TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 32 56.14%
Todd's Costumes 11 19.30%
Steele and Jones 3 5.26%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #76
Drones33
IndyFan

Shrunken Lamb Hero...

I`d very much appreciate your opinions here gentlemen. As I previously mentioned, I was so impressed with the custom made Last Crusade I got from Wested in February, I recently ordered the Hero Raiders in shrunken lamb. It arrived on friday and I must say, at first I wasn`t sure about it at all. To the point where I seriously considered returning it. I was well aware that it has a different shape to the more compemporary cut of the Wested jackets I`m familiar with. What hadn`t occurred to me however was just how very different the shape is and how that would impact the sizing, despite having ordered it with exactly the same measurements as my custom LC. For example the 24 inch sleeves, which fit perfectly on the LC, were now past my knuckles due to the fact that it hangs off the shoulders.(Ive had to fold them up by about an inch and a half, will have to get them altered.). Indeed, the generally slouchy shape means that the jacket appears considerably longer than I expected or am used to, and the fit is quite loose, almost feels too big.
So, I was very tempted to get rid. And then... completely changed my mind. Ive worn it for two days, and it is I have to say extremely comfortable, very lightweight and soft. It got rained on quite heavily yesterday, and already its beginning to take on a lived-in look, and the texture and grain of the shrunken lambskin are beautiful. So I think with a bit of getting used to this`ll be a keeper. What do you boys think though, too big? Too long?

Last edited by Drones33 : 12-14-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #77
Major West
IndyFan

I think it looks fine Drones33. The shrunken leather turned out well on that. The fit doesn't look odd at all (for the hero). Or the length which I recall from stills I was looking at recently for Raiders, side pockets should sit about halfway down the trouser belt so that's accurate. Definitely keep it.

I know what what you mean about the sleeves though, I had exactly the same problem with the ToD jacket. Hadn't accounted for the shoulder hang, but the rest of jacket and leather turned out well so I thought I'd fix the sleeves at a later date.

Re my Jacket, yes I think it is either dark brown lambskin or maybe it was a jacket they still had in stock from before they switched to using the thicker authentic lambskin. Which do I prefer, if it was one or the other I'd prefer the thicker Authentic, however the lighter skin is very comfortable to wear, it just feels a bit delicate. So I'd probably wear it more in the summer and the thicker authentic LC & ToD ones in colder weather climates.

Last edited by Major West : 12-14-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #78
Mickiana
IndyFan

Yes, it looks a bit too big for an Indy jacket. It is hanging off you, especially at the shoulders and at the back. But it depends on what you are happy with. If it feels good and you don't mind not being so screen accurate.....
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #79
Glenville86
IndyFan

I order all my Wested Indy jackets with a 28-inch back and one size up. The back of my jackets fall about 3-inches below my belt. The one size up keeps the jacket from being snug which I like personally.

It just depends on what you like.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #80
Drones33
IndyFan

Thanks guys
Old 12-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #81
Major West
IndyFan

Arty pic of my Raiders Jacket just chucked on the sofa with my notebook on top of it.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #82
Drones33
IndyFan

Looks great.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #83
micsteam
IndyFan

I got a Steele and Jones Raiders in Ribby Marino in October this year, I like it but really haven't had a chance to break it in since it's been so hot here in South Florida ! I'll post pics soon.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:31 AM   #84
Glenville86
IndyFan

Diego sent me some pics of my finished S&J Ribby Marino. I have a Bill Kelso as well. Will be interesting to compare them.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #85
Drones33
IndyFan

Wow, looks gorgeous. Ive just been looking at the Bill Kelso site. Sorely tempted to go for a Relic Hunter. Expensive though...
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en...ctview&prod=23
Old 12-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #86
Glenville86
IndyFan

I don't want to sound negative about the BK jacket but if given the choice to do over, would not have bought it.

I had a Todds latest run jacket and it was not that far off in looks from the BK. I ended up giving the Todds jacket to charity because it had a strange smell to it. I left it outside many days but the smell stayed on it. Was not even a leather but more like a chemical odor. The smell soaked into whatever shirt I was wearing after taking the jacket off.

The Kelso is a very nice jacket and I understand they price themselves up there with the big boys but to be honest, I like my G&B Expedition in goat way more than the Kelso. I guess I bought into the BK hype over on COW where folks were saying it was "The Jacket" to own. It is a nice and well made jacket but I don't wear it much at all.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #87
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
I guess I bought into the BK hype over on COW where folks were saying it was "The Jacket" to own. It is a nice and well made jacket but I don't wear it much at all.

Why not? Looking at the pictures it seems to be a top notch replica of the Raiders jacket. Available in two of the screen used styles from the film.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 AM   #88
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Why not? Looking at the pictures it seems to be a top notch replica of the Raiders jacket. Available in two of the screen used styles from the film.

I never implied it was not a nice jacket and it is pretty close I suppose to the movie jackets in the 1st film. I have Indy jackets from other makers that I personally like more than the BK. I am not a cosplay type. The BK for some is the "holy grail" of current production Indy jackets for some. I also had a Wested Hero jacket that I did not care for and passed it along. That said, I have other Wested Indy jackets I really like. Again, the Kelso jacket is a great jacket for the right person depending on what they are looking for. I just like some of the other offerings available on the market more than the BK jacket.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:31 AM   #89
Major West
IndyFan

I see, you prefer wearing the other one, for comfort presumably. It certainly looks like the better option for screen accuracy. However it is expensive and I also am not a cosplayer, so I'm not sure if it would be the jacket I would go for based on the price.

Last edited by Major West : 12-28-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #90
Drones33
IndyFan

Agreed. The BK tempted me for a while; it looks fantastic and, as Glenville says, it is kind of referred to as THE one to have. Realistically though, would I pay £500 for it? I doubt it. Not when it's possible to have a Wested custom made, in a choice of hides and styles for less than half that amount.
So for me, certainly in this part of the world, Wested is the one.
By the way, after some advice from you boys, and after wrestling with myself for some time, I decided to sell the Wested Hero I'd bought. Beautiful leather, and as I said, very comfy. Just way too huge. I'm not particularly bulky and wearing a jacket that was in real terms about two sizes too big, despite what the label said, just didn't work. And the colour I think is all wrong; too pale. So, back to the drawing board. I want something lightweight for the summer, so I'm thinking maybe a custom made Raiders in either authentic or dark lamb...
We'll see.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #91
Drones33
IndyFan

Is a Todds worth having? Read mixed reviews....
Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #92
Major West
IndyFan

Arrived today.. Pre-distressed Hide.. Raiders

The before opening pic.

Anyway, really pleased with the jacket. It's thicker of course. I was curious as to how it would feel, seeing as I've got Authentic lambskin Raiders, ToD and TLC wested jackets and this one is hide. It does feel more like a winter jacket, or a going outdoors jacket. You feel like you're wearing protection, but it's perfectly comfortable. After ten minutes of wearing it, it was part of me. Can't wait to see how it wears in after a week or two, which is how long it takes to loosen up apparently. Will post more pics of me wearing then.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #93
Drones33
IndyFan

Look forward to seeing them
Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #94
Major West
IndyFan

I took these the day after I got the jacket. By comparison my lambskin jackets feel like slipping on a cardigan now.

Raiders Pre-distressed Hide. Click the thumbnail for bigger pic:

If you don't already own a LC jacket I think this skin would be a good option. As above though, I really like the jacket. It's thicker, a little heavier, but the more it's worn the more it breaks in. Already had some 'that's a cool jacket' looks from people.

Last edited by Major West : 01-18-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #95
Glenville86
IndyFan

Very nice jacket - congratulations!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #96
Indy McFly
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Is a Todds worth having? Read mixed reviews....

Why mess with the imitators, go with the real deal at Wested.
Indy McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #97
Drones33
IndyFan

Preaching to the converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy McFly
Why mess with the imitators, go with the real deal at Wested.

Agreed.
Like a few of the gentlemen on this forum I already have several Westeds, in fact my new Hero in shrunken lamb arrived this week, replacing the Ill-fitting one I posted pics of in this thread, and it's a thing of beauty. Wested, in my opinion, consistently deliver the highest quality product and very best customer service I've encountered.
However I believe a healthy curiosity about other manufacturers is not a bad thing, from the allegedly ultra-screen-accurate Bill Kelso to the apparently shoddy Todds.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #98
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I took these the day after I got the jacket. By comparison my lambskin jackets feel like slipping on a cardigan now.

Raiders Pre-distressed Hide. Click the thumbnail for bigger pic:

If you don't already own a LC jacket I think this skin would be a good option. As above though, I really like the jacket. It's thicker, a little heavier, but the more it's worn the more it breaks in. Already had some 'that's a cool jacket' looks from people.

Great looking jacket Major, you wear it well.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #99
Indy McFly
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Agreed.
Like a few of the gentlemen on this forum I already have several Westeds, in fact my new Hero in shrunken lamb arrived this week, replacing the Ill-fitting one I posted pics of in this thread, and it's a thing of beauty. Wested, in my opinion, consistently deliver the highest quality product and very best customer service I've encountered.
However I believe a healthy curiosity about other manufacturers is not a bad thing, from the allegedly ultra-screen-accurate Bill Kelso to the apparently shoddy Todds.

Another important factor I think, is the level of customer care AFTER the sale. Wested contacted me about 2 weeks after to make sure I was still happy with the jacket. Their customer service is top notch, and they HIGHLY value their reputation.
Indy McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #100
Glenville86
IndyFan

I have quite a few Wested Indy jackets. They are really good jackets especially for the prices they charge. I had one glitch on a brown cowhide jacket where I ordered the hidden snap on the bottom and they forgot to do one side. I have 1/2 a snap. I had one in their shrunken lamb and just did not like the leather at all. That is just a personal thing though. I ordered a custom long jacket from them I ended up giving to charity. Really weird the way the jacket fit at the arm entrance. Could only move my arms a few feet up. Felt like the opening to the arms was connected to the waist. Their Indy jackets are excellent.

US Wings - their legend jackets are really nice. The signature series I had was a bad fit even though the sleeves and length were fine. It was just too baggy.

S&J - both jackets I have are excellent.

WPG Indy Jacket - good for the price as an entry level jacket.

Todds - I had one from the latest batch and it was good for the money. It had a similar thing going on with the liner where it was not snug on the jacket. Liner would show below the sleeves slightly and on the Todds, the liner had to be shifted to zip the jacket. I gave it to charity because it had a strong chemical smell that would not go away after months.

BK - I have already discussed in this thread.