michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
So has anyone tried out the beta yet?
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #302
Ska
IndyFan

Thought about taking advantage of the free 30 day PSN+ thing to dl this early, but my weekend is pretty busy. Won't have much time to play until next week anyway, so I think I'm gonna wait.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #303
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

dl what early?
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #304
Ska
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
dl what early?

The Multiplayer beta. Only available to PSN+ users last week. Starting today it's available to the rest of the PS3 users.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #305
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Gotcha. I downloaded it the other day it's pretty good but a bit glitchy well for me at least. I would of prefered a single player demo
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #306
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
So has anyone tried out the beta yet?

I did. But you probably already knew that. I'll put together a more extensive write up later, but the Beta was quite obviously a beta. The core mechanics were in place, and with some extensive refinement it should be an exceptional outing for the more casual player and the Hardcore. So long as "Hardcore" includes more than just Team Deathmatch of course.

The two things that are most noticeably absent thus far: bunny hopping and "strafing." You remember -- the other player seems to vibrate in place and your bullets magically miss him. Yeah, that. It's gone. Or at least nobody learned how to exploit those aspects of the game yet.

It definitely plays a lot better than Among Thieves. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

I made it up to Level 32 during the three weeks before being one of those who was reset all the way back to Level 1, then fought back to Level 13 by the Beta's end.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #307
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

I want Josh Scherr's t-shirt. I think. Check out the entire uncut panel from San Diego Comic Con with the core cast, and three of the team from Naughty Dog.

More to come.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #308
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Initially I was keeping track of all the new medals to pop up in the Beta, but I shortly figured out that they're already listed in one of the sub-menus. As were the requirements to earn them.

Medals abound this time around, with specific ones for each game mode. My two favourties -- Drop It & No Cigar -- return, but these were some of the ones I earned during the course of the Beta.

Executioner - Kill a VIP on a power play.

Guard Duty - Protect the VIP during a power play.

Dangerous - Kill every member of the other team once.

Strike Three - Go on a 3 Kill streak.

Death From Above - Kill enemy with falling kill.

Hail Mary - Get a grenade kill from 50m away.

Lucky - Survive two grenade explosions.

Pull! - Kill an airborne enemy.

Yippie-Kai-Yay! - Get a kill while on a zip line.

The Redcoats are Here - Kill a player with Militia Man active.

You can view a complete list here. While some are doubtlessly going to go away, there seem to be medals for just about every cool thing you can do this time around.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #309
Ska
IndyFan

I suck so much at this game online. To the point I don't even have the urge to play it.

It all moves too fast for me to aim/keep up.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #310
michael
IndyFan

Le Saboteur,

I absolutely loved the beta, had a blast with it.

The map, Yemen, was just incredible. Also fell in love with the Treasures/Rewards system. I see a treasure drop, I'm determined to grab it. Buddy System is also really, really fun. The high-fives are awesome.

A couple things that NEED to be changed.

AK-47 blindfire needs to be reduced. There needs to be SOME skill involved, you didn't even have to press L1 and could put up ridiculous ratios.

Invite system/partying needs to be like UC2. I'm confident that it will be. Betas are betas of course.

A personal want of mine:

A bit more customization with the emblems. The ability to move some of designs around or even more layers.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #311
trentprager
IndyFan

TEST FOOTAGE SHOT AND UPLOADED!

Uncharted: Drake's Legacy TEST FOOTAGE

Full 1080p resolution, one of the many locations we have, and just a glimpse at Nate in (almost) full gear.

We're up to $225, but we need more! Thanks guys!
trentprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #312
WitAndAWhip
IndyFan

The official E3 trailer has me stoked. The desert locales look phenomenal and the story looks like it's gonna be full of fun surprises. Did anybody catch the brief clip of Nate riding a horse through a canyon?! Hope that's a playable part of the game... Glad to see Chloe's back too.

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a video game release before.

11-1-11 can't get here soon enough.
WitAndAWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #313
michael
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitAndAWhip
Did anybody catch the brief clip of Nate riding a horse through a canyon?
If Drake's Fortune can have a jet-ski level, I see no reason why there can't be a horseback riding level. It looks like it could be incredible.

I know they mentioned some sort of promotion with Subway in October where you will have FULL access to the MULTIPLAYER portion and everything will transfer over when you get the official game.

Details have not been announced, so I wouldn't delete your beta if this is something that interests you.

Promotion with companies like this is usually pretty lame, but I can see why they are doing it. People can get a head start on Multiplayer so when the game comes out, people don't put off the BEST aspect of the game, the single player. They won't feel the need to ignore it to catch up with all the people that are leveling up in the game.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #314
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
I suck so much at this game online. To the point I don't even have the urge to play it.

It all moves too fast for me to aim/keep up.

I was never great at Among Thieves' on-line component. (Michael says I did pretty well.)

While it wasn't a blatant cheat-fest, far too many players exploited the game's design flaws to make it enjoyable for very long;i.e., getting killed from all the way across the map by a pistol. Yes, a pistol. I grew bored after a couple of months. Especially when it became pretty obvious that everybody was using the same three or four "boosters." As a purist, this put me at an immediate disadvantage.

In the end, Among Thieves' multi-player component became what I hate about online gaming -- the strength of your internet connection multiplied by who saw who first determines the winner.

With that said, the online component for Drake's Deception is shaping up to be interesting. For example, each map plays differently. You'll have to adjust your play style depending on the map. What seem like obvious power points (see the towers on the Yemen map), quite often aren't. Where a good team could hold that point in Among Thieves, they can now be flanked and/or out maneuvered if you're paying attention.

It still moves fast, but with my "ambush predator" style of play, I never felt like I was unable to compete unless I momentarily forgot myself and tried to engage in a shootout with my G-MAL against a fully automatic AK-47! During the Beta I was unable to get a couple of Connect 4's, and one Five Not Alive. Something I was never able to do in Among Thieves. If they can maintain that delicate balance, it might be enough to entice me to stick around this time.

Quote:
The map, Yemen, was just incredible. Also fell in love with the Treasures/Rewards system. I see a treasure drop, I'm determined to grab it. Buddy System is also really, really fun. The high-fives are awesome.

Yemen was a blast on Plunder. The amount of chaos that could happen around the two chests (the Villains especially) was intense. I didn't care for it though on TDM, but my opinion is biased because I don't like Deathmatch. Despite the obviousness of the towers, nearly everybody hung out in them during the entire match.

I'm definitely impressed by the Treasures/Reward system. When I was reset, I most bothered by the loss of my treasures. I was nearly finished completing all the sets, but couldn't remember the last few I needed! In the final game, I hope it's used for more than just unlocking new bits of clothing.

Quote:
AK-47 blindfire needs to be reduced. There needs to be SOME skill involved, you didn't even have to press L1 and could put up ridiculous ratios.

I've never used the AK-47 so I can't personally comment, but all the kvetching about it didn't go unnoticed. I used to get Spray n' Pray medals all the time in Among Thieves, but I don't think I earned a single one during the Beta. The G-MAL obviously isn't worth the dickens, and the Auto Pistol never seemed to do much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitAndAWhip
Glad to see Chloe's back too.

I second that notion!

In the early days of this thread I mentioned that Naughty Dog would be releasing a series of vinyl Nathan Drake figurines. Days turned into months and they never saw the light of day. I imagine that they gradually were forgotten about by everybody until the other day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC Toys
Uncharted 3 Drake Vinyl figure Pre-Orders!

Finally the Uncharted 3 Drake vinyl figures are now available for pre-orders. The 7" figure will be a combination of vinyl and PVC materials with minor articulation. Each figure will be packaged in blister tray with window box.

The following is available for Pre-orders-"OG" colorway standard edition and "Naughty Dog" colorway limited to 500pcs. You can pre-order the figures here at the ESC-Shop. Estimated delivery will be mid October 2011. All collectibles are for ages 15 & UP! Contains small parts! Choking Hazard!

Bonus offer-DLC content for Uncharted 3 PS3 game!

Included with each figure will be a unique serial code exclusive DLC content for Uncharted 3 PS3 game. You do not want to miss this!!!.

Instead of four variants, they've gone ahead with production on two. The standard color scheme and "Naughty Dog" colorway. I've ordered mine. Follow this link for details, and this link to place your order.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #315
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

If you haven't already noticed, Eurogamer has a slew of new screens up from what appear to be multi-player maps. For ease of viewing, I've sampled a few of the smaller resolution snaps here. Please follow the link for larger, high-res images.

But even in these the detail is astounding.

This first couple of images are of a desert-themed map, with what looks like a sandstorm coming in! If true, this looks like the follow-up to the "Trainwreck" map from Among Thieves.

And while it was never played by me, this looks a lot like "The Highrise." Except that it's been re-themed to fit the new desert setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Sabotuer
If I know Amy, the next game will take place in the desert. It's how they arrived at snow for Among Thieves -- what's the opposite of the jungle? The problem I see, however, is how are you going to feature the traversal exploration & combat that's become the hallmark of the series? The desert is horizontal, not vertical. It'll be difficult, but it can be done. I'd look into a different desert setting, maybe further up The Levant.

I wrote that back in May. The last line seems rather prescient if you ask me.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #316
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Please pardon the double post. The previous one was getting fairly long.

Gamescom trailer is up!

It's good to see they're making good on their Drake's Fortune postmortem and including a level that show's Drake & Elena getting to the plane instead of just arriving.

There's a full-length clip of the level over here. Click the link. I'd rather not embed it in order to keep the temptation to spoil yourself to a minimum.

In any medium, Indy has a lot of ground to make up. Time and poor decision making have relegated him to an also ran.

UK players should also rejoice. They've finally announced the contents of the UK's Explorer Edition!

Check out the page at Gamestop UK for all the details! While I dig the antique-style carrying case -- it holds 19(!) games -- I think I prefer the Arab-style Travel Chest the U.S. is getting.

Though, I do like the UK's actual game case better.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #317
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Meyer
Well, we’ve managed to steal, er, borrow, a production sample of the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Collector’s Edition. We had a little help from our friend Nolan North, otherwise known as Nathan Drake in the UNCHARTED games. Nolan stopped by the Naughty Dog studio with our ill-gotten sample of the Collector’s Edition and we couldn’t resist to shoot an unboxing video to give our fans a good look at what actually comes inside the awesome looking traveling case.

Click on Nolan North's cat that ate the canary grin for the full blog post on the Playstation blog. I've also embedded the video below for those that hate to follow links.

If you're in the Pacific Northwest (like, say, Seattle) this weekend be sure to stop in at the PAX convention. Naughty Dog will be demoing Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and handing out this nifty looking t-shirt.

The full-court press continues! Announced at the SDCC in July, Naughty Dog & DC Comics have teamed up to release an Uncharted comic book! Joshua Williamson will be handling the writing duties, and will be paired up with penciller Sergio Sandoval. Adam Hughes & Francesco Villanueva will be on hand to do some covers.

Stop in at Newsarama for a full interview with Mr. Williamson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Williamson
In our story, Drake discovers that the legendary Amber Room was hidden by another great explorer, Sir Richard Byrd. The story is that many, many years ago, Byrd hid the Amber Room in the fabled Agartha in the Hollow Earth.

Drake competes with a pair of rich snobs to find clues that will lead them on a journey to the center of the earth and... you know what? I’ll just stop there. I don’t want to give away too much and ruin it for the reader.

More to come! Especially on the portable entry, Golden Abyss.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #318
crauky
IndyFan

wow, that comic book cover is awesome!
i guess Uncharted is the closest were gonna get to another Indy
crauky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #319
michael
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
I've never used the AK-47 so I can't personally comment, but all the kvetching about it didn't go unnoticed. I used to get Spray n' Pray medals all the time in Among Thieves, but I don't think I earned a single one during the Beta. The G-MAL obviously isn't worth the dickens, and the Auto Pistol never seemed to do much for me.

In all of the games I've played in UC2, I have barely over 50 'Spray n' Pray' medals, in about 20 matches of the beta, I had well over 50. But I'm confident they realize the issue. Here's to betas.

And as for the Highrise, I'm glad they are bringing it back, I like to think that since that map came out sort of late in UC2's lifespan, they didn't want it to go waste. It's one of the most unique multiplayer maps I've ever played, love it.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #320
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crauky
i guess Uncharted is the closest were gonna get to another Indy

Sadly, I think you're right. Actually, no, it's not sad. I'm rather ecstatic that there's a worthy successor to the Indiana Jones name out there. The only sad thing is that it's in a medium that won't ever get the widest audience.

One can only hope that this recent push by Sony & Naughty Dog will garner a few more fans. Fingers crossed.

When the sub-title and art for Uncharted: Golden Abyss was initially released I suspected that they (Naughty Dog & Bend Studios) would be picking up where the Eye of Indra motion comic left off. If not that, then bookend-ing the events of the comic. Why? Well...

As you can see the background graphics are fairly similar. The initial screenshots, however, told a different story, one that's backed up by the first official story trailer released at Gamescom a couple weeks back.

No, it looks like the jungles of South America are once again on display. Other screenshots and videos help to narrow down the location to a combination of Panama & Colombia. Or one or the other. This screen here is from the initial tech demo on display at E3(?), and once a relief of this image is produced, it gets filed under "The Secrets of the Kuna."

Who are the Kuna? Some basic research indicates that they're an indigenous tribe that resided in present-day Colombia and the Darien Gap region of Panama at the time of the Conquistadores. They gradually moved West, ending up on the Caribbean coast of Panama and the islands just off the coast, known as the San Blas islands.

This makes sense given the relative location of the island in the first game, and that Sir Francis was buried at sea on the Caribbean side near Portobello.

Of note: the Kuna originally painted elaborate designs on their bodies, eventually carrying on that tradition through the development of molas after prolonged exposure to Christian missionaries. These molas are brightly colored, intricately patterned blouses favored by Kuna women.

The Kuna also have the highest percentage of albinism of any people in the world.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #321
WitAndAWhip
IndyFan

The new desert MP locale looks stunning. I love the idea of playing in a sandstorm if thats what it turns out to be. The Train Wreck is probably my favorite MP map from UC2, largely b/c of the lack of visibility.

I just preordered the Collector's Edition tho I'm a little dissapointed we're not getting the same one as Europe. Still, it'll be worth it. Can't believe how close we're getting.
WitAndAWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #322
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Just a couple of minor updates this time out. Apparently unsatisfied with the five-odd million games Among Thieves sold, Sony & Naughty Dog continue to branch out into other mediums to advertise. First up, the Subway Taste For Adventure Sweepstakes!

A forward thinking member of the official Naughty Dog forum had the idea to email Subway about the upcoming promo, and here's what he got in reply.

Quote:
The SUBWAY® Taste For Adventure Sweepstakes & Instant Win Game starts 9/29/11 at 12:00 P.M., ET and ends 11/13/11 at 11:59:59 P.M., ET. Below is a brief description of the GWP (Gifts With Purchase) access.

GWP Cup Code Description – (while supplies last)

*Cup Code Entry & Redemption Prior to 11/1/11: Voucher Passcode for early Access to the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Competitive Multiplayer Experience or choice of Voucher Passcode described below.
*Cup Code Entry After 10/31/11: Voucher Passcode allowing you to play DCUO on your PC at the Premium Level Free for 7 consecutive days, as more fully described above or choice of Voucher Passcode described below.

GWP Sandwich or Chip Code Description – (while supplies last)

*Voucher Passcode for an UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ dynamic theme
*Voucher Passcode for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Fortune Hunter Bounty
*Voucher Passcode for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Multiplayer Drake Character Skin
*Voucher Passcode for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Multiplayer Weapon Skin
*Voucher Passcode for SUBWAY® Taste For Adventure Cup and SUBWAY® Sandwich virtual costumes for PlayStation® Home

Please be aware that in the event you are the Recipient of one (1) of
The Gifts, the use of this Gift requires a PS3™ system AND a valid PlayStation® Network account.

Naughty Dog & Sony have yet to confirm or deny these details, but the post has been up for a few days now and it hasn't been stricken from the forum yet. I'm inclined to think it's legitimate, but time will tell.

Another exclusive has been officially announced for Gamestop customers. This time around, they're adding an exclusive Penny Arcade-style poster to everybody who pre-orders the standard or collector's edition.

Japan is getting an exclusive Uncharted 3 branded controller. Nothing to be overly sad about here; the design is less than interesting in my opinion. I expected better.

Some bloggers have expressed the opinion that it belongs in a Lord of the Rings game over the Uncharted series. I agree to a large extent, but it's the two-tone approach that really detracts from the design.

Game Trailers TV stopped in at Naughty Dog's Santa Monica headquarters last Friday to have a chat with Nathan Drake himself, Nolan North. Skip ahead about ten minutes to get the Nolan North interview.

You can also check out the first tv spot below.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #323
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

For those of you who still follow this thread, I hope you're enjoying yourselves. By now, you're familiar with Amy Hennig, Naughty Dog's Creative Director. She recently sat down for a few minutes with the folks at Qore to talk about her path into the gaming industry plus a bit on Drake's Deception.

Very minimal spoilers here. It's mostly recycled footage from Among Thieves, and stuff we've already seen from Drake's Deception. There is one interesting item, but it goes by fairly quickly. And, no, I won't tell you where it is.

The most important take away from this video for me is something we've discussed before -- the action-adventure genre is critically under served in the gaming arena despite being the next logical home for it. Tomb Raider made a splash and coasted through a decade of mediocre titles before being forced to revamp itself. Our beloved Dr. Jones, on the other hand, has suffered from spectacularly poor management combined with neglect making him an also ran in the genre he's become synonymous with for thirty years now.

In essence, Naughty Dog had to blaze the trail Lucas Arts couldn't be bothered to do.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #324
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
For those of you who still follow this thread, I hope you're enjoying yourselves.

Of course I still follow this thread. I enjoy every update you post regarding the Uncharted series. Just know that some of us do read this thread every time it's updated!
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #325
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Of course I still follow this thread. I enjoy every update you post regarding the Uncharted series. Just know that some of us do read this thread every time it's updated!

Even though it feels like I'm talking to a wall, that's good to know.

For those in the Commonwealth countries who are going to get the Explorer's Edition, Playstation Australia has just released a video. While not nearly as amusing as the North American release with Nolan North, it certainly beats nothing.

After two games and nil in the way of merchandise, it seems that Sony & Naughty Dog really are trying to hit all markets. On the heels of the Eric Scarecrow vinyl figures and the Sideshow Collectibles statue, comes this figure by Square-Enix's toy division, Play Arts-Kai.

Mezco Toyz
is also getting in on the act with this statue(?) based on the game's cover art.

The Play Arts-Kai figurine is where it's at in my opinion! Also out there (and available from Amazon and other on-line retailers) are these Uncharted minimates. The two pack features Nathan Drake and Chloe Frazer in their Among Thieves garb. Just don't ask me what a minimate is for or why the exist.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 09-15-2011 at 07:43 AM.