Metal music

Stoo

Finn said:
For the record, my comment was self-deprecating in manner. I've no doubt that most people living elsewhere than what is arguably the center of the known universe would call them obscure.
Well, Hanoi Rocks were featured fairly frequently in "Circus" and "Creem" magazines back in the day. Being U.S. publications, any American metalhead worth their salt should've known about 'em.

Hey, remember when I figured out your clue in that forum game from 2009? You even tipped your hat because of it.:)

P.S. Until a few years ago, I never realized that Krokus were Swiss (and they got lots of airplay back then). I always thought they were American.

Last edited:

jsarino

The Drifter said:
White Tiger?

How could I have forgotten this group?! I had their album on cassette. :)

Orellana said:
Cool, but I havent heard Nelson ever, so I wouldn't be the one to say either or.

Here you go...see what you think...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1W6-ErrHls

Stoo said:
Guns 'N' Roses were terrible onstage in 1987 and the audience was booing them. They looked good but didn't sound good. (Maybe it was a bad night for them.) Quite a surprise to see how mega-popular they became a couple of years later!

Guns 'N' Roses were involved in an infamous riot here in St. Louis when Axl Rose saw a guy among the fans trying to film the concert. He assaulted the guy, then stormed off stage. A riot then ensued. If you look among the "thank you's" in GNR's liner notes in Use Your Illusion, it says "**** you, St. Louis!"

BTW Stoo, that's an impressive concert attendance list. :)

Orellana

Thanks Jsarino! A very power-ballady piece. It wasn't bad! And Stoo, was GnR doing their "appetite" tour or songs from that album? It's hard to believe people would be booing them if they were.

Stoo

jsarino said:
Guns 'N' Roses were involved in an infamous riot here in St. Louis when Axl Rose saw a guy among the fans trying to film the concert. He assaulted the guy, then stormed off stage. A riot then ensued. If you look among the "thank you's" in GNR's liner notes in Use Your Illusion, it says "**** you, St. Louis!"
Ha ha. That's funny about the liner notes and I remember hearing about the incident in St. Louis. However, the Metallica/GNR riot in Montreal a year later was much worse! James Hetfield got burned onstage so their set ended immediately. GNR came on over 2 hours late and Axl Rose (like the supreme dick that he is) walked off after a handful of songs. A big riot ensued which continued outside with looted stores, overturned police cars, etc. It was a big mess! Later on, Metallica played a return show and honoured the tickets from before. GNR never did.
jsarino said:
BTW Stoo, that's an impressive concert attendance list. :)
Well, I wasn't just alive in the 1980s, I actually LIVED that decade to its fullest degree.:) (Funnily enough, a lot of what is revered now was crap back then!)
Orellana said:
And Stoo, was GnR doing their "appetite" tour or songs from that album? It's hard to believe people would be booing them if they were.
They probably were doing "Appetite" songs because it was the summer of '87. However, local radio stations weren't playing GNR at the time so they were pretty much unknown in my city. At the concert, the sound was lousy, their playing was lousy and the audience weren't familiar with the songs. Put all that together and you're going to get some booing. We were there to see The Cult!

That said, GNR made some good records (thanks to their producers) but as a live act there were pretty dodgy (and Axl Rose is a sh*thead).:p

Orellana

Stoo said:
Ha ha. That's funny about the liner notes and I remember hearing about the incident in St. Louis. However, the Metallica/GNR riot in Montreal a year later was much worse! James Hetfield got burned onstage so their set ended immediately. GNR came on over 2 hours late and Axl Rose (like the supreme dick that he is) walked off after a handful of songs. A big riot ensued which continued outside with looted stores, overturned police cars, etc. It was a big mess! Later on, Metallica played a return show and honoured the tickets from before. GNR never did.
Thats why they broke up. Axl was always late, and was a complete ass after (Guns) made it in the music world. (Duff rants about it a lot in his book) That and drugs. But for a short time they were just about the biggest band in the world...
Is/was he (Axl) always though? I read Duff Mckagan's book and he had a softer side it seems. Plus he had a huge ego because of his fame and almost anyone with an ego like that is bound to be a jerk. I think a lot of frontmen were like that
Stoo said:
Well, I wasn't just alive in the 1980s, I actually LIVED that decade to its fullest degree.:) (Funnily enough, a lot of what is revered now was crap back then!)
Oh if I was alive then, the things I would do... What was crap then that is now revered to?
Stoo said:
That said, GNR made some good records (thanks to their producers) but as a live act there were pretty dodgy (and Axl Rose is a sh*thead).:p
Producers? I thought it was just the boys' good talent. They each brought a different element to the table. (oh and Izzy was a Hanoi Rocks fan) And yes, Axl was like that most of the time.

Last edited:

jsarino

Stoo said:

What things are considered revered now? My rock concert list is quite brief (started in the late '80's to now), so it only includes:
Van Halen (2x)
Rush (3x)
Queensryche (Empire/Operation Mindcrime tour)
Metallica
AC/DC
Def Leppard

My alternative list is much longer, and I'm not going to mention pop and such. :p

Orellana

jsarino said:
How could I have forgotten this band? Remember Kingdom Come?

Kingdom Come - Get It On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq1tpCkAecI&feature=kp

They sounded very Led Zeppelin-like.

Yes I have heard them. Not that song specifically but another called "Do You Like It" Its on Youtube but I dont know the url. Also another band that my friend says has a Zeppelin like sound is Slaughter. Listen to "Fly To The Angels" and I think you'll see what he means. My concert list consists of 2 rock/metal acts (I'm only 15 guys, give me some time) Here they are: Black Sabbath (some electronica artist opened, but I came late so I missed that. thankfully) And Y&T (Which, to my knowledge never graduated past the level of "opening act" or "a bar band") but they had a few hit songs. ahh good times. I want to see warrant, but that will never happen because Jani Lane is no more.

Last edited:

indy dave

I didn't see too many but here's the concerts I saw back in the late 80's:
AC/DC
Motley Crue
Tesla
Van Halen (Hagar version)
Great White

AC/DC was probably my favorite. Loved the cannons on the opening song "For those about to rock .."

Not seeing GNR would be my biggest regret as they were my favorite. Too bad they couldn't stay together. Who knows what other great music they may have made. On the other hand, I've always felt it seems like all of the best music is usually in the first couple of albums from a group. I think it must be the drug creativity .. then they do the rehab thing and it goes downhill from there : )

I stumbled onto a group called Steel Panther the other day. (Think Spinal Tap but for an 80's-type band). Check them out at your own discretion. While their music sounds like it's straight from the 80's it's very offensive!

Orellana

indy dave said:
I didn't see too many but here's the concerts I saw back in the late 80's:
AC/DC
Motley Crue
Tesla
Van Halen (Hagar version)
Great White

AC/DC was probably my favorite. Loved the cannons on the opening song "For those about to rock .."

Not seeing GNR would be my biggest regret as they were my favorite. Too bad they couldn't stay together. Who knows what other great music they may have made. On the other hand, I've always felt it seems like all of the best music is usually in the first couple of albums from a group. I think it must be the drug creativity .. then they do the rehab thing and it goes downhill from there : )

I stumbled onto a group called Steel Panther the other day. (Think Spinal Tap but for an 80's-type band). Check them out at your own discretion. While their music sounds like it's straight from the 80's it's very offensive!
I have heard Steel Panther and yes, they are a joke. Totally a parody. But they say they were performing when all the "sunset strip" stuff was going on. So I don't know . I reall like this song by great white https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z08UGJ_r_j8&feature=kp So go check it out. I do agree that it is bad that drugs and egos tore Guns apart. But you can still see Axl under the guise of "Guns n Roses" but I call his version of the band "Axl and Friends" since he's the only original member left. this is a cool site for metal stuff. http://defleppardforever.weebly.com/

Sea Monarch

jsarino said:
The ones I liked included Warrant, Winger, Whitesnake (yeah I know, I'm in a "w" kick), Lita Ford, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Poison, The Cult. There's also Accept (remember "Balls to the Wall?" :p), Dio, Cinderella, Ratt, Dokken, Guffria, Mr. Big, Stryper, Great White, House of Lords...they may be more metal than hairmetal though. There's others, but I need to jog my memory more.

I remember MTV's Headbanger's Ball. Awesome showcase of alot of hairmetal bands big and small.

What about Nelson? Should they even be considered hairmetal?

At first during the hairmetal heyday, I was immune to the craze, preferring more "important" bands like U2, Peter Gabriel, Mr. Mister, and the like. Than I gave a few artists in the genre a chance, and grew to love some of it. At least half of the bands you mentioned had one song or another that I enjoyed cranking "up to 11"! Some of those bands I could pass on.

For me, add to that list Queensryche and a really excellent band in that genre called Guardian! I even saw them live, and they were Totally Awesome!! :cool:

Since you mention being a fan of Giuffria and House of Lords, if you haven't yet you might want to check out Solo albums by one of their guitarists Lanny Cordola! :whip:
You will probably enjoy his albums as he is both prolific, and tremendously talented! I reccomend his solo joint Electric Warrior/Acoustic Saint, and his follow up album ...Of Riffs and Symphonies. (y)

jsarino

Sea Monarch said:
For me, add to that list Queensryche and a really excellent band in that genre called Guardian! I even saw them live, and they were Totally Awesome!! :cool:

My favorite concert of that period was seeing Queensryche's Empire tour. The special treat of that concert was that they did the entire Operation: Mindcrime front-to-back, with visuals and such. If you never got to see that, you should check out Operation: Livecrime (both CD and video). (y)

Since you mention being a fan of Giuffria and House of Lords, if you haven't yet you might want to check out Solo albums by one of their guitarists Lanny Cordola! :whip:
You will probably enjoy his albums as he is both prolific, and tremendously talented! I reccomend his solo joint Electric Warrior/Acoustic Saint, and his follow up album ...Of Riffs and Symphonies. (y)

I'll look into checking them out. :)

Orellana

I love Queensryche, but I haven't seen the Operation: Livecrime, which i should probably watch this week... Does that concert feature Geoff Tate? Just wondering because they got a new singer after Tate left. And that concert you mentioned sounds fantabulous.... Btw, Any body here know a band called W.A.S.P.?

Orellana

Power Metal

I know this is my third, or fourth metal related thread, but I cant help it. After all, you can never have too much good metal. Any power metal fans out there?

AndyLGR

jsarino said:
Guns 'N' Roses were involved in an infamous riot here in St. Louis when Axl Rose saw a guy among the fans trying to film the concert. He assaulted the guy, then stormed off stage. A riot then ensued. If you look among the "thank you's" in GNR's liner notes in Use Your Illusion, it says "**** you, St. Louis"
I have that show on DVD, it's crazy stuff. He sees the guy with the camera and dives on him from the stage. He eventually gets back on stage, blame security and walks off. Then all hell breaks loose. The 2 GnR concerts I saw in 91 and 92 at Wembley stadium were great gigs.

I know we've diluted the conversation a bit by taking about all aspects of rock but that's my favourite genre of music. Bands like Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Thunder, whitesnake, led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Alice in chains, guns n roses, Judas Priest, queensryche, 80s bon jovi, electric boys, Saxon, steel panther, the darkness, dio, little angles, Motley crue are a few of the many bands I like. I still go to see as many of them in concert as I can too. Last year I saw Leppard, whitesnake, priest, thunder, kiss, the darkness, crue, slash.

The only downside is all these artists and getting older and there aren't a lot of newer bands around that I can see coming up and replacing these older bands. I try to go every year to the download festival ( that replaced the monsters of rock show at Donington), I will be catching Quensryche later this year with their new singer too. Basically I think I'm stuck in the 80s.

Orellana

EvilDevo said:
Yes. Rhapsody, HammerFall, Children of Bodom, etc.
Good stuff!

Awesome to meet a fellow power metaller :) I'm basically addicted to that stuff. That and W.A.S.P. ;)

AndyLGR said:
I know we've diluted the conversation a bit by taking about all aspects of rock but that's my favourite genre of music. Bands like Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Thunder, whitesnake, led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Alice in chains, guns n roses, Judas Priest, queensryche, 80s bon jovi, electric boys, Saxon, steel panther, the darkness, dio, little angles, Motley crue are a few of the many bands I like. I still go to see as many of them in concert as I can too. Last year I saw Leppard, whitesnake, priest, thunder, kiss, the darkness, crue, slash.

The only downside is all these artists and getting older and there aren't a lot of newer bands around that I can see coming up and replacing these older bands. I try to go every year to the download festival ( that replaced the monsters of rock show at Donington), I will be catching Quensryche later this year with their new singer too. Basically I think I'm stuck in the 80s.

If you're looking for new bands, try out Airbourne. They have a very similar vibe to AC/DC and also there are some great (and not so great) sleaze bands out there that are worth a listen.

Last edited: