Ideas For New Indy Actor

EddyW

That was me mentioning Bana (and maybe others, I don't know). I still see him as a good candidate, he just has the same kind of vibe as Harrison. He's manly, but not in a fashion model kind of way, he can be tough and gritty, but also classy and even nerdish. And he just looks enough like Ford.

Yes, I know the costume is wrong, but still:
Troy-Poster-006.jpg

eric-bana-hector-troy-movie.jpg

Mickiana

EddyW from the Netherlands! I should have known it would be a Dutchman making a good suggestion. I'm half Dutch myself. I even have a Netherlands passport.

My only concern about Eric is his age. I think of the opportunity missed by not making more Indiana Jones pics through the 90s and into the 00s with Harrison. I think even Spielberg made a remark to that effect. At least they did the 5th even if it was questionable in a few ways.

If they chose the right actor they could start a new series, so to speak, that stretches through the 1920s and 1930s. Who knows, there could be 4 or 5 good Indy flicks to be had that way. But for this, Eric would be too old. I would rather see someone playing Indy who could be available for a big commitment and with whom the audience could develop a good relationship.

Harrison captured the era of 1981 to 2008, or 1935 to 1957. A new actor could fill the Indiana Jones timeline from the early 1920s up to the mid 1930s. Revisiting the intrigue of those decades surely has to be mine of great adventures.

mikieson

There is no way around it..Using someone else to play Indy is just wrong. Its like getting someone else to make new Rocky movies. I just cant fathom the idea. HF is INDY..thats that. You get someone else and you will try and compare him to HF every time you see him. You wont like it..

Raiders90

mikieson said:
There is no way around it..Using someone else to play Indy is just wrong. Its like getting someone else to make new Rocky movies. I just cant fathom the idea. HF is INDY..thats that. You get someone else and you will try and compare him to HF every time you see him. You wont like it..

I am sure producers said the same thing when Connery said he was quitting Bond in 1967.

Mickiana

Not continuing the role of Indiana Jones will be wrong. If there is a fifth from GL, SS and HF, I don't expect it to be much better than CS. I'd like to be proven wrong on that account. This is all just wishful thinking, but i wish George would permit a reboot with a younger actor to get some good stories out of the 1920s and 1930s and that a team with the balls that they had back in the 1980s would make the new flicks.

Comparing the situation to Rocky is not right. The difference is that people will not want to see movie after movie of Rocky getting his head pummeled. I mean, how many different stories can you get out of that anyway?! The world of Indiana Jones, though, has so much potential for many more fantastic adventures without getting stale. Because the world of Indiana Jones is bound up in history, adventure and questing, the sky is the limit.

But I know, you are talking about the replacement of the lead character and thus possibly destroying (or otherwise) the legacy. Again, I don't think the role has been made so sacred by Harry that someone else couldn't do it and do it well AND have it accepted by the viewing audience. I can't see a single reason why it wouldn't work.

I think Harry is almost too old now to do another one without that impacting negatively on the legacy. If what I propose became manifest, we would have the same loved character back to please more young audiences with someone who can realistically be an adventuring and womanising rogue such as we had in the 1980s.

I'd like to actually hear why Harry can't be replaced. No one has given a reason. They've given poor analogies, but no real reason that explains anything other than their emotional attachment to Harrison, which I can understand but would not want to limit myself to.

mikieson

Mickiana said:
Not continuing the role of Indiana Jones will be wrong. If there is a fifth from GL, SS and HF, I don't expect it to be much better than CS. I'd like to be proven wrong on that account. This is all just wishful thinking, but i wish George would permit a reboot with a younger actor to get some good stories out of the 1920s and 1930s and that a team with the balls that they had back in the 1980s would make the new flicks.

Comparing the situation to Rocky is not right. The difference is that people will not want to see movie after movie of Rocky getting his head pummeled. I mean, how many different stories can you get out of that anyway?! The world of Indiana Jones, though, has so much potential for many more fantastic adventures without getting stale. Because the world of Indiana Jones is bound up in history, adventure and questing, the sky is the limit.

But I know, you are talking about the replacement of the lead character and thus possibly destroying (or otherwise) the legacy. Again, I don't think the role has been made so sacred by Harry that someone else couldn't do it and do it well AND have it accepted by the viewing audience. I can't see a single reason why it wouldn't work.

I think Harry is almost too old now to do another one without that impacting negatively on the legacy. If what I propose became manifest, we would have the same loved character back to please more young audiences with someone who can realistically be an adventuring and womanising rogue such as we had in the 1980s.

I'd like to actually hear why Harry can't be replaced. No one has given a reason. They've given poor analogies, but no real reason that explains anything other than their emotional attachment to Harrison, which I can understand but would not want to limit myself to.
Well I guess if you want just a ball park answer...Anyone can be replaced. Its just a question of "if they should be" OR "why"..

Sure HF can be replaced, but in the hearts of MILLIONS it wont work. He just simply IS Indiana Jones. When you have someone that is known for such an iconic character its almost impossible to replace them.

Again...anyone can be replaced...but its not always wise..As for 007...they were different people for the reason of....they retired from their job OR killed or whatever..and had to be replaced with another 007..Its not just a "one person role"...Indy is a one person role.

I know we'll never really see eye to eye with this and its ok..heck some people just see things differently.

OH one more thing...Im a HUGE LOSTIE "Lost fan"...HUGE...watch it back to back 5x now..listen to the music,watch clips,download pics ect ect..and some people have wanted them to make a new LOST..I say NO to that as noone will ever do it right after the original..no way , no how..

Mickiana

If they can be replaced they should be. Why: There's too much good stuff to come to just ignore it because Harry was the original Indiana Jones.

We won't see eye to eye on this. That's alright. But if they do a reboot in the future would you go see it?

mikieson

Mickiana said:
If they can be replaced they should be. Why: There's too much good stuff to come to just ignore it because Harry was the original Indiana Jones.

We won't see eye to eye on this. That's alright. But if they do a reboot in the future would you go see it?
It would depend on the person they get and even then the whole time watching I would be comparing him to HF.

Case in point...Superman is Christopher Reeves..100%..He had such a respectful, large, impression..he took Superman and owned it..BUT..I have to say I really liked the guy they got for Superman Returns. He almost was a perfect Christopher Reeves replacement. He was so humble,quiet,had that perfect look and totally gave "what I feel" respect to the man..

NOW...IF...IF..they can do that with Indy..maybe there would be a slight chance I could give in..but, that is a BIG maybe..Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE more Indy movies..but the hardcore in me says...NO..I dont want another person playing Indy..Maybe we'll see...maybe not..??..Im waiting for IndyV..then after that...whatever..

Mickiana

Yes, Harry set the bar high, yes we love him as Indy and maybe someone else can do their own good take on Indy. He won't be Harry, but he might be good. It's all up to GL anyway. Our viewing destiny lies in his hands...

Supernatural

Look at it this way:

Many people consider Connery to be the best Bond, but does that mean we should have stopped Bond after he left? Sure you can say that, but if we had, we wouldn't have Brosnan and Craig.

I just want to point out replacing the original cast of Star trek was considered blasphemy. But it was necessary. The new movie was great.

Do I want to see an Indy movy without Indy? No. But you never know.

Just for the record, I hate reboots. I wouldn't want one. I wouldn't want a remake or a reimagining. It can just fill in the gaps, like the series did.

We still have half of the forties to have fun with nazis after Last Crusade.

Fun with nazis?

Mickiana

I don't care about the use of the term 'reboot'. I don't care what it's called. I just see it as Indiana Jones being able to grace our screens more than if we totally relied upon Harrison making more movies. I am proposing prequels, but that is a pragmatic term. Harrison is the standard and a high one. Does that mean we don't try to emulate him with another? If Harrison himself said he thought it was OK for another younger Indy to be created for future prequels, what would you think then? Or would he be wrong in breaking your orthodoxy? This post is not to anyone in particular. It is for all who oppose the idea of a different actor playing Indiana Jones.

mikieson

Mickiana said:
I don't care about the use of the term 'reboot'. I don't care what it's called. I just see it as Indiana Jones being able to grace our screens more than if we totally relied upon Harrison making more movies. I am proposing prequels, but that is a pragmatic term. Harrison is the standard and a high one. Does that mean we don't try to emulate him with another? If Harrison himself said he thought it was OK for another younger Indy to be created for future prequels, what would you think then? Or would he be wrong in breaking your orthodoxy? This post is not to anyone in particular. It is for all who oppose the idea of a different actor playing Indiana Jones.

OK...find an actor that has the sarcasm down. Has the leading man down. Has the punch first ask questions later style. Someone that has that gritty,get dirty look. Someone that is a ladies man,without looking like a magazine model "twighlight fairy"..Give me someone that captures what Indy is. Someone that IS Indy. They would basically have to be H.F. AND H.F. WOULD have to give his graces in an interview "crowning" the new Indy..

Get all this together..Lets see the guy,hear the guy speak,interact with people...Lets see how he can "woooo" ladies..Everything would have to be spot on in order for my opinion to even start to change.

Raiders90

mikieson said:
OK...find an actor that has the sarcasm down. Has the leading man down. Has the punch first ask questions later style. Someone that has that gritty,get dirty look. Someone that is a ladies man,without looking like a magazine model "twighlight fairy"..Give me someone that captures what Indy is. Someone that IS Indy. They would basically have to be H.F. AND H.F. WOULD have to give his graces in an interview "crowning" the new Indy..

Get all this together..Lets see the guy,hear the guy speak,interact with people...Lets see how he can "woooo" ladies..Everything would have to be spot on in order for my opinion to even start to change.

That's a bit extreme. He has to be Harrison? Dude, Harrison Ford is not the best actor of all time. He's replacable. And Harrison, if he's alive when a reboot is made, probably wouldn't care one way or another about "crowning" a new actor.

And an actor's interactions with people off screen should have no bearing on his "worthiness" to be Indy on screen.

The fact is, Indy has been played by 4 actors as it is: Ford, Phoenix, Flannery and Carrier.

Henry W Jones

Raiders112390 said:
That's a bit extreme. He has to be Harrison? Dude, Harrison Ford is not the best actor of all time. He's replacable. And Harrison, if he's alive when a reboot is made, probably wouldn't care one way or another about "crowning" a new actor.

And an actor's interactions with people off screen should have no bearing on his "worthiness" to be Indy on screen.

The fact is, Indy has been played by 4 actors as it is: Ford, Phoenix, Flannery and Carrier.

Just because 5 people have played him has no bearing. (You forgot about George Hall and I'm sure there are others I'm missing) To me SPF is Henry Defense and not Indiana Jones. I like most of YIJC for what it is but I tend to like the younger years better than the SPF era as far as it feeling like Indiana Jones. The only performance of a young Indy that's worth much is River. He had the mannerizms of Harrison in LC. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Just because Harrison is not the "best actor ever" doesn't change facts that there are nuances that Harrison adds to the role that will be sorely missed if Indy is rebooted with another actor. (The Indy smirk, the delivery of the sarcasm, ect) I can put a whip and a hat on. Does that qualify me to play Indiana Jones?
Though I would be perfect in the role :p

Last edited:

mikieson

Henry W Jones said:
Just because 5 people have played him has no bearing. (You forgot about George Hall and I'm sure there are others I'm missing) To me SPF is Henry Defense and not Indiana Jones. I like most of YIJC for what it is but I tend to like the younger years better than the SPF era as far as it feeling like Indiana Jones. The only performance of a young Indy that's worth much is River. He had the mannerizms of Harrison in LC. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Just because Harrison is not the "best actor ever" doesn't change facts that there are nuances that Harrison adds to the role that will be sorely missed if Indy is rebooted with another actor. (The Indy smirk, the delivery of the sarcasm, ect) I can put a whip and a hat on. Does that qualify me to play Indiana Jones?
Though I would be perfect in the role :p

This pretty much sums up what im trying to convey..And also that reminds me of the part in Jurassic Park where they are going through and looking at how its all done and Eon says.."you were so busying thinking that it could be done, you werent thinking about if it should be done"...OR something to that effect.

YES someone else can play Indy..GO FOR IT..watch it fail..I really have nothing more to say on the subject as Im not getting my ideas across..

mikieson

OH and all the Indy characteristics are not in script...they are in Harrison Ford..HE is what makes Indy...NOT everyone out there has the quality.

Mickiana

I am understanding you guys. I'm just don't agree at all. I have the feeling I am being quite irreverent in my suggestions, in a sea of reverence that is. Yes, the Ford nuances and improvisations are many but not innumerable. Even young River nailed some of them in LC. To be honest, Harrison seems like an ordinary actor really. It wasn't until Raiders that he put a lot of effort in and expanded his emotional range. So obviously he has gone through a learning arc. Above all, a replacement actor will not be trying to be a facsimile of Harrison (as absolutely fantastic Harrison is!), but will capture a core semblance. I also keep in mind that all this is purely rumination and only reflects my personal wishes and may never occur in the real world.

mikieson

Mickiana said:
I am understanding you guys. I'm just don't agree at all. I have the feeling I am being quite irreverent in my suggestions, in a sea of reverence that is. Yes, the Ford nuances and improvisations are many but not innumerable. Even young River nailed some of them in LC. To be honest, Harrison seems like an ordinary actor really. It wasn't until Raiders that he put a lot of effort in and expanded his emotional range. So obviously he has gone through a learning arc. Above all, a replacement actor will not be trying to be a facsimile of Harrison (as absolutely fantastic Harrison is!), but will capture a core semblance. I also keep in mind that all this is purely rumination and only reflects my personal wishes and may never occur in the real world.

Im not sure what River Phoenix did? He was "ok" but honestly we only seen a few minutes of him on screen. Would he have been good? I just cant say..Again, sure, anyone can take a stab at it..Who would you suggest? Just throw out 5 names of those people you think would do it.

And Harrison Ford not a good actor? I beg to differ. I think he does quite well. The best? Thats up to personal opinion and can range from anyone to Robert Patterson to Robert Deniro or Jim Carey..EVERYONE has their own personal favorites..

And you are right..this will probably NOT happen in our life times so really nothing for me to worry about..:)

Mickiana

I did a search on IMDB of male actors 20 - 25 yo between 5'11" - 6'3" in order to see who is who. I don't keep up with popular culture so I don't know who is out there. A list came up with about 840 different guys. Most didn't have a picture with the name, so just looking at the thumbnail pics I clicked on ones that by sight might fit the bill. Don't know anything about acting ability but of course all of the actors' histories are there. Strangely, the first guy on the list seemed like a possibility: Liam Hemsworth. An Australian by birth born 1990. He is 6'3" which is fairly tall but too much so. He seems to be doing well in the US now. I didn't really have anyone in mind for Harry's replacement. I just liked the thought that he will be replaced for some prequel adventures to continue. I didn't mind the thought of Bradley Cooper or Eric Bana as candidates, but they are getting too old for my particular idea of getting someone young enough to grow up with through 4 or 5 movies. So, instead of 5 suggestions, there's one to start with.

Henry W Jones

mikieson said:
Im not sure what River Phoenix did? He was "ok" but honestly we only seen a few minutes of him on screen. Would he have been good? I just cant say..Again, sure, anyone can take a stab at it..Who would you suggest? Just throw out 5 names of those people you think would do it.

And Harrison Ford not a good actor? I beg to differ. I think he does quite well. The best? Thats up to personal opinion and can range from anyone to Robert Patterson to Robert Deniro or Jim Carey..EVERYONE has their own personal favorites..

And you are right..this will probably NOT happen in our life times so really nothing for me to worry about..:)

Watch Rivers facial expressions, listen to his delivery of his lines. "Everyone's lost but me" He even does the smirk. You can tell he worked with and study Fords ways during the filming of Mosquito Coast.