Computer Nerds Wanted!

JP Jones

Well not exactly nerds, but anybody who knows how to use either iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, or Windows DVD Maker. I've been trying to make a Indy tribute to post on Youtube, but reading tutorials isn't helping one bit.

My problem is that I want clips from the movies, but it seems every tutorial out there tells you how to import videos from your camcorder. All I need is a simple explanation on how to import CLIPS FROM THE ACTUAL FILMS! and like Michael Scott, explain it to me like I'm 8 because I'm pretty aweful with computers. Thanks.:)

JP Jones

O.K. in order to get this thread going I'll start by asking Who has made a Indy tribute or any other video using clips from films? It is pretty simple to just tell me how you did it.(y)

DocWhiskey

If your computer has AV plugs you could hook up a DVD player to it with a 2 way wire (meaning audio video plugs on both sides) and download capture software (I used to use STOIK).

The main thing you need is some sort of capture software. Moviemaker is pretty bare bones. If you download some editing software like Adobe Premiere or Final Cut, they make the process a bit easier. Moviemaker only takes avi's and wmv. I guess Imovie only takes quicktime. But I've only used it a handful of times.

Don't feel stupid if you can't do it. It's supposed to be tricky.Nobody really wants you capturing copyrighted movies in the first place.

Another route is to download any clips you want from youtube and just use those in your tribute.

But beware that a lot of software wants your money to do these tasks. You could operate on a lot of trial software.

I'm sure you'll get some better answers then mine.

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Like Doc said, imovie and Moviemaker are very much bare bones and would be a good idea to use trial versions of Final Cut and Avid (as a former video editor, I personally recommened Final Cut, even the cheaper version, Final Cut Express, which is what one would call a prosumer version of the pro thing).

One way, I could think for the video clips themselves, is if you record the clips you want from your official DVD to a blank DVD in a DVD recorder. From there you can use the files on the burnt DVD in the computer. I used to do that for actor's showreels. You can then download from the net, for free, a video file converter (my fave is mpeg upstream from Squared). So you may then convert the clips into the type of file required by your editing system (imovie or Final Cut Express, would be easier as mov files are more flexible for compression and decompression, AVI in Moviemaker I have found to be a real hassle and always really hard to compress to fit to discs and Youtube).

Some camcorders, have the function to record directly from VHS or DVD player via AV cables, so check your camcorder's instruction manual and website to make sure, as that would probably be the easiest, and then uploading to your computer as normal.

Remember imovie, Moviemaker and DVDmaker are really consumer software, and there'll always be setbacks with certain aspects such as files (sometimes I suspect it's a way of protecting Hollywood and professionals). I found it enough of a challenge with moviemaker and DVDmaker to do what I wanted it to for the family vacation videos, because of my previous knowledge and work with the professional gear, and it just won't bend as far as it could. In the end I had to compensate and I simply can't afford the good stuff.

FedoraHead

Do you want clips from the Indy dvd? I use screen capture program. I have one called Snapz Pro X for Mac. If that is all you need I can capture that scene and send them to you.

JP Jones

Violet Indy said:
Like Doc said, imovie and Moviemaker are very much bare bones and would be a good idea to use trial versions of Final Cut and Avid (as a former video editor, I personally recommened Final Cut, even the cheaper version, Final Cut Express, which is what one would call a prosumer version of the pro thing).
O.K. 2 questions. Is the final cut or avid availible for pc? and Are they availible via free download?

DocWhiskey

JP Jones said:
O.K. 2 questions. Is the final cut or avid availible for pc? and Are they availible via free download?

I know Final Cut is Mac only. Avid is for both. They're not free, but you could get around that *wink* *wink*

But I'll let Violet answer more when she gets the chance. She knows what's really going on here.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^Yeah, considering Doc just answered those questions. I admit, haven't had the chance to use Handbrake. Any good?

JP Jones: Yeah, Final Cut= Mac, Avid= both. You can get an Avid Express program, which is similar in prosumer terms to Final Cut Express. In your first post, I wasn't quite sure which computer system you were wanting to use, so I gave you options for both systems. Free download? I wish! There are sneaky ways around these things, though I didn't really use those ways because I used to have the real thing in front of me at work and at film school. Another alternative is Adobe Premiere Pro for PC, which is getting more and more like Final Cut, in every new version they bring out.

The video file converters however are free downloads and most are trial versions.

Violet Indy said:
^Yeah, considering Doc just answered those questions. I admit, haven't had the chance to use Handbrake. Any good?

JP Jones: Yeah, Final Cut= Mac, Avid= both. You can get an Avid Express program, which is similar in prosumer terms to Final Cut Express. In your first post, I wasn't quite sure which computer system you were wanting to use, so I gave you options for both systems. Free download? I wish! There are sneaky ways around these things, though I didn't really use those ways because I used to have the real thing in front of me at work and at film school. Another alternative is Adobe Premiere Pro for PC, which is getting more and more like Final Cut, in every new version they bring out.

The video file converters however are free downloads and most are trial versions.

I haven't used it myself-- but I've seen it used and it looks pretty intuitive.

I just bought a program, I forget the name. It came in the most recent MacHeist software bundle. It does all that stuff too-- haven't tried it either.

FedoraHead

I have Final Cut Pro but use the easier iMovie. If I just want something done fast and easy, iMovie is the answer for me!

FedoraHead said:
I have Final Cut Pro but use the easier iMovie. If I just want something done fast and easy, iMovie is the answer for me!

I work in the professional suite-- worked in iMovie once years ago. Tried it more recently when someone asked me to help them with it. Never have I seen such an unintuitive mess of a program.

And here's, I think, why.

As someone who makes high-end output and has an education in film, Final Cut offers me what I need when I need it. There's a reason that all pro NLE apps have nearly the same structure-- standardized format makes going between the programs intuitive. The wealth of options means I don't have to fight with the application to do something simple. And iMovie really shot itself in the foot when it did away with the timeline-- THE TIMELINE! It's a standard, THE standard of all NLE applications and they did away with it. That means I now have to rework my basic approach-- I work backwards. It's no longer a subtractive method of editing, it becomes additive. It becomes counter-intuitive of what we're all taught. Fine-tuned edits? Forget about it; the precision is simply gone. By "simplifying" things as far as they have, it actually makes it not as simple to do things that a lot of us who really do a lot of editing take for granted.

Maybe it works for people who don't have experience like myself or Violet, but for the rest of us, it's really a mess.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
ResidentAlien said:
I work in the professional suite-- worked in iMovie once years ago. Tried it more recently when someone asked me to help them with it. Never have I seen such an unintuitive mess of a program.

And here's, I think, why.

As someone who makes high-end output and has an education in film, Final Cut offers me what I need when I need it. There's a reason that all pro NLE apps have nearly the same structure-- standardized format makes going between the programs intuitive. The wealth of options means I don't have to fight with the application to do something simple. And iMovie really shot itself in the foot when it did away with the timeline-- THE TIMELINE! It's a standard, THE standard of all NLE applications and they did away with it. That means I now have to rework my basic approach-- I work backwards. It's no longer a subtractive method of editing, it becomes additive. It becomes counter-intuitive of what we're all taught. Fine-tuned edits? Forget about it; the precision is simply gone. By "simplifying" things as far as they have, it actually makes it not as simple to do things that a lot of us who really do a lot of editing take for granted.

Maybe it works for people who don't have experience like myself or Violet, but for the rest of us, it's really a mess.

I had a similar experience recently with Sony PMB (it's the program that comes with Sony Handicam, 720P version). Sony PMB is both the editing and burn to DVD application for your footage, but there's no timeline, which really sucks! I had to edit my vacation vids from the family holiday in LA, with a reference edit in Moviemaker (that's what's avaliable to me atm), make an EDL manually and then put together again in PMB because I can't see the final product, juxaposition, etc in PMB. DVDmaker struggled with the footage, and the conversions from Moviemaker files to DVDmaker files were always royally huge leading me to the process I just described.

It was such a royal frustration, because I ended up having withdrawal symptoms from Final Cut Pro, which makes more damn sense than any consumer basic versions. PMB doesn't even do transition effects, so I couldn't even do a basic fade in/out (apparently that has to be done in-camera :rolleyes: ) or even fancy titles, or decent customisation of my DVD menus.

Probably with the education/experience, comes knowledge of fantastic possibilities. I guess maybe there is too few consumers or "prosumers" around to gripe about imovie and even PMB's failings. Moviemaker has got some good features for a consumer product, though the main problem I find is exporting and fine tuning.

Dr. Gonzo

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think it can be done for free...
...especially on a PC.

You have to fork over a little dough in almost all cases.

DocWhiskey

Dr. Gonzo said:
I hate to tell you this, but I don't think it can be done for free...
...especially on a PC.

You have to fork over a little dough in almost all cases.

You are correct indeed.

Unless you'd download it illegally. But that's just mean and wrong. The thing is,you'd have to be a pirate to do that and still keep authorities at bay.

Eh... I think you'd actually have a better chance of finding free software for the PC. There's just a lot more people developing for the PC that you should be able to find at least some ShareWare apps to do half the stuff you want. As always, you get what you pay for.

JP Jones

Let me get back to my original question. On Movie Maker when it asks you to import a video clip can the clip be from a movie? If so, how do I do this?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
JP Jones said:
Let me get back to my original question. On Movie Maker when it asks you to import a video clip can the clip be from a movie? If so, how do I do this?

It depends on what kind of file type your video clip is (eg. mpeg4). Some files are acceptable for Moviemaker, whereas others are not, so check your version of Moviemaker for which file type it accepts (That info should be avaliable somewhere in the Help info, or online).

You will find that getting a clip from a movie on a official DVD will not be possible as your computer will not be able to see the video files (they are especially encrypted agained this kind of thing), unless one was a supergenius hacker (which I'm not). I daresay a pirate version might, though I've never personally experimented with it. Which leads me back to what I said originally for creating your video clip file (with the footage you want), that can be accepted by your version of Moviemaker.

Put simply, yes it can be. But you're got to be a bit creative in your video file creation. I would strongly suggest if you have a digital camcorder, that you check if it can record from a DVD player via AV cables, as that would be the quickest, cheapest and not as nasty looking as what I'm about to suggest.

If you really want to be cheap (however it will look cheap and yes nasty, but gets the job done). Get a camcorder, turn off the lights and film your TV playing the clip. I've seen tons of Youtubers do this, to compensate for this same problem you have, without spending the money. From there you can load the clip from your camera to computer then import to Moviemaker.

Otherwise, that's the best I can think up at the moment. Certainly Google and even ask Youtubers who have managed a decent video and have over come this problem, how they did it.

Robyn

JP Jones said:
Well not exactly nerds, but anybody who knows how to use either iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, or Windows DVD Maker. I've been trying to make a Indy tribute to post on Youtube, but reading tutorials isn't helping one bit.

My problem is that I want clips from the movies, but it seems every tutorial out there tells you how to import videos from your camcorder. All I need is a simple explanation on how to import CLIPS FROM THE ACTUAL FILMS! and like Michael Scott, explain it to me like I'm 8 because I'm pretty aweful with computers. Thanks.:)

Use DVD Shrink to rip it to your pc, then it will make a file which will appear to your pc as the actual dvd in a drive. Inside the file the movie will be split into .vob files, convert the .vob files with "Any Video Converter" to .avi files and then movie maker will except them. Hope that helps!

DVD Shrink ---> http://download.softpedia.com/dl/c6...28/software/cd_dvd_tools/dvdshrink32setup.zip

Any Video Converter ---> http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html?tag=mncol