TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #101
Dene
IndyFan

Indy 5 is the furthest away movie on that list by quite a margin.

Absolute lunacy IMO, and doesn't bode well. May be a placeholder for cancellation.

Sorry to be so downbeat, but it's how I'm feeling this evening. Unless we hear more positive news soon, I think this is a very bad sign. Spielberg is not seriously planning on making this in 2019, when Ford is 77?!

To think I was hoping they'd be filming by the end of this year. I'm sure that's what David Koepp suggested at one point.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #102
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

The frustrating part is if they worked on the script now, finished by December, and filmed in 2018, a 2019 release date is VERY doable.

But because Indiana Jones doesn't have a billion dollar toy market, Lucasfilm/Iger clearly don't care about it.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #103
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I'm feeling some downright "Raiders112390" pangs of paranoia about Disney's commitment to this project.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #104
seasider
IndyFan

Maybe Lucasfilm wanted to get Episode 9 out of the way before tackling Indy again or Spielberg is wanting to take a break before Indy 5 as he has at least 2 other projects he's working on. Either way, it's hard to remain positive with this current bit of news.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #105
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider
Maybe Lucasfilm wanted to get Episode 9 out of the way before tackling Indy again or Spielberg is wanting to take a break before Indy 5 as he has at least 2 other projects he's working on. Either way, it's hard to remain positive with this current bit of news.

Yes, this can be seen as the logical consequence of the fast-tracking of "The Post" where Spielberg's slate is concerned, but one would have hoped that Spielberg would have viewed Indy as more of a priority given Ford's age. If he had, he could push back Edgardo Mortara instead.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #106
Dene
IndyFan

Maybe "The Post" being greenlit was the fly in the ointment, it knocked everything else for six.

Questioned on Indy 5, Frank Marshall talked enthusiastically of Ford being on great form in The Force Awakens (and he was), but this new movie if it gets made is going to have FIVE YEARS on TFA, no small amount for a septuagenarian.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #107
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene
Maybe "The Post" being greenlit was the fly in the ointment, it knocked everything else for six.

Questioned on Indy 5, Frank Marshall talked enthusiastically of Ford being on great form in The Force Awakens (and he was), but this new movie if it gets made is going to have FIVE YEARS on TFA, no small amount for a septuagenarian.

Agreed. This is terrible news. The only thing that would make me happy about this is if they later say that Indy 5&6 will film back to back and we will get 2 more Ford films (hey I can dream right). Other than that, this is terrible terrible news. I really don't understand why they did this. They can't just assume he will be alive, healthy and strong 3 more years from now. When you're that age, every day is a blessing and nothing is guaranteed.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #108
Dene
IndyFan

Will Indy 5 be motion capture?

I'm actually now expecting this announcement, if Disney are serious about going ahead with it.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #109
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I'm feeling some downright "Raiders112390" pangs of paranoia about Disney's commitment to this project.
His Disney "paranoia" didn't start until recently (which was a 180° degree turn from 2012).

A select few have been aware of the dangerous Disney acquisition. This news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with a brain.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #110
Kevin
IndyFan

Since Star Wars IX is now set for May 2019 instead of December 2019, maybe they felt the summer '19 movie schedule was too packed? If that's the reason, then it seems they could still film Indy 5 in 2018.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #111
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

That's the scenario we have to hope for.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #112
Silvor
IndyFan

Even though I've been mentally prepared for something like this ever since If the delay was because of crowded releases that year for Disney and they actually shoot the movie next year it still could work out but if not I would not be surprised if Indy 5 won't come to pass sadly, at least with Ford.

One would think Spielberg would be aware of the clock ticking, and he seemed to enthusiastic about the movie before it was announced too.
Silvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #113
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Since Star Wars IX is now set for May 2019 instead of December 2019, maybe they felt the summer '19 movie schedule was too packed? If that's the reason, then it seems they could still film Indy 5 in 2018.

The script would have to literally be ready NOW for it to come out in 2018. Sadly, all news indicates its still being written.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #114
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
That would make sense, but it's devastating news all the same.

Just forget about a new Indy movie for now and go watch "The lost city of Z", that's what I did.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #115
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
The script would have to literally be ready NOW for it to come out in 2018. Sadly, all news indicates its still being written.

Kevin was referring to filming the movie in 2018 as originally planned. Pirates 5 is an example of a movie filmed a full two years before its release. Perhaps Spielberg would consider that.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #116
Grizzlor
IndyFan

I'm fine waiting if it means they film as originally scheduled.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #117
Finn

Exclamation Moderator note

Moved all the relevant posts concerning this newest development from other threads to this one. Let's keep this discussion in here for now.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #118
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider

I don't see why they couldn't have a major summer by releasing Star Wars and Indy within a couple months of each other. Why it has to be one or the other with them is pretty dumb. Most people I know would gladly pay to see both, myself included.

Like others have mentioned, the clock is really ticking on this one. They waited long enough for Crystal Skull and now they're making the same mistake again.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #119
Lambonius
IndyFan

I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #120
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
C'mon guys, look on the bright side!

We finally got a release date for Frozen II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.

Yep, agreed: considering how unlikely it is that they still shoot in 2018, the postponement practically guarantees that scenario.

This is the only silver lining.

Last edited by Z dweller : 04-25-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #121
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:

Unfortunately this seems the most plausible. If that's the case I'd rather they just not do it.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #122
Silvor
IndyFan

Quote:
I find it a bit weird how Spielberg was so keen and enthusiastic about working with Harrison on Indy 5 before it was announced if this is the case.
It just feels needless to go back to Indy again for both of them if all Ford is going to do is be in bookends for the real movie. Just don't do it if you're not going to really do it.
Silvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #123
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
I find it a bit weird how Spielberg was so keen and enthusiastic about working with Harrison on Indy 5 before it was announced if this is the case.
It just feels needless to go back to Indy again for both of them if all Ford is going to do is be in bookends for the real movie. Just don't do it if you're not going to really do it.

The point of the bookends is to make the new film series canon with the original series - so it's better than nothing. A one year difference doesn't mean he won't be involved in the film in less capacity. It's just a bummer.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #124
IndyForever
IndyFan

Another year wait sucks but I suspected for a while it would get a delay as no proper news at all really. Would not be surprised if it never gets made either as by then it will have been 4 years since Spielberg said he was looking forward to it will he still be as keen?

Best thing they can do is proceed as planned get it filmed next year then spend the other time polishing in post production & or a few minor reshoots if it needs them.
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #125
Moedred
Administrator

I'm okay with this. I was just worrying this morning Indy might have to dodge yet another Hollywood strike...
Quote:
1980 Actors strike, three months
1988 Writers Guild of America strike, March 7 to August 7
2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, Nov 2007-Feb 2008
...but now that's less likely. It may still film in 2018. Lucasfilm apparently learned from Rogue One to have a nice long run-up, preferably 2 years as with Star Wars 9 shooting this summer.

Thanks to curmudgeon's excellent post. It's possible there will be no Star Wars Anthology in 2020. Even Marvel speaks of taking something of a break, saga-wise. And who knows what Pixar has on deck after its victory lap of 3 more sequels this decade. Here's summer 2020 so far:
Quote:
Untitled Marvel Movie (May 2020) (BV) - 5/1/20
Godzilla vs. Kong (WB) - 5/29/20
Untitled Pixar Animation (June 2020) (BV) - 6/19/20
Minions 2 (Uni.) - 7/3/20
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) (BV) - 7/10/20
Untitled DC Film (2020) (WB) - 7/24/20
Untitled Paramount/Nickelodeon Hybrid (Par.) - 7/31/20
Untitled Marvel Movie (July 2020) (BV) - 8/7/20
Untitled WB Event Film #2 (2020) (WB) - 8/7/20
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is in there and some of the others are probably guessable.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote