TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #76
Flannery10
IndyFan

It is not a secret, Lucas modeled Old Indy after John Ford, who also appears in Hollywood Follies, but I didn't know the two looked that similar. Great pic, Indy Smith.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #77
Indy Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
It is not a secret, Lucas modeled Old Indy after John Ford, who also appears in Hollywood Follies, but I didn't know the two looked that similar. Great pic, Indy Smith.

I hadn't heard that he modelled him after John Ford. Well I guess it couldn't be coincidence
Indy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #78
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Well, I guess Lucas lost interest in John Ford around the late nineties.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #79
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Smith
When I sent the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles videos to my friend who does not watch the series he sent me back this link:

http://www.kinokunst.de/FBooks_d/HFB...n_Ford_600.jpg

I also learned that a scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, The Young Indy Scene was shot at Monumnet Valley at John Ford Point. A location he used for his westerns.

That was the intent, but they ended up being at Arches National Park instead. If they'd have been in Monument Valley, you could tell.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #80
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
Could you up the original scene to youtube for me mate? I haven't seen it in years... Or, if you have the inclination, could you do a before and after comparison with both videos?

I have to ask, with regard redubbing Barthelmey and Bouttcher - WHY!?!
Yeah, I would love to do that but don't think I'll have the time. My plan was to upload
all the bookends (and a bunch of other stuff) before Indy 4 but it doesn't look like it's
going to happen.

As for the re-dubs? Let's take it over to the "Scenes Cut from VHS/DVDs" thread.
On top of the new voices, there are a lot of differences and deleted shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
Haha,I love it.Really takes me back.I love how Indy hits on the mail lady after his story,Proves he he hadn't lost any of his moves,Even in old age!
Too right! I thought that was a great touch and she digs it, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
Part 4 is definetly the best part yet though, poor Indy, wonder what happened to him? I mean, he's hardly still going in that Parallell fictional Indyverse, I mean he'd be 108. And he seems far too doddery to go out in a blaze of Glory.
Did you mean this one?

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...409#post283409

This was a joke post where I used the bookends as the basis for his fate.
(Imagine if that were the case, though. H.Ford couldn't emulate Indy's real
accent which created a jarring difference between the film trilogy and the
bookends. Now, there's a backwards way of looking at things!)

Quote:
Does anyone else think, 'if only they knew' about those fellow prisoners, I mean we're talking about Indiana Jones here, its sorta tragic that they hiss him outta the cell. In his prime he woulda shown them a thing or two..
This is precisely why I like the bookends now. It's the irony! I think it's interesting
to see him become an old, babbling fool since it creates a mystique around his past.
He did great things but now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
I loved the German East Africa and Congo ones and they are my favorite so far.
Then, my friend, you are going to loooooooove the "Petrograd" ones...
"Ireland" has some touching narration in the closer, too!
Quote:
In case nobody looked at the link I posted:
I did and thanks for the photo.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #81
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Then, my friend, you are going to loooooooove the "Petrograd" ones...
"Ireland" has some touching narration in the closer, too!

You mean the one with the blurry photo? Yeah, I've read about some of these bookends but I've never seen them. That one seems to be quiet fun.
I count Ireland to my favorite episodes, so there's no doubt, the bookends will be great, too.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #82
Indy Smith
IndyFan

I noticed that Sgt Barthelemy performance seemed a bit off. it didn't sit quie right. I wonder if they had done some ADR on it. However i never realised Major Boucher had been ADR'd also. Were they ADR'd by the same actors then or different ones?

I'd also love to see what the original "Test me" scene looked like now that I know otherwise. In fact I'd love to see te original ADR for both the actors.

I do love the new edits. The stories are still there, but there is something about the opening and closing of the stories that don't feel just right. They don't have that oomph of an opening as they would have done if they had shot those episode originally without the bookends.

Edit: This is the first time I've seen the clip from the Mystery of The Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwEIs5_z7E

It's brilliant! I thught this was one bookend that they actually kept in? Because when they were advertising the Young Indy stories on VHS they advertised the Mystery of the Blues with Harrison Ford.

Last edited by Indy Smith : 03-13-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #83
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Edit: This is the first time I've seen the clip from the Mystery of The Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwEIs5_z7E

It's brilliant! I thught this was one bookend that they actually kept in? Because when they were advertising the Young Indy stories on VHS they advertised the Mystery of the Blues with Harrison Ford.

Yeah, it's still there, and will be on Volume Three, The Years of Change.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #84
Grave Robber
IndyFan

Wow this video completely depresses me. I agree with the commenter on youtube...George Hall should burn in hell for his Indy interpretation.
Grave Robber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #85
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave Robber
Wow this video completely depresses me. I agree with the commenter on youtube...George Hall should burn in hell for his Indy interpretation.

Show some friggin' respect!! Hall was a damn good actor and his portrayal as Indy in his twilight years was top notch!

Sigh....Are these the kind of members we have to put up with come May 22?

Looks like this is an early preview.

Last edited by metalinvader : 03-15-2008 at 03:08 AM.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:25 AM   #86
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:

Kindly **** off.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #87
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:

I hope that was meant to be facetious.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #88
ReggieSnake
IndyFan

Quote:
It's alright to have an opinion...but this is kinda the wrong thread for that one.
ReggieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #89
Indy Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSnake
It's alright to have an opinion...but this is kinda the wrong thread for that one.

yeah it seems a bit too harsh I think. I mean I do like the bookends, but I'll admit that some of the bookends feel a bit patronizing and that George didn't quite nail it as an older Indy. He needed to be more gruff in his voice ad play the scenes a lot more truthful. That was one of my main things I disliked about the Indy TV series is that often the comedy wasn't played honest and was played up.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #90
Grave Robber
IndyFan

Well I can agree that yes it was a little harsh of a response. But IMO, I don't think you can have anyone portray Indy at an age older than the movies other than Harrison Ford. Doing a young chronicles was genius, and I really enjoyed those because they really showed the maturation of Indy. And it was ok to have Flannery because you can't make an old actor super young, but you CAN make him super old if needed. Hall seemed too "old manish" to me, at least in the initial video posted: way too grumpy and senile. I don't think an old Indy would be that way. And the eye thing...I dunno that seemed a bit over the top.

All I was trying to say is that I think showing the character in his younger years was great, and a good idea. But portraying him as an old man (very old actually) and with a new actor...well I think that wasn't the best idea, nor was it done very well. But like I said, this is just IMO
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #91
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
But portraying him as an old man (very old actually) and with a new actor...well I think that wasn't the best idea, nor was it done very well.
It may interest you to know that Lucas wanted to used Ford for these segments
and discussed it with him. The idea was canned as it was figured the make-up
required might be a little, dicey looking.

I like the idea that he becomes cantankerous and slightly senile. It's ironic.
G.Hall's accent is off but the difference doesn't really bother me.

As far your initial "burn in hell" comment...watch out! Old Indy is likely to come
around and clobber you with his cane!

Anyway, welcome to The Raven, Grave Robber.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #92
Grave Robber
IndyFan

Ha yeah I apologize for that comment...I was more so quoting what the person had said on youtube. Yeah different stuff works for different people, that's why this wonderful forum is here so we can share our stories on how we've reacted to the many Indy productions out there.

As long as we all agree Indy is the man...we're all on the same level
Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #93
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
I like the idea that he becomes cantankerous and slightly senile. It's ironic.
G.Hall's accent is off but the difference doesn't really bother me.

Let me tell you why I have a fondness for Old Indy: He reminds me a lot of my grandfather, who served in World War II, and literally couldn't go five minutes without bringing up the war because something (even the littlest thing) would always remind him of it. He served in both Italy and Japan from 1942 to 1945. He lived to be 84, and I was with him for the last ten of those years.

Among his many war stories, he told me on several occasions when I was young that (and I'm not making this up): he ran into Bonnie and Clyde at the height of their crime spree, was present at the execution of Benito Mussolini, and was at the 1944 eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Italy. He also told stories of a lot of other cool stuff like how he stole a gun off of a dead Nazi (which I was later shown when his possesions were distributed to my dad and uncles after his death), and going hungry and risking court marshalling so he could feed some of the starving kids near where he was stationed.

Now he had a sharp mind up until he was about 82, so I don't doubt he knew what he was saying and was telling the truth. But, because of his peronality, I'm sure he exaggerated a little bit. For example, he swore that he saw a dog walk across a river of lava and survive, and that the heat of Vesuvius caused him to go bald. All of this is why Old Indy's actions as an old man seem so realistic to me, and why I think it was a travesty that Lucas removed the Old Indy bookends for the home video releases. To me, they were an old man looking back on his extraordianry life, maybe exaggerating a few things, but wanting to tell people what it was really like growing up in the early 1900s and fight in the war, while trying to instill life lessons in them.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #94
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Your Grandfather sounds like an amazingly cool guy. Ya see, thats life we should all try to live, miracle dogs and all..
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #95
ReggieSnake
IndyFan

Wow, thanks for sharing the story... I wish I could have met your grandfather. My grandfather was a little younger at the time (he just turned 80). He ran away at 16 to join the Merchant Marines, so I can relate from the stories he tells of the South Pacific.

Quote:
Ya see, thats life we should all try to live, miracle dogs and all..
"Life's like a movie, write your own ending..."
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
All of this is why Old Indy's actions as an old man seem so realistic to me, and why I think it was a travesty that Lucas removed the Old Indy bookends for the home video releases. To me, they were an old man looking back on his extraordianry life, maybe exaggerating a few things, but wanting to tell people what it was really like growing up in the early 1900s and fight in the war, while trying to instill life lessons in them.
Well put. I'm watching them now for the first time on DVD, and that element is sorely missing, seemingly for no apparent reason.
ReggieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #96
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Part 5

Old Professor Jones is still in demand! Indy is out of town speaking as a guest
lecturer for the Pennsylvania History Society. More memorable narration from
G.Hall but, unfortunately, not much else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkStqi_PrrI

Up next...Part 6. (Should I dare share the rarest pair out there?)
Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #97
Indy Smith
IndyFan

Sweet Stoo! Thanks for the new video upload!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #98
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Well, at least they enjoyed listening to him.

Quote:
(Should I dare share the rarest pair out there?)

Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #99
metalinvader
IndyFan

Haha,I love Indy's look at the end!

Stoo,What would that rarest pair be?
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #100
Flannery10
IndyFan

It's not a bad bookend. Quiet funny, like the episode itself, but not the best.

As for your comment Adam, the bookends, in which the listeners enjoyed the story Old Indy told them, just made the story seem better, sometimes.

Statistic, so far:

Enjoyed: Curse of the Jackal, London, Congo, Austria, Barcelona
Bored or Missed the Point: British East Africa, Verdun, German East Africa, Somme, Germany

Right now it's 5:5, but that will change with your uploads, Stoo. Please don't tell me about the other people's reactions in the bookends not uploaded, since I don't want you to spill the surprise.

@metalinvader: That'd be the George Hall "Mystery of the Blues" bookends, that were only aired in Europe. Are those actually in English, Stoo and yeah, please load them up!!