TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Moedred
Administrator

Avengers: Infinity War

Two films which will have different titles start filming later this year.
Quote:
You’re going to be moving around through different perspectives of the characters. It’s like Nashville for super heroes. It’s storytelling that is vignetted storytelling.
It's like when "your" book gets railroaded for months by some publisher-wide allowance-sucking cross-pollinating arc. Usually it leads nowhere. Though maybe as with Harry Potter 7 we'll get some fatalities. Omniscient Heimdall has to go if he survives 2017: Marvel in Space. Vision will lose his bindi and possibly corporeal form in the galactic game of Trivial Pursuit which is the plot. Followed hopefully by some plain old boring traditional end credits, June, and Indy 5.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Moedred
Administrator

Ready Player One, and now this! Brilliant work as always from our (semi?) retired site staff Paul Shipper, and Raven member #3.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Pale Horse

Ooops - Spoilers

[align=right]I went through all this work just to create a ****y troll post, and you fell for it. /align]

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse

[align=right]I went through all this work just to create a ****y troll post, and you fell for it. /align]

Indeed I did.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Great ride -- and what a trip to see it with a full house. Can't recall some of the great recent endings (like in the Harry Potter films) but in my showing everyone not only stayed to the end of the end credits but lingered long afterwards outside the theatre. It's a once in a lifetime event.

Here's the best review that I found.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Great ride -- and what a trip to see it with a full house. Can't recall some of the great recent endings (like in the Harry Potter films) but in my showing everyone not only stayed to the end of the end credits but lingered long afterwards outside the theatre. It's a once in a lifetime event.

Here's the best review that I found.

Meh...I'm with Shorty on this one. So much popcorn. How can you truly invest yourself into the characters and story this film, when you consider this THREAD...I mean everything you think will be changed on a whim, anyway. I know it's supposed to be a spectacle, and it is, and the Russo Brothers did a fine job when you consider the scale of the ensemble. But, it ain't gonna stay with me. It's pulpy, it's shiny, it's well connected, but that's about all I can say about it. It's temporal. Very temporal.

In the end the deus ex machina and gross suspension of disbelief is too much to overcome.

Maybe I'm too old.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
roundshort
IndyFan

I donít know Pale, I heard that at the end Captain Kirk hooks up with Bat Girl while Logan and E.T. Have an epic battle all while Inspector Gadget.... never mind
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Pale Horse

I'm crying!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
while Logan and E.T. Have an epic battle

Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
roundshort
IndyFan

that was the EXACT image I had as I was posting!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
JasonMa
IndyFan

I'm with Pale Horse, good, not great. Probably better if you're a die-hard Marvel comic nut (I'm not) but for me it doesn't live up to the best of the MCU. My top 5 of the MCU are still (in some order) the first Avengers, Black Panther, and all 3 Captain America movies.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
Joe Brody
IndyFan

It's a good film but I think it will underperform due to the ending that lacks an adequate hopeful upbeat -- like the soldier reading Churchill's speech at the end of Dunkirk.

My older kids have already gone back to watch it again with friends, as have my wife and I (the film got in my head and I needed to see it again). My youngest on the other hand does not want to see it again. I think as word gets out, some families will stay away and young kids will shy away.

From what I understand about Ant Man and The Wasp, its going to be very interesting to see how that film avoids ending on the same downbeat -- but I'm sure Marvel knows enough to get some equilibrium back.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
Moedred
Administrator

Great movie. This thread contained spoilers 2 years and a billion dollars ago, so why stop now? Mark Ruffalo spoiled it a year ago: "Wait til you see this next one, ha-..." Pretty sure Shuri backed up Vision. Peter Dinklage is the new Heimdall. I'm guessing the relatively carefree Ant-Man 2 occurs before this.

Indyfans in particular should consider the directors' wise words:
Quote:
When you try to predict what an audience wants, you’re going to make mush. When you commit to the story you want to tell, it tends to have a much more resonant impact on the audience. The audience can tell you they love chocolate ice cream, but if you give it to them every day, they’re going to get sick of it real fast.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #13
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I'm guessing the relatively carefree Ant-Man 2 occurs before this.

If Antman had been around and miniaturized himself, he could have crawled into Thanos' ass and then gone gigantic, and this could have all been avoided.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I'm guessing the relatively carefree Ant-Man 2 occurs before this.
Yes and Ms. Marvel is set in the 90's (thus the use of a pager in the bonus scene). As the only two MCU movies between now and Avengers 4 we won't see any fallout until then.*

* - Still unknown is how SHIELD will deal with this. Last week's episode had a comment about the "happenings in New York" which I assume was a callout to the movie. With them not being renewed yet they may be planning to avoid it until next season, if it happens.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
roundshort
IndyFan

Why didnít just take the big eagles to drop the ring in the fire?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #16
Pale Horse

Quote:
Why didnít just take the big eagles to drop the ring in the fire?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #17
Moedred
Administrator

A scene near the end takes place in Soul World?
Quote:
ďYeah, itís ó itís implied itís the Soul Stone. Itís all orange around, then heís inside the Soul Stone with the amount of power that it took to snap his fingers.Ē When asked if that means that Gamora is in the Soul Stone, Russo answered, ďSheís, in fact is, yes.Ē
Quantum Realm up next? Bob Iger:
Quote:
Weíre looking for worlds that are completely separate from the worlds weíve already visited. They can be separate geographically, or separate in timeónot just in place but in time.
Evangeline Lilly:
Quote:
Everythingís about to shift, and youíre about to lose the solid ground underneath you. And [Ant-Man and the Wasp], of course, will play a part in that. Those characters are experts in the quantum realm. In Ant-Man and the Wasp, they are trying everything in their power to safely enter the quantum realm and return back from it because they have evidence from the first film that Scott Lang was able to do that. If he can do it, why canít we? If we do succeed in Ant-Man and the Wasp, then that does open a whole entire new multi-verse to enter into and play around in.
Very well reasoned predictions here.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #18
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
If Antman had been around and miniaturized himself, he could have crawled into Thanos' ass and then gone gigantic, and this could have all been avoided.

You have to be one of the saltiest individuals I've ever met. You want Indy wiped off the map and Harrison Ford committed to an asylum (going so far as to repeatedly accuse him of Dementia - wishing it on him so he can't be in Indy 5 - wishing a fate worse than death on a guy just so he can't be in a movie), you gleefully hope for the death of the moviegoing experience. You hate a pulpy film because it's pulpy. KOTCS burned you THAT bad, eh?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 AM   #19
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
...you gleefully hope for the death of the moviegoing experience. You hate a pulpy film because it's pulpy. KOTCS burned you THAT bad, eh?

Quote:
I have a lot more to say about this, but it is hard to get it across to you since youíve picked up this bad habit of not listening. By this time you ought to be teachers yourselves, yet here I find you need someone to sit down with you and go over the basics..., starting from square oneóbabyís milk, when you should have been on solid food long ago! Milk is for beginners, inexperienced in Truth's ways; solid food is for the mature, who have some practice in telling right from wrong.

I just believe in growing up. I guess that makes me a pirate.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #20
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
You have to be one of the saltiest individuals I've ever met. You want Indy wiped off the map and Harrison Ford committed to an asylum (going so far as to repeatedly accuse him of Dementia - wishing it on him so he can't be in Indy 5 - wishing a fate worse than death on a guy just so he can't be in a movie), you gleefully hope for the death of the moviegoing experience. You hate a pulpy film because it's pulpy. KOTCS burned you THAT bad, eh?

If you think Pale is salty, you ain't seen nothing yet. Morton's has my phone number on speed dial. What we need is Harrison Ford waking up in a treatment center saying that KOTCS (and LC) were just a bad dream....
Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
If you think Pale is salty, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Salty - for lack of a better word - is good.

Salty is right.

Salty works.

Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #22
Raiders112390
IndyFan

It's really not though. It's unpleasant, honestly.
What does being bitter really do for anyone?
It just boggles the mind that on a board dedicated to a dumb adventure/action series which itself was a homage to even dumber pulpy serials, you have so many people who have come to hate the people behind Indiana Jones, or who hate on pulpy films. Pale Horse said he "grew up"; the implication being that people who like fun pulpy films haven't grown up. But growing up doesn't need to include becoming embittered.

And I honestly do not understand why Gen Xers hate old people so much. I don't know, I was raised to respect our elders. Seems some here were raised to think low of them.

The hatred some hold for Harrison Ford here, you would think he wrote the KOTCS script himself. WISHING Alzheimer's on him - a disease worse than death - just so he won't be able to be in Indy V - is sick to me.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
Pale Horse

Quote:
...What we need ....

is Harrison Ford waking up in a treatment center saying that KOTCS (and LC) were just a bad dream

is Sallah at his funeral, saying that he was never the same after drinking from the Holy Grail, going into fits of delirium and fever dreams for 20 years. Happy now that he is at peace with his dad. And that because of his repeated losses of artifacts over the years, Marshall College is renaming the Archaeology wing from Jones Hall, back to Marcus Brody.

Fixed that for you.

Quote:
And I honestly do not understand why Gen Xers hate old people so much. I don't know, I was raised to respect our elders. Seems some here were raised to think low of them..

We're all older than you kid. That gives us perspective.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #24
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Infinity War is gonna clear $2 Billion -- which is awesome.

I can't wait for next May and the second installment.

The Russo brothers have alluded to 'mysterious' forces at work in Part 2 and all the Marvel team have denied the more obvious time travel type speculations for bringing characters back to life, so I can't hazard a guess as to plot, but I do have a few guesses about how the film starts and ends.

Interestingly, word is that Kenneth Branagh voiced the emergency distress call that starts the film (which I particularly liked since it reminded me of the tanker mid-battle radio broadcasts at the beginning of Fury).

Branagh directed the original Thor back in 2011, and his continued involvement makes me think that he may have an acting role in Infinity War Part 2 (or whatever it is ultimately called) as the new civilian leader of the Asgardian survivors.

One way to start the film would be for more ships coming into the earth's atmosphere. The surviving Avengers (including folks from Wakanda) scramble to meet the new threat -- but it turns out to be a false alarm. Turns out, the arriving ships are the Asgardian survivors from Thanos's attack which we saw at the beginning of Infinity War (during Infinity War, Thor says that Thanos killed half his people -- so the second half, the survivors, are likely with Valkyrie and Branagh's character, who take them to earth).

Meanwhile, Tony Stark and Nebula find a way to get back to earth -- but only after they have to collaborate to science-the-sh*t out (ala The Martian) of the wreckage of ships on Titan to come up with something serviceable to get back to earth. For me, the Stark/Nebula pairing is the most bizarre pairing there could be in the MCU -- beyond even Rocket and Bucky Barnes. Upon returning to earth, Stark learns from Happy Gilmore that Pepper Potts turned to ash.

As to the climax, I like one recent fan theory: at the critical moment, Steve Rogers takes some suicidal action to buy Stark time -- and Stark tries to stop him by saying 'stick to the plan' and Rogers replies 'this was always the plan' -- echoing Yinson's scene from the first Iron Man.

As I said above, I have no idea where the action or story goes from here but I suspect the film ends with a wedding -- between Stark and Potts (who is somehow restored) and maybe Gamorra and Quill. It would be great if Stan Lee officiates the wedding and there are many mid-credit scenes of hilarity at the wedding -- which I suggest would be in Norway at the site of the new Asgardian City that Odin picked out in Ragnorak.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #25
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
As to the climax, I like one recent fan theory: at the critical moment, Steve Rogers takes some suicidal action to buy Stark time -- and Stark tries to stop him by saying 'stick to the plan' and Rogers replies 'this was always the plan' -- echoing Yinson's scene from the first Iron Man.
I could see that, but i could also see something else with a different callback. Remember the beginning of Avengers 2 when they were all in Avengers Tower getting drunk and the montage of everyone trying to lift Mjolnir (Thor's hammer)? Remember have Steve just barely moved it which surprised Thor and got his attention? Obviously this is a nod to Steve's "goodness" as being almost worthy to wield Mjolnir.

I think that also likely makes him the best candidate to use the Infinity Gauntlet without being corrupted by it, to "undo" what Thanos did.