TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #26
Agent Spalko

If you guys think this episode is out of place I can only imagine your reaction to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
Gobi-1
IndyFan

Out of all the Young Indy movies I hadn't seen yet I was looking forward to Masks of Evil the most and I have to say not only was I disappointed I think it ranks as the worst Young Indy episode ever.

As someone said it was freaky and weird and I couldn't agree more. I was like "What the hell?" It was just cartoonishly bad. I also couldn't believe how bloody the episode was. Would have scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Did this episode ever air on ABC? If not I understand why.

I enjoyed the first half though. That was a good episode despite being a bit predictable.
Gobi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #28
tupogirl
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi-1

No. I saw it for the first time on VHS about 2000 and it wasn't that bloody. My 5 year old was sitting with me when I watched it on History Channel recently and I wasn't expecting all the blood!
tupogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #29
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi-1
No, it didn't air in Canada nor the U.K. either. It was shown in mainland Europe (and possibly Australia)
but was not as bloody as "Masks of Evil". (You don't see what happens behind the curtains.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
If you guys think this episode is out of place I can only imagine your reaction to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Most of the people who have posted in this thread LIKE the episode.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #30
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

I haven't seen this episode yet. Truth be told I haven't seen all the Young Indy episodes, but I still need to buy the DVDs to fix that. Which box set is it in?

It does sound like a cool episode. I love a good vampire story and loved the Indy Find Your Fate book with the Cup of the Vampire in it as a kid, so I think this sounds like something I will like.
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #31
phantom train
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy fan 235
I haven't seen this episode yet. Truth be told I haven't seen all the Young Indy episodes, but I still need to buy the DVDs to fix that. Which box set is it in?

It does sound like a cool episode. I love a good vampire story and loved the Indy Find Your Fate book with the Cup of the Vampire in it as a kid, so I think this sounds like something I will like.

"Masks of Evil" is in the YIJC Volume 3 DVD set.

Despite all of the naysayers, I feel this is a great episode - but, definitely not for the squeamish.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

Cool, thanks, Phantom Train. I look forward to seeing this episode one day.
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #33
Flannery10
IndyFan

Even though, I was really looking forward to the episode, I was a little disappointed when I finally saw it. I guess after seeing all those great Young Indy episodes without any supernatural elements, I was a little shocked to see one as bloody as Transylvania. Not that I had anything against the blood, but parts of the episodes seemed to be a little farfetched.

The actual episode seemed to be pretty short, and since you have all the originals Stoo, could you tell me at what point Transylvania really starts because Masks of Evil seems to have a very long linking segment.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #34
Stoo
IndyFan

The original starts in Venice with Indy in the gondola as it passes under the bridge,
so the linking segment isn't really as long as it seems.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #35
vf wing
IndyFan

This is one of the episodes I've been very keen on avoiding spoilers for since I started watching the series. I was afraid that with the feel of the show being different from the movies that they would not go there: namely, portraying Vlad Tepes as a vampire. I'm very glad I was wrong!

Still, the episode left me a bit lukewarm. I honestly can't recall a single thing about the opening half, as I was pretty anxious to see the Dracula stuff. But I'm looking forward to seeing it again, as second screenings tend to improve my opinion of stuff I'm predisposed to liking but am on the fence about after seeing once.
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #36
vf wing
IndyFan

WHOA! Turns out the second screening makes a HUGE difference. First half seemed a bit rushed, but that was mostly due to the story structure, namely throwing us into Indy's current situation that he's clearly been wrapped up in for some time. Gotta admit his girlfriend's death scene wasn't particularly well acted.

The linking segments are starting to stick out like a sore thumb. Seems like he could have at least gotten a haircut.

But the Dracula chapter this time had me mesmerized! I really blew thru it last time, glossing over virtually everything 'til Drac himself appeared. Most of it was sort of a spooky haunted house type story that was surprisingly effective. I'm a Keith Szarabajka fan from his Equalizer days, so he was a treat to see.

My only nitpick here was how easily they took Vlad down. Was surprised to see Indy was pretty much a sidekick in this one, but if he hadn't been allied with an expert, he would've ended up an hors d'oeuvres. But this is an iconic story in his timeline, since it's pretty much his first encounter with the supernatural... that we know of so far, anyhoo!

I actually had nightmares after this one!
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #37
phantom train
IndyFan

I think the first sequence in "Masks of Evil" (the Turkey episode) is best seen as a stand-alone TV episode, as I first saw it way back in 1993.
I found this whole episode very well-done, poignant, and sad, especially the ending when the girlfriend (Molly?) passes away.

However, as it now stands "Turkey" is overshadowed by the "Transylvania" sequence (which I also think would work better as a stand-alone episode than as the 2nd part of a TV movie).

That all being said, the "Transylvania" sequence is definitely one of the high points of the YIJC series, and seems to be the only time you actually see Indy battling something otherworldly/supernatural on the show.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #38
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
I think the first sequence in "Masks of Evil" (the Turkey episode) is best seen as a stand-alone TV episode, as I first saw it way back in 1993.

I think the whole series is best seen as stand alone episodes. Some of them fit together pretty well (Oganga, Scandal of 1920, etc.) but for the most part they work best the way they were originally designed to, not the way they were redesigned.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf wing
But the Dracula chapter this time had me mesmerized! I really blew thru it last time, glossing over virtually everything 'til Drac himself appeared. Most of it was sort of a spooky haunted house type story that was surprisingly effective. I'm a Keith Szarabajka fan from his Equalizer days, so he was a treat to see.

My only nitpick here was how easily they took Vlad down. Was surprised to see Indy was pretty much a sidekick in this one, but if he hadn't been allied with an expert, he would've ended up an hors d'oeuvres. But this is an iconic story in his timeline, since it's pretty much his first encounter with the supernatural... that we know of so far, anyhoo!
There are so many great elements in this episode. Ex. the cut coin pieces, Indy with the grappling hook, the ball lightning, the Cpt. Waters character and I can't give enough accolades to Bob Peck for his interpretation of Vlad! The linking segment for "Masks" is one that I actually like because they managed to get the same actor back and his dialgoue is just so creepy and demented.

Didn't know that about Keith Szarabajka so thanks for the info, vf wing. Look for his green truck in another episode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatom train
I found this whole episode very well-done, poignant, and sad, especially the ending when the girlfriend (Molly?) passes away.

However, as it now stands "Turkey" is overshadowed by the "Transylvania" sequence (which I also think would work better as a stand-alone episode than as the 2nd part of a TV movie).
Just for the record, phantom train, the actual title was "Istanbul, September 1918" and it is indeed one of the best of the series and the only one that has absolutely no humour or comedic moment. It is dark and serious with tension thicker than a brick. When it originally aired, the ending hit like a lead weight and actually made a little tear well up in my eye. Poor Molly.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #40
Rocket Surgeon

I have only seen the Easter Uprising episode, and that only on you tube...so we all know that doesn't really count. I've watched Stoo's Old Indy Chronicles, (thanks Stoo), but The Masks of Evil has always been one episode I've always hoped was great. It's on my Netflix cue, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what has been compromised for the DVD edition?

Here's to Vampires...I hope it's a good one!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Hey, Rocket. As far as I can tell, the "Istanbul" segment is completely intact and "Transylvania" has been expanded. So nothing is missing from either of them. I really don't know what you will think of "Masks" should you ever see it...Some people hate it. (Ex. "Indy with vampires? That is SO NOT INDY!" ) However, you would probably like the Istanbul segment! No funny business.

If you ever do manage to see more episodes, this thread might interest you: Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films
Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #42
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
^ Vampires don't fit in with Indy? Who the heck said that?

For what it's worth, I love Masks of Evil. It's definitely one of my favourites. It's got a very ToD feel to the second half. I also love the first half as well though probably not as much as the second half (I have relatives that come from that area between Hungary and Romania, best known as Transylvania, an area of land that's been fought over between the Hungarians and Romanians for a very long time, so for all we know, I could be part vampire, ).
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
Morning Bell
IndyFan

Like others have mentioned, I enjoyed the Temple of Doom feel of this one. Creepy stuff.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #44
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

I only recently watched this episode for the first time, somehow I missed it during its initial run.

Man, the first half of the episode (non-Transylvania) was deadly boring. Dreadful.

The "bridging" section was a joke. Are all of those sequences as awkward as this one (I have seen very few of the re-cut two-part "movies" they released to DVD.)

However, the Transylvania part was mildly entertaining, if not great. There were some serious production problems that hindered by enjoyment, including the laughable effects for the "ball lightning" and the TERRIBLE production design for the interior of the castle.

Hadn't anyone SEEN a Dracula movie before? What was with all the pristine white walls? It looked like a condo complex in those corridors, not a creepy, crumbling Gothic castle. Eeesh!

Still, I enjoyed the darker aspects of it, there were some genuinely creep moments and the story had a reasonably fresh take on the Dracula mythos, which was cool.

It was neat to see Young Indy get his first glimpse of the supernatural and they did a good job in integrating it into the WWI setting.

There were some nice comic touches like Indy's insistence in climbing up the grappling hook.

All in all, a decent episode, but definitely compromised (as, I'm afraid, the vast majority of YIJ product is in one respect or another.)
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
^ Vampires don't fit in with Indy? Who the heck said that?
Someone actually said that. I kid you not. It's TRUE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
I have relatives that come from that area between Hungary and Romania, best known as Transylvania, an area of land that's been fought over between the Hungarians and Romanians for a very long time, so for all we know, I could be part vampire, ).
You could put frangipanis on your coffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Bell
Like others have mentioned, I enjoyed the Temple of Doom feel of this one. Creepy stuff.
Yeah, it's the blood-letting scene in the tower that does it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
I only recently watched this episode for the first time, somehow I missed it during its initial run.
-snip-
However, the Transylvania part was mildly entertaining, if not great.
"Transylvania" was 1 of the 4 episodes that didn't air in the U.S. so that might be the reason you missed it? As for being "great", I think that's a big compliment from a discriminating, hard-sell fan such as yourself. Glad you enjoyed it, Lance! It gets better with each viewing.

Another part I really like is the delivered box of dismembered body parts and then, later, the 3 men are seen missing their respective pieces.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #46
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Someone actually said that. I kid you not. It's TRUE!!!

You could put frangipanis on your coffin.

Already did. And taped the YIJC map to the coffin too....

Ok. Spill. WHO said it? Would I be right if it were a certain TRUE FAN?

Also note that I do actually have the "Masks of Evil" sticker on the map. It marks out Istanbul.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #47
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Just watched 'Masks of Evil' - as I've been watching the DVDs in order I knew this one was coming, but couldn't imagine how it was going to fit in.

In terms of Indiana Jones the supernatural elements are to be expected. However, in terms of Young Indy, the emphasis until this point has really been educational and historical. 'Masks of Evil' is a complete shock when taken in the context of all the preceding episodes. It appears quite suddenly, as if from nowhere, and is as absurd as the Kafka episode. In fact, 'Masks' could be described as Kafkaesque, with Indy trying to rationalize every strange occurence, and refusing to believe at first that he is experiencing the supernatural.

It was in places full-on horror, with impaled corpses, blood seeping through the ceiling, a pair of burnt lower legs complete with blackened broken bones, the body parts in the box, and so on. More graphic than 'Raiders', and even rivalling the uncensored version of Mola's Ram's method of heart extraction.

This episode is an anomaly, but a good anomaly at that.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #48
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Just watched 'Masks of Evil' - as I've been watching the DVDs in order I knew this one was coming, but couldn't imagine how it was going to fit in.

This episode is an anomaly, but a good anomaly at that.

Laird discusses this very subject, and Curse of the Jackal/ My First Adventure in this weeks IndyCast (93). Some behind the scenes content too...

There's a lot of establishing shots, walking and such, bu the sets and locations were pretty nice. The music was great...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #49
lairdo
IndyFan

Yep I do. Love to hear everyone's thoughts on the content so I can enhance future segments.

Montana, you'll find I completely agree with you and have a way to look at it.
lairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #50
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
Montana, you'll find I completely agree with you and have a way to look at it.

Laird, I just listened to your comments on Indy Cast 93, and they add another facet. I never watched the original Young Indy on TV, apart from bits here and there, as they didn't interest me at the time. So, when the DVDs came out I didn't have an opinion on the missing bookends - but seeing 'Masks/Transylvania' in its original context as a ghost story gave it the option of being one of Indy's tall stories, and therefore better placed within the Young Indy series.

The way this episode now plays there is no doubt as to whether this was actual Indy history or an Indy ghost story. In its new format it appears misplaced amid the educational/historical nature of the surrounding episodes. If it was an actual part of Indy chronology, killing Vlad would be a defining moment in his biography, a genuine supernatural experience, yet it doesn't seem to have any lingering effect on him. Which implies that maybe this was an event that did not actually occur, but was invented by the older Indy.

Taking it to the extreme, you could even argue that the whole of Indy's incredible life-story, including the events in the movies, could be the tall tales told by an old man inventing his own history - that at least would explain his miraculous escapes, including the fridge!

In effect this was what Lucas was really doing - telling impossible stories, inspired by the impossible events of the cliffhanger pulps. It's stylistic, rather than naturalistic - and that's what makes it a great playground for adventure.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote