Star Wars: Rebels

jsarino

I don't think I see a thread specific to this series here, but if there is one, feel free to merge. :) The extended trailer for Star Wars: Rebels is coming out. What do you think? Do you think it will be as good, if not better than The Clone Wars series that preceded it?

kongisking

That's certainly an improved trailer from the last one. A little more to actually chew on. I'm hopeful its good, but some of the elements do have my guard up (that Sabine character has so much potential to be an infuriating Mary Sue its incredible), but The Clone Wars ended up being phenomenal after the first season or so. I hope this show doesn't suffer quite as big an adolescence.

Cautiously hopeful...

S. Dakota Jones

Same here. I would love to see some pre SW stuff with the Empire at its height. Clone Wars was good, but like most PT stuff, just not my thing(not bashing the PT or making it an OT vs PT thread so please don't).

kongisking

S. Dakota Jones said:
Same here. I would love to see some pre SW stuff with the Empire at its height. Clone Wars was good, but like most PT stuff, just not my thing(not bashing the PT or making it an OT vs PT thread so please don't).

Don't worry bout that. I'm actually burnt out on prequel-era stories. I'm definitely excited that we're getting a Dark Times-set show, since I've always wanted to see more of that time period explored.

AndyLGR

kongisking said:
Don't worry bout that. I'm actually burnt out on prequel-era stories. I'm definitely excited that we're getting a Dark Times-set show, since I've always wanted to see more of that time period explored.
Totally agree, now is the time to bring the story forward to the OT and the ST, so I'm pleased we are getting Rebels. The trailer looks promising and I like that they've gone for a different style of animation over TCW.

jsarino

AndyLGR said:
Totally agree, now is the time to bring the story forward to the OT and the ST, so I'm pleased we are getting Rebels. The trailer looks promising and I like that they've gone for a different style of animation over TCW.

It'll make you wonder though that if (and Dave Filoni has hinted here and there) some of the Clone Wars characters make an appearance on Rebels, how will the animators render them? You can already tell the animation here is a bit different from CW...the CW characters themselves were transforming as the series went along. In any case, I did like the depth and arcs the CW did, so I hope to see more of that with Rebels.

Grizzlor

Looks damn good if you ask me! I'm not a huge fan of the way they do the CGI people that way, where they are still cartoonish, but otherwise I'm very intrigued. Was that really McGregor's voice?

S. Dakota Jones

Yep, the two things I always wanted to see since I was a kid and watched/read ROTJ was the empire before epIV and obi-wan and Darth Vader fight.I think this has been about as excited iv been about SW since that duel.

kongisking

A new preview video, that shows off a surprisingly generous amount of footage. The good news is that this gives us even more to judge, and this video has even further bumped up my optimism for the show.

jsarino

So the Inquisitor is more like Asajj Ventress, where he's Force-sensitive, but more a Dark Jedi vs. a Sith? He even looks like the male equivalent of Ventress, IMO. Interesting that Luminara survived Order 66.

S. Dakota Jones

It does look good. I wonderbhow much 3points and R2 will have to do with it...hopefully not much. But . I also hope there isnt some OT character meet n greet every other episode. I was really hoping for this to be its own thing.

I havent looked, but im also wondering how far after epIII this takes place. The main Jedi character seems too old to have turned into an Anakin/Luke type of jedi. Would have made the inquisitor all the more intimidating if we though he was the only force user and lightsaber going in...maybe he was a padawan who escaped the purge? But, the kid is also mentioned having escaped from some jedi temple if iirc, so it cant have been too far after.

Im still very interested but just curious about some of these things. i do think the guy shouldnt have been revealed to be a jedi til it aired after watching the second video.

Sorry, for the random thiughts and i dont mean to sound like a wet blanket either guys, lol.

Grizzlor

S. Dakota Jones said:
It does look good. I wonder how much 3-PO and R2 will have to do with it...hopefully not much. But . I also hope there isn't some OT character meet n greet every other episode. I was really hoping for this to be its own thing.

I haven't looked, but im also wondering how far after epIII this takes place. The main Jedi character seems too old to have turned into an Anakin/Luke type of jedi. Would have made the inquisitor all the more intimidating if we though he was the only force user and lightsaber going in...maybe he was a padawan who escaped the purge? But, the kid is also mentioned having escaped from some jedi temple if iirc, so it cant have been too far after.

Im still very interested but just curious about some of these things. i do think the guy shouldn't have been revealed to be a jedi til it aired after watching the second video.

Sorry, for the random thoughts and i don't mean to sound like a wet blanket either guys, lol.

It was revealed last year that the series will take place 14 years into the Empire's rule, or 5 years before A New Hope. In terms of revelations, Hollywood reveals everything early, so this is no different. They want to capture the short attention span's. I believe it will take place in the "remote" stretches of that galaxy, so there probably won't be much OT character interaction.

S. Dakota Jones

Ah, ok thanks for that. I really wasnt sure of the timeline. I kind of steered away from a lot of the info about this project cause I didn't want to know too much going in. These trailers are really the most i've learned about it since it was announced.

HenryJunior

I never delved into The Clone Wars, nothing against it just never got interested. I like how this looks, Pre-New Hope seems like very interesting territory.

I'm excited about this, but dang that was some the most obvious dialogue ever:
"Who's that kid?"
"This is interesting."

Sorry to nag but they did it several times, when it could have just been presented as a sequence without much dialogue.
It does it's job though I wanna see more, my only concern is if this will be accessible to the older crowd, not just aimed at tweens. But hey faceless stormtroopers getting blownup! So I guess they aren't shying away too much fro violence.

One more note, I think this footage and sound is a bit unfinished as presented. There were some areas that looked/sounded a bit bland, I wouldn't be surprised if the broadcast version is slightly upgraded.

Last edited:
jsarino said:
Another Rebels short today. Raveners may appreciate what scene/music this clip references. :D

Yeah...I appreciate that Disney has nothing planned for Indy, save for sampling his music and motifs, and demolishing his stunt show to make room for SW Land...real cute.

kongisking

So I watched Spark of Rebellion, and was very pleased and surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I expected something much more mixed or middling. But I really thought the majority of it worked fantastically. I liked all of the characters (even that Sabine chick worked well, mostly thanks to not being in it much and when she does appear, she's NOT using all her screen-time being feisty and sassy like I feared). They have great chemistry with each other, and most of the quips and banter work.

There's even some sincere touching bits, the one most prominent in my mind being a scene where the heroes hand out food to the poor. There is a genuinely great bit here involving Ezra, the kid who still looks a lot like Aladdin to me, which pretty much won my full faith in the show. If it can do more moments like that, this could be something golden. The animation even grew on me pretty darn quick (watching it in HD helps make it look a lot better). And holy...the ending montage was just perfect. Hit the absolute right note.

I overall thought this worked great as a launching point for this crew and their adventures. I'm pumped for where they go with it all, and Inquisitor is going to rock, I know it. Good stuff!

Also, this article highlights a really neat detail that old-school fans might really appreciate. :D

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/10/03/star-wars-rebels-lightsabers-exclusive/16633095/