IndyFan

and British Honduras
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #77
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Oh, I like those fangs because they are Nosferatu-style and not the typical kind that are often depitcted.

They work well on a Nosferatu-like vampire -- they're more in line with a feral looking vampire, than the aristocratic Dracula.

Quote:
You probably know more about this than I but isn't the 1923 date just the "official" change? It's my understanding that people were already calling it Istanbul before 1923 since it literally means, "In the city".

From what I recall, the Greek on which the name derives, translates to "in the city," "to the city," or "downtown." So when they were using the expression "is tan ˈpolin", it's to this latter translation I have always felt they were referring to. During the time period, this would indicate that area around The Golden Horn where the Topkapi Sarayi, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, etc. were located. In short, the cultural, political, religious and commercial center of the Ottoman Empire. It's similar to the difference between Manhattan & New York City.

On a related note, I don't have specifics at hand, but I believe a significant amount of the development on the Anatolian side of the Bosphorus is a fairly modern development. Duh, right? For some reason Turks love their pre-fab & concrete apartment buildings, and have let all those rad Ottoman mansions go to pot. I could get one for a hundred and change.

Quote:
Here' an interesting tidbit: The boat trip "red line montage" in "Travels With Father" was modified for the DVD! Istanbul is marked on the map in the TV version but changed to Constantinople. An extra stop in Greece was also added. So, the difference in the map sequence goes like this:

T.V.: Odessa > Istanbul > Athens
DVD: Odessa > Constantinople > Thessalonike > Athens

Since this modification was made and all the title/date cards were removed from the VHS/DVDs, the 1st half of "Masks of Evil" doesn't necessarily take place in "Istanbul" anymore.

Interesting! Odd thing is, I am almost certain that route is an actual ferry route that's in service today. I'll need to dig out my ferry schedule, but it makes perfect sense from a historical perspective. Though, I'm nearly certain that they filmed in Istanbul; the architecture doesn't quite match anywhere else.

Quote:
"Young" Peter Firth?! He's OLD in this episode!

Okay, okay! A younger Peter Firth than I'm used to. I'm only conscious of his work in Spooks so anything that he has hair in makes 'im seem young. I'll definitely add "Aces High" to my list of movies to watch.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 03-23-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #78
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
Or even 'Ottoman Empire' if we are going to stay in the same tone and be as broad as 'British East Africa'. But perhaps 'Anatolia' would have been best.

It's splitting hairs, but British East Africa encompassed roughly the same area as present-day Kenya. In the context of that episode, it's fine because Indy ranges over a large swath of said area. Ottoman Empire would be apt if Indy also ranged over the Empire, but he was geographically constrained to Istanbul/Constantinople. Anatolia would be an interesting choice, but also incorrect --Istanbul is also on the Thracian side of the Bosporus. If we're going with the idea that Istanbul corresponds to downtown, then definitely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joose
It may also have had to do with the fact that most people in the intended audience would not know where the Ottoman Empire or Anatolia were, but they would know where Istanbul was.

There's an interesting idea in this statement - and it's something I've been thinking about lately for the genre at large. Is the genre obligated to impart some measure of edu-tainment, or is it okay to cater to publi expectations, wrong or otherwise?
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #79
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Constantinople vs Istanbul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
But if you look at it as a story told by an older Indy looking back, the name Istanbul does make sense.

Except that this episode never had Old Indy bookends.

I recently watched it again and it prompted further historical research and some minor revisions to my Instruments of Chaos adaptation.

Besides the Constantinople/Istanbul discrepancy, Stephan refers to Ankara, which I believe was still known as Angora at the time. Although that could be a pronunciation thing, since he speaks with a supposedly Bulgarian accent.

Phil
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #80
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
And don't forget Burma!

(Plus all the Balkan countries now.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
...and Czechoslovakia, which came and went. And Siam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
and British Honduras
...or Indy's adventure in "Palestine, October 1917" which doesn't exist anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
They work well on a Nosferatu-like vampire -- they're more in line with a feral looking vampire, than the aristocratic Dracula.
I'm just glad they took a different route for the look of the main vampire and can't stop praising Bob Peck as Vlad. When I found out that he was the same actor who had played the raptor keeper in "Jurassic Park", I was floored!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Sabouteur
Though, I'm nearly certain that they filmed in Istanbul; the architecture doesn't quite match anywhere else.
It was indeed. Check out post #15 of this thread: Masks of Evil (Istanbul) for some details (where this discussion would be a bit more appropriate...but it's a little late for that). Thanks for all the other info on Istanbul, Sab.

For fun, maybe I'll make a replacement for the title card reading, "Constantinople, September 1918".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
Besides the Constantinople/Istanbul discrepancy, Stephan refers to Ankara, which I believe was still known as Angora at the time. Although that could be a pronunciation thing, since he speaks with a supposedly Bulgarian accent.
Yes, Phil. I was going to bring this up, too. Would love to know what went on there. Many months ago, I checked the subtitles and they say, 'Ankara'.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #81
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
...or Indy's adventure in "Palestine, October 1917" which doesn't exist anymore.
I'm just glad they took a different route for the look of the main vampire and can't stop praising Bob Peck as Vlad. When I found out that he was the same actor who had played the raptor keeper in "Jurassic Park", I was floored!
It was indeed. Check out post #15 of this thread: Masks of Evil (Istanbul) for some details (where this discussion would be a bit more appropriate...but it's a little late for that). Thanks for all the other info on Istanbul, Sab.

For fun, maybe I'll make a replacement for the title card reading, "Constantinople, September 1918".
Yes, Phil. I was going to bring this up, too. Would love to know what went on there. Many months ago, I checked the subtitles and they say, 'Ankara'.

I can't believe the guy who played Robert Muldoon from Jurassic Park was Vlad the Impalar in Masks of Evil. Sometimes you watch things and you notice a guy looks familar but I had no idea that was the same actor. I actually dressed up as Robert Muldoon as a kid, he was one of my favorite characters from Jurassic Park.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #82
CairoJones
IndyFan

I loved this episode I thought it was great. This episode is also teaching about history to because of the crazy Romanian that was called Vlad the Impaler.It did seem out of place in the series though.
CairoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #83
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoJones
I loved this episode I thought it was great. This episode is also teaching about history to because of the crazy Romanian that was called Vlad the Impaler.It did seem out of place in the series though.

The life of the real Vlad is a fascinating one, and if you want to learn more I'd recommend the book, In Search of Dracula, by Radu Florescu and Raymond T. McNally. Europe in the fifteenth century was both politically complex and brutal. Vlad was a psychopath, yet he was also one of the few leaders who stood up to the Moslem invasion, and was in the end left high and dry when the other European leaders refused to get involved.

It's no wonder that Bram Stoker found inspiration in Vlad's gruesome story.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #84
Montana Smith
IndyFan

EDIT to the above post:

I remembered this morning that Dracula: Prince of Many Faces, by Radu Florescu and Raymond T. McNally, is the better of their books (if anyone's interested!)
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #85
Raiders112390
IndyFan

SPF seems very ''Indy-ish'' in this one. The snappy, sarcastic dialogue, especially toward the end, along with the cockiness in the beginning ("Since when have you known me to lose a bet?") kind of hint at the older, more hardened Indy of the '30s. This story is I would say very important in Indy's life--not only is it his first brush with the supernatural but his first adult brush with love and tragedy.

By the way it seems as if Indy gets stabbed in the same spot he gets shot in in Raiders.

Last edited by Raiders112390 : 04-18-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #86
Raiders112390
IndyFan

I know this episode gets some flack but I don't understand it....For me it's a very important moment in Indy's life, even though he doesn't understand it...His first brush with the supernatural. And the whole movie (Masks of Evil, both Transylvania and Istanbul) has the darkest tone of any movie in the whole series outside of Temple of Doom.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #87
lairdo
IndyFan

I agree with the theme of your post, but I just feel Trans is uneven. Indy's heroism is purely physical - he's more of a tank than anything else.

But that being said, I have always liked Istanbul from the day I read the script. It's tragic and touching with great scenery. Plus, the supporting cast is quite strong.

But it's good to have various opinions.
lairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #88
Demitasse
IndyFan

Re: Istanbul

Who was the actress that played Molly? Katherine Butler?
She was never in anything before or since... Wonder if she was related to the producer or something!
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #89
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
Who was the actress that played Molly? Katherine Butler?
She was never in anything before or since... Wonder if she was related to the producer or something!

Well, that's the right actress, but I have no idea what else she did. There is a writer by the same name, so I wonder if that is the same person and just misconnected in IMDB? (Of course, there were a lot of other woman listed too in various positions.)

I do recall she came to the Ranch to do some looping although I don't think I met her.

No idea if she is related to anyone.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #90
Attila the Professor

She could have been a stage actress who ended up getting the part but never managed anything else on film. With that said, a pretty perfunctory googling didn't turn up anything.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #91
lairdo
IndyFan

That episode was filmed in Eastern Europe, so it's possible she was an actress from Europe (likely the UK or an American living in Europe). That may explain why we cannot find anything.

I thought on the whole she did a pretty good job in the role.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #92
Demitasse
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
That episode was filmed in Eastern Europe, so it's possible she was an actress from Europe (likely the UK or an American living in Europe). That may explain why we cannot find anything.

I thought on the whole she did a pretty good job in the role.

Cool! Thanks lairdo! I definitely enjoyed her performance and I like that her character (in theory) should be a pretty significant "ghost" for Indy...
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #93
Attila the Professor

Was just glancing at the Monkey King script, and came across this:

Quote:
The same crazed LAUGH of a man echoes through the crypt. A CHILLED
Indy TURNS BACK to the door. He is startled to find the crypt door
COVERED WITH A THICK SHEET OF ICE!

Indy REACHES OUT. He TOUCHES the sparkling, green ice. He SNAPS back
his hand. His fingers are BURNT.

INT. BASEMENT

MacGowan and Galbraith are OUTSIDE of the crypt door. They PULL at the
door's metal handles. Trying to OPEN IT. But the door WON'T MOVE.
MacGowan CALLS through the door.

MACGOWAN
Doctor Jones! Try to push!

INT. CRYPT

Indy ANSWERS, taking a STEP BACK.

INDIANA
Can't! There's some kinda' hot ice
coverin' the...

Looks like another piece of that script made it to film anyway?
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote