Smitty's Junk

Montana Smith

Allied Military Currency issued in Germany, 1944:

IMG_0005 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

IMG by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

Allied Military Currency issued in Italy, 1943:

IMG_0001 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

IMG_0002 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

Among other wartime and pre-war notes from France, Germany, Italy and Algeria were the following oddities.

A dividend for a 32nd share to the value of 100 Reichsmark in the Bremer Papier- und Wellpappen-Fabrik Aktiengesellschaft (Bremer Paper & Corrugated Board Factory Joint-Stock Company), dated October 1930:

IMG_0006 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

IMG_0007 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

A 1921 ticket for something in the Rhön valley:

IMG_0004 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

IMG_0003 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

Montana Smith

At present, eleven different propaganda leaflets are known that depict this note. Two are in the form of the 5-franc banknote and open to show anti-Allied propaganda. The other nine are leaflets that show the AMG currency either in color or black and white.

http://www.psywarrior.com/WWIIGermanBanknotes.html

I've been searching for more information about the German propaganda version of the 5 Franc AMC. The only one I could find that had been for sale was the other version, which contains a different message inside. It was sold by London Coins Ltd, and described as very fine and scarce. Condition doesn't look far off from mine, and yet it realized £150!

It's not something I would ever sell, as this is a little piece of history. First hand evidence of the crazy lies a régime will spin in order to hold onto power.

I suspect they're scarce since many would have been summarily destroyed by those opposing Hitler and the Vichy government.

Montana Smith

This is a German Wehrmacht weapon cleaning kit, designated Reinigungsgerät 34 (RG34), the official cleaning kit which was officially introduced 4th September 1934 for use with all types of weapons: pistols, rifles, machine pistols and machineguns from 7.9mm to 9mm calibre.

It consists of a light steel can with hinged lids top and bottom a chain pull-through, two bore brushes, and a hypodermic oiler.

On mine there is no Hülsenkopftwischer or "receiver head cleaner", commonly known as a takedown tool. However, this was the only piece of the RG34 kit that was designed to be used only on the Karabiner 98 rifle.

Each German soldier carrying a weapon should have a Rg 34 within his equipment and it was used by all branches of the Wehrmacht on all fronts. It appears that the Rg 34 carried out his function perfectly and there was no intention to switch to other model or type of cleaning kit, and except for the simplification of some of its components with the aim of reduce costs and increase production, remained unchanged until war's end.

rg34tafel+2.jpg

http://rg34.blogspot.co.uk/p/rg-34-info.html

The tin and oiler are marked "KY 1940":

Although there is no conclusive information about the identification of the manufacturer, all evidences suggest that the "Ky" kits correspond to the company Aktien-Maschinenfabrik Kyffhäuserhütte (vorm. Paul Reuß), located in Artern. This firm, founded in 1881, was primarily engaged in the manufacture of machinery, especially for the agricultural sector. It produced different kinds of machines and equipment and in 1938 had over 1000 employees. During the war it is know that also manufactured ammo cartridge cases and "Flak" mounts. In 1940 it was assigned the code "ayw" by the Heereswaffenamt.

The pull-through chain, however, is marked "G. Appel 1937" with the German eagle and Waffenamt mark WaA452. (Waffenamt was the German Army's research and development office for weapons, ammunition and army equipment).

The marks are tiny and very hard for me to photograph:

The company Gustav Appel Maschinenfabrik was located in Berlin-Spandau, and during the war - apart from Reinigungsgeräte - manufactured tools, grenade launchers, mg belt cartridge loaders and other metal hardware. All evidences indicate that most likely this firm was the designer of the Rg 34 and produced it from 1934 to the end of the war in 1945. Also was the only firm that manufactured (and marked) commercially the Rg 34 while at the same time produced it for the Wehrmacht.

Montana Smith

I now have the third of ACI's sixth scale Roman Gladiator series: Priscus: Undefeatable Gaul of Capua.

The sculpt is obviously based on Manu Bennett as Crixus in the Spartacus TV series, though I don't think it's that good. He'll be keeping his helmet on anyway.

The highlight is the real scale chainmail armour. According to Bryan Lo of ACI there are 2200 rings in the sleeve.

Inspired as they are by the likes of Spartacus, they aren't historically accurate out of the box. For example, Priscus comes with a pair of axes (securis), a barbarian weapon which the Romans used for cutting wood, and isn't known to have been used by any type of gladiator.

You have to mix and match equipment, as I've already done, to make historical types. I even made them little nameplates so I'd remember them myself!

Priscus the Thraex:

000_0569

000_0572

A Thraex was armed in the Thracian style:

Helmet with Griffin crest
Small round or square shield (parmula)
Padded leg wrappings & thigh length greaves on both legs (cnemidis or ocreae)
Armour on the sword arm in leather, metal plates or chain (manica)
Curved Thracian sword (sica)

They commonly fought Murmillones or Hoplomachi.

Spartacus the Provocator:

000_0571

A Provocator or "challenger":

Helmet without crest or brim and small eyeholes
Large oblong shield (scutum)
An ocrae on one leg
A manica on the sword arm
Breastplate (cardiophylax)
Short sword (gladius)

They were paired only against other provocatores.

Flamma the Dimachaerus:

000_0570

The only distinguishing factor of Dimachaeri was that they fought with a pair of swords, mostly recorded as siccae (curved Thracian swords). So I could leave him with his pair of short ocraea.

The figure looked as though he was originally based on the painting by Jean-Leon Gerome entitled "Pollice Verso" (1872) which was meant to depict a Murmillo, but incorrectly gave him a second leg greave. The Spartacus series also committed that mistake, by giving their gladiators pairs regardless of their fighting style.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/99127700@N05/9422408476/]

000_0568 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

Montana Smith

A pair of US 37mm M16 anti-tank shells from 1942 and 1943 (the cases and primers have matching years).

They were made for the towed M3 anti-tank gun as well as the M5 and M6 guns mounted in the M3/M5 Stuart light tank and M8 Greyhound armoured car.

The 37 mm Gun M3 was the first dedicated anti-tank gun fielded by United States forces. Introduced in 1940, it became the standard anti-tank gun of the U.S. infantry with its size enabling it to be pulled by a jeep. However, the continuing improvement of German tanks quickly rendered the 37 mm ineffective, and by 1943 it was being gradually replaced in the European and Mediterranean theaters by the more powerful British-developed 57 mm Gun M1. In the Pacific, where the Japanese tank threat was less significant, the M3 remained in service until the end of the war.
Like many other light anti-tank guns, the M3 was widely used in the infantry support role and as an anti-personnel weapon, firing high-explosive and canister rounds.

The M5 and M6 tank mounted variants were used in several models of armored vehicles most notably in the Light Tank M3/M5, the Medium Tank M3 and the Light Armored Car M8. In addition, the M3 in its original version was mated to a number of other self-propelled carriages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_mm_Gun_M3

While looking up information on these I was surprised to read the following on a forum:

The shell casings alone for the 37mm are in the $60 and up category since people are trying to buy them to shoot the 37mm gun...

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=201343

Montana Smith

I've had this miniature pottery German helmet for years, but only found it again yesterday tucked away in a box.

Searched the net for information about it, but could only find one reference, which was somebody asking the same question a year ago:

Hello all. I have in my collection a small pottery/china WW2 German helmet. It measures about 1 1/4 inch high, 2 inch long. The base colour is white with blue flecks, with a random brown camo pattern and plum coloured swastika which is raised. The whole item is glazed. I can only find reference to one other on the internet, but this has a different colour design. Does anybody know the origins of these minatures and why they were made? Any help will be greatly received.

365449d1341156404t-small-pottery-ww2-german-helmet-help-needed-pott-helmet-016.jpg

I didn't find the other reference mentioned. Since there have been no answers forthcoming in over a year since the question was posed I assume the helmet isn't a fake. It looks old in any case. Wonder if it's a pottery version of the Nazi 'tinnies' (cheap badges sold to raise party funds).

The next item I bought because it intrigued me. Had no idea what it was, and thought it was worth a punt for a couple of quid:

Turns out it's a medal in silver which would have been awarded to a collector of Octroi for long and faithful service.

Octroi were local customs taxes in France. The medal was created 24th December 1904, and replaced 7th June 1945 by the Médaille d’Honneur Départementale et Communale, but by then the archaic and restrictive system of tolls and local taxes had effectively disappeared.

The obverse depicts an inspection of carts. On the far right the figure with the stick is testing if the hay in the cart is hiding anything undeclared.

The reverse refers to the Ministry of Internal affairs.

Saw mention that the bronze version was given for 25 years service, but don't know how many years for the silver.

From an early time the octroi was farmed out to associations or private individuals, and so great were the abuses which arose from the system that the octroi was abolished during the French Revolution. But such a drastic measure meant the stoppage of all municipal activities, and in 1798 Paris was allowed to re-establish its octroi. Other cities were allowed gradually to follow suit, and in 1809 a law was passed laying down the basis on which octrois might be established. Other laws were passed from time to time in France dealing with the octroi, especially those of 1816, 1842, 1867, 1871, 1884 and 1897. By the law of 1809 octroi duties were allowed on beverages and liquids, eatables, fuel, forage and building materials. A scale of rates was fixed, graduated according to the population, and farming out was strictly regulated. A law of 1816 enacted that an octroi could only be established at the wish of a municipal council, and that only articles destined for local consumption could be taxed. The law of 1852 abolished the 10% of the gross receipts paid to the treasury. Certain indispensable commodities were allowed to enter free, such as grain, flour, fruit, vegetables and fish.

French octroi duties were collected by:

1. The regie simple, i.e. by special officers under the direction of the mayor — by the first decade in the 20th century more than half the octrois were collected this way, and the numbers tended to increase

2. The bail à ferme, i.e. farming, the contractor paying yearly a certain agreed upon sum calculated on the estimated amount — this method steadily decreased

3. The regie interesse, a variation of the preceding method, the contractor sharing the profits with the municipality when they reached a given sum — this method had been practically abandoned by the first decade in the 20th century

4. The abonnement avec la regie des contributions indirectes, under which a department of the treasury undertook to collect the duties — this method was tending to increase by the first decade in the 20th century

A law of 1897 created new sources of taxation, giving communes the option of:
1. New duties on alcohol;
2. A municipal license duty on retailers of beverages;
3. A special tax on wine in bottle;
4. Direct taxes on horses and carriages, clubs, billiard tables and dogs;
5. additional centimes to direct taxes.

Octrois were finally abolished in 1948.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octroi

There are pictures of the complete medal here.

Oddly enough this appears to be a sought after object. Even in this condition, without ribbon or 'barrette' I've seen it being offered for 60 Euros (c. £50).

Montana Smith

For some reason two more of those pottery German helmets showed up on a Google search today - one from a few days ago and another from over a year ago.

So that makes four, all in varying camouflage colours.

The latest ones proposed that they may be sweetheart items, objects given by soldiers to wives or girlfriends as keepsakes during their absence.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Monty, you can't be married whilst having all that junk around!
And, if you are - how do you get by with it?

Haha!

Marriage would put shackles on the junk collection. I'm steering clear of that!

Finn

Staff member
I heard that guys who have plenty o'junk are real popular with girls.

<small>The question that really interests me though is that how you can afford all this.
What are you cutting down on? Do you eat nothing but dirt and wash it down with tap water?</small>

Montana Smith

Finn said:
<small>The question that really interests me though is that how you can afford all this.
What are you cutting down on? Do you eat nothing but dirt and wash it down with tap water?</small>

A lot of the things are objects I didn't go specifically looking for, but turned up cheap at boot sales and fairs for a few pounds or a few pence. Things that just weren't valued, like the German Torpedo boat and U-Boat badges which were genuine yet cheaper than the replicas themselves.

Unwanted junk not intended for the collection gets sold to help pay the bills.

As for cutting down, that would be no smoking, no drinking, no holidays, and no marriage!

Montana Smith

The broken Kriegsmarine eagle that came with my U-Boat badge I presumed to be a cap badge.

However, since picking up another broken eagle it's apparent that it's a breast badge worn on the white summer tunic. The long pin obviously missing from the first one since it went away with the wing.

The latest one is of poorer quality, probably wartime tombak - an alloy of copper and zinc (and sometimes arsenic) used to imitate gold in cheap jewellery and for gilding. This eagle is clearly gilt base metal.

The badges were made with pin, hook and retaining clip for ease of removal for cleaning the tunic.

Broken Kriegsmarine breast eagles by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

100_1314 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

WilliamBoyd8

I have had this old German postcard since the 1960's.

It was mailed from Germany to Berkeley, California on July 2, 1938.

post_germany_card_breslau_1938_a.jpg

post_germany_card_breslau_1938_b.jpg

The Berkeley house where it was sent to is still standing.

The church in the postcard was destroyed in 1945.

:)

Montana Smith

WilliamBoyd8 said:
I have had this old German postcard since the 1960's.

It was mailed from Germany to Berkeley, California on July 2, 1938.

The Berkeley house where it was sent to is still standing.

The church in the postcard was destroyed in 1945.

:)

That's a nice piece of history. No indication in the writing of the problems at the time: "everyone has been kind and entertaining."

:hat:

Montana Smith

A few weeks ago somebody I know said they had an air gun I might be interested in.

Got to see it today, and was surprised to turn it over in my hand and read "Anics. Russia. Moscow." on the side.

I've never heard of the company. But then I'm generally not really into air pistols.

Joint-Stock Company "Aniсs Group" makes pneumatic CO2 powered airguns since 1995. Now the spectrum of our products amounts six base models of pistols, and also their various modifications.

The pistols made by us, are fabricated both by our Development and Design department, and under the license agreement with company "Beretta" (Italy). Many technical solutions are patented in Russia and abroad.

The pistols created by us considerably surpass the similar weapon by their unique characteristics. For example, at small dimensions muzzle velocity of our pistols much more exceeds the velocity of other CO2 pistols and reaches 160 m/s.

Manufacture at own factory provides the reliable quality control of fabricated products.

It looked fine, obviously styled after a Walther, and felt good and heavy, so for the price I couldn't turn it down.

It's a Skif A-3000 CO2 28 shot repeating pistol that can be fired in either single or double action as a semi-automatic.

The "revolutionary" design of SKIF A-3000 CO2 pistol for the first time in the history of the pneumatic weapon uses a conveyor principle of magazine operation in which every pellet caliber 4.5 mm (.177) is loaded in a separate roller. The 28-shots magazine allows to use steel copper covered balls caliber of 4.5 mm and all kinds of lead pellets with length not more than 7.6 mm, loading in any sequence. The movable barrel minimizes gas leak at a shot due to absence of gaps while barrel hits the valve.

A-3000 Series is remarkable for its technological innovations lever system of CO2 bulb punch, movable slide, slide catch, comfortable safety lever, adjustable rear sight, single action hammer position is possible. Removable slide makes the maintenance easier.

Technical parameters:

Caliber 4.5mm/.177
Overall dimensions 185 x 144 x 31,5/36,8 mm
Weight of loaded / unloaded pistol 785/720 g
Barrel length 116.5 mm
Magazine capacity 28 shots
Shots from one CO2 bulb - 75
Quantity of barrel grooves - 6
Grooves length - 400mm
Grouping at 10 m - 1 inch (2.4cm)
Trigger mechanism - double action
Double action trigger pushing force 4.2 kg
Single action trigger pushing force 1.4 kg

Muzzle velocity, dependent on the type of pellets loaded, is recorded on the box as between 120-160 meters per second (394-525 feet per second).

Anics Skif A-3000 28 shot repeater by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

There's a Walther-stlye ambidextrous magazine release lever on the trigger guard:

100_1322 by Titus Pullover, on Flickr

Exulted Unicron

You familiar with Denix at all Smitty? I recently got myself the Denix Webley IV at a military show. Nice revolver. Came with removable orange tape on the barrel, grip and cylinder and 12 rounds of dummy .455 ammo. I paid £75 for that little bundle. I will be posting pictures of it

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
You familiar with Denix at all Smitty? I recently got myself the Denix Webley IV at a military show. Nice revolver. Came with removable orange tape on the barrel, grip and cylinder and 12 rounds of dummy .455 ammo. I paid £75 for that little bundle. I will be posting pictures of it

Yes, I have several Denix guns. The first replica I ever had was a Denix Colt SA Army.

I haven't yet seen their Webley Mk. IV up close, so it would be good to see those pictures!

It's also one of those guns you can no longer buy online due to the VCRA.

My deactivated Mk. IV sits in the upper middle of the display:

:hat:

Exulted Unicron

I would love to take the yellow tape off and show it off, but the guy I bought it off said it was highly illegal for me to do so, even at home. Luckily though, I'm in the process of getting VCRA exemption status so I can. Pictures coming in a little bit.