David Morgan 3 2.48%
Other 62 51.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #151
jsarino
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djd1
Just use the old 'this? I've had this for ages!' tactic. Women do it all the time with shoes and handbags...

I did that when I went from the Dorfman Pacific to the Akubra. She didn't know the difference. She doesn't have much room to talk with her collection of shoes and handbags. I swear she buys a pair of high heels for one occasion and she never wears it again.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #152
Salustian
IndyFan

Here's a couple of pics of me in India from Steve's website.

http://www.adventurebilthats.com/pho...&TD=01-17-2010
Salustian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #153
Djd1
IndyFan

Pretty cool!
Djd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #154
jsarino
IndyFan

Very cool, Salustian!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #155
micsteam
IndyFan

Very cool !!! What a location !!!
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #156
Glenville86
IndyFan

Indy Hats:
Advintage Harrison Raiders Bash.
Advintage Harrison Last Crusade Bash.
Adventurebilt Henry Raiders Bash.
Adventurebilt Henry Crystal Skull Bash.
Todd's Costumes Coyle's Downtowner Fedora.
Adventurebilt Steve Delk "Fortune and Glory" Raiders Prototype.

Indy Type Hats:
Akubra Federation IV.
Akubra Federation IV Delux.
David Morgan Adventurer.
Miller Hats Indiana Jones x2.
Miller Hats The Adventurer.
Miller Hats Raider II.
Stetson Temple.
Dorfman Indiana Jones Fur Felt x2.
Dorfman Indiana Jones Wool Hat.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #157
jsarino
IndyFan

^^^Holy cow, that's some collection! I'd love to see a pic of all those fedoras in one place.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #158
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
^^^Holy cow, that's some collection! I'd love to see a pic of all those fedoras in one place.

Will try to get some pictures when the wife is not home in the near future. She really has no idea how many I have as I have most put away and only keep a few in view at any one time.

I usually wear my Indy hats in nice weather and the Indy type hats in snow or rain.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #159
jsarino
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
Will try to get some pictures when the wife is not home in the near future. She really has no idea how many I have as I have most put away and only keep a few in view at any one time.

LOL! Sounds much like what I do with my wife (with car mods), and could be heading down this road with the fedoras too.

I'm curious, since you mentioned you only use the Indy-style fedoras in inclement weather, the Todd's/Coyles Downtowner falls into your Indy fedora bucket. Of that group, it's easily the most inexpensive. Is the quality of that hat better than what the price indicates, or even better than the Indy-type hats on your list (ex: Akubras, David Morgan, etc.)?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #160
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
LOL! Sounds much like what I do with my wife (with car mods), and could be heading down this road with the fedoras too.

I'm curious, since you mentioned you only use the Indy-style fedoras in inclement weather, the Todd's/Coyles Downtowner falls into your Indy fedora bucket. Of that group, it's easily the most inexpensive. Is the quality of that hat better than what the price indicates, or even better than the Indy-type hats on your list (ex: Akubras, David Morgan, etc.)?

The Akubra DM Adventurer and Feds seem to be better hats. I also own a few other Akubra models that are excellent hats. In only my opinion, the Downtowner is more along the lines or slightly better than the Dorfman Fur Indy hats but with a more pronounced Indy look. It is a good lower cost option and made my top list as it is made to look more like an Indy hat than the more generic offerings. That old Dorfman wool hat which is the stiff one with liner has held up well over the years and has seen rain and snow.

I rotate wearing all my hats so not one of them has seen continuous use or what I would consider true "field" testing. I don't own any pure beaver hats and a few are a rabbit/beaver blend. I am very partial to the Akubra hats for their solid build and foul weather toughness.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #161
jsarino
IndyFan

^^^Thanks for the explanation! I gave my Dorfman to my son, but have taken it back from time to time when I want to wear a fedora when the weather is lousy, or when I wore it as part of my costume for an obstacle course-type race in the mines (I've posted that one earlier this year). As sturdy as the Fed IV Deluxe appears, I can't bear to get caught with it in rain or snow...for now anyways.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 AM   #162
Glenville86
IndyFan

I really like the Akubra Feds. Super easy to bash. Think it only took about 5-minutes to get the shape I wanted.

Bought an Amish hat on EBay cheap and in excellent condition. Going to put a bash in it when it arrives soon. Think I paid 18 bucks for it. Crown height is good to take a bash. Also have taken a Stetson cowboy hat with a tear-drop crown I got pre-owned and cut the brim down to 2 1/2 inches and shaped it into a fedora or aussie looking style.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #163
Teneas
IndyFan

1984 Stetson Temple. My normal camping/hiking hat.
Dorfman. Someone gave me this not knowing about fedoras. Nice gesture.
1984 Stetson Wool Felt hat. Gave this to my son.
Fed IV. First main nice/more expensive hat.
Garrison. Not an Indy, and a recent purchase, but sooooo gorgeous.
Steele and Jones ToD bridge scene hat. Another very recent purchase and very very SA.

Think that's it. Wife says I have a fetish.
Teneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #164
Drones33
IndyFan

I was going to post a 'how many hats do you have?' question, however having read through this thread I now realise its unnecessary. The reason I was going to put that question out there is, I've been looking to get a second fedora. The one I have is from a German company called AdVintage and it's great. Only 50, pre-bashed, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's so stiff I'm convinced it's bullet-proof and refuses to be re-shaped. So I've decided I'd like a new one but was thinking two might be a little self-indulgent. Clearly that's not the case
But which one to go for? Well, after a little research, and having seen some recently posted photos (thanks Jsarino!) I've decided a FedIV is the way to go.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #165
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
I was going to post a 'how many hats do you have?' question, however having read through this thread I now realise its unnecessary. The reason I was going to put that question out there is, I've been looking to get a second fedora. The one I have is from a German company called AdVintage and it's great. Only 50, pre-bashed, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's so stiff I'm convinced it's bullet-proof and refuses to be re-shaped. So I've decided I'd like a new one but was thinking two might be a little self-indulgent. Clearly that's not the case
But which one to go for? Well, after a little research, and having seen some recently posted photos (thanks Jsarino!) I've decided a FedIV is the way to go.

Is the one you have the Junior Fedora? Just curious how it holds up.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #166
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Is the one you have the Junior Fedora? Just curious how it holds up.
Yeah, that's the one. I love it. Just a bit stiff and after wearing it pretty much daily for months it still looks new. Need to beat it up a bit more.Great though, correct sizing, good service from AdVintage too...

Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #167
jsarino
IndyFan

Quote:

Hope you enjoy yours, and no problem! I actually have the Fed IV Deluxe (which is a touch more), but you can't go wrong with either one at that price range.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #168
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one. I love it. Just a bit stiff and after wearing it pretty much daily for months it still looks new. Need to beat it up a bit more.Great though, correct sizing, good service from AdVintage too...

Looks really good on you. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #169
Glenville86
IndyFan

Recently ordered what I think will be my last fedora hats. I have the David Morgan Adventurer, Fed IV in brown and a Fed Delux in brown already. Went ahead and ordered the Fed IV in dark grey and light grey.

I cannot possibly wear out the hats I have in my lifetime......

To be honest, I have a couple of higher end Indy hats and they are nice but I like the Federation hats more. Not as an Indy movie hat but just as a good wearing hat. Never have bought a full beaver hat though but just cannot see where I can justify the price.

The more expensive ones I own are lighter and are good in warmer weather. I have found the Feds to be toasty.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #170
Drones33
IndyFan

Sounds like quite a collection. Do you have an absolute favourite; one that you find yourself most drawn to?
Just ordered a Fed IV. I'm visiting York for a few days in a couple of weeks, hoping it arrives before that so I can take it on its first adventure
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #171
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Sounds like quite a collection. Do you have an absolute favourite; one that you find yourself most drawn to?
Just ordered a Fed IV. I'm visiting York for a few days in a couple of weeks, hoping it arrives before that so I can take it on its first adventure

I actually wear the Fed IV in brown more than any of the others. If I had to do it over, think I would have only one "upper end" Indy hat and the Fed IV in the colors I have. I like all my hats (maybe not the Dorfman so much) but have been really impressed with Akubra for the price.

I have too many leather jackets as well including some Indy style ones.......More than I could wear out in my remaining lifetime.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #172
jsarino
IndyFan

Quote:
I have too many leather jackets as well including some Indy style ones.......More than I could wear out in my remaining lifetime.

How many is too many? If you have as many leather jackets as hats, yeah, I'd say that would be a problem. I have three leather jackets (2 fleece-lined, then the Todd's), and would like to get another bomber jacket, a RAF WWII-style like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-B3-Brown...p2054897.l4275. The wife would kill me though.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #173
Glenville86
IndyFan

My wife has a walk in closet full of shoes, boots, coats, and everything else...

She has made a couple remarks about mine and I just mention her overflowing walk in closet.

I have about 15 leather coats. Most I have picked up pre-owned on EBay over the years. I normally like the 3/4 length style leather coats. The only new ones I have bought is an LL Bean Flying Tiger, 3-US Wings Indy, 2-Wested Indy on order and a WPG Indy style.

I give a lot of clothing to charity every quarter when they come around and need to get rid of most of my non-leather coats. Still have about 7 field coats left over from my Army days (green, woodland, desert). Have an official licensed Duncan Highlander coat I never wear......
Old 11-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #174
jsarino
IndyFan

^^^OK, I think you win on the hats AND the jackets!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #175
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
^^^OK, I think you win on the hats AND the jackets!

You should see my functional sword collection.

I am lucky as I am retired from the Army and work for the Gov as a civilian now. When you are stationed outside the US, they pay your rent and utilities plus your normal pay.