TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
jsarino
IndyFan

Star Wars: Rebels

I don't think I see a thread specific to this series here, but if there is one, feel free to merge. The extended trailer for Star Wars: Rebels is coming out. What do you think? Do you think it will be as good, if not better than The Clone Wars series that preceded it?

jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
kongisking
IndyFan

That's certainly an improved trailer from the last one. A little more to actually chew on. I'm hopeful its good, but some of the elements do have my guard up (that Sabine character has so much potential to be an infuriating Mary Sue its incredible), but The Clone Wars ended up being phenomenal after the first season or so. I hope this show doesn't suffer quite as big an adolescence.

Cautiously hopeful...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

Same here. I would love to see some pre SW stuff with the Empire at its height. Clone Wars was good, but like most PT stuff, just not my thing(not bashing the PT or making it an OT vs PT thread so please don't).
S. Dakota Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Dakota Jones
Same here. I would love to see some pre SW stuff with the Empire at its height. Clone Wars was good, but like most PT stuff, just not my thing(not bashing the PT or making it an OT vs PT thread so please don't).

Don't worry bout that. I'm actually burnt out on prequel-era stories. I'm definitely excited that we're getting a Dark Times-set show, since I've always wanted to see more of that time period explored.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Don't worry bout that. I'm actually burnt out on prequel-era stories. I'm definitely excited that we're getting a Dark Times-set show, since I've always wanted to see more of that time period explored.
Totally agree, now is the time to bring the story forward to the OT and the ST, so I'm pleased we are getting Rebels. The trailer looks promising and I like that they've gone for a different style of animation over TCW.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
jsarino
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Totally agree, now is the time to bring the story forward to the OT and the ST, so I'm pleased we are getting Rebels. The trailer looks promising and I like that they've gone for a different style of animation over TCW.

It'll make you wonder though that if (and Dave Filoni has hinted here and there) some of the Clone Wars characters make an appearance on Rebels, how will the animators render them? You can already tell the animation here is a bit different from CW...the CW characters themselves were transforming as the series went along. In any case, I did like the depth and arcs the CW did, so I hope to see more of that with Rebels.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Looks damn good if you ask me! I'm not a huge fan of the way they do the CGI people that way, where they are still cartoonish, but otherwise I'm very intrigued. Was that really McGregor's voice?
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

Yep, the two things I always wanted to see since I was a kid and watched/read ROTJ was the empire before epIV and obi-wan and Darth Vader fight.I think this has been about as excited iv been about SW since that duel.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
kongisking
IndyFan

A new preview video, that shows off a surprisingly generous amount of footage. The good news is that this gives us even more to judge, and this video has even further bumped up my optimism for the show.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 AM   #10
jsarino
IndyFan

So the Inquisitor is more like Asajj Ventress, where he's Force-sensitive, but more a Dark Jedi vs. a Sith? He even looks like the male equivalent of Ventress, IMO. Interesting that Luminara survived Order 66.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Indy1Jones2
IndyFan

It's gonna be good can't wait.
Indy1Jones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

It does look good. I wonderbhow much 3points and R2 will have to do with it...hopefully not much. But . I also hope there isnt some OT character meet n greet every other episode. I was really hoping for this to be its own thing.

I havent looked, but im also wondering how far after epIII this takes place. The main Jedi character seems too old to have turned into an Anakin/Luke type of jedi. Would have made the inquisitor all the more intimidating if we though he was the only force user and lightsaber going in...maybe he was a padawan who escaped the purge? But, the kid is also mentioned having escaped from some jedi temple if iirc, so it cant have been too far after.

Im still very interested but just curious about some of these things. i do think the guy shouldnt have been revealed to be a jedi til it aired after watching the second video.

Sorry, for the random thiughts and i dont mean to sound like a wet blanket either guys, lol.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Quote:
It does look good. I wonder how much 3-PO and R2 will have to do with it...hopefully not much. But . I also hope there isn't some OT character meet n greet every other episode. I was really hoping for this to be its own thing.

I haven't looked, but im also wondering how far after epIII this takes place. The main Jedi character seems too old to have turned into an Anakin/Luke type of jedi. Would have made the inquisitor all the more intimidating if we though he was the only force user and lightsaber going in...maybe he was a padawan who escaped the purge? But, the kid is also mentioned having escaped from some jedi temple if iirc, so it cant have been too far after.

Im still very interested but just curious about some of these things. i do think the guy shouldn't have been revealed to be a jedi til it aired after watching the second video.

Sorry, for the random thoughts and i don't mean to sound like a wet blanket either guys, lol.

It was revealed last year that the series will take place 14 years into the Empire's rule, or 5 years before A New Hope. In terms of revelations, Hollywood reveals everything early, so this is no different. They want to capture the short attention span's. I believe it will take place in the "remote" stretches of that galaxy, so there probably won't be much OT character interaction.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

Ah, ok thanks for that. I really wasnt sure of the timeline. I kind of steered away from a lot of the info about this project cause I didn't want to know too much going in. These trailers are really the most i've learned about it since it was announced.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
jsarino
IndyFan

The newest extended trailer, showing the first 7 minutes or so of the series.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

I'm pretty much sold, I just want to know more about Kanaan's history lol...guess I better watch it when it airs.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
HenryJunior
IndyFan

I never delved into The Clone Wars, nothing against it just never got interested. I like how this looks, Pre-New Hope seems like very interesting territory.

I'm excited about this, but dang that was some the most obvious dialogue ever:
"Who's that kid?"
"This is interesting."

Sorry to nag but they did it several times, when it could have just been presented as a sequence without much dialogue.
It does it's job though I wanna see more, my only concern is if this will be accessible to the older crowd, not just aimed at tweens. But hey faceless stormtroopers getting blownup! So I guess they aren't shying away too much fro violence.

One more note, I think this footage and sound is a bit unfinished as presented. There were some areas that looked/sounded a bit bland, I wouldn't be surprised if the broadcast version is slightly upgraded.

Last edited by HenryJunior : 08-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
jsarino
IndyFan

Another Rebels short today. Raveners may appreciate what scene/music this clip references.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
Another Rebels short today. Raveners may appreciate what scene/music this clip references.

Yeah...I appreciate that Disney has nothing planned for Indy, save for sampling his music and motifs, and demolishing his stunt show to make room for SW Land...real cute.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
kongisking
IndyFan

So I watched Spark of Rebellion, and was very pleased and surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I expected something much more mixed or middling. But I really thought the majority of it worked fantastically. I liked all of the characters (even that Sabine chick worked well, mostly thanks to not being in it much and when she does appear, she's NOT using all her screen-time being feisty and sassy like I feared). They have great chemistry with each other, and most of the quips and banter work.

There's even some sincere touching bits, the one most prominent in my mind being a scene where the heroes hand out food to the poor. There is a genuinely great bit here involving Ezra, the kid who still looks a lot like Aladdin to me, which pretty much won my full faith in the show. If it can do more moments like that, this could be something golden. The animation even grew on me pretty darn quick (watching it in HD helps make it look a lot better). And holy...the ending montage was just perfect. Hit the absolute right note.

I overall thought this worked great as a launching point for this crew and their adventures. I'm pumped for where they go with it all, and Inquisitor is going to rock, I know it. Good stuff!

Also, this article highlights a really neat detail that old-school fans might really appreciate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...sive/16633095/
Old 11-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

I've watched the first couple of episodes but I have been too busy at work to watch the others. I am however recording them on my dvr(one of the few things that do get recorded because I don't watch much tv and I think it's a waste, but that's a story for another time), so I'm hoping I can maybe get caught up here one of these days.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #22
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
I've watched the first couple of episodes but I have been too busy at work to watch the others. I am however recording them on my dvr(one of the few things that do get recorded because I don't watch much tv and I think it's a waste, but that's a story for another time), so I'm hoping I can maybe get caught up here one of these days.

The last I saw was "Rise of the Old Masters" which was the proper debut of the Inquisitor. On the whole, I've been very happy with the show. It's had a much stronger start than The Clone Wars did (even though this does retain some of the flaws that show had in its early days). I really like the characters, their dynamics are fun to watch, the voice acting is very nice, and lots of visually creative action. Plus, plenty of John Williams cues! This is fine stuff. Good on you, Disney.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #23
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

Got caught up this weekend(except for Monday's episode), and I really do like it so far. There are a few things that take me out of it but overall I really like it a lot! I can't remember if it was "Rise of the Masters" or the episode after it, but there was something specific that really took me out of it being "Star Wars". I'll re-watch it to be sure but another one is some of the lingo that gets used doesn't sound "Star Wars..ish?" if you get my meaning but that's probably just the generational gap between my youth and...well now.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

So far, this has been a good show, but not a great one. I really like the characters and the ship, but most of the episodes have been somewhere between a B- and a B+ (with the exception of the terrible "Fighter Flight.")

I think the planet Lothal, where they inexplicably spend most of their time, is deadly dull and makes their universe feel tiny and boring. It's obvious the show is done on a budget, but, man do I wish they'd actually USE that spaceship of theirs to go hopping from planet to planet each episode.

Despite my misgivings, the last episode before the hiatus (shows to resume in early January) is called "Gathering Forces" and is available now on the XD website (it will air on Monday.)

It is outstanding! The best episode of the bunch by far. It's the second half of a two-partered that started with the solid "Empire Day" (which I'd rate highly, though a bit below "rise of the old masters.")

Hopefully, the show continues in this direction. If it maintains that level of quality, it'll be something to watch for sure.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #25
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Overall I think its been a pretty solid start to the series.

Picking out the bad first, Fighter Flight and Out of Darkness have been the weakest of the episodes so far.

I thought that as this was aimed at kids that I'd find the characters annoying, as it turns out they aren't too bad. The most annoying aspect is the alien and the astromech droid and the constant bickering with the kid, Ezra.

I agree with an earlier post that they should expand the scope away from that one planet.

I think whats made it easier for me to get in to is the references back to the originals, with the Imperials, their equipment and look and also the score.

I'm up to Empire Day now, by the sounds of it there a couple of good episodes to watch so I'm looking forward to those.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote