TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #26
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Idk, I think Harrison Ford has always been a big part of what's made Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones. But that's just silly old me. It's not like the guy starred in thus far all of the Indy films and so is the only relevant actor to play the role or anything. Not at all. Recasting that hack should be easier than anything. This is a new, digital age. We need a black, gay, transgender Indiana Jones.

That strawman got burnt.

Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:37 AM   #27
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Complete nonsense.

Disney are in this for the long term and plan to make plenty of $$$ out of their purchase.
They definitely won't care about the tiny, shrinking pool of old time fans who only want to see Ford in the main role.

After Ford bows out in the next movie, Disney will focus primarily on their target audience, most of whom barely know who the old geezer is.

Even here at the Raven, at least half of all active posters support a recast, including most of the mods.
Ultimately it's about caring for the character, and not the actor.

I agree.

And have you noticed how in most cases TFA haters = KOTCS lovers?

That's because when I watched KOTCS I didn't feel like I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and it wasn't filled with plot holes and contrived coincidences.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #28
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
That strawman got burnt.

Why do you hate Harrison Ford? Is SPF your favorite Indy? It's just odd that moderators of an "Indiana Jones fansite" (which really has become a Harrison Ford hate site) hate and despise the only man who has starred as Indiana Jones on the big screen. Very, very odd. But...Nolanists are strange beasts. Not human, I make that clear. Beasts.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #29
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Why do you hate Harrison Ford? Is SPF your favorite Indy? It's just odd that moderators of an "Indiana Jones fansite" (which really has become a Harrison Ford hate site) hate and despise the only man who has starred as Indiana Jones on the big screen. Very, very odd. But...Nolanists are strange beasts. Not human, I make that clear. Beasts.

Sorry, let me make my point clear: you're battling a straw man. That is, you're arguing against a position that nobody here holds.

Whatever the very real merits of increased representation and inclusion for black, gay, and transgender characters in mainstream film, I haven't noticed a wellspring of support for Indiana Jones being one such character.

I, for one, am interested to see Spielberg, Ford, and, to a lesser extent, Lucas are going to produce this time. My fellow moderators are too. I think Ford is a very capable actor in the right part; it sounds like an odd thing to praise, but the exposition scene in Raiders is probably the best of its kind, and that's down to the director, the screenwriter, and the four actors in the scene, Ford foremost among them.

Supporting an eventual recast, or even an immediate one, has no necessary connection to finding fault with Ford's work in the part. As you go to such great pains to point out, feeling that way about Ford's performance as Indy and yet persisting in visiting this corner of the internet would be an absurdity.

Oh, and Chris Nolan? I like his take on superhero material, but feel he generally produces overly portentous, airless films that employ great actors as mannequins with speaker-boxes putting forth ideological slogans, presented in opposition to one another. He's not a major figure.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 06-24-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #30
Raiders112390
IndyFan

You have to understand; I don't trust anyone who doesn't share my views. I distrust all who don't agree with me. Everyone has their own agendas. And with that, I take my leave of here. I still have my original films, and most people are fans of Harrison Ford. I take comfort in that. And in the fact that I will be vindicated when we get a great film in 2019.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #31
Pale Horse

I'll just leave this here.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #32
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
You have to understand; I don't trust anyone who doesn't share my views. I distrust all who don't agree with me. Everyone has their own agendas.
A great springboard for joining a discussion forum.

Quote:
And with that, I take my leave of here.
If only...
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #33
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Jones
The new adventures will be set in and around the existing films/TV films and (hopefully) novels. I'd hate to see any of the Bantam novels be thoroughly invalidated.

Fat chance they work anything around the novels. They completely wiped away 25 years of Star Wars novels before The Force Awakens and many of those plots/characters were as meaningful to fans as the Original Trilogy ones. I guarantee it will be the same for Indy: the four films and the TV series are canon - everything else is just a "legend".
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #34
Indy Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Fat chance they work anything around the novels. They completely wiped away 25 years of Star Wars novels before The Force Awakens and many of those plots/characters were as meaningful to fans as the Original Trilogy ones. I guarantee it will be the same for Indy: the four films and the TV series are canon - everything else is just a "legend".

It hasn't been officiated for Indiana Jones though. I believe they'd probably do it, but since the Indy "EU" is barely expansive (Hell, compared to SW it's nonexistent), they won't make a sweeping statement about it--it'll be a case of "the books and games fit into continuity until a new film contradicts one of them."

SW's EU was huge enough they had to deal with it. Maybe we'll be lucky, and with IJ they'll decide that it's so small that they'll work with it. Maybe. Or the new films could be based on the Bantam novels? That'd be pretty damn cool.
Indy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #35
Finn

Quote:
It hasn't been officiated for Indiana Jones though. I believe they'd probably do it, but since the Indy "EU" is barely expansive (Hell, compared to SW it's nonexistent), they won't make a sweeping statement about it--it'll be a case of "the books and games fit into continuity until a new film contradicts one of them."
Pretty much this. This whole question about what happens to Indy's EU if new films are made with a younger actor is no question at all - because there is NOT any consistent Indy EU. Every author working on a novel, comic or video game has pretty much used the following guideline: Don't contradict anything that's been stated in the movies. That's it. (Yet some have managed even that.) Naturally most authors will also try to establish their own works in a consistent continuity. But there is no person like Leland Chee who keeps the extended Indy material in check in the manner he does (did?) with Star Wars.

Last edited by Finn : 06-26-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #36
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:

SW's EU was huge enough they had to deal with it. Maybe we'll be lucky, and with IJ they'll decide that it's so small that they'll work with it. Maybe. Or the new films could be based on the Bantam novels? That'd be pretty damn cool.

Some of the novels actually would make darn good movies. (Probably a thread about that somewhere). I would just be really surprised if they acknowledged the existence of them at all. Definitely true though that they won't need to do any major announcements like they had to with Star Wars being that the "Indy EU" is rather small. Though if they don't wind up being canon, it really does not bother me (it didn't for Star Wars either). Those stories still exist. We don't need to get rid of our old books because they are not canon. We can still go back and enjoy those stories. There were some really good ideas in a lot of the novels that I would not mind to see harvested and used in a future Indy film.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #37
Attila the Professor

Wonder if a reboot will end up finally putting the Secret of the Sphinx/Emperor's Tomb conflict over Qin Shi Huang's tomb out of its misery. Those two certainly put the lie to any notion of even high-level EU being internally consistent with itself.

At least KotCS in theory preserve the possibility for McCoy's crystal skull thread to remain canon, to my recollection.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #38
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
You have to understand; I don't trust anyone who doesn't share my views. I distrust all who don't agree with me. Everyone has their own agendas. And with that, I take my leave of here. I still have my original films, and most people are fans of Harrison Ford. I take comfort in that. And in the fact that I will be vindicated when we get a great film in 2019.

Wow. Quite extreme.

Last edited by Drones33 : 07-07-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:45 AM   #39
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Post Indy V: Keep original continuity, or reboot?

So a question -

After Indy V is said and done, it is likely Disney will want to milk the franchise for all its worth, which will mean a new actor. I am curious:

In your opinion, should a new Indy franchise (with a younger actor) keep the same continuity with the original films/tv series, or should it be a reboot, wiping the slate clean?

I ask because I love the original films, the novels, the games and the YIJC - as of now all of those are canon - And I wouldn't want to see a post=Harrison entry be in the same continuity yet decanonize at least the filmed stuff.

And if it is a reboot, how far should it go? Should it totally wipe the slate clean, keeping only the name, clothes, and theme; or a softer reboot ala Star Trek?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #40
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
So a question -

After Indy V is said and done, it is likely Disney will want to milk the franchise for all its worth, which will mean a new actor. I am curious:

In your opinion, should a new Indy franchise (with a younger actor) keep the same continuity with the original films/tv series, or should it be a reboot, wiping the slate clean?

I ask because I love the original films, the novels, the games and the YIJC - as of now all of those are canon - And I wouldn't want to see a post=Harrison entry be in the same continuity yet decanonize at least the filmed stuff.

And if it is a reboot, how far should it go? Should it totally wipe the slate clean, keeping only the name, clothes, and theme; or a softer reboot ala Star Trek?

Once Ford leaves the role, I honestly won't give a damn what happens next.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #41
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

If it was up to me the reboot notion would be abandoned and instead they'd follow up Indy 5 with an animated series to tell more adventures in the 30s and 40s. Ford doing the voicework would be ideal, but if he can't be bothered, sound-alikes have worked just fine for the video games.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #42
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
So a question -

This is the million dollar question.

I believe they can work within the current canon if they wanted to. I don't think thats a difficult task to achieve. They don't have to decanonize the films, I'm sure they can fit new adventures in and around the films time frame if they wanted to.

Personally I think the biggest difficulty they will face is casting a new Indiana Jones that captures the audience so they can make more Indy films. I believe the casting of the new Han Solo is a toe in the water for Disney in that regard, make the right choice that the audience buy into and they can make more film featuring the new Han Solo in the years to come. The same goes for Indy.

But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Disney made a new Indy in the same era as Raiders was set, play it safe to a certain degree like they did with the TFA to get the new Indy films up and running. But I think theres another dilema for them in that do they retread old ground or take it in a fresher direction for a new audience (like they did with Daniel Craigs Bond films as an example)?

Last edited by AndyLGR : 11-23-2016 at 07:00 AM.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #43
Indyfan82
IndyFan

I'm honestly just looking forward to one more Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford and I don't really care too much what happens with the franchise beyond that.... I'd honestly rather not see any further related movies made and such- but I'm sure it's going to happen anyway. I'll be open to seeing what happens with it- maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised- but I'm not counting on it, unfortunately.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #44
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs
Once Ford leaves the role, I honestly won't give a damn what happens next.

Me for the most part. The ideal way to do this is presumable why they removed the old Indy bookends from the young Indy tv series (so Harrison can play that role).

Indy 5 should be 90% Harrison Ford with a decently long flashback sequence like Last Crusade that introduces us to a new actor playing a younger Indy that also establishes both actors exist in the same canon.

Future Indy movies would be wise to continue to bring Harrison Ford in until his dying day to bookend the films. This is what I would like to see.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #45
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Future Indy movies would be wise to continue to bring Harrison Ford in until his dying day to bookend the films. This is what I would like to see.
Look on the bright side: if they shoot a few hours worth of footage now, they could carry on using it for bookends long after Harry eventually passes away.

[/Sarcasm]
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #46
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
As I've said many times on here, I'm open to reboot and look forward to it in some regards. Personally I'd like to see Indy in the mid to late 20s and eventually lead into the 30s. Mainly so it won't retread too much of what has been seen in films and to me, it would be an origins-esque kind of introduction to the new actor.

As for the EU, I expect they'll disregard it and I'm fine with that. I had to accept with SW and I loved the old EU too.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #47
curmudgeon
IndyFan

I'm an advocate of prequels and successor-based spin-offs (a la Creed), so long as they maintain a continuity with the existing films.

I wouldn't object or protest a true reboot (that is, a secondary film continuity) but I don't think I'd be interested in watching it.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #48
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
As I've said many times on here, I'm open to reboot and look forward to it in some regards. Personally I'd like to see Indy in the mid to late 20s and eventually lead into the 30s. Mainly so it won't retread too much of what has been seen in films and to me, it would be an origins-esque kind of introduction to the new actor.

As for the EU, I expect they'll disregard it and I'm fine with that. I had to accept with SW and I loved the old EU too.

I do hope they keep the YIJC. I don't see many new Indy films being set prior to 1920 unless we get another flashback to a teenage Indy. But even then, such a sequence doesn't have to contradict the YIJC. It could easily be set between 1913-1915.

There's a lot of gaps in Indy's history that the YIJC and films do not cover, which could allow for any new series keeping both the old films and YIJC in continuity:

1913-1915
1921-1934
1939-1949;
1951-1956

There's tons of ground to cover, really, without saying "Nope, these films and that series are no longer canon, sorry."
Old 11-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #49
Indyfan82
IndyFan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet

I do hope they keep the YIJC. I don't see many new Indy films being set prior to 1920 unless we get another flashback to a teenage Indy. But even then, such a sequence doesn't have to contradict the YIJC. It could easily be set between 1913-1915.

There's a lot of gaps in Indy's history that the YIJC and films do not cover, which could allow for any new series keeping both the old films and YIJC in continuity:

1913-1915
1921-1934
1939-1949;
1951-1956

There's tons of ground to cover, really, without saying "Nope, these films and that series are no longer canon, sorry."

That's only allowing for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and previous Indy movies to be canon then, as some of those years are indeed covered in the extended universe books and rpgs and comics and video games, etc.
I'd prefer all of them to be kept intact if possible, but as Violet said, they'll probably ignore the EU for Indiana Jones and if anything, perhaps keep YIJC and the movies....
It seems like they could find a way to work them all in though... Why not film some of the better Indy novels if they want to make prequel movies?
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote