kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Hey Kongisking,

I love Kong. When I was kid, "King Kong"/"Son of Kong" & the Japanese Kongs
would air frequently on TV just before the '76 version came out and I've been
going ape ever since. I have all the Kong movies, most of the rip-offs, a few
commercials and about 4-5 books. Big fan.

As far as Peter Jackson's remake goes, I was very pleased (despite the length
and a few other troublesome bits) however...it *is* only a film and there are
more important things to worry about.

Have you seen the DVD release of the 1933 version in the tin case?
Peter Jackson and WETA re-imagined the missing spider scene by duplicating
the techniques used by Willis O'Brien's & crew! The result is an amazing,
faithful re-creation of the famous lost scene (+more).

Cool to see another Kong fan on an Indy site.
You were looking for other threads?

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...ight=King+Kong

Hello, Stoo! About time someone actually liked Kong on this site. Thanks very much for the extra thread! And yes, I own the Kong 1933 DVD, and I absolutely LOVE Jackson's Spider-Scene Recreation. It was a hoot to watch, and I could have sworn that I saw some of the good ol' O'brian personality in the stop motion. And the remake to me was not just a great adventure film, but a remake that truly loved and respected it's source material. I was very happy with it.

I also own The World of Kong book, and the novelization of the original and remake. I liked the 70's version, but it was a very cheesy film and i missed the dinosaurs. Look forward to talking to you again Stoo!
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #27
PhantomStranger
IndyFan

This is a fun "Kong" site

www.kongisking.net

And just for the record I love the Kong movies. The original, the Asian version and the recent remake. The only one I didn't like was the "76 version
PhantomStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #28
Snakes
IndyFan

I love both the 1933 Kong and 2005 remake. I don't care for the 70s one however, in my opinion it got it all wrong. It did a few things the original Kong director, Merian C. Cooper refused to do in the original, such as make Kong a man in a suit. Kong also walked more like Jack Sparrow than a gorilla. Cooper's biography might make a good read for Indyfans, as he had crazy adventures in Mexico, WW1, and Asia.
Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #29
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
And just for the record I love the Kong movies. The original, the Asian version and the recent remake. The only one I didn't like was the "76 version
The '76 version has become much better with age (whereas "King Kong Lives" is still terrible).

When you say Asian do you meant the '60s movies ("vs. Godzilla" & "Escapes")
or "The Mighty Peking Man" from 1977? TMPM is the Shaw Bros. rip-off of the
'76 Kong. Outrageous fun from start to finish! (If you haven't seen it yet, try and
get a hold of a copy for your bad movie night.)

Last year I bought a beautiful, 2 DVD box of the '76 version that has all the extra
parts that were included on the early network airings. Nice packaging that includes
an 80 page booklet with text & tons of photos/making-of stuff.

Sadly, the only place it's only avaibable is France in PAL format but you can
order it here (if anyone is interested):
http://www.studiocanaldvd.com/fr/pro..._scv_10978.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes
Kong also walked more like Jack Sparrow than a gorilla.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Yes, Cooper had an amazing life!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #30
kongisking
IndyFan

A new KONG film in the works? Hallelujah!!!

What do ya guys think of this news? I actually own the book that this will be based on, and believe me, it is a fantastic sequel, prequel, tragic romance and kick-ass origin story all in one! An awesome book, and a worthy sequel to the original classic. Here's hoping the movie will be as terrific.

Wouldn't it be cool if they actually made this film in black-and-white, with stop-motion animation and all that stuff? A TRUE sequel to the old film? That would make me wet myself with happiness and joy. Sorry, too much info, I know...
Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #31
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
A new KONG film in the works? Hallelujah!!!

What do ya guys think of this news? I actually own the book that this will be based on, and believe me, it is a fantastic sequel, prequel, tragic romance and kick-ass origin story all in one! An awesome book, and a worthy sequel to the original classic. Here's hoping the movie will be as terrific.

Wouldn't it be cool if they actually made this film in black-and-white, with stop-motion animation and all that stuff? A TRUE sequel to the old film? That would make me wet myself with happiness and joy. Sorry, too much info, I know...
Are you serious?!? That is GREAT NEWS! What is the title of the book, kongisking? Is it that 4-part comic book series "Kong, King of Skull Island"?

I found #1-3 in London last year (as well as a vintage UK mini-mag from '76). Other items I picked up since last writing in this thread are the Ubisoft video game and the rip-off "A*P*E*" which I thought would never get an official release.

Officially stoked! Thanks for the news, kongisking!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

I believe it is based on "Kong: King of Skull Island" and I heard some rumblings about it that practicality came out of the blue some time last year, but haven't heard a word of progress on it since.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #33
Insomniac
IndyFan

Haven't seen the original so throw tomatoes at me!
But I can't see why you wouldn't like the new one it has great actors and really captured the depression and and a beautifully portrayed Captain Nemo type character!

And the emotion was there between a live action character and a CG character it didn't fail any expectations!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #34
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Whiskey
I believe it is based on "Kong: King of Skull Island" and I heard some rumblings about it that practicality came out of the blue some time last year, but haven't heard a word of progress on it since.
Quick google search says that it is indeed "Kong: King of Skull Island" but it's not going to be a live action movie. (I had heard that Harryhausen's abandoned "War Eagles" was on the table and the new Kong is being made by the same company.) Here's a link from this past July:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57510

The comic series is based on the book which kongisking wrote about and I didn't even know it existed because after buying the comics they were put on the shelf and I forgot all about them. Each issue has a full page ad stating: "SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE Fantastic Films International". Issue #1 is from Nov. 2007 but the company that now has the rights is Spirit Pictures so I guess that is why you heard rumblings last year and not much else.

The comics (5 issues and not 4 as I thought) are not very good at all but knowing that there's 2 more to go instead of 1 gives me some hope that the story will improve. The book has received some good reviews but I'd rather see the movie first before reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Haven't seen the original so throw tomatoes at me!
...Throwing a whole basketload of rotten BANANAS at you!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #35
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

I was watching some special features or something at a friends house...
the "Peter Jackson King Kong production diaries" to be exact and in one of the episodes they revealed that they indeed were going to film two sequels to Kong... back to back. The first was to be called- KING KONG: Son of Kong, The other was to be called- KING KONG: Into the Wolf's Lair.

They talked about the latter being in world war II and the son of kong fighting Nazi's and mutants that the Nazi's had created. Now that sounded like a horrible idea to me... still does... but I wanted to know if anyone else out there knew about this?

It obviously got scrapped since Jacko has finished the "Lovely Bones" film and is on to something else. What happend to this film? If you don't believe me then go find a copy or some one who has the Peter Jackson production diaries... watch it for yourself... they had the scripts done, Universal had already given them a rather large budget and they had concept art and pre-visualization sequences for both sequels finished!

Im glad they did not happen but...
How did the bottom drop out?
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #36
Stoo
IndyFan

Yes, I have the Production Diaries on the Deluxe Extended Version DVD and *think* that the "King Kong: Into the Wolf's Lair" segment was a very elaborate joke (but I could be wrong). There is a lot of hammy content in the Bonus Features that is played straight & serious. (Ex. the extra "missing" Diary episode where the actors are addicted to watching themselves on the playback monitor, having a group session to discuss their problem, etc.) The Nazi mutant thing is just too crazy to be true, IMO.

Regarding, "Son of Kong", I really hope P.Jackson does this because then we would have 2 Kong movies from every phase. 2 from Cooper/Schoedsack/O'Brein, 2 from Ishiro Honda/Toho Studios, 2 from Guillerman/DeLaurentiis and 2 from Peter Jackson/WETA! That would be sweet...
Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #37
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Thank f*ck it was a damn joke.

http://insomniacmania.com/news_default.php?id=1739

Probably one of the worst film ideas I've ever heard.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #38
Stoo
IndyFan

Checked the link and, yes, NOW I remember that it was an April Fool's joke! The production diary was uploaded on April 1st.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #39
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Yes, I have the Production Diaries on the Deluxe Extended Version DVD and *think* that the "King Kong: Into the Wolf's Lair" segment was a very elaborate joke (but I could be wrong). There is a lot of hammy content in the Bonus Features that is played straight & serious. (Ex. the extra "missing" Diary episode where the actors are addicted to watching themselves on the playback monitor, having a group session to discuss their problem, etc.) The Nazi mutant thing is just too crazy to be true, IMO.

Regarding, "Son of Kong", I really hope P.Jackson does this because then we would have 2 Kong movies from every phase. 2 from Cooper/Schoedsack/O'Brein, 2 from Ishiro Honda/Toho Studios, 2 from Guillerman/DeLaurentiis and 2 from Peter Jackson/WETA! That would be sweet...

Indeed! I actually think this concept would make for a terrific pulp-styled adventure sci-fi B-movie...just like KOTCS! Shame it was only a joke though, because at the very least I hoped Jackson would do a genuine remake of Son of Kong. Stoo, if you research that film, you'll discover that Copper originally had a much bigger, better epic-scaled sequel in mind, before RKO made the choice to rush SON into production for a Christmas release, in order to cash in on the first Kong's still-strong appeal! Damn stupid movie studio bureaucracy and greed!

And yes, the book I was talking about was Kong: King of Skull Island. Fantastic book! Would be a awe-inspiring film for the ages!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #40
Stoo
IndyFan

Hi, kongisking. Yes, I read about the bigger & more ambitious "Song of Kong" in the book, "King Kong - From Fay Wray to Peter Jackson". Amazing book. What a cryin' shame that was never realized.

Speaking of books, there was one I saw in a store and didn't buy it (for reasons I don't recall) and I really regret it because now I don't remember the title! It was a small paperback that had LOADS of photos of test shots, outakes, etc. including many more shots of the legendary missing spider scene that I had never, ever seen before (for years there was only *1*). Would you happen to know of this book?

While searching for it on the 'net, I stumbled across this one. "King Kong: The Island of the Skull":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416516697

It's another novel from 2005. Apparently it's a prequel () to "King Kong". Have you read this?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Just wanted to add that I'm aware "King of Skull Island" is a sequel AND a prequel but "Island of the Skull" is supposed to be a prequel that features both Carl Denham and Ann Darrow. How the heck does that work?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #42
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Hi, kongisking. Yes, I read about the bigger & more ambitious "Song of Kong" in the book, "King Kong - From Fay Wray to Peter Jackson". Amazing book. What a cryin' shame that was never realized.

Indeed, it is... God, I love Ray Morton! Such a godsend. And I'm glad you realize the tragedy of this lost concept!

[/quote]Speaking of books, there was one I saw in a store and didn't buy it (for reasons I don't recall) and I really regret it because now I don't remember the title! It was a small paperback that had LOADS of photos of test shots, outakes, etc. including many more shots of the legendary missing spider scene that I had never, ever seen before (for years there was only *1*). Would you happen to know of this book?[/quote]

*shrug* I don't really know what you're talking about. I need more information to jog my memory. Sorry!

[/quote]While searching for it on the 'net, I stumbled across this one. "King Kong: The Island of the Skull":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416516697

It's another novel from 2005. Apparently it's a prequel () to "King Kong". Have you read this?[/quote]

Oh, yeah! I remember seeing this once, but I unfortunately did not buy it then and there, as I have now been unable to find it since DAMN!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #43
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Oh, yeah! I remember seeing this once, but I unfortunately did not buy it then and there, as I have now been unable to find it since DAMN!!!
The first few pages are available to read on the Amazon website but the premise seems absurd, IMO.

As for the pocket book with the amazing photos...guess I'll have to keep searching but will give a "heads up" if I find it!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #44
kongisking
IndyFan

Always incredibly weird reading these old threads of mine, and seeing how insanely sugar-high I was when posting. Probably gonna be impossible to shake the childish hyperactive rep I gave myself in those days...

But never mind. You all thought I'd stopped gushing about my beloved Kong? Nope. Re watched Jackson's film the past weekend, since it had been a while, and it's still a great thrill ride with a heart.

I'm definitely more aware of the flaws, such as the pointless Jimmy/Hayes subplot (screen-time which, if anything, needed to be given to Jack and Anne's romance), some more goofy, cartoony action moments (Jimmy miraculously shooting all the wetas off of Jack without hitting him once. Screw the nuked fridge, THAT's crazy!) and a general issue with indulgence...but I still love the passion Jackson threw into this thing. This is his 'thank you' to the classic movie, and as a Kong fan myself, its like a huge bursting-at-the-seams birthday present. Great movie, even nine years later.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #45
EddyW
IndyFan

I love it too! Somehow I can reason that it's not really that great, but it hits me in the heart everytime I watch it, despite it's flaws. The directors cut is a big improvement for me though. The Piranhadon sequence is my favorite of all the creature scenes. The stampede probably the weakest. But still, I love this flick.
EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #46
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyW
I love it too! Somehow I can reason that it's not really that great, but it hits me in the heart everytime I watch it, despite it's flaws. The directors cut is a big improvement for me though. The Piranhadon sequence is my favorite of all the creature scenes. The stampede probably the weakest. But still, I love this flick.

The stampede suffers from some obvious green-screen work, but I love the concept of it, and its still pretty exciting in any case. And the Piranhadon scene is great too---awesome Jawsian moments in there. Though, that too has some effects issues: the dry-for-wet technique does NOT look good in that one.

Honestly, I'd hoped the Extended Edition would restore some of the major character-based subplots in addition to cut setpieces, as then, it would truly justify a extended cut (we get, what, ten or so extra minutes of footage, all of it basically action scenes?). What made the LOTR EE's so incredible was the wealth of new character stuff that just enriched the drama of the story being told. Pity Kong's EE didn't go for that. Oh well...

While this thread's actually alive again, I'll share a video I made after re-watching it. Hope you all like it:

Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #47
kongisking
IndyFan

Well, I'll be shat...
Old 07-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #48
HenryJunior
IndyFan

We already got this one done right, TWO TIMES in fact!
and then there's one with Jeff Bridges....

1.) Absolutely nothing is sacred.
2.) When did Universal give away the rights to Legendary?!?!
3.) GET READY FOR THIS:

Which would ALMOST be cool except they're gonna make us run another lap through an origin story movie...
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #49
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryJunior

Which would ALMOST be cool except they're gonna make us run another lap through an origin story movie...

Um...the announcement seemed to be for an original story more centered around Skull Island itself. For all we know, its not connected to Jackson's movie, but I won't be shocked if it does take some influence from his remake. I'm just blown that this is even a thing. Total surprise from Comic-Con.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 AM   #50
HenryJunior
IndyFan

From the press releases it appears Skull Island is supposed to be a part of the larger world of the new Godzilla.

King Kong is just gonna be some heavy in the new zilla-verse. thanks.

What the movies look like right now:

Godzilla 2 with all of it's monsters Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidora (i don't know why we couldn't get that in the first place, now it just seems like over-kill )

"Skull Island" who knows exactly what that will entail yet, but it sounds like a movie made out of the Kong versus Dinos scenes from Jackson's version. Idk how much of a rehash they're aiming for, but I would almost guarantee it's leading to a cross-over of Avengers proportions.

See, Marvel/Disney made bank with The Avengers, and now everyone else is playing catch up so that they can get a piece of the over-bloated action.
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote