Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Pardon my ignorance, but how are people doing these?

I suspect some sleight of hand involving tracing paper.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I suspect some sleight of hand involving tracing paper.
Tracing paper is for chumps. For the main figure in mine, I used a light box!

A horizontal mood has overtaken me so I made a new blank. Have at it, folks!

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Tracing paper is for chumps. For the main figure in mine, I used a light box!

Light boxes are only recommended for those wearing their big boy pants.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Pardon my ignorance, but how are people doing these? Do we print out the image from JuniorJones' original post and physically draw on that and then scan it, or what?

i saved the blank card to my computer and then with a printing program on my pictures , i made the trading card measurements and copied ten cards per sheet on bristol board, cut to normal paper size. then i have them cut afgain to the card size and now i have about 100 cards to sketch on.
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

However people are doing it, I think it's great that members are posting their sketches.

Stoo, A light box?! Shame on you...before you know it you'll be using the 'crack cocaine' of professional artists. The Opto-scope. So addictive you'll never sketch out a drawing again!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
However people are doing it, I think it's great that members are posting their sketches.

Stoo, A light box?! Shame on you...before you know it you'll be using the 'crack cocaine' of professional artists. The Opto-scope. So addictive you'll never sketch out a drawing again!

i have heard people using a light box to do their drawings , what do they do , do the make a copy of the picture card size and then trace it? cause to me thats not sketching a card......to sketch a card is to do it free hand and quickly .
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
Damon
IndyFan

I drew on paper and scanned the finished drawings later to paste them in photoshop onto the blanks. But I used photo-references

A few more:

Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #33
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
i have heard people using a light box to do their drawings , what do they do , do the make a copy of the picture card size and then trace it? cause to me thats not sketching a card......to sketch a card is to do it free hand and quickly .

Lightbox, Opto-scopes, camera obsurers, tracing - are the tools of the professional. If they say they do no use them, they are lying - including Drew Struzan.

If anyone is serious about being a professional illustrator, invest in one as time is money.

You can see a lot of this technique with the pro sketch cards but it's how you translate it that counts.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Lightbox, Opto-scopes, camera obsurers, tracing - are the tools of the professional. If they say they do no use them, they are lying - including Drew Struzan.

If anyone is serious about being a professional illustrator, invest in one as time is money.

You can see a lot of this technique with the pro sketch cards but it's how you translate it that counts.
i showcased my sketch cards on scoundrel art.com and i was applauded for not using the light box techinque, a few of the people loved the rawness of my work .
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
i showcased my sketch cards on scoundrel art.com and i was applauded for not using the light box techinque, a few of the people loved the rawness of my work .

We all LOVE your work, especially the Raiders Adaptation you need to finish.

There is nothing wrong in tracing as long as you are not using it as a crutch. Use it as any other tool as sometimes you'll need a ruler to draw a straight line.

Still, for me, there is nothing more fun than a blank piece of paper and a fine nib marker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon
I drew on paper and scanned the finished drawings later to paste them in photoshop onto the blanks. But I used photo-references

Great stuff, very expressive.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
indyclone25
IndyFan

here are some new cards i did last night

Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #37
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Sometimes the comp isn't working and you have to bite the bullet and stop!

It looked so promising in my mind...
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #38
indyclone25
IndyFan

newest cards
Old 02-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon
Nice work, Damon! Love the ones with Remy.
Quote:
Still, for me, there is nothing more fun than a blank piece of paper and a fine nib marker...

I like this one, Junior! Nice to see you that you're the first person to use my horizontal blank (based on your vertical blank).
Quote:

Yes. Even the great, Jan Vermeer, supposedly used a Camera Obscura back in the 1600s (and the technique was used hundreds of years earlier than that).

FACT: Drew Struzan used an overhead projector to do most of his movie-based work. (I had one at home but got rid of it because it was so damned cumbersome and I barely used it.)
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #40
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I like this one, Junior! Nice to see you that you're the first person to use my horizontal blank (based on your vertical blank).

Thanks. Makes a nice variation with a little more scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoo
Yes. Even the great, Jan Vermeer, supposedly used a Camera Obscura back in the 1600s (and the technique was used hundreds of years earlier than that).

FACT: Drew Struzan used an overhead projector to do most of his movie-based work. (I had one at home but got rid of it because it was so damned cumbersome and I barely used it.)

Being an Illustrator, back in the day, was little being in the magic circle and as this was a closely guarded secret.

Still, most artist don't like to admit to using reference but everyone has a swipe file!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #41
indyclone25
IndyFan

these are some cards a did a few days from the movie "attack of the hawkmen"

red baron

Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #42
MDew
IndyFan

Okay I was inspired by the other amazing artwork on here to dust off the ol' pencils and go to work. Sorry if this gets a little image-crazy...

BTW, here is the blank template for the "sketchpad" I made. Nice work everybody, keep 'em coming!
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #43
Rivers
IndyFan

Great work both you guys!!!!! Awesome!
Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #44
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
Okay I was inspired by the other amazing artwork on here to dust off the ol' pencils and go to work. Sorry if this gets a little image-crazy...

Excellent work. Love it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #45
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:

BTW, here is the blank template for the "sketchpad" I made. Nice work everybody, keep 'em coming!
wow , very nice !!!! , my wife says i need to just do the pencils and stay away from the inks , i think i was using the wrong size pen , i was using a .08 when i should be using a .03 or .02 to ink the cards . i will be domore soon , but have been busy seeling cards on ebay , i have been doing superman the movie sketch cards and bladerunner and they have been selling quite well . , but ti did sell my other young indy cards tho, the attack of the hawkmen i didnt posy on ebay , because i knew in my gut they could be better .
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #46
MDew
IndyFan

Quote:
wow , very nice !!!! , my wife says i need to just do the pencils and stay away from the inks , i think i was using the wrong size pen , i was using a .08 when i should be using a .03 or .02 to ink the cards . i will be domore soon , but have been busy seeling cards on ebay , i have been doing superman the movie sketch cards and bladerunner and they have been selling quite well . , but ti did sell my other young indy cards tho, the attack of the hawkmen i didnt posy on ebay , because i knew in my gut they could be better .

Thanks, yeah I tried finishing a few in pens but I'm always way too paranoid about messing up. I find that scanning at each step creates a good "save point." Still, I'd like to try a few quick caricatures out to see if I've still got it.

Here's a few more I whipped out yesterday:

Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #47
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I tried finishing a few in pens but I'm always way too paranoid about messing up. I find that scanning at each step creates a good "save point." Still, I'd like to try a few quick caricatures out to see if I've still got it.

Here's a few more I whipped out yesterday:

wow , awesome
Old 03-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #48
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Amazing work!

And happy 20th, Young Indy fans! (I'm glad theRaider.net made it back up in time, at least in this time zone.)
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #49
MDew
IndyFan

Oh shoot, today's the day isn't it? Woohoo!
CeLeBrAtE!

More on the way!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #50
phantom train
IndyFan

Great pics.! I don't have anything to add since I'm no artist, but I appreciate these posts.

And of course, Happy Anniversary to the YIJC. I remember seeing "YIJ and the Curse of the Jackal" 20 years ago as if it were yesterday....
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote