Netflix

Indy's brother

Duck Soup is streaming on Netflix. I can't believe I'd never seen it! It hurt my brain to discover that the sublime comedy genius that is Groucho Marx has been absent from my life this long.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Duck Soup is streaming on Netflix. I can't believe I'd never seen it! It hurt my brain to discover that the sublime comedy genius that is Groucho Marx has been absent from my life this long.

The Marx Brothers are a great source for quotes. Duck Soup is no exception:

Rufus T. Firefly: Not that I care, but where is your husband?
Mrs. Teasdale: Why, he's dead.
Rufus T. Firefly: I bet he's just using that as an excuse.
Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.
Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.
Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.
Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

Rufus T. Firefly: Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You better beat it - I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

Rufus T. Firefly: I'll see my lawyer about this as soon as he graduates from law school.

Secretary of Labor: The Department of Labor wishes to note that the workers of Freedonia are demanding shorter hours.
Rufus T. Firefly: Very well, we'll give them shorter hours. We'll start by cutting their lunch hour to 20 minutes.

Rufus T. Firefly: Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did.

And they go on, and on...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023969/quotes

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
The Marx Brothers are a great source for quotes. Duck Soup is no exception:

Rufus T. Firefly: Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You better beat it - I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

This scene was my introduction to Groucho and it had me in STITCHES! I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a very long time. Also, it amazed me that I never knew that his mustache was just painted on. I understand that it's a hold-over from the vaudeville days, but it makes the comedy even more surreal and hilarious to my modern sensibilities.

A night In Casablanca is also streaming, while not as great as DS, it's close enough!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I have Tucker and More American Graffiti in the "Availability Unknown" category, both Lucas productions.

Le Saboteur

So, here we are some five(!) whole years since the last post. Has anybody dumped Netflix? I still have my original Hulu & Netflix (w/streaming & DVD) accounts. No cable finally. Well, for about two years now.

Currently at home:

The Scottish Movie (2015)
The Dirty Dozen
Mogambo

But perhaps more importantly, will Netflix (one of the few original dot com companies to survive) be around in another five years?

Joe Nocera said:
They had good reason to celebrate. Netflix, since its streaming service debuted in 2007, has had its annual revenue grow sixfold, to $6.8 billion from $1.2 billion. More than 81 million subscribers pay Netflix $8 to $12 a month, and slowly but unmistakably these consumers are giving up cable for internet television: Over the last five years, cable has lost 6.7 million subscribers; more than a quarter of millennials (70 percent of whom use streaming services) report having never subscribed to cable in their lives. Those still paying for cable television were watching less of it. In 2015, for instance, television viewing time was down 3 percent; and 50 percent of that drop was directly attributable to Netflix, according to a study by MoffettNathanson, an investment firm that tracks the media business.

Joe Nocera said:
At the moment, Netflix has a negative cash flow of almost $1 billion; it regularly needs to go to the debt market to replenish its coffers. Its $6.8 billion in revenue last year pales in comparison to the $28 billion or so at media giants like Time Warner and 21st Century Fox. And for all the original shows Netflix has underwritten, it remains dependent on the very networks that fear its potential to destroy their longtime business model in the way that internet competitors undermined the newspaper and music industries. Now that so many entertainment companies see it as an existential threat, the question is whether Netflix can continue to thrive in the new TV universe that it has brought into being.

Full article: Can Netflix Survive the World it Created?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
So, here we are some five(!) whole years since the last post. Has anybody dumped Netflix? I still have my original Hulu & Netflix (w/streaming & DVD) accounts. No cable finally. Well, for about two years now.

Currently at home:

The Scottish Movie (2015)
The Dirty Dozen
Mogambo

But perhaps more importantly, will Netflix (one of the few original dot com companies to survive) be around in another five years?

You had me thinking there for a moment that there was actually a film obeying the usual Scottish play stricture.

I'm still a Netflix subscriber, both to streaming (which I'm probably not getting my money's worth of at the moment, but is of persistent value, especially for television) and to their one-DVD-at-a-time mailing subscription. Currently at home are <I>Foolish Wives</I>, and soon to be here is <I>Tropical Malady</I> which was far away and so they sent the von Stroheim first.

I like the idea of exhausting my Netflix streaming needs and opting for a disc only service, but I think I'm still some time away from that.

Hulu has a very impressive streaming collection, with a pretty deep bench of current and past television series along with, of course, the Criterion Collection, but I've only recently added that service, about two months ago.

You really do need cable to keep up with the best current series, though, should there be any for which you aren't willing to wait. (Not <I>you</I> specifically.) Can't watch the best drama on television - <I>The Americans</I> - without some kind of cable access.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I've had Netflix streaming for a few years and love it, especially for the kids, and looking forward to what the exclusive Disney deal yields starting in September. This is the best place I've found to keep up with new additions. It only needs North American box office totals to distinguish theatrical releases. (I first tried streaming when I bought a used Blu-ray player from Best Buy with someone else's account info. There would be way more than 81 million subscribers if two couldn't share an account.) Will restart the discs when I have time to catch up on 2015.

I watched the first seasons of Sopranos, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones on VHS, Netflix DVD and (ahem) illegal download, and I just can't get into these cable shows. Not a cord-cutter, I'm a cord-never ("cable companies hate him!"). I don't follow pro sports. Cable news exists only to generate gaffes. Every channel is packed to the gills with ads. Whenever I see pay tv somewhere the reception is ghastly and the aspect ratio is wrong. Meanwhile broadcast picture quality is up there with Blu-ray and it's free.

I just used Redbox for the second time, works great.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Netflix streaming spent $5B this year ($6B next year) in their pursuit of 50% original programming. Nearly $200M went to a Baz Luhrmann show few are watching.

Monthly subscriptions went from $8 to $9 to $10 with fewer theatrical movies as in the good ol' days, so I'm told.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Stranger Things is really good, its as if Steven Spielberg and Stephen King had a baby and out came Stranger Things!!!:whip:

ThrowMeTheWhip

Harrison Ford Is Returning to TV After 26-Year Absence in The Staircase Series

This went down the memory hole: Ford's first TV project since Young Indy? On an infrequent French docudrama.
Harrison is no longer attached. It’s Colin Firth: