TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
Stoo
IndyFan

Curse of the Jackal - 1/My First Adventure - 1

Obviously, the major changes here are the replacement of G.Hall’s narration and the
large number of additional shots at the beginning/end but there are a few cuts, too.

In Princeton, as Indy walks down the street with his parents, you can hear Indiana the Dog’s
familiar bark for no reason (and quite prominently, I might add). It has now disappeared...

The Jones family leaving their house down the front porch steps has been eliminated!
Too bad, since Indy is walking with the dog on a leash and hands him over to one of his friends.
There's a closer look at the neighbours on the front lawn as they shake hands. (16 secs.)

Two views of the ship in the montage between the UK to Alexandria have been replaced.
The original has a smaller ship with one smoke stack, the new version features more
dramatic shots of a 3-stack (then 2 ) ocean liner.

At the end, 2 parts have been flipped “mirror fashion”. (The close-up of Ned’s feet when
he grabs the bicycle and the one of Indy gazing at T.E. while he heroically pedals away.)

The biggest loss in this episode is the closing scene where Ned tells an impressionable Henry Jr.
“I’ll write to you. I promise.” followed by “Don’t forget me!” as he takes off. (25 secs.)

The last bit is a very, important part to lose.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #27
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Indy is walking with the dog on a leash and hands him over to one of his friends.
Sorry for the double-post but it was too late to edit. I meant to write, "hands her over to one of his friends."
Old 05-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
fommes
IndyFan

Quote:
The biggest loss in this episode is the closing scene where Ned tells an impressionable Henry Jr.
“I’ll write to you. I promise.” followed by “Don’t forget me!” as he takes off. (25 secs.)

The last bit is a very, important part to lose.

I've just seen this original episode again, for the first time since I saw it when it premiered here. Such a great two-parter. I just can't believe they split it up for the sake of chronology.
I've never seen the new cut 'video' films - they're still not out on DVD here... - but I really don't see why they would cut that part you mentioned Stoo, it's such an integral part for the rest of the series.
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #29
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I recently watched 'Travels with Father' on DVD, and was disappointed to find that the bookend with Sean Patrick Flanery where he meets up with Nancy has been replaced!!!!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #30
TalonCard
IndyFan

Don't worry too much over it--the Travels with Father bookends were edited together with new footage to create a brand new episode, which was then joined with another episode as Winds of Change for the DVDs. I still haven't seen that one, but supposedly the scenes with Indy, Nancy, and Henry Sr. are all more or less intact...

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #31
Stoo
IndyFan

Travels With Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
I recently watched 'Travels with Father' on DVD, and was disappointed to find that the bookend with Sean Patrick Flanery where he meets up with Nancy has been replaced!!!!
There are also a few other minor cuts/modifications.

There is a scene where a maid brings the Jones' a bowl of water for Ms. Seymour.
The shot of her walking down the hallway has been refilmed with a different set/actress/costume.
The original hallway was very bland and looked out of place for such a stately home.

The boat trip "red line montage" has been modified! Istanbul has been (more appropriately) changed to Constantinople,
and an extra stop in Greece has also been added. So, the difference in the map sequence goes like this:

T.V.: Odessa > Istanbul > Athens
DVD: Odessa > Constantinople > Thessalonike > Athens

As soon as Henry Sr. & Jr. head off to the monastery, we see a shot of their carriage riding down the road.
One would never notice but a Greek temple has been ERASED from the background mountain range!
My guess is that it was a modern reconcustruction that didn't exist back in 1909/10.

When father & son are treading water in the lake, a far shot of them has been replaced by a close-up when
Henry Sr. says "Ah, this is wonderful!" Plus, another shot of the lamb eating their clothes has been eliminated.
It was used to segue between the lake scene and the village (since you don't see them run out of the lake
butt naked and walk to the village).

The new map montage is definitely a change for the better!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #32
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:

For me, one of the most vexing things about George Lucas' constant tweaking of his works is that they aren't always for the worse, just as they aren't always for the better. There are certainly any number of changes (Greedo shooting first, say) that virtually anyone who isn't George might agree are unnecessary or even detrimental, but at the same time there really are lots of changes that really are improvements. For me, seeing
the cobra's unwanted reflection in the glass in the Well of Souls set in Raiders of the Lost Ark
was terrible; while some might have regarded it as "charming" or whatever, it obviously detracted from any feeling the situation is "real," and removed tension from the scene. It undermined one's immersion in the narrative, and I was glad to see it gone. On the other hand, some of the many changes in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, beginning with the excision of the old Indy bookends and reconfiguration of the episodes into "movies" when a lot (most?) of them work better as episodes, are really unfortunate (at least in the opinions of many - most? - people here).

Of course the purist approach is simply to say "leave everything the way it was, flaws and all," but I don't think this is ideal. For historical purposes, yes, it's important to have access to the original versions, and I really wish George weren't so keen on keeping his older versions of stuff out of the marketplace - but the movies and shows also have to work as movies and shows, not just documents about their own creation, and it's inarguable that sometimes the filmmakers just didn't have the resources (money, tech, time, you name it) they should have when they first made their works, or that they made easily-fixable mistakes that if left unchanged interfere with a viewer's appreciation of the work. For this reason I've always cut Lucas a little slack (compared with other fans) when discussing his constant changes; I try to not just dogmatically oppose every one of his little tinkerings, but evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. I still get angry and frustrated about some of his revisions... but I have to admit I actually like some of the others. If only he would at least make all the major versions of everything available in the format of the moment (à la Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, etc.), rather than forever consigning them to formats no longer in use...

And I do agree Greedo never got off a shot.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #33
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
I try to not just dogmatically oppose every one of his little tinkerings, but evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. I still get angry and frustrated about some of his revisions... but I have to admit I actually like some of the others. If only he would at least make all the major versions of everything available in the format of the moment (à la Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, etc.), rather than forever consigning them to formats no longer in use...
I feel exactly the same way and, as is the case with the Mata Hari episode, the masterful, digital tinkering
covering the nude models was done for TV censorship. On DVD, the scene plays out much more successfully.

P.S. In A&E's "Biography" on Harrsion Ford, there's a version of the Greedo scene where
Greedo fires 1st but Han doesn't flinch! It doens't look as bad as the final "Special Edition"
(even though it's still a dumb idea).
Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #34
TalonCard
IndyFan

Quote:
P.S. In A&E's "Biography" on Harrsion Ford, there's a version of the Greedo scene where
Greedo fires 1st but Han doesn't flinch! It doens't look as bad as the final "Special Edition"
(even though it's still a dumb idea).

That's probably from the 2004 DVD version--Han and Greedo effectively shoot at the same time. As a Star Wars fan, I just find the whole "Han shot first" drama hilarious. First the reaction of fans to the new version. "Huh?" Then the hard core fans reaction. "$(&*@! Lucas ruined my childhood!!!" Then the DVD with both nearly shooting at once...but Han still shoots first. Then Lucas Liscensing makes a bundle off of protest t-shirts saying "Han shot first" and the DVDs of the original versions of the movies. Most recently, a picture taken during the production of Indy IV surfaced with Lucas actually wearing a "Han shot first" t-shirt. Tell me that's not funny.

Another change for the better was the inclusion of the new Emperor in the DVD version of Empire. Why Lucas didn't change that long ago is beyond me...

TC
Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #35
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonCard
Then Lucas Liscensing makes a bundle off of protest t-shirts saying "Han shot first" and the DVDs of the original versions of the movies. Most recently, a picture taken during the production of Indy IV surfaced with Lucas actually wearing a "Han shot first" t-shirt. Tell me that's not funny.

Hah! That's hysterical! It'll probably make some fans angry, though...

I don't think all the "Han shot first" t-shirts are necessarily licensed by Lucasfilm, incidentally - if they just say that and don't actually use actual Star Wars imagery, they can get away with it, even though everyone understands it's a Star Wars reference. There may be some "official" "Han shot first" shirts, though...

Quote:
Another change for the better was the inclusion of the new Emperor in the DVD version of Empire. Why Lucas didn't change that long ago is beyond me...

TC

I concur. I was really surprised to see that wasn't addressed in the 1997 'Special Edition'.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #36
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
For me, one of the most vexing things about George Lucas' constant tweaking of his works is that they aren't always for the worse, just as they aren't always for the better. There are certainly any number of changes (Greedo shooting first, say) that virtually anyone who isn't George might agree are unnecessary or even detrimental, but at the same time there really are lots of changes that really are improvements. For me, seeing
the cobra's unwanted reflection in the glass in the Well of Souls set in Raiders of the Lost Ark
was terrible; while some might have regarded it as "charming" or whatever, it obviously detracted from any feeling the situation is "real," and removed tension from the scene. It undermined one's immersion in the narrative, and I was glad to see it gone. On the other hand, some of the many changes in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, beginning with the excision of the old Indy bookends and reconfiguration of the episodes into "movies" when a lot (most?) of them work better as episodes, are really unfortunate (at least in the opinions of many - most? - people here).

Of course the purist approach is simply to say "leave everything the way it was, flaws and all," but I don't think this is ideal. For historical purposes, yes, it's important to have access to the original versions, and I really wish George weren't so keen on keeping his older versions of stuff out of the marketplace - but the movies and shows also have to work as movies and shows, not just documents about their own creation, and it's inarguable that sometimes the filmmakers just didn't have the resources (money, tech, time, you name it) they should have when they first made their works, or that they made easily-fixable mistakes that if left unchanged interfere with a viewer's appreciation of the work. For this reason I've always cut Lucas a little slack (compared with other fans) when discussing his constant changes; I try to not just dogmatically oppose every one of his little tinkerings, but evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. I still get angry and frustrated about some of his revisions... but I have to admit I actually like some of the others. If only he would at least make all the major versions of everything available in the format of the moment (à la Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, etc.), rather than forever consigning them to formats no longer in use...

And I do agree Greedo never got off a shot.

I think a lot of Lucas' tinkering is sort of a psychological reaction to how he was treated by Hollywood "suits" during production of THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars. I recently watched the documentary "Fog City Mavericks", which details a lot of famous filmmakers from the San Francisco bay area. It has perhaps the most telling Lucas quote on all of this. The narrator starts talking about how Universal Pictures cut several scenes for the theatrical release of American Graffit, and how upset this made Lucas. Then Lucas comments along the lines of "They cut those scenes out back then. But now we have DVD, and that studio version is now gone forever."
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #37
TalonCard
IndyFan

Quote:
I don't think all the "Han shot first" t-shirts are necessarily licensed by Lucasfilm, incidentally - if they just say that and don't actually use actual Star Wars imagery, they can get away with it, even though everyone understands it's a Star Wars reference. There may be some "official" "Han shot first" shirts, though...

You're probably right. The one Lucas is wearing in the picture has a "Galactic Heroes" style Han Solo, similar to the kind of shirts I'd seen in the Star Tours gift shop, so I just assumed it was official...

TC
Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #38
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
There are also a few other minor cuts/modifications.

There is a scene where a maid brings the Jones' a bowl of water for Ms. Seymour.
The shot of her walking down the hallway has been refilmed with a different set/actress/costume.
The original hallway was very bland and looked out of place for such a stately home.

The boat trip "red line montage" has been modified! Istanbul has been (more appropriately) changed to Constantinople,
and an extra stop in Greece has also been added. So, the difference in the map sequence goes like this:

T.V.: Odessa > Istanbul > Athens
DVD: Odessa > Constantinople > Thessalonike > Athens

As soon as Henry Sr. & Jr. head off to the monastery, we see a shot of their carriage riding down the road.
One would never notice but a Greek temple has been ERASED from the background mountain range!
My guess is that it was a modern reconcustruction that didn't exist back in 1909/10.

When father & son are treading water in the lake, a far shot of them has been replaced by a close-up when
Henry Sr. says "Ah, this is wonderful!" Plus, another shot of the lamb eating their clothes has been eliminated.
It was used to segue between the lake scene and the village (since you don't see them run out of the lake
butt naked and walk to the village).

They took the long shot with their butts out of the film? That was the funniest thing though! And besides, if they made a longer sex scene with Mata Hari, why the heck cut out the naked backside long shot? Everything else is fine, but still... funniest bit in the whole film and they took it out.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
They took the long shot with their butts out of the film? That was the funniest thing though! And besides, if they made a longer sex scene with Mata Hari, why the heck cut out the naked backside long shot? Everything else is fine, but still... funniest bit in the whole film and they took it out.
I guess didn't word this bit too well. The butt shot is not in the TV version (nor is the part where they are walking to the village).
Instead, there is 2nd shot of the lamb eating their clothes which is now gone on the DVD. Hope that makes things a little clearer!
Old 05-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #40
Michael24
IndyFan

I seem to remember an episode where Henry Sr. and another man greet each other with the same "genius of the restoration" bit that Henry and Brody do in The Last Crusade. I never saw this while watching Volume 1, but I distinctly recall such a moment from years ago when Young Indy was originally airing, so I guess this was a bit lost during the later reedits?
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Hey Micheal24. Yes, the scene has been cut (I guess you didn't read the whole thread) but can be seen here:

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 2 (Extended)
Old 05-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #42
Michael24
IndyFan

I looked through the thread before asking, but must have missed it if it was noted. But thanks for the link.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #43
T.E.Lawrence
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
A scene where Indy is reading a letter from Ned "This is a war that has to be fought..." was cut from Curse of the Jackal. It's probably for the best, sounds less like he's just Neds parrot when he's talking to Remy later.

I am missing that line so much in the new versions. It is the first time where Henry will coin the term "The Alternative is Unthinkable" from the Ned's letter. Later he will use it few times idealisticly to rationalize his involvment in the Great War. Now it sounds that it is his own line but I think it would be much better that they have left it so you have a much better sense of Indy's naivete. It was such a beutiful touch and I was so sad because that was a crucial line - I don't have a problem with other changes though. Altough line "don't forget me" from the Curse of the Jackal also has great weight.
T.E.Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #44
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Is it just me, but in the Pancho Villa episode: didn't Indy originally read a letter from TE Lawrence about the Great War being "the war that above all must be fought & won"? And then he quotes it to Remy at the end. In the DVD, I believe the first scene is missing, undercutting the comedy & drama of the pay off.

Am I right?
Peacock's-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #45
T.E.Lawrence
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock's-Eye
Is it just me, but in the Pancho Villa episode: didn't Indy originally read a letter from TE Lawrence about the Great War being "the war that above all must be fought & won"? And then he quotes it to Remy at the end. In the DVD, I believe the first scene is missing, undercutting the comedy & drama of the pay off.

Am I right?

Yes as we discussed the scene with the letter and Ned's voice has been cuted.
T.E.Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #46
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Sorry, missed that. This is an epic thread!

So far, that's the only cut I really hate.
And the rats crawling over the battlefield after Verdun - I miss that powerful image.
Peacock's-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #47
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock's-Eye
Sorry, missed that. This is an epic thread!

So far, that's the only cut I really hate.
And the rats crawling over the battlefield after Verdun - I miss that powerful image.

It's still in the re-edits, but in a different place. But I prefered the original, with Old Indy explaining what happened after the Battle of Verdun.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #48
Stoo
IndyFan

Vienna, November 1908/Perils of Cupid - 1

The closing shot of Sophie on her bed staring at Indy’s gift has been removed.
The re-edit uses it partially in the vision Indy has on the train during the linking
segment to "Florence".
Old 06-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #49
oliverjones18
IndyFan

SPF looks different too
oliverjones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #50
Stoo
IndyFan

Travels With Father Bookends (Princeton, June 1919)/Winds of Change - Part 2

Quote:
Don't worry too much over it--the Travels with Father bookends were edited together with new footage to create a brand new episode, which was then joined with another episode as Winds of Change for the DVDs. I still haven't seen that one, but supposedly the scenes with Indy, Nancy, and Henry Sr. are all more or less intact...
Even though the bookends for “Travels With Father” were only about 11 mins. total,
it’s disheartening to discover that + 1:45 mins. were cut for the DVD. What’s missing?

----
The LOGO, the GREAT MUSIC & several shots of the New York harbor sequence:

9 secs.
Aerial fly-by of Statue of Liberty with ship and Manhattan in the background.
(The new one is different and the beautiful opening music w/logo is gone! )
7 secs.
Close-up of Indy alone on deck worriedly looking over the rail-side toward home.
7 secs.
Another close-up of Indy at the rail.
2 secs.
Large group of ship passengers waving their hats.
6 secs.
Direct, side shot of ship with Manhattan skyline in the background.
6 secs.
Tugboats pushing ship toward pier.
4 secs.
Large group of people whistling & waving on landing dock (Pier 37).
6 secs.
Indy coming down the gangway. He stops and hestitates , then smiles before continuing.

Because of the new love story with Amy, the parts with Indy returning home alone are gone. Shame, since they make it a much more sad & effective scene.
Flanery’s acting is great in this shot. The look on his face really evokes the anxiety and apprehension Indy must feel, knowing he’ll soon face his father.
Here he is, having been through so much, returning home all alone, with no one to greet him. The original is deeper. The anticipation of reuniting with his
father gets watered down in the DVD. Although brief, the missing parts & music create more tension than all the pertaining dialogue in “Winds of Change”.

----
4 secs.
Nancy looks back at Indy as she continues her walk. Deleted!
Shot of the Jones' house. Deleted!

----
7 secs.
In both versions, immediately after Indy puts down the photo of his mother, it cuts to father & son’s 1st dinner.
In the original, Henry Sr. takes a spoonful of greens from a dish and puts it on his plate. Immersed in his book
in complete silence, he puts the spoon back in the dish.

The DVD has Henry just eating/reading and the lid is on the dish. Watch when Indy says, “It’s good to be home”.
The dish is uncovered and near his plate. Good to know Junior is eating his veggies! Anyway, the above shot is gone.

(In Travels With Father, this shot is followed immediately by the “apology/Athens conversation scene”
so, until now, I hadn’t noticed that their clothes changed in the middle of the scene. )

----
Parts of the dinner conversations are also missing from “Winds of Change”. They’ve been rearranged & patched up
using some editing tricks and audio overdubs. Here’s a comparison (overdubs in bold italics):

Winds of Change DVD
Indy: You’re just mad ‘cause I left for the war without discussing it with you.
Henry Sr.: That subject is closed.
Indy: It’s true. Why can’t you admit it? You’re still mad at me and you’re going to go on being mad at me, aren’t you?
You’re never going to let it go!

Indy’s lips don’t match the dialogue so this is an obvious overdub. What does he originally say that Henry Sr.
refuses to discuss? Since this part is not in the TwF bookends, the hidden line is a mystery. If not the war,
what could this sensitive subject have been? Any lip-readers out there who can figure it out?

----
Travels With Father
Indy: Father, there’s something I’d like to say. I’d like to apologize…for going off to the war in Europe without telling you.
Henry Sr.: We will not discuss it further.

Winds of Change DVD
Indy: Father, there’s something I’d like to say. I’d like to apologize…about the other night. Things I said, the way I acted.
I was way out of line and I’m sorry. Guess that’s it.
Henry Sr.: We will not discuss it further.

----
Travels With Father
Henry Sr.: We’d gone to Greece, if I remember, straight after our visit to Russia.
Indy: That’s right.
Henry Sr.: Where you ran away.
Indy: No…yeah…I guess I’d run away…Why was that, though, I – that I ran away? I don’t really recall?
Henry Sr.: I recall perfectly. We were staying in the country with some friends of mine who very kindly invited us
to their daughter’s wedding…Except you took into your head to disregard the rules of correct behaviour…
(Dissolve to the dancing/wedding reception in Russia)
(Dissolve from the father & son hugging in Greece)
Indy: It was the only time I could ever remember you actually hugged me…and it felt great.
That was the best time I ever had with you. For awhile there, just…just for that moment,
you really were my dad.

Winds of Change DVD
Henry Sr.: We’d gone to Greece, if I remember, straight after our visit to Russia and we got stuck in the monastery’s wooden lift.
Indy: That’s right. Best time I ever had with you. When we finally escaped up the rope I remember you picked me up and just
held me really tight
It was the only time I could ever remember you actually hugged me…and it felt great. For awhile there, just…
just for that moment, you really were my dad.

2 secs.
Indy saying, “Father, there’s...” (there’s something I’d like to say)
(DVD has a view of the house at night.)
3 secs.
Henry Sr. acknowledges Indy’s apology with a slight nod of the head. (Longer cut which precedes “We will not discuss it further.”
This is when Indy says “for going off to the war in Europe without telling you.”)
4 secs.
“What more is there to say?” close-up on Henry Sr. is gone!
(Replaced by an over-the-shoulder shot with a new delivery by Lloyd Owen.)
2 secs.
Shot of Henry Sr. reacting when Indy says, “We never have been.”
(Replaced by a longer shot of Indy.)
2 secs.
Shot of Henry Sr. saying, “In Athens?”
(Replaced by a longer shot of Indy.)
31 secs.
Henry Sr.'s segue into the Russian episode
2 secs.
A shot of Henry Sr. trying to look at his son but flicking his eyes down in shame.
2 secs.
Indy saying, “That was the” (best time I ever had with you.)

and finally...
----
4 secs.
Shot of a girl in white dress & man walking by the Jones' house. Car front right. Deleted!

Other shots lasted a few seconds longer. Won’t say much about them other than there's
certainly a lot to mention for just over 10 minutes of footage!