Devil May Care - The new James Bond Novel

00Kevin

Indyfan
tomorrow is the relase date for the new bond novel from Sebastian Falks. it's the first adult bond book in 6 years (since benson's the man with the red tattoo) and unlike bensen's modern bond novels, it takes place in the fleming era (1968) and is celebrating the 100th birthday of the late ian flemming.

anyone else looking forward to it?

Indy_Chic

Yeah, I've been hearing quite a bit about this book. I'll definitely check it out when it hits my local bookstore!(y)

Hawkeye

Definitely! Kinda sucks that they're only doing Borders in-store events in the UK, but what are you gonna do?

00Kevin

Indyfan
I'm about half way through, it's entertaining as always. I'm also excited because it's the first time that bond goes to a certain country of my ancestors.

The main villian is really interesting thus far. He is very arrogant and had a distinct physical trait in the same way that early bond villians often had something with which they would easily be identified with.

agentsands77

It's entertaining, but it's far from the really good Bond material. It's more of a pastiche of what Fleming originally did than an actual successor to the original novels.

As far as it stands, COLONEL SUN by Kingsley Amis (writing under the pseudonym Robert Markham) is still the best continuation novel.

Turtle

I haven't enjoyed this novel so far. I agree agentsands77, Colonel Sun is by far the best continuation novel. I think Gardner started out on the right path, although the problem was with the changing timeline, and Benson, IMO never approached Fleming in the slightest.