Star Wars: The Clone Wars

And here's what EW has to say about the latest Lucas catastrophe:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20219195,00.html?cnn=yes

George Lucas is turning into the enemy of fun. This all-animated chapter Star Wars: The Clone Wars sounds like a perversely logical evolution of the series, which has been built around increasingly thick gobs of digital eye candy. But you never knew how much you'd miss all that lousy, wooden human acting. The animated Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc. (all with faux movie-star voices) are drones, and the repetitive combat sequences only add to the turgid videogame anonymity of it all. Lucas' fantasy empire has morphed into a machine that plays itself. F

Two franchises ruined in one summer. "We will then crush the fanboys with one swift stroke."

sandiegojones

The Man said:
Well, for what it's worth: may The Force be with you - and hope the kid has a good time...
Thanks. I've had to watch stuff like Wubzy, Handy Manny and The Wiggles so this can't be that bad! I think the fact that's it's "in theaters" is why this is being attacked so bad. It's a clear money grab by GL and not better than an average kids cartoon.

The Clone Wars should have ended with the Gendy Tartovsky show. If GL's gonna keep going to the PT timeline then I'd like to see a pre-Phantom Menace Darth Maul story or a Jango Fett story like the "Bounty Hunter" game.

Oh well. I'm still holding out hope for the live action show, The Force Unleashed game and a rumored Knights of the Old Republic III game for PS3.

sandiegojones

The Man said:
To be honest, I've long felt that the fate of Star Wars - for better or worse - was decided years ago. But f*cking up Indy IV is unforgivable. Unforgivable...
I like KOTCS and the PT for the most part, but I think GL needs to find another vehicle for some of his story ideas. He keeps making more SW and IJ movies so he can tell stories that aren't really fitting the established world. It's clear based on interviews that he wants to make Indy go even more towards Sci-Fi and is thinking only about little tikes with SW to sell stuff.

If they do make a 5th Indy and SS and GL have better McGuffin and more drama then they can redeem themselves (although a 60+ year old Indy will never be as good as Indy in Raiders). A dark and serious live action SW show could do the same, I hope!

GL is likely killing SW though. It's becoming more lame than Star Trek. Fanboys used to love SW because it was Sci-Fi you could be proud to like, unlike Trek. It also was not a TV show like Trek was. That's all changing! SW used to have humor, mythic characters and real danger. Now it's becoming an uncontrollable beast filled with trivial plotlines, too many character interconnections (like 3PO being built by Anakin and now Jabba showing up in everything-with kids no less), too much jedi council mumbo jumbo that used to be mysterious, but is now just like crappy Wachowski Bros Matrix prophecies. It's just all too convoluted now. What happended to something simple like Rebels vs. Empire? No politics or soap opera.

I hope this is the low point for each saga. We'll shall see!

Last edited:

The Man

http://www.mercurynews.com/lifestyle/ci_10215007

Still, a "Star Wars'' movie should be an event ? and whether because of its cartoony format or its relatively lightweight story, "Clone Wars'' definitely is not an event.

Maybe it's for the best that this movie landed under the Warner Bros. banner. "Clone Wars'' simply could not have lived up to that breathless pause of anticipation that always rises in the silence between the Fox fanfare and the first blaring note of the "Star Wars'' theme, which also has been modified to let audiences know at the outset that this is a galaxy a bit farther out than they're used to.

The Man

The saga returns. Again...

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/07/george-lucas-co.html#previouspost

The Force is about to be unleashed in three dimensions.

George Lucas' camp recently confirmed his plan to recast all six episodes of Star Wars -- the original trilogy and the prequels -- in an all-new, eye-popping 3-D light.

"He isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate," DreamWorks Animations CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg told ComingSoon.net.

The Man

sandiegojones said:
That's out of context. GL is turning the PT and OT into 3D using a new 3D process. No recasting. It's the same films , just in 3D.

Oh, I know they're the same..

sandiegojones

The Man said:
Oh, I know they're the same..
Oh, well it said recast, so I thought they actually thought he'd be remaking them.

As far as Clone Wars is concerned, I saw SPACE CHIMPS recently and I highly doubt this could possibly be so bad. Space Chimps is really bad.

sandiegojones

DiscoLad said:
(Cough,Cough Cou-NERDS-gh,*Sniff*)...Sorry, I have allergies...
Ahhhhh...chooooooookkkkkeeeeonmyballs! Sorry, wow. I had to sneeze.

Anyone on this site is a nerd dude. You especially!

CasualJeff

So, sandiego have you seen it yet? You and I seem to see pretty eye to eye when it comes to Star Wars/Indy movies.

I was planning on taking my son to see it this weekend, but stuff has come up and now I'm not sure if we'll be able to go. I'd love to hear how it is as a bond-with-your-son experience.

sandiegojones

CasualJeff said:
So, sandiego have you seen it yet? You and I seem to see pretty eye to eye when it comes to Star Wars/Indy movies.

I was planning on taking my son to see it this weekend, but stuff has come up and now I'm not sure if we'll be able to go. I'd love to hear how it is as a bond-with-your-son experience.
I didn't get to go tonight because my wife was being..well, a typical wife. I am going tomorrow so I'll let you know.

I did read a positive review from my favorite critic though that gave me a good vibe about it. She tends to be on my wavelength as well and gets SW. Check it out:

www.flickfilosopher.com

No Ticket

Wow. I just read a review of this thing (still haven't seen it) and it has lines like "Somethings smells like Count Dooku." Oh geez. And if that wasn't bad enough... wait til you see what they did to this character called "Zero the Hutt."

Oh man. I just can't give Lucas my money on this one. He is rich enough.

The Man

All pleas will go unanswered...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...dear_george_lucas_stop_ruining_star_wars.html

Mr. Lucas - Can we say George? You and Steven are the fathers of Gen X entertainment, so it only feels right - we know the technology is hard to resist, and that you're still, at heart, that kid from Modesto, California, whose love of hot rods led to "American Graffiti." But just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

3-D versions of the first movies? Whatever, George. Just keep in mind that when some of us saw the Death Star explode that first time, it already was in 3-D, It blasted off the screen, into our heads and lodged in our movie memories like a permanent scene in an Oscar night movie montage. We don't need 3-D AT-ATs and forest cruisers that jump off the screen. We just want you to stop. Create something new.

Benraianajones

When I was waiting to see KOTCS a trailer for Attack of the clones came on actually, and it said in big font on the screen, something to this effect:

"In Summer 2008 -Prepare to see Star Wars...." and I said "Totally ruined". I still stand by that. Though it was ruined with the prequels.

indyclone25

the movie is just the first three episodes of the show --- put in movie form -- its targeted to kids , i saw it --- it was ok for a kiddie movie ---lots of action and some funny stuff from the battle droids --- will it make money ? some, not 100 million tho . if it last s i guess it will make around 70 million when its run is thru .