TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #51
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Yowza! Thanks for the tip!

That's a new recording done for this compilation (or perhaps a previous one, and repurposed here) and not the original track recorded for the show, but it's great that it's available in any performance at all. I see that it's available from the iTunes Store, at least (with track titling in German), and perhaps from other download services.

Last edited by Crack that whip : 11-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #52
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
FYI, I've ordered a used copy of the "Young Indy - Satellite 1" CD from the UK. I'll share the juicy details if and when it arrives.

I checked my mailbox at work as I was walking out the door and the Satellite 1 - Young Indy CD had arrived. I went back to my desk, ripped it, and plopped it on my mp3 player for the walk home.

O... M... F... G....

I spent the next 20 minutes walking the streets of San Francisco with a sh*t eating grin on my face, barely containing giggles, trying not to burst into laughter. (Not that anyone would notice and/or care - it is SF...)

Satellite 1 is a TV station in Germany - I'm going to speculate that the CD was released as a promotional item when they were airing Young Indy in 1993.

All four tracks are basically the same. The "Radio Edit" is the basic version - a techno dance version of Laurence Rosenthal's Young Indy theme with some "rap" vocals (lyrics below) and looped vocal samples overlayed. The "Dance Version" is just an extended... uh... dance mix. Saxy Edit replaces one of the synthed instruments with a synthed saxophone. The instrumental version just deletes the "rap" vocals but leaves the looped samples.

It's... hillarious. Delightful. Bat-sh*t insane. Terrible. Awesome. A sign that the Star Are Right and Great Cthulhu will soon appear. I can not stop grinning when listening to this.

PM me if you have any questions.

Listen...

We bring you the unbelievable chronicle
Of the one and only: Indiana Jones

Dance the Indy Beat!

Dance with me, what you waitin' for?
Move your body, scream for more
And see: Young Indy
In a race with the rhythm so start the hype

Dance groove, smooth atmosphere
Touch your soul, delight your ear
There's many many many ways
To get with the cool Young Indy craze

It's slamin', with the zone style
Hypnotic it moves and grooves around
It brings moves to your feet
Dance moves to the smooth Young Indy beat

Dance the Indy Beat!

This is all about stoppin' sadness
Cause gruntin' only brings madness
Grab yourself, open your eyes
Get wise to the exercise

Key to the rap hazard trap
Is your body and soul will adapt
To the speed, and special treat
Of what you feel - the Young Indy beat

I'll rip up the mike, tear it in two
Throw it down and pass it back to you
The funky rhymes I'm showin'
Feel the hot dance with my Doctor Jones

Dance the Indy Beat!

We all know what he's been through
And the things that he had to do
So relate 'cause fate makes him great
And his courage is never second rate

Always ready for a scary surprise
And soon everyone will realize
He's in a world of his own
No-one can hang with Indiana Jones
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #53
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Well... wow. I now need it more than ever before.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #54
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I checked my mailbox at work as I was walking out the door and the Satellite 1 - Young Indy CD had arrived. I went back to my desk, ripped it, and plopped it on my mp3 player for the walk home.

O... M... F... G....

I spent the next 20 minutes walking the streets of San Francisco with a sh*t eating grin on my face, barely containing giggles, trying not to burst into laughter. (Not that anyone would notice and/or care - it is SF...)
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! InexorableTash, thanks for your HYSTERICAL post!!! Not only for transcribing the lyrics but your gut-bustingly, funny review!
You have me in stiches right now! (I can imagine you on the street 'cause I was in SF recently and can create a pretty vivid picture of your Satellite 1 experience.)
Quote:
Satellite 1 is a TV station in Germany - I'm going to speculate that the CD was released as a promotional item when they were airing Young Indy in 1993.
Judging by the photos on the CD cover, it looks like maybe early/mid '92. They are all "Curse of the Jackal" images.
Quote:
It's... hillarious. Delightful. Bat-sh*t insane. Terrible. Awesome. A sign that the Star Are Right and Great Cthulhu will soon appear.
It must have been delivered unto this earth by the Saucermen from Mars. Again, thanks for posting the lyrics & details.
My favourite belly-achers are:

"This is all about stoppin' sadness
Cause gruntin' only brings madness
Grab yourself, open your eyes
Get wise to the exercise

Key to the rap hazard trap
Is your body and soul will adapt
To the speed, and special treat
Of what you feel - the Young Indy beat

I'll rip up the mike, tear it in two
Throw it down and pass it back to you
The funky rhymes I'm showin'
Feel the hot dance with my Doctor Jones"
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #55
phantom train
IndyFan

I've got two of the four YIJC soundtracks, but at one time had them all. They're some of the best TV/movie-related soundtracks I've ever heard - very comprehensive and expertly put together. Not only do they remind you of the show, but they also give an excellent picture of 19th century/early
20th century music, both classical and popular.

Here's hoping they will re-release/re-master all four YIJC soundtrack CD's in a boxed set (similar to the recent boxed set of the soundtracks to all four IJ films). If such a boxed set were to come out, it would be great if it were to include a fifth CD with all sorts of extra tracks (again, similar to the boxed set of the recent soundtracks for the IJ films).

I'd also like to see more YIJC soundtrack albums released, since the four CD's out there are just scratching the surface of the music that was composed for the shows.

Last edited by phantom train : 02-24-2009 at 11:20 AM.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #56
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

A Young Indy rap??!! Wowsers.. gotta get a hold of that..
Young Indy naysayers take note:

Theres many many many ways
to get with the cool young Indy craze

So It must be good...

Man I just wish they made a music video, like the one for the friends theme song... Sean, Corey, Remy, Ford, speilburg and Lucas dancing to the hip young funky indy groove
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #57
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

InexorableTash and Stoo, thank ye so so much for the crazy pleasure of Satallite one... Its still on in the backround. The craziest rap thing I've ever heard. Listening to the Saxy beat right now, which is pretty similar to other one really.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #58
fommes
IndyFan

Wow, I'm just listening to this for the first time - what a (cultural) shock! Thanks for this - this is just unbelievable.
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #59
Stoo
IndyFan

Hey, Jeremiah and fommes, isn't it just INSANE?! Got to make a video for this one day. "Dance moves to the smooth Young Indy beat!"

Just realized there is an untapped resource for some more Young Indy tracks! The 3 games included on the DVDs have music throughout and also during the game credits. Tash, do you feel up to doing some more extracts?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #60
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Huh, didn't think of those.

It doesn't take any mad skillz to get the tracks, though - the installer on the DVDs is in the "common" directory, and (assuming you have a Windows box) you just install the EXE and look in C:\Program Files\Young Indy Adventures\Revolution\Audio (for example). They're just MP3s.

Okay, here's my (novice analysis) - I'd break the Revolutions track down into four groups:

Stock Music - anything that sounds too "clean" - recorded entirely on sync, probably from a stock music source or MIDI conversions. Not necessarily, bad, but almost certainly not used in the series:

* travel.mp3 - sounds like a medley of stock adventure music
* shooting_gallery.mp3
* ending_music.mp3
* train_switch.mp3
* choose_path.mp3
* bomb_game.mp3
* store_house.mp3
* guerrero.mp3
* border_town.mp3
* saloon.mp3/franks_house.mp3/card_mini_game.mp3/cafe_.mp3/BlackJack.mp3
* general_store.mp3

From Barcelona 1916 on OST#1

* Store.mp3 - "The Dressing Room"
* Gambling.mp3/Epilogue.mp3
* Ponchos_camp.mp3
* extra4.mp3
* BorderTown.mp3

From John Williams:

* opening_theme.mp3 is the closing credits to Temple of Doom

Tracks I can't place:

* Extra3.mp3 - sounds like something from Phantom Train, honestly; this is definitely my favorite track of the lot. McNeely?
* AudioTrack 1 (encounters.mp3) - could be stock but it doesn't have that "clean" sound
* AudioTrack 05 (hearst_hacienda.mp3) - sounds Rosenthalish
* extra2.mp3
* Combat.mp3
* panchos_camp.mp3
* Extra.mp3
* Map1.mp3 - definitely from Barcelona 1916 but *****NOT on the OST*****
* Store2.mp3/Cafe.mp3 - may be stock music, but worth checking

Stoo, I'd put your focus on those.

I'll tackle the rest tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #61
InexorableTash
IndyFan

huh, well, the next two games disappoint on the audio front:

* Both have the Temple of Doom credits as the opening_theme.mp3
* Both have a ton of numeric files which are spoken snippets from the game
* Both have only *one* (!) other audio track

Special Delivery's bgmusic1.mp3 sounds like it's from Congo 1917; which makes sense (there's a trill which sounds like part of "Schweitzer Says Goodbye" from OST#2).

Hunting For Treasure's bgmusic2.mp3 is indistinct. It's almost certainly original music, presumably from the show, but it's very quiet and I can't place it. There's two parts - "native drumbing" and "wistful", which I suppose could easily be from TOTPE, given how little of that music is published.

Bummer, I was hoping for more.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #62
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Um, cancel that... it's possible to extract audio from the SWFs and there's some newish sounding stuff in there, albeit lower quality.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #63
InexorableTash
IndyFan

NOTE: To extract MP3s from SWF, I recommend "Fortop SWF Resource Extract".

Here are the bits that I'm 80% certain are from YIJC:

Revolution:
Combat.mp3 from Revolution is almost certainly from Trenches of Hell. 1:50 at
Extra.mp3 (0:23@128kbps), extra2.mp3 (2:12@128kbps), extra3.mp3 (3:40@128kbps) - no idea what these are from, but they're good!

Special Delivery:
belgiumcamp-3.swf contains 1:58@16kbps (bleah) from "Attack of the Hawkmen" (matches the final credits)
Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) and Combat_047.swf (2:36@16kbps) contain something from YIJC I just can't place. There's a musical trill that's distinctive, but I'm not finding a match. Also "Attack of the Hawkmen" perhaps?
IndyCredits.swf - (2:15@112kbps) - can't place it, but probably from YIJC
frenchport.swf (1:48@16kbps) - can't place it, but probably from YIJC
mainvillage.swf (1:35@16kbps and 1:39@16kbps) - possibly Attack of the Hawkmen as well.
Map1.mp3 (1:19@128kbps) - alternate recording of the music from "The Contessa" Barcelona 1917; I don't know if that's original to YIJC or not tho.

Hunting for Treasure:
IndyCredits.swf - (2:28@128kps) - awesome segment, same music trill as above ("Hawkmen" ?)
026_blackjack.swf (1:37@16kbps) - sounds like TOTPE, but I can't swear to it
040_BarScene.swf (3:01@16kbps) - as above... definitely YIJC, but TOTPE?
062_OnShip_rotating.swf (3:51@16kps) - as above; great action music!
097_hieroglyphics.swf (2:39@128kbps) - mellow, very nice. TOTPE?

C'mon, Stoo, help me out here! Fommes? Anyone?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #64
Stoo
IndyFan

Good going, Tash. Unfortunatley, I'm having some major computer trouble (typing this from my girlfriend's lapttop) so I'll be out of it for awhile.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #65
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Hunting For Treasure / 097_hieroglyphics.swf (2:39@128kbps) - confirmed from TOTPE - it's a longer segment that contains the 30 second sample of "The Letter" from Steve Bramson's web site.

Hunting For Treasure / 040_BarScene.swf (3:01@16kbps) - confirmed from TOTPE - it's a longer segment that contains the 30 second sample of "Faraway" from Steve Bramson's web site.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #66
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Hunting for Treasure - IndyCredits.swf - (2:28@128kps) - confirmed, I dub it "Dogfight with the Red Baron" from Attack of the Hawkmen (35 minutes into the DVD)

Special Delivery - Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) - same bits of Attack of the Hawkmen as LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT from the LEGO Indy soundtrack; longer (less cut up) but lower quality. I dub it "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape"

Special Delivery - Combat_047.swf (2:36@16kbps) - Attack of the Hawkmen (47 minutes into the DVD) - end of the first half. It could be either "Any landing you can walk away from" or "More Ghosts" but i think I'll dub it "Out Of Danger" since it ends on a happy note.

Last edited by InexorableTash : 04-29-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #67
fommes
IndyFan

Wow, splendid work! Thanks very much for all the trouble. I look forward to looking into this as well, but I'm afraid I just got too much work in May - hopefully in June I'll have some time left...

A small question about that opening_theme: I suppose that's music from the TOD soundtrack, and not the 20-second segment that we're missing? (I guess we're not that lucky...)

All this Young Indy music will also be rather hard to compile. There seems to be much more 'source'-oriented music that we'll have a hard time tracking, and I myself am not familiar enough with the series to recognize the source music - especially seeing as how it's all rather alike... I'm really hoping there's an official expanded soundtrack box release soon, although my hopes aren't high I must say. Still, it's a project worth pursuing and I look forward to working on it a bit more intensively.
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #68
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Special Delivery - Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) - same bits of Attack of the Hawkmen as LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT from the LEGO Indy soundtrack; longer (less cut up) but lower quality. I dub it "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape"
This is one of my favourite pieces from the entire series. It just screams Indy action! Anyway, excellent work, Tash. Here are my notes for "Revolution":

Combat.mp3
Definitely from YIJC but I watched parts of "Trenches of Hell" yesterday and couldn't find it. Needs more investigation...
AudioTrack 1.mp3/encounters.mp3
This is the Overture from “Lawrence of Arabia” by Maurice Jarre!
Extra.mp3 (0:23@128kbps)
Sounds like something from Barcelona 1917
extra2.mp3 (2:12@128kbps)
I recognize this from the series but can't place it! Really bugging me.
Extra3.mp3 (3:40@128kbps)
I recognize this from the series but can't place it! You think "Phantom Train", eh? Hmmm...this one is bugging me.
extra4.mp3
Barcelona 1917. Opening “Old Indy” bookend & narration. Followed immediately by “Store2/Cafe”.
Gambling.mp3/Epilogue.mp3
From Barcelona 1917 on OST#1 (Re: Tash)
AudioTrack 05.mp3/hearst_hacienda.mp3
Another track from “Lawrence of Arabia” by Maurice Jarre!
Map1.mp3
Barcelona 1917. Longer edit of closing credits
panchos_camp.mp3
99.99% certain this is NOT from the series
Ponchos_camp.mp3
Store.mp3
"The Dressing Room" From Barcelona 1917 on OST#1 (Re: Tash)
Store2.mp3/Cafe.mp3
Barcelona 1917. This is the RAW track of the guitar that accompanies the dancing senorita in the bistro at the start of the episode but much longer! This is F%#&ING AWESOME! I have to learn this on guitar... (immediately follows extra4.mp3)
trainswitch5-1.mp3
Must be Barcelona. Same notes & same instrumentation.
BorderTown.mp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
All this Young Indy music will also be rather hard to compile.
We may need another spreadsheet like the LEGO one. List by episode and fill in the blanks...
Old 05-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #69
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Combat.mp3
Definitely from YIJC but I watched parts of "Trenches of Hell" yesterday and couldn't find it. Needs more investigation...

I base my claim on a distinctive theme it shares present in the Trenches of Hell credit music from the DVD. Similarly, "belgiumcamp-3.swf" has music from the Hawkmen DVD credits that isn't in the episode itself. (FWIW, I'm calling that track "Into the Sunset").

Quote:
Extra3.mp3 (3:40@128kbps)
I recognize this from the series but can't place it! You think "Phantom Train", eh? Hmmm...this one is bugging me.

I wouldn't place money on Phantom Train. It just sounds like there are pesky Germans sneaking around. Perhaps second half of Hawkmen?

Excellent work on the rest, Stoo! I wish I had an ear for music - I can listen two tracks in a row that bear distinctive themes and still not be sure if they were the same. :P

Quote:
We may need another spreadsheet like the LEGO one. List by episode and fill in the blanks...

Heh, they're cheap:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...k2g5kn74Y8lyWg

(That's not quite what was being asked for. What we really need is a complete track list for the entire series and list sources for each track. Um, but that terrifies me.)

In any case, I'm ecstatic, though, that we effectively have 10 minutes of music from each of Hawkmen and Peacock's Eye, including some high quality stuff!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #70
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
"belgiumcamp-3.swf" has music from the Hawkmen DVD credits that isn't in the episode itself. (FWIW, I'm calling that track "Into the Sunset").

I lied, it's in the episode at 13:40 or so, w00t! I dub it ("Photographic Session") One more nailed down.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #71
InexorableTash
IndyFan

I did a pass through TOTPE last night and found source times for several of the tracks, including the samples from Bramson's web site. Alas, my main network is glitchy so some edits are stuck in-flight to Google Docs. Will try and fix it tonight. Two tracks are definitely from the TOTPE score but not in the episode - possible credits? Did it air as a two-parter anywhere Stoo?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #72
Stoo
IndyFan

Before, I forget again, Tash, I love the names for track titles you're coming up with. Nice touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash re: Combat from "Revolution"
I base my claim on a distinctive theme it shares present in the Trenches of Hell credit music from the DVD.
I only scanned "Trenches" quickly and so must have missed it. There are some similar parts but I'm wondering if this could be a mixed track like some of the LEGO ones? Have to check this out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by re: Extra3 from "Revolution"
I wouldn't place money on Phantom Train. It just sounds like there are pesky Germans sneaking around. Perhaps second half of Hawkmen?
Me neither. I know "Phantom Train" very well and don't recoginze it from there.

Quote:
Excellent work on the rest, Stoo! I wish I had an ear for music - I can listen two tracks in a row that bear distinctive themes and still not be sure if they were the same. :P
You're not doing badly at all, Tash! The LEGO tracks were/are hard to go through because of the sheer amount of stuff and similarities. It basically becomes a process of elimination but without your groundwork it would've been an overwhelming task. Another tricky thing in identifying the source is that some pieces are used in more than 1 episode. Like fommes (I think?) suggested in the LEGO soundtrack thread, the key is locating the themes in the earliest (aired) episodes.

Quote:
(That's not quite what was being asked for. What we really need is a complete track list for the entire series and list sources for each track. Um, but that terrifies me.)

In any case, I'm ecstatic, though, that we effectively have 10 minutes of music from each of Hawkmen and Peacock's Eye, including some high quality stuff!
I agree. "Hawkmen" has some of my favourite music so unearthing all this stuff is a treasure hunt in it's truest form. Thanks for making the spreadsheet but I see you've categorized it by track duration (rather than by title) making it a tad difficult to go through. I can always rearrange the info in my own files but it does give a clean picture. (The reason I suggested listing by epsiode is that it will be easy to see which episodes have a little or no music available.) I'll go through "Special Delivery" next.

Quote:
Two tracks are definitely from the TOTPE score but not in the episode - possible credits? Did it air as a two-parter anywhere Stoo?
Wow. No, since it was one of the Family Channel movies that came after the regular season was cancelled, it was not shown as a 2-part. Very interesting about the your discovery...

When I get my new system up to full-speed, remind me to make an .mp3 of the original beginning of the "Travels With Father" bookends. It was dropped/replaced on the "Winds of Change" DVD, lost for all time but it is GREAT!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #73
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Stoo: Feel free to re-sort the spreadsheet - I had it sorted by time when I copied/pasted from iTunes.

New findings:

Hunting For Treasure / 062_OnShip_rotating-1
This is from Peacock's Eye, "All We Need Is A Boat" @ 0:48:18

Revolutions / Extra3
Trenches of Hell, "Let's Bury Some Stiffs" @ 1:27:06

Revolutions / Combat
Trenches of Hell "Now's Our Chance" @ 0:46:55

Revolutions / extra2
Trenches of Hell "Painful Lessons" @ 1:15:32

Last edited by InexorableTash : 05-04-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #74
InexorableTash
IndyFan

A few more:

Special Delivery / bgmusic1
Congo 1917/Oganga "My Name Is Albert" @ 0:54:47

Special Delivery / mainvillage-2
German East Africa 1916/Oganga "500 Miles Down River" @ 0:36:14

I suspect several of the remaining tracks are also from Oganga.

Also, I tracked down timestamps for some of the DVD credits:

Trenches of Hell - "Run!" @ 0:57:29
Hawkmen (Second Half) "Off to Paris" @ 0:32:03
Winds of Change "The Future Is Here" @ 1:22:54
Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #75
Thorpe
IndyFan

Any music from Travels with Father? There's one track titled Travels With Father: Tolstoy Among The People - see here. I really want this.

Look at this scene on YouTube. You would really think this score should be released. Travels with Father got an award for music but yet no release?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXMnR_XnI0
Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote