Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy

You know I really like Tom Selleck, but he wouldn't have made a very good Indy IMO. He makes a great Magnum PI, but he's almost too smug. Ford is serious and that's what I like about Indy. I don't think Raiders would have been as good with Selleck.

dostacos

Colonel Vogel said:
I know Harrison Ford was a great Indy, but I believe that had Tom Selleck not been tied to Magnum PI he would have been a better Indy. As many already know Tom was first choice for the role but had to pull out. If he could have done it, I think he would have been better and bought more to the role. I know everybody loves Harrison, and so do I, but watch films like Quigley Down Under and imagine Selleck as Indy and you have the ultimate Mr Jones.

Selleck was also a lot better looking, but that's besides the point.
well he is YOUNGER(y) :D

Indy_Chic

Even though Selleck was good in the Magnum PI show, personally, I prefer Harrison! I think he was perfect for the role of Indiana Jones and he is also very handsome *sigh* :eek:

indianaJonesTempleDoom.gif

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Major West said:
Yeah, haven't you got the DVDs? It's on there.

oops, didn't see the ts in your post. i thought you were talking about ford ...which seemed very odd to me.
i agree about the "ts"-audition though ;-)

in the end selleck's indy probably would have been just quite different from the indy ford co-created. my guess is it would have been more macho-like and corny.

Last edited:

Niob

IndyFalco said:
dude..no question about it. FORD.

I second that;) I like TS very much. Good actor and very nice guy.
But he simply wouldn't have a chance against Ford as Indy.
Ford IS Indy. I'm pretty sure that Raiders wouldn't have had this big success without Ford as Indy. Tom Select couln't play this role like Ford and this is one of the reasons why i cant believe that anyone other than Ford could give Indy this charisma.

To say that someone could play this role better sounds a little bit strange to me.:sick: (n)

FILMKRUSC

ElodieJones said:
NO !!!

Indiana Jones is only HARRISON FORD !!!
Tom Sellck would be good, but NOT BETTER !!!

Steven Spielberg say somewhere that if it was Tom Selleck, the movie would be more funny. Harrison Ford give to the part more humanity !

I think that hits the nail on the head. I agree. Selleck would have been different - funny, entertaining - yes. But I still would prefer Ford.

Raiders90

Last edited:

Perhilion

N-O. I can not thank God enough that we got Harrison Ford instead of Tom Sellek. Not that he's a bad actor or anything, but I just can't imagine liking the series as much as I do now if it didn't have Ford.

indyflys_solo

Not saying he would have been bad or anything, but... can you really picture that? I can't. For me, Ford defines Indiana Jones as a character... his strength, his courage, his smart-mouth, his unexpected tenderness... and of course, his zeal for the hunt and his tenacity never to give up. You can tell that Indy's character has made a big impact on Harrison himself: in the bonus DVD features, Ford speaks of Indy's quests as his own ("...I have to rescue my dad..."); he has become tied with the character and has given Indy Jones yet another demension for audiences to appreciate.
Another thing: seeing as Ford has just finished the 4TH Indy film, and Tom Selleck hasn't done any, don't you think this is kind of a moot point?:p