Do all Indy Fans love "The Mummy" trilogy?

Joosse

I actually quite liked all of them, but I hated the fact that Rachel Weisz backed out of the third one. :mad:

Apart from that, they are all good fun.

kongisking

Joosse said:
I actually quite liked all of them, but I hated the fact that Rachel Weisz backed out of the third one. :mad:

Apart from that, they are all good fun.

Exactly my opinion. Spooky!

Joosse

Montana Smith said:
Saw The Scorpion King today.

There's barely anything positive to say about it.

I never really see the Scorpion King movies as Mummy movies. The Scorpion King in there, even though played by the same actor/wrestler (not a title you bestow everyday), is a completely different character.

The only positive thing I can think up about the movie The Scorpion King, is that it's actually better than The Scorpion King 2.

If you ever have the opportunity to see that one...

don't.

Just don't.

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
The only positive thing I can think up about the movie The Scorpion King, is that it's actually better than The Scorpion King 2.

If you ever have the opportunity to see that one...

don't.

Just don't.

I believe you. I watched most of The Scorpion King at high speed with the subtitles on; and even higher speed during the fight scenes. Kelly's bath scene was the only moment that called for slow motion!

Joosse said:
I never really see the Scorpion King movies as Mummy movies. The Scorpion King in there, even though played by the same actor/wrestler (not a title you bestow everyday), is a completely different character.

The connection was hard to see, even though the makers claimed these events were ten years before the character's flashbacks in Mummy 2.

Sarika

Saw the Scorpian King....was a sad attempt at extending the story line or background to him in a movie...

I thought it should have ended with his part in the Mummy returns.
It was probably a good idea on paper, but a mistake to take it any further than that.

There's a no.2 Scorpian King?
Gee, I must have been :sleep: when that came out...and just as well then.
I believe you Joosse, about that one being undesirable to see.;)

Montana Smith

Sarika said:
Saw the Scorpian King....was a sad attempt at extending the story line or background to him in a movie...

It was probably a good idea on paper, but a mistake to take it any further than that.

It looked like a vehicle made simply to showcase The Rock, and appeal to wrestling fans, and bearing little in common with The Mummy series.

It's an oddity that I've filed in my DVD collection alongside the three Mummy movies, just by association only!

Goonie

Sarika said:

There's a no.2 Scorpian King?
Gee, I must have been :sleep: when that came out...and just as well then.
I believe you Joosse, about that one being undesirable to see.;)

Scorpion King 2 was a straight-to-DVD product. And even though the "2" is in the title, the movie is a prequel to the Rock-helmed movie.

I remember reading somewhere that there were plans for a Scorpion King trilogy with The Rock, with the 3rd movie in the series tying into the events of The Mummy Returns, but it never materialized.

Sarika

Goonie said:
Scorpion King 2 was a straight-to-DVD product. And even though the "2" is in the title, the movie is a prequel to the Rock-helmed movie.

I remember reading somewhere that there were plans for a Scorpion King trilogy with The Rock, with the 3rd movie in the series tying into the events of The Mummy Returns, but it never materialized.

Ahh, well there you go.;)

Then it's a blessing that it didn't turn into a trilogy.

Joosse

Goonie said:

Gee. I wonder how come that never happened?

:rolleyes:

The again, if you see what were really terrible fantasy movies at the time, have now turned in to 'cult classics' there may be some hope for The Rock yet.

Look at Red Sonja for instance...

Who knows, as he was born in the United States, The Rock could actually be president some day... ;)

Major Eaton

I loved the original Mummy(1999). I may get the blu ray soon. I have never seen the sequel or Dragon Emperor. I'd like to get to DE sometime, not because of the movie, but because Maria Bello:)p) is in it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I love the Mummy trilogy. I don't mind Scorpion King, I do detest it's prequel though.

Though, I will say that the tone in the first two and the latest one are really different, but that's not just because of Maria Bello- more because of the fact that it's set in China. Still though, I thought they did a pretty good job.

Le Saboteur

No.

That said, I need to qualify that statement. I really enjoyed the first one, and Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. The Mummy Returns is a prime example of what happens when a studio rushes a sequel to vainly capitalize on the original's success,

To borrow from Ebert's review of Dragon Emperor (that borrows from his original review of The Mummy) "There is hardly a thing I can say in its favor, except that I was cheered by nearly every minute of it. I cannot argue for the script, the direction, the acting or even the mummy, but I can say that I was not bored and sometimes I was unreasonably pleased. There is a little immaturity stuck away in the crannies of even the most judicious of us, and we should treasure it."

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
No.

That said, I need to qualify that statement. I really enjoyed the first one, and Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. The Mummy Returns is a prime example of what happens when a studio rushes a sequel to vainly capitalize on the original's success,

To borrow from Ebert's review of Dragon Emperor (that borrows from his original review of The Mummy) "There is hardly a thing I can say in its favor, except that I was cheered by nearly every minute of it. I cannot argue for the script, the direction, the acting or even the mummy, but I can say that I was not bored and sometimes I was unreasonably pleased. There is a little immaturity stuck away in the crannies of even the most judicious of us, and we should treasure it."

Ebert has an almost scary knack for expressing my exact opinion, and this excerpt counts. I feel just the same way.

AnnieJones

Sarika said:
Just wondering if others here love the Mummy movies as I do?

They posses so much that we appreciate about the Indy movies...:)
Achealology, action packed adventure, 1930's era, humour and wit, villans, hero's, great actors, and great story lines, right???
Do I love the Mummy trilogy? No,only the first two Mummy movies.

DeepSixFix

I saw "The Mummy" in the theater and didn't like it at the time because I wish it had been Indiana Jones.

Later on DVD I came to like it more since there wasn't any new Indiana Jones. I really like the first half--the build up--though once the mummy is walking around in full view and everyone is cracking jokes it loses much of the effect. I like Rick O'Connell, I like his guns. I like the horrifying intro of being mummified alive with flesh-eating beetles. I like a lot of it. I especially like how the mummy is a sympathetic villain--his motivation is only to be with his one true love. He's really not "evil."

(Don't understand how the mummy can see when he stole the eyes of a near-sighted guy, though!)

Sarika said:
Just wondering if others here love the Mummy movies as I do?

They posses so much that we appreciate about the Indy movies...:)
Achealology, action packed adventure, 1930's era, humour and wit, villans, hero's, great actors, and great story lines, right???
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THE MUMMY 1 AND 2(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D :D :D :D :D :hat:

DeepSixFix said:
I saw "The Mummy" in the theater and didn't like it at the time because I wish it had been Indiana Jones.

Later on DVD I came to like it more since there wasn't any new Indiana Jones. I really like the first half--the build up--though once the mummy is walking around in full view and everyone is cracking jokes it loses much of the effect. I like Rick O'Connell, I like his guns. I like the horrifying intro of being mummified alive with flesh-eating beetles. I like a lot of it. I especially like how the mummy is a sympathetic villain--his motivation is only to be with his one true love. He's really not "evil."

(Don't understand how the mummy can see when he stole the eyes of a near-sighted guy, though!)
i THINK IS WAS COOL WHEN IMHOTEP STARTED TO WALK AROUND!...HE'S AN AWESOME BAD GUY!(y)

DeepSixFix said:

AH.....But ..he was going to kill the innocent people for the love....and He wanted to rule the world in the second move.....thats a great bad guy to me!

Willie said:
I also preferred Rachel's portrayal of Evelyn. Her portrayal of the character was both goofy, feminine, sexy and smart at the same time. ;)

Brendan really was outstanding as Rick O'Connell. He delivered in every single film of the trilogy. A classic action hero.

I'm actually hoping there'd be a fourth film with Rachel hopefully reprising the role of Evel
Yea...I like the old Eve better than the new..

Matt deMille said:
The first was one great. A fun, tongue-in-cheek adventure that made fun of itself, like Xena, Army of Darkness, and even Monty Python at times. Witty and even edgy. It's no Indiana Jones, but then, what is?

The second one was a disaster. Rehashed plot and bad CGI, the modern equivalent of the very movies the first film was lampooning.

The "third one"? You mean The Scorpion King or the Tomb of the Dragon Emperor?

See, to me, The Scorpion King was the third film, and a good one. Just a nice period-piece action film.

The Dragon Emperor I didn't bother to see. The Mummy Returns destroyed the franchise for me. The Scorpion King was, at least, a spin-off, and therefore broke free of the downward spiral of this series.
I think the Mummy 1 and 2 were Awesome!...I third one can not compare(y)

Goonie said:
I enjoyed them. Of course they aren't Indy, but what is.:rolleyes:

Surprised no one mentioned The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior.:rolleyes:
I havent seen any of them yet:( ....But I want too!:D

HovitosKing said:
The first Mummy film was good. The second was OK. Everything else was bad.
Yea...1 and 2 where great!...but the third mummy ...Blak! I liked Imhotep!

I think Rick and Indy would make a kick butt team!:whip: :gun:

AnnieJones said:
Do I love the Mummy trilogy? No,only the first two Mummy movies.[ YEA!...same here!.....but I do want to see both Scorpion Kings...I never saw them before....

Le Saboteur said:
No.

I think the first and the second were the best.....its seems like they rushed in the 3rd one.....

Last edited by a moderator: