Marion's Accent

Indy's brother said:
raiders+marion+2.jpg

Great Shot!

She's bracing herself...look at the emotional and physical roller coaster she's on. Her adrenaline production must be off the charts! Never noticed an accent, but it did take a long time to decipher Fayah...

Joe Brody

Good observation. I'd say it almost sounds like bad Italian-American -- which would be an interesting wrinkle on the Abner Ravenwood character (especially given the fiasco that was eventually served up as Ravenwood). Maybe Abner married a beautiful women while doing research in Italy?

Raiders90

What happened to Marion's accent?

In Raiders, Marion is presented as having an accent of some sort, at least in a good deal of the scenes. I can't quite explain it, but it isn't exactly an "American" sort of accent, it's kind of exotic and makes her a little sexier...Yet in KOTCS it's gone, replaced by pretty much the same accent that Karen Allen herself has. What happened?

Last edited by a moderator:

indyclone25

i noticed the accent changes in some scenes , but it could be with whom she talking to for a breif time? kinda like carrie fisher did in star wars , in some scenes she had a accent, that was when she was dealing with the empire , and normal voice when she was hamill and ford. maybe she was running lines with john rhys, and kinda g took on his accent? it could happen.

Goodeknight

The Golden Idol said:
I have noticed it. She also has it when she says "This is for Fayah, this is for your children and this is for you... thank you." She never has it besides those moments. What's up with that?

I know from experience living overseas and traveling a bunch that English is often better understood by non-native speakers when it's spoken with the local accent. I believe her accent in those lines is that kind of addition. It's her English with an Arabic accent.

Some people go for speaking very loudly so they'll be understood. What's up with that? Speak slowly and with the local accent and you'll be better understood.

Colonel Corey

Marion does have an accent to me. Remeber her line, "This whole place is slitherin'..."

Does anybody notice her slang in that part?