The Burbs

-Jones-

I love this film! One of the best comedies!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rahjQkQPoqQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rahjQkQPoqQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ik4fILNVdRE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ik4fILNVdRE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Michael24

Oh my God, my family and I love The 'burbs. We still watch it often. So many great scenes. Just a good comedy all-around. I actually saw it as a special sneak preview. We had gone to see something else, and the theater manager announced there would be a special preview afterwards, so we stayed, and I'm glad we did. Still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and one of my favorite movie casts. I love how there's nothing big-budget about it. It's literally like you're just hanging out with actual neighbors. The feeling of a normal day-to-day life is very well-captured. (y)

|ZiR|

Awesome movie. As a kid, I used to think that the title was The Birds. Imagine my confusion when I asked my parents to rent it for me and they came home with the Alfred Hitchcock film. Wost night ever!

The Drifter

Sorry for posting again.
But, I must say if you like "The 'Burbs", you owe it to yourself to watch "Big" and "The Money Pit" also!

Michael24

Big is a really good movie, and The Money Pit is funny as well. I love when Tom Hanks gets stuck in the floor all evening, or when the bathtub falls through the ceiling and he does that hilarious laugh.

I'd love to see Tom Hanks go back to his roots and do a really full-on comedy again like he used to. I love his dramatic stuff, but I'd give anything to see him in full comedy mode again. :)

|ZiR|

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Sorry for posting again.
But, I must say if you like "The 'Burbs", you owe it to yourself to watch "Big" and "The Money Pit" also!

Definitely! The Money Pit rocks. Whatever happened to Shelley Long? She disappeared. :confused:

The Drifter

Yes, I love when Tom Hanks gets stuck in the floor in Money Pit.
He just lays there making paper airplanes outta money lol

The Drifter

-Jones- said:
What about Turner & Hooch or Dragnet /I know, it was stupid... but funny in a way/ ;].

Yeah, Turner and Hootch was a great movie.
My mom is crazy about it. I have never seen Dragnet. It seems when Hanks first stared in Forrest Gump; he left his comedy movie days behind him. (n)

Michael24

Actually, I think that started because of Philadelphia. I wonder if that was basically the first movie that showed Hanks' dramatic chops, and so after it's success he started doing more and more.

I've seen bits and pieces of Dragnet, but I didn't like it very much. Turner & Hooch is okay, but I've only watched it just a few times because of the depressing ending. I actually prefer K-9 when it comes to cop/dog-partner comedies. :) I also like You've Got Mail, though it felt about 20 minutes too long.

The Drifter

Michael24 said:
Actually, I think that started because of Philadelphia. I wonder if that was basically the first movie that showed Hanks' dramatic chops, and so after it's success he started doing more and more.

I've seen bits and pieces of Dragnet, but I didn't like it very much. Turner & Hooch is okay, but I've only watched it just a few times because of the depressing ending. I actually prefer K-9 when it comes to cop/dog-partner comedies. :) I also like You've Got Mail, though it felt about 20 minutes too long.

Maybe it was in the movie <i>Philadelphia</i> that he started on his other side of acting.
I do like his more serious work such as Forrest Gump, Castaway, and The Terminal. But, I just wish that he would go back to his roots as a comedian and make movies such as The 'Burbs again.

U.S.Raider

oh jeez the burbs!
this movie accually helped me to get an A on a test in fifth grade.
i had to tell the difference between suburbs, rural and a few other things and i just though of the 'burbs.
what would society do without movies like these?

Matinee Idyll

|ZiR| said:
Awesome movie. As a kid, I used to think that the title was The Birds. Imagine my confusion when I asked my parents to rent it for me and they came home with the Alfred Hitchcock film. Wost night ever!

Er, since The Birds is a better film than The Burbs - wouldn't it improve rather than diminish your evenings entertainment?

Michael24

Matinee Idyll said:
Er, since The Birds is a better film than The Burbs - wouldn't it improve rather than diminish your evenings entertainment?

Like you can really compare the two anyway. :rolleyes:

|ZiR|

Matinee Idyll said:

I was five-years-old and expecting a comedy with Tom Hanks; not birds killing people. It should've tipped me off that my parents thought it might be too scary for me when I asked for it, but I kept insisting it was indeed what I wanted. :dead:

Although I do agree that Hitchcock is superior. Now. Back then it only freaked me out.

No Ticket

It's funny... but I gotta admit that when I was little it scared me just a little. I think it gave me nightmares, haha.