quixote

Montana Smith said:
It could have been worse.

The film could have been populated by twenty of Short Round's screaming offspring.

It could have been The Goonies. :eek:
I hate the Goonies. I had to watch it in school.:sick:

And yes, it could have been much worse. I say the writing is pretty good, B+, A- material. It looks very good. It does what it wants and is supposed to do. It's a B adventure movie.
It isn't as good as the first three, but I like it a lot. And so does Roger Ebert.

I said:
I hate the Goonies. I had to watch it in school.:sick:

And yes, it could have been much worse. I say the writing is pretty good, B+, A- material. It looks very good. It does what it wants and is supposed to do. It's a B adventure movie.
It isn't as good as the first three, but I like it a lot. And so does Roger Ebert.

So what would have been over the line for Crystal Skull?

What would have been the straw to break the camel's back?

I think the writing is C at best and the material is a C- at best.

Indiana Jones was inspired by the B movie, it's not supposed to be one.
$125 million to $185 million is not a B movie budget.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
So what would have been over the line for Crystal Skull?

What would have been the straw to break the camel's back?

Hath Indy sleep the eternal dream for hope of redemption be not offered.

kongisking

I think at this point, I love Indiana Jones so much that anything done to it, I'd find an excuse to defend it. So I may be entirely delusional in my love of KOTCS. All I ask is that people not treat folks like me who admit to loving it as if we are somehow idiots for thinking such. Do I call Anti-KOTCSers jerks or scumbags for not liking it? No, I do not. At least, not anymore. In fact, I'm now quite willing to agree with many of their critiques of the film, and admit that it is not as great as the OT.

It's just a shame all KOTCS lovers aren't like me. Sadly, we lovers have our Montana Smiths and such who snidely poke unfair jabs at the opposing side as well, so there is filth on both sides, yes sir. I'm just one of the pathetic few trying to keep up a facade of decency and respect for all opinions. Which I'm well aware goes against all the rules of Internet discussion, where people seem to think being in cyberspace gives you the right to be a snide, cruel and vulgar jerk to those who don't agree with you.

Does anyone get what I'm getting at here? Does anyone agree that the lovers and haters should stop being so damned crappy to each other, and try to reconcile their differing opinions? Does ANYONE believe in honesty and respect on the web anymore, or was I just raised with a different set of values that most kids my age? Ugh...:(

Mickiana

"a snide, cruel and vulgar jerk" Who's calling names now?

"If you want to stop terrorism, stop participating in it." Noam Chomsky

Opposing view points are necessary in the process of critiquing. If there were only agreement, it wouldn't be a very interesting thing we were critiquing or there may not be a thing at all.

"When the critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself." Oscar Wilde

Not that I think the 'artists' behind CS were in accord with themselves myself, but you know what I mean.

kongisking said:
I think at this point, I love Indiana Jones so much that anything done to it, I'd find an excuse to defend it.
Let your freak flag fly...but it is good to know.:hat:

kongisking said:
Do I call Anti-KOTCSers jerks or scumbags for not liking it? No, I do not. At least, not anymore.
Got a good laugh out of this one.(y)

kongisking said:
I'm just one of the pathetic few trying to keep up a facade of decency and respect for all opinions. Which I'm well aware goes against all the rules of Internet discussion, where people seem to think being in cyberspace gives you the right to be a snide, cruel and vulgar jerk to those who don't agree with you.
Oh, now you're losing me...

kongisking said:
was I just raised with a different set of values that most kids my age? Ugh...:(
Come over to my place,I have a trophy for you!;)

I appreciate your delusional honesty...so without starting another thread, how crazy would you have LIKED it to get?

Armor on the monkeys? Would Indy kissing the <strike>Alien</strike> IDB on the cheek be too much?
How about a full on love scene with Marion... hmm huh hmm?

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
so without starting another thread, how crazy would you have LIKED it to get?

Armor on the monkeys?
I'd like to see monkeys wearing armor. Really, I would. Not guys in monkey suits like Wizard of Oz or Planet of the Apes. Real monkeys. That'd be awesome. And might have improved Crystal Skull, like, if the Ugha warriors would have had an army of armor wearing monkeys. Maybe armor adapted from Conquistador armor. Yes, I would have liked it to get that crazy. It was already a goner. Why not?

goodeknight said:
I'd like to see monkeys wearing armor. Really, I would. Not guys in monkey suits like Wizard of Oz or Planet of the Apes. Real monkeys. That'd be awesome. And might have improved Crystal Skull, like, if the Ugha warriors would have had an army of armor wearing monkeys. Maybe armor adapted from Conquistador armor. Yes, I would have liked it to get that crazy. It was already a goner. Why not?

As long as the armor was organic right? Like woven strangler branch gauntlets or fanged skulls as codpieces

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
As long as the armor was organic right? Like woven strangler branch gauntlets or fanged skulls as codpieces

Personally, I'd prefer metal armor - like I said, perhaps adapted from conquistador armor. Vines and stuff wouldn't do it for me. Traditional metal armor. But I like the fanged skull codpiece idea.

This monkey armor design is coming right along. Maybe for Indy V.

goodeknight said:
Personally, I'd prefer metal armor - like I said, perhaps adapted from conquistador armor. Vines and stuff wouldn't do it for me. Traditional metal armor. But I like the fanged skull codpiece idea.

This monkey armor design is coming right along. Maybe for Indy V.

Haven't finished Ape Slaves of Howling Island, (there are so many choices!) but has it been done?

goodeknight said:
... might have improved Crystal Skull, like, if the Ugha warriors would have had an army of armor wearing monkeys. Maybe armor adapted from Conquistador armor. Yes, I would have liked it to get that crazy. It was already a goner. Why not?
If the Ugha's stopped their pursuit at the foot of the temple/pyramid and the trees started to shake and shriek. Then the flood of alien controled monkeys get things moving again...trumped by the momma skull of course.

Might have lit the fire to open the retacting stair case and provided falling moneys to impale!

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
Haven't finished Ape Slaves of Howling Island, (there are so many choices!) but has it been done?

Face the rabid dobermans and make for an escape - turn to page 98.
Run for the treasure room, guarded by monkeys wearing armor with fanged skull codpieces - turn to page 112.

Wait 19 years and Spielberg will be saying, "Well, we couldn't come up with anything better, so we went with George's Ape Slaves idea..."