User Name
Password

Old 11-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #76
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Closed captioning isn't flawless...

That's true. I often put subtitles on when watching American movies, as sometimes it sounds like the actors are mumbling in a foreign tongue.

So I've noticed that the typers of the captions often invent their own dialogue. I don't know if they think they're improving a movie for the hard of hearing or just lessening the amount they have to type and display on screen.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #77
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
That's true. I often put subtitles on when watching American movies, as sometimes it sounds like the actors are mumbling in a foreign tongue.

So I've noticed that the typers of the captions often invent their own dialogue. I don't know if they think they're improving a movie for the hard of hearing or just lessening the amount they have to type and display on screen.

I finally remembered the one I caught the other day...

The line was friend or "foe", which was typed "faux"!

Deaf people really get screwed!

For the most part repetitive dialog is trimmed.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #78
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Ok,I just got done reading a message from an online Arabic speaking friend of mine,who I recently sent a message to,about this word(I don't know why I didn't think of doing that earlier.Duh,stupid me).
The translation this friend gave me was meshiver which is Arabic for "He is traveling." Or another spelling is mesafier which is Arabic for "Person will travel" or "He will travel."

Meshiver means "He is traveling."
Mesafier means "Person will travel" or "He will travel."
Ana mesafiera (if a girl is talking about herself) means "I'm traveling."
Ana mesafier (if a boy is talking about himself) means "I'm traveling."
Ana means "I'm."
Mesafier means "traveling."

That can't be it.That doesn't make any sense.We can rule that translation out.So obviously the subtitles were wrong on that spelling.

I got some assistance from someone from C.O.W. and the Hebrew word mishivah,also spelled mem shin bet ayin heh,is translated as "of seven" or "from seven."
The Hebrew translation doesn't make much sense either.We can rule that out also.

Mess in Arabic is "foda" or "karkba".So,we can rule out the translation being "mess."
Foda (mess) refers to corrupt or unfair elections.Foda is a formal word and it can be written in Arabic.
Karkba (mess) refers to the need to clean up.Karkba is an informal Arabic word used among friends or people you know very well and it's not acceptable to write.

4. - I think I found it!
Another Arabic word that sounds similar to the word meshiver is the word meshifer which translates as "code." What he was probably saying was "straighten up this meshifer (code)" not "straighten up this meshiver (he is traveling)." He was in an unorganized library and every library has a code that keeps the books organized properly.Meshifer,that's the translation that makes the most sense.
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #79
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieJones
4. - I think I found it!
Another Arabic word that sounds similar to the word meshiver is the word meshifer which translates as "code." What he was probably saying was "straighten up this meshifer (code)" not "straighten up this meshiver (he is traveling)." He was in an unorganized library and every library has a code that keeps the books organized properly.Meshifer,that's the translation that makes the most sense.

When you wrote 'code' it made me think of Polari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari

In this Polari dictionary the word 'Meshigener' which means 'madness' which would be very apt for "straighten up this madness".

http://www.larkrisewebservices.co.uk/pdict.php?letter=M
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #80
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Thatís pretty good, but why would a forty-something, Egyptian museum curator like Terence be using Polari words? Possible though...

What does the novelization read?
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #81
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Detritch
Thatís pretty good, but why would a forty-something, Egyptian museum curator like Terence be using Polari words? Possible though...

It is a stretch, unless there was some unspoken sub-text going on.

There's always the chance that the word was invented, or included without checking.

This screenplay uses the word "mess" instead of "meshiver":

http://sfy.ru/?script=mummy_1999

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/mummy.txt
Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #82
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
There's always the chance that the word was invented, or included without checking.
I can see where that's a possibility,but it seems in these scripts that there were too many words changed to something else.Are these fans interpretations of the script or the actual script?If these are pre-versions of the final script,it may have been edited more before it was used for the movie.

Both these scripts say this:

CURATOR

Who needs smart women? I put up with you because
your mother and father were our finest patrons,
Allah rest their souls. Now straighten up this mess!

CURATOR

Look at this! Sons of the Messiah! Give
me frogs, flies, locusts, Anything but this!
Compared to you, the other plagues were a joy!

This line on both(of the links you posted)is different compared to the line in the movie.It should have been,"Sons of the Pharaohs!"
It wouldn't make sense that he would say "Sons of the Messiah" one minute then say "Allah rest their souls" the next.

Also,if these are pre-versions of the final script that was used in the movie,it would seem that some of the words were changed to better fit the movie's situations.Such as "Messiah" to "Pharaohs" and "mess" to "meshifer." "Pharaohs" because he's the curator of a museum and "meshifer" because it's an Arabic word and fits with the conversation perfectly.

For example,she said,"Well,I am the only person within a thousand miles who knows how to properly code and catalog this library,that's why." Then to end the conversation,he said,"straighten up this meshifer (code)." It seems like it makes perfect sense.

Last edited by AnnieJones : 12-03-2010 at 01:36 AM.
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #83
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I can see where that's a possibility,but it seems in these scripts that there were too many words changed to something else.Are these fans interpretations of the script or the actual script?If these are pre-versions of the final script,it may have been edited more before it was used for the movie.

I couldn't work out whether they were official scripts or not. And I couldn't find one with the word "meshiver" in it.

Quote:
For example,she said,"Well,I am the only person within a thousand miles who knows how to properly code and catalog this library,that's why." Then to end the conversation,he said,"straighten up this meshifer (code)." It seems like it makes perfect sense.

It does make good sense, with her direct reference to "code". It plays as a pun on "mess", which is the word most people seem to use when (mis-?)quoting this scene. If it is a pun (meshiver sounding like an elongated mess, and also referring back to the library code), it's quite a lame line, considering Bey was enraged at the time. I see it like a scriptwriter's in-joke, which will fly over the heads of most viewers.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #84
Attila the Professor

Ancient thread, mostly occupied by folks who are non-regulars, but couldn't the line be "straighten up this mess, Eva"?
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #85
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Ancient thread, mostly occupied by folks who are non-regulars, but couldn't the line be "straighten up this mess, Eva"?

I'll play.

Of interest: Why is a Turk potentially using Yiddish? I have to assume Dr. Terrence Bey is of Turkish origin because of the tarboosh and that Bey isn't a last name; it's an honorific ascribed to Turkish rulers and chieftains. Today it can be equated with "mister." Of course, he could also be an Antiochian Greek Christian who're native to Northern Syria and Southern Turkey around the southern province of Hatay, but that's an entirely different conversation.

To the question posed: The word you're looking for is mishegas which means craziness or insanity. None of the other explanations offered make much sense. You could also use meshuga, but that's a variant spelling, but closer to the possible mis-pronunciation.

Otherwise, if you don't own the blu-ray of this yet then go pick it up. The image and sound quality are topnotch. This is reference level quality; the kind of stuff you play to show your friends the potential of the medium. A nice steelbook of all three seperate releases came out a few years back that should be available for pocket change at your finer retail locations.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote