Iran

San Holo

Well, Iran has kicked out weapons inspectors to put the finishing touches on their nukes. They have a radical leader,who was a terrorist in the Iranian Hostage crisis. He has vowed to blow Israel off the map, while his countrymen chant "Death to America". How long will it be before we invade? Should we?

qwerty

What is the matter San Holo? Do you wanna die?
Do not ask for war if you do not know what that means.

Jay R. Zay

qwerty said:

well, war is something different for the USA than for serbia. apart from this he didn't literally ask for war and most of all he didn't ask for iran to invade the USA but - if at all - vice versa.

San Holo

qwerty said:
I was referring to how the Bush camp is going to react about Iran not allowing U.N. weapons inspectors to moniter their nuclear facilities (when that happened in Iraq, we invaded). I don't recall asking to die anywhere in my post...How 'bout this -Shut 'yer dirty mouth before I smack you in it.;)

Finn

Staff member
San Holo said:
(when that happened in Iraq, we invaded)
Now this one's going to get some opinions that may differ slightly from this statement. But I'm not getting into it.

<small>Actually, this seems like one of the threads to which the upkeep will be craving for a reason good enough to cut it short... so please, give us one.</small>

San Holo

Finn said:
Now this one's going to get some opinions that may differ slightly from this statement. But I'm not getting into it.

<small>Actually, this seems like one of the threads to which the upkeep will be craving for a reason good enough to cut it short... so please, give us one.</small>
By all means, "get into it". I'm really curious to see how folks at the Raven would deal with the situation.

qwerty

Ok I will explain what I wanted to say.
In my country in the 1990's there was bunch of bloody wars. They all had something in common. They were all started by people's stupidity. People had for the first time in long period a choise over their destiny so they started thinking like this. "We have bunch of piled up problems. Let's resolve them using brief military actions". That's all it took to start one of the most horofing periods on the Balkan soil. (look it up, that was hard to beat but we menaged to do it)
Now every time anyone starts talking about military actions I tell him: Imagine yourself as the other side. Maybe it is hard to believe but this time YOU are the bad guy.

Jay R. Zay

qwerty said:
Maybe it is hard to believe but this time YOU are the bad guy.

the world isn't so easy to be divided into good and bad. iran knows what they are doing. they don't need a nuclear program just for energy reasons and if they would, they could allow for weapon inspectors to have a look. the way iran behaves, we all have good reasons to assume that they are working on nuclear weapons. and i don't know how YOU feel about it, but i do NOT feel so well about an instable, anti-western, undemocratic and rather "small" country having nuclear weapons. that's something different with france, the USA and even russia. these countries are basically aware of the responsibility they have by owning these weapons. if iran has them, it's not so funny. it's a risk and iran provokes this war - unlike iraq, where evidence rather clearly said that they probably do NOT have WOMD.

i don't think you are fully aware of what you are talking about, judging from the way how you talk about it.

qwerty

Jay R. Zay said:
i don't think you are fully aware of what you are talking about, judging from the way how you talk about it.

That is probably true.

But think about this. Where I come from we have a saying that goes like this: Money is spining, where drill bit wann't.
(this might be a not so good translation but it does show the escence of the problem)

Indy Parise

qwerty said:
That is probably true.

But think about this. Where I come from we have a saying that goes like this: Money is spining, where drill bit wann't.
(this might be a not so good translation but it does show the escence of the problem)

We have a saying in Sicily too. I saw nothing I heard nothing I wasn't there and if I was there I was asleep.

We also have a saying in Ireland. Don't cross a man, or he will take it on your life. Put these two together and.....;)

San Holo

Iran knows the US is tied up in Iraq, so they are talking big and making all of these threats. The UN is gonna have to try and resolve the situation, but I don't have too much faith in them after the Oil for Food scandal. China and Russia have multi billion dollar oil contracts with Iran, so I doubt they will vote to take any action for fears of a raise in oil prices.

monkey

If Iran develops nuclear weapon capability, it is a no brainer that they will give it to terrorists. This should not be allowed to happen. It could be catastrophic for both Europe, and America.

80% of Iran's economy is dependent on exportation of oil.

Iran must be convinced to stop the development of nuclear weapons capability.

two words..........NAVAL BLOCKADE.

No bombing, no killing, no bloodshed.........but they will be quickly convinced to comply with the wishes of the world.

San Holo

monkey said:
If Iran develops nuclear weapon capability, it is a no brainer that they will give it to terrorists. This should not be allowed to happen. It could be catastrophic for both Europe, and America.

80% of Iran's economy is dependent on exportation of oil.

Iran must be convinced to stop the development of nuclear weapons capability.

two words..........NAVAL BLOCKADE.

No bombing, no killing, no bloodshed.........but they will be quickly convinced to comply with the wishes of the world.
80% of their economy is dependant on oil exports and they produce a huge amount of the world's oil supply.If a blocade or sanctions of any kind were imposed,Iran would retaliate by cutting that supply. That would drive crude oil prices to record highs(as if they aren't high enough now). Countries like China and Russia, are not going to let politics get in the way of cheap oil and already have contracts with Iran. Iran's oil will always have a buyer- so I'm not sure that they will respond to a blocade.

monkey

San Holo said:
80% of their economy is dependant on oil exports and they produce a huge amount of the world's oil supply.If a blocade or sanctions of any kind were imposed,Iran would retaliate by cutting that supply. That would drive crude oil prices to record highs(as if they aren't high enough now). Countries like China and Russia, are not going to let politics get in the way of cheap oil and already have contracts with Iran. Iran's oil will always have a buyer- so I'm not sure that they will respond to a blocade.

It wouldn't be a matter of Iran cutting their supply to the world, indeed the whole point of the naval blockade would be to prevent Iran from exporting their oil. If they can't sell their oil, their economy would collapse. Hopefully this would initiate a revolution in the country that is waiting to happen anyway.

Iran is a nation populated by a very well educated and progressive minded people..........who unfortunately are enslaved by an Islamic extremist fascist government. I think a naval blockade would help to topple that government from within. Hopefully bloodlessly.

You do make a good point Han. Iran's oil being cut off from most of the world would indeed cause a rather large ripple effect in the world's economy. But it would be the price we would have to pay.

I think that there's been enough negotiating, talking, etc. etc. It's time for bold action. If those fanatics develop a bomb, I believe strongly that they WILL give it to terrorists. And I KNOW that the terrorists WILL try to use it.

Bold action is required. But let's try to have no bloodshed.

Finn

Staff member
Heh, the funny thing is that Iran's practically now posing a greater threat than Saddam ever was. And with the catastrophical ongoings in Iraq (okay, I'm not saying if it was necessary or not, but the execution sure as hell was lousy) and not to mention that with the opposition for any kind of action by two other great nations, Russia and China (they get cheap oil, and well, THEY don't have to be afraid of the bomb, at least that much), the hands of the US Adminstration are pretty much tied.

Should they choose to break free from those bonds, this time they must know that they may be facing a bigger FUBAR than Iraq ever was. Should a naval blockade take place, it is possible that it'd uprise a Coup de Grace as monkey suggested, but more cynical person would probably think that in the best (worst) case it'd just raise even more anger towards the "Great Satan".

I'm not saying any kind of action (and preferably bloodless, please) wouldn't be possible, but it's certainly more difficult mostly thanks to their own past mistakes. I'd laugh at the irony of this situation if it wasn't so damn scary.