Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #51
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
It would work well in making the audience fear for Indy, and further show how he can get hurt. So yes, I would love to see that in the film, but doubt we will.
Yeah, I know.
From trailer censorship, it looks like there will be no (or little) gore in Indy Fore.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #52
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

More irony, this time from Rick McCallum:

"Over the years, the fan support for Young Indiana Jones has swelled, and I'm asked about it everywhere I go. So, I'm really happy that people who grew up with it can at last have it for themselves, and that a new generation will be able to discover the brilliant acting, directing, writing and storytelling that has always been the hallmark of an extraordinary venture."

Source: http://www.starwars.com/community/ne...827/index.html
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #53
Flannery10
IndyFan

Maybe Lucas and McCallum really have the illusion that no one of the Young Indy fans cared about the Old Indy bookends. Someone should seriously tell them.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #54
davros72
IndyFan

I have to confess, I probably wouldn't be as upset about the non-inclusion of the Old Indy sequences (at least in some form) were it not for the fact that George Hall was in one of my favorite little "hidden gems" of a show, "Remember WENN" which was made a few years after Young Indy. He played a funny, sweet old man who worked at a Pittsburgh radio station in the late 30s/early 40s. He did such a wonderful job in that show. Because of that, I have a stronger loyalty to George Hall than I might otherwise have.

But even without that, I'd still be upset that the DVDs are not "complete" without the Old Indy bookends, even if they were relegated to a deleted scenes section, or even easter eggs.

Anyway, still gonna complete my collection with Vol. 3 in April. Then the wife and I are gonna settle down and start Young Indy as our latest DVD-watching "marathon" (currently we're enjoying "Freaks and Geeks").
davros72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #55
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros72
(currently we're enjoying "Freaks and Geeks")

You have very good taste in TV.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #56
davros72
IndyFan

Quote:
You have very good taste in TV.
Thank you, sir!

It's amazing how many of the actors and actresses on this show have since gone on to become famous (or at least more well-known) in other stuff, even people in smaller roles.

...Including KOTCS's very own Shia!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #57
Indy Smith
IndyFan

I found these bookens by Youtubing George hall. So then I find this thread. I got goosebumps on the last one where he's talking about Gathering pebbles. I remember that speech a lot and the Albert Schwiezer episode was one of my favourite episodes and not because it was filled with action, but i think because of the moral and sentimental value.

I'll admit I found the first Bookend on the Curse of the jackal a little patronising, but I think as I watched on I think the tone changed slightly.
Indy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #58
Stoo
IndyFan

Hey, Indy Smith, glad to hear you're digging them the 2nd time around.
Stay tuned for Part 4 as this installment is undoubtedly the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros72
It's amazing how many of the actors and actresses on this show have since gone on to become famous (or at least more well-known) in other stuff, even people in smaller roles.

...Including KOTCS's very own Shia!
Mmmm...Shia in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"? Don't think so...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #59
Flannery10
IndyFan

How many bookends are you gonna include in Part 4, Stoo? Already looking forward to them.
As for Shia, I think he meant Freaks and Geeks and not Young Indy.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #60
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

I too cannot wait for part 4, how many parts will we get in total? Thanks again, its good to see these things, brings back alot of half remembered memories..
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #61
Whipper
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Smith
I found these bookens by Youtubing George hall. So then I find this thread. I got goosebumps on the last one where he's talking about Gathering pebbles. I remember that speech a lot and the Albert Schwiezer episode was one of my favourite episodes and not because it was filled with action, but i think because of the moral and sentimental value.
And a large part of it is in the bookends tying a big encompassing bow on it all. I love how "Mike" ends up volunteering his blood. It was good to see one of Old Indy's stories make an important difference in the present. Also, hearing that the little boy grew up to be the father of his country...that's an enormous little detail to lose.

And quoting that Schweitzer speech and letting us know that he went back to Africa and began again.

Heheh, And the last exchange with Mike:

Mike: "I hate needles. I'm sorry I ever met you."
Indy: "I have that affect on people."

Fun.

I want the Chronicles back, dammit... I dig the Chronicle format so much more. German East Africa, December 1916. Congo, January 1917. That's how I remember these episodes.

Beyond losing that, I also dislike some of the re-edits that went on beyond the bookends, in this same two-parter. Like in the opening battle in German East African, the original slo-mo shot of Indy reviving and jumping up to lead the charge was changed for no particular reason I can see.

I also really missed the original actor voices of Major Boucher and Sgt. Barthelmy. Boucher, especially. The new guy just lacks the intensity in the key scenes and that makes 'em just a tad flat.

(Which isn't too surprising, considering how different it must be for an actor to be standing in a studio at a microphone, compared to being outside, in the scene, in costume, all worked up and frothing at the mouth.)

Back in the day, the original performance sent chills thru me, when Boucher's got 'em all lined up and they're refusing to leave without the child:

"Do you think you can Test me?? Do you think I can't shoot All of you?? By God, I will! I'll shoot Every last man! Starting with You!" Okaaayy, time for Indy to step in...!
Whipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #62
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

One thing I always found strange about the bookends is that a lot of times, the credits would zoom by, with each lasting about a second, and sometimes half a second! You can barely read the title before it fades to another credit, etc. One of the few positive aspects of the re-edits is that they give each credit at least two seconds on screen.

Another plus of the re-edits is the fading from color to black and white at the end. I guess it compensates (HA!) for the removal of the bookends, in that it gives you the feeling that this has all already happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper
I want the Chronicles back, dammit... I dig the Chronicle format so much more. German East Africa, December 1916. Congo, January 1917. That's how I remember these episodes.

I second that. Us Young Indy fans and the Star Wars original trilogy fans should storm the gates of Skywalker Ranch, South Park style.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #63
davros72
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
How many bookends are you gonna include in Part 4, Stoo? Already looking forward to them.
As for Shia, I think he meant Freaks and Geeks and not Young Indy.
Thanks, Flannery10, that is indeed what I meant. Just haven't been able to post in a bit.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #64
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Stay tuned for Part 4 as this installment is undoubtedly the best...

Indy beating up the punk donut kid? Great stuff. What was the Austria bookend? Ahh yes, the mailbox.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #65
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
I too cannot wait for part 4, how many parts will we get in total?
Don't know. I'm making it up as I go. Ha ha. No, seriously, there will be about 12-14 parts.
We're not even half-way there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
Indy beating up the punk donut kid? Great stuff. What was the Austria bookend? Ahh yes, the mailbox.
Correct-a-mundo on both counts! Unfortunately, the TV signal got screwy during Austria
so I'm missing about 5-10 seconds of the fade-in to the story.

P.S. Whipper, you are so right about the "Do you think you can test me?" scene.
I cannot watch the re-dubbed version.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #66
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:

I second that. Us Young Indy fans and the Star Wars original trilogy fans should storm the gates of Skywalker Ranch, South Park style.

Yeah, maybe we should.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #67
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
P.S. Whipper, you are so right about the "Do you think you can test me?" scene.
I cannot watch the re-dubbed version.

Could you up the original scene to youtube for me mate? I haven't seen it in years... Or, if you have the inclination, could you do a before and after comparison with both videos?

I have to ask, with regard redubbing Barthelmey and Bouttcher - WHY!?!
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #68
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Yeah, I'd love to see those too, only 25 posts before I get an Avatar . hoorah!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #69
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
Yeah, I'd love to see those too, only 25 posts before I get an Avatar . hoorah!

Great, I guess you're gonna pick a Young Indy avatar, eh?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #70
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Part 4

Old Indy Goes to Jail!

While puttering around New Jersey, old Professor Jones gets hungry.
He makes a stop at Bessie’s Burgers before continuing on to dish out
his life experiences on the younger generation. Still hungry, he pops
into Donut Delite but for a treat but, this time, his outburst goes a
little too far and he ends up behind bars.

The best of the "Chronicles" bookends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQRbrFHu55E
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #71
metalinvader
IndyFan

Haha,I love it.Really takes me back.I love how Indy hits on the mail lady after his story,Proves he he hadn't lost any of his moves,Even in old age!
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #72
Indy Smith
IndyFan

When I sent the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles videos to my friend who does not watch the series he sent me back this link:

http://www.kinokunst.de/FBooks_d/HFB...n_Ford_600.jpg

I also learned that a scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, The Young Indy Scene was shot at Monumnet Valley at John Ford Point. A location he used for his westerns.

PS. Loved Part 4 of the Old Indy Chronicles.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #73
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Great, I guess you're gonna pick a Young Indy avatar, eh?

Ha! Yeah, probably, though I dunno... I go in and out of being excited about the next box set, and then instead, about all this Indy 4 Fantasmagoria...

Part 4 is definetly the best part yet though, poor Indy, wonder what happened to him? I mean, he's hardly still going in that Parallell fictional Indyverse, I mean he'd be 108. And he seems far too doddery to go out in a blaze of Glory.

Does anyone else think, 'if only they knew' about those fellow prisoners, I mean we're talking about Indiana Jones here, its sorta tragic that they hiss him outta the cell. In his prime he woulda shown them a thing or two..
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #74
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:

The best of the "Chronicles" bookends.

Well, Stoo, once again you made me happy, just by posting bookends. Great job, man and keep em coming.

Too bad your signal got screwd up and those 5 seconds are missing, but hey you're putting them up and I'm certainly quiet happy to finally see them after all. In my opinion those bookends are quiet funny, and pretty well made, but not the best. I loved the German East Africa and Congo ones and they are my favorite so far.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #75
Indy Smith
IndyFan

In case nobody looked at the link I posted: