New novels?

Should there be new Indy titles?

• Total voters

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Do you want to see new "official" Indiana Jones books based off of other adventures we haven't heard or read about?

San Holo

Yeah, it could work. The Indy books I've read were entertaining, but all of them lacked something. I would love to see how contemporary authors would treat a Dr. Jones adventure. Think of Tom Clancy writing of Indy's War days and time as a spy. Or maybe J.K. Rowling would put that magic back in the story and characters. There is alot of talent out there and Junior's world is still waiting to be explored by authors who can do it justice.

Stoo

Get Drew Struzan to do the covers and I'll buy them regardless of content!
The novels seem to be the most popular (most accessible?) Indy products
besides the films themselves so if George wants to rake in some more coin,
I would say new paperbacks are a safe bet.

Pandora

I would definitly like a lot more books! as long as they fit into the indy-history and the writers are talented (and don't write more about army aircrafts than about indy himself ;) )

IndyBuff

I wouldn't mind some more Indy novels as long as they're good. I enjoyed the books by MacGregor and McCoy (even Caidin was alright) but they were geared more toward young readers (mostly young adults.) That's not a bad thing but I would like to see them branch out and target audiences of all ages. The books were great but sometimes the writing seemed a little too simplistic and lacked details.

Neverless, I'm currently reading through them again and I would like to see more. :)

HovitosKing

The existing books all had good and bad qualities, with the result being that each one was entertaining but less than great (save Caidin's two, which were both horrible). MacGregor did the best job of capturing Indy's character, but spent a lot of time developing uninteresting side characters and making Indy seem almost like a sex-crazed teen. McCoy had the best stories and environment descriptions (ie, caves, pyramids, temples, etc.) but wrote Indy as a bleeding heart liberal depression-era do-gooder who gives extra change to the poor and ponders the meaning of it all ALL the time. That was an annoying treatment of an otherwise decent set of books. Caidin's were just horrible. Period.

All in all, I definitely want to see new books-- by someone who hasn't already done some. Someone who isn't afraid to just sit back and advance the stories rather than put his/her own unique spin on the characters themselves. Nothing I hate more than artistic license.

Tom Jones

HovitosKing said:
The existing books all had good and bad qualities, with the result being that each one was entertaining but less than great (save Caidin's two, which were both horrible). MacGregor did the best job of capturing Indy's character, but spent a lot of time developing uninteresting side characters and making Indy seem almost like a sex-crazed teen. McCoy had the best stories and environment descriptions (ie, caves, pyramids, temples, etc.) but wrote Indy as a bleeding heart liberal depression-era do-gooder who gives extra change to the poor and ponders the meaning of it all ALL the time.
Just have MacGregor write all the dialog and character descriptions and have McCoy write the overall story and setting. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. ;)

HovitosKing

Now that Indy IV is a "done" deal...

hopefully a renewed interest in the Indy novels will arise. If so, what artifact do you think Indy should/will go after in the first new post-Indy IV Indy novel?

Webley

I hope that if thay do new books thay will fill in the gap of what Indy has been up to since we last saw him in LC and this new movie

indyt

Webley said:
I hope that if thay do new books thay will fill in the gap of what Indy has been up to since we last saw him in LC and this new movie

I totally agree

indyt

Doc Savage said:
The Urim and Thummim...

Now that would be interesting. What do you propose? I also have another question? What do you think the Urim and Thummim was? I know that it told the will of God to the priests and leaders ( or a type of casting lots), but I was wondering if you thought it was crystals ( an actual physical object ) or a process. Some say it was placed in the breastplate of the Hight Priest. Just curious.
Thanks for your reply.

Doc Savage

indyt said:
I also have another question? What do you think the Urim and Thummim was? I know that it told the will of God to the priests and leaders ( or a type of casting lots), but I was wondering if you thought it was crystals ( an actual physical object ) or a process. Some say it was placed in the breastplate of the Hight Priest.
That's my opinion...jewels stored in the high priest's breastplate. The literal translation is "lights and perfections" or "truth and revelation," which is a perfect type of New Testament translation. But for this endeavor, a set of mystical gemstones would do quite nicely. A sort of "race for the source of ultimate knowledge" type of thing.

JimmyPSHayes

I agree that a novel filling in the gap between Last Crusade and Indy 4 would be awesome, but I'll be happy if they do another novel period!!! :)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Doc Savage said:
That's my opinion...jewels stored in the high priest's breastplate. The literal translation is "lights and perfections" or "truth and revelation," which is a perfect type of New Testament translation. But for this endeavor, a set of mystical gemstones would do quite nicely. A sort of "race for the source of ultimate knowledge" type of thing.

Note: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Belloq was already wearing it. Maybe VP can grab a pic of it for us. It's in this scene:

showimage.php

Doc Savage

Pale Horse said:
Note: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Belloq was already wearing it.
I always assumed that was a German-issue Aaronic breastplate. I think they stored those right behind the Lugers...;)