Petition to publish Staff of Kings novelization!

Junior Jones

He can't release it on his own. Assuming he produced it under contract to the publisher and Lucasfilm it belongs to them. It's not his anymore.

bennihana123

Junior Jones said:
He can't release it on his own. Assuming he produced it under contract to the publisher and Lucasfilm it belongs to them. It's not his anymore.

That makes sense... Hopefully we'll be able to read it in some form or another sometime down the road :whip:

Exulted Unicron

We got the games. The soundtrack, the Prima strategy guide, but Lucas couldn't give us the novel? Its a real shame and I would have loved to have added it to my collection

DiscoLad

They spend all this time on this thing and for what? To have it sit on a shelf?
Give it to the fans! Im in!
Im tired on reading Ghostly Riders Young Indiana Jones Chronicles over and over...

I want something new to read about Jones!

Caidanbi

Exulted Unicron said:
We got the games. The soundtrack, the Prima strategy guide, but Lucas couldn't give us the novel? Its a real shame and I would have loved to have added it to my collection

I agree, I think this could have been a really cool story, it's a pity it doesn't look like they will be publishing it :( *sigh*

Icybro

So the petition and related early efforts to get this book published have evidently come up short. I'm still dying to read it, though, and I know I'm not alone . . . but it's pretty clear that Del Rey could care less. So I've been thinking: what can we do to get them to care? Del Rey is a business. They determined long ago that they weren't gonna make enough money on Rob MacGregor's Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings to justify the expense of publishing it. If we want to change their mind, we gotta show them the money.

I'm spitballing a bit here, but indulge me. What if we started a campaign at kickstarter.com to raise a sizable sum, enough to get Del Rey's attention? We could pitch it as "Indiana Jones needs YOU to rescue him" or something. Maybe we could work it so that a $50(?) donation gets you a copy of the book if the project succeeds; and maybe we could ask MacGregor if he'd be willing to autograph bookplates or something for $25 donations.

So here's the key question: how much would we need to raise to get Del Rey's attention?

What do you guys think? :confused:

bennihana123

I'm liking the sound of that, but it would be difficult to get them to produce physical copies of the book with the publishing costs involved. Maybe an e-book release would be easier?

TheMutt92

I remember this happened w/ a SW novel a few years ago, something Clone Wars related. I'm pretty sure it was completed and then cancelled six months or something before publication.

Sharkey

TheMutt92 said:
I remember this happened w/ a SW novel a few years ago, something Clone Wars related. I'm pretty sure it was completed and then cancelled six months or something before publication.
Hmmm, insightful.:confused:

TheMutt92

Sharkey said:
Do you know or are you guessing?

I know. After some research, I remember now it was Escape from Dagu. Here's some history off the SW wiki:

The story was apparently completed when it was decided to scrap it in favor of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, due to the greater public appeal of Yoda. However, Darc, Dagu, and Shaak Ti's mission were referenced in Republic HoloNet News Core Edition 14:3:22 and The Official Star Wars Fact File 116, making the general storyline of Escape from Dagu still canon.

And it also has an online petition, as seen here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/swefd004/petition.html

TheMutt92

Sharkey said:
Well lookie here, we're almost having an Indiana Jones conversation, if you could drop the Star Wortz and make it Indiana Jones.(n)

Like I said, just making a comparison to make my point clear: things like this have happened w/ Lucasbooks before, and I highly doubt they'll reverse their decision.

LawgSkrak

Why don't we try to get them to release it as an ebook? We might have more luck with that than trying to get them to publish it in actual book form.

whipwarrior

Rob tried to get the project off the ground last year but Lucasfilm wouldn't allow it, citing production cost without a movie to generate profit. Of course, such paltry considerations never deterred the endless torrent of Star Wars merchandise released in the absence of a feature film (TV series aside), so unless Indy 5 happens, don't hold your breath for an Indiana Jones literary revival.