TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
MDew
IndyFan

I'm just starting to get the hang of the Google Sites editor, but I thought this would be an easier way to organize & update the information:
Check it out!
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
MDew
IndyFan

Many new developments recently - I'm still making headway slowly...
Stay tuned, next week I will hopefully have some big news to report!
Yet another link to the site!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #28
MDew
IndyFan

A little teaser of recent developments, in case anybody's interested. To see the rest, go check out the site (the map is getting HUGE)!

Edison Labs:

Northern Italy town:

Barcelona alley:

Barcelona/New York theater:

Church square in Petrograd:

Targo's castle:

French Intel HQ:

Indy & Eliot's dorm:

'Trenches' prison:

Villa's train:

Oxford street:

Barcelona theatre:

Archduke's castle:

The exciting discovery to me is that most of the locations I've found are accessible to the public (inside & outside), as most are museums or historical sites. I think a Young Indy-inspired Europe trip is in the future...
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #29
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Whoah... awesome. The site updates are incredible! I'm gobsmacked!
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
Joosse
IndyFan

This site is amazing!

What a labour of love.

Thank you for this!
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #31
Sarika
IndyFan

I have to agree, with everyone, this is fabulous, and fascinating to say the least.
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #32
T.E.Lawrence
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
I thought it would be cool to figure out where some of the existing real-world locations are from the show, that's something that's hard to find information on. I know much of the interiors were created on stages, so the main goal is the exterior locations (that aren't matte paintings). It's fairly easy to find a list of cities & countries they filmed in but how about some specific locales? Some are obvious (Great Wall of China, Pyramids in Egypt, duh..) but others will take some research. I've started taking a bunch of screens from the show for research purposes, which maybe I'll put up on a page for reference.
I started a Google Map that we can collaborate on as we find places. I've added a few to get the ball rolling:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...18a76a&t=h&z=3

MDew - what a fantastic idea, fantastic site and fantastic thread
The Alternative is Unthinkable
T.E.Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #33
Moedred
Administrator

Shooting Schedule

From the Cinema of George Lucas, here's the shooting schedule.
Quote:
SERIES I
MAY 13-31, 1991: Shepperton Studios, London, England
JUNE 2-17: London, England (London 1916)
JUNE 25-29: Oxford, England (London 1916)
JUNE 30- JULY 1: South Wales, England (China 1910)
JULY 1-6: Prague, Czechoslovakia (Spain 1917)
JULY 9-14: Egypt (Egypt MOW)
JULY 15-24: Barcelona, Spain (Spain 1917 and Mexico MOW)
JULY 27-30: Almeria, Spain (Egypt MOW)
JULY 31- AUGUST 14: Almeria (Mexico MOW)
AUGUST 20-SEPTEMBER 9: Tana River, Kenya, Africa (Congo 1917/BEA 1909/GEA 1916)
SEPTEMBER 12- OCTOBER 12: Nairobi, Africa (Congo 1917/BEA 1909/GEA 1916)
OCTOBER 21- NOVEMBER 7: Prague, Czechoslovakia (Verdun 1916)
NOTE: During all shoots in Prague, interiors were often shot at Barrandov Film Studios.
NOVEMBER 3-15: Shanghai & Beijing, China (China 1910)
NOVEMBER 11-DECEMBER 3: Wilmington, North Carolina-Bookends Studio Shoot
NOVEMBER 25, 1991-MARCH 20, 1992: Prague, Czechoslovakia (with interruptions, various Episodes)
JANUARY 25-26, 1992: Switzerland (Location shoot)
FEBRUARY 3-4: Stockholm, Sweden (Vienna 1908)
FEBRUARY 23-MARCH 12: Benares, India (India 1910)
MARCH 10: Germany (Somme 1916/Germany 1916)
MARCH 14: Vienna, Austria (Vienna 1908)
MARCH 15: Slovakia (Location shoot)
MARCH 18-19: Paris, France (Paris 1908 & 1916)
MARCH 21-22: St. Petersburg, Russia (Russia 1917)
MARCH 21-25: Prague Pick-ups for miscellaneous episodes
SERIES II
MAY 13- AUGUST 27, 1992: Carolco Studios, Wilmington, North Carolina (location and studio shoot for bookends, Princeton 1916, Chicago 1920, New York MOW)
SBTEMBER 1-23: Dublin, Ireland (Ireland 1916 and miscellaneous episodes)
SEPTEMBER 30- OCTOBER 22: Tre Cime/Tomo/Feltre/Sospirolo, Italy (Northern Italy 1918)
OCTOBER 25-29: Florence, Italy (Florence 1908)
OCTOBER 29-30: Pisa, Italy (Florence 1908)
NOVEMBER 4-DECEMBER 16: Taita Hills/Mambrui/Ngong Hills/Lukenya/Hopcraft Ranch, Kenya, Africa (BEA/GEA 1916)
DECEMBER 19-20: Jackson Hole, Wyoming (Harrison Ford Bookends for Chicago 1920)
JANUARY 5-FEBRUARY 3, 1993: Istanbul, Turkey (Istanbul 1918)
FEBRUARY 4-21: Cesme/Manisa,Turkey (Beersheba 1917)
February 22-April 21: Prague & Brno, Czechoslovakia (location shoot for Transylvania 1918/Germany 1916/Paris 1919/Prague 1917/miscellaneous episodes)
SERIES III
JANUARY 17-FEBRUARY 23, 1994: Ventura/Fillmore, California (Hollywood Follies)
MARCH 1-APRIL 3: Bangkok/Phuket Thailand (Treasure of the Peacock's Eye)
APRIL 20- JUNE 5: Prague, Czechoslovakia (Attack of the Hawkmen and Travels with Father)
JUNE 4-17: Meteora/Delphi/Athens, Greece (Travels with Fatter)
JUNE 11-DECEMBER 20: Marin County, California; Huntsville, Alabama; Portland, Oregon; Esparta, California (aircraft and miniature work for Attack of the Hawkmen)
JULY 28- AUGUST 10: Wilmington, North Carolina (Pickups/Connectors)
MAY 18- JUNE 4, 1995: London, England (Pick-ups/Connectors)
FEBRUARY 28-MAY 12, 1996: Morocco (Morocco/Tangiers connectors)
AUGUST 22, 1997: Tunisia, during location shoot for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (Pick-up for Egypt video movie)
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #34
MDew
IndyFan

Whoa! That's awesome, thanks for sharing Moedred! That's actually exactly what I've been looking for, it will really help narrow down where each episode was shot. I've just started back working on this again after a little hiatus so this will help out big time. I've also initiated contact with a few of the crew members, so hopefully that pans out. BTW, check out the site again if ya'll are interested - a lot more has been added. The Google Map is getting HUGE!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #35
Stoo
IndyFan

This information is FANTASTIC not just for the locations but for the dates. (JuniorJones posted a scan of that page in the "Digital Versions" thread but it was low-res and the text was hard to read.)

Thanks, Moedred, for taking the time to type it out. Saved me much trouble!

@MDew: I was in Barcelona again this past spring and found some more specific spots. Also few months ago I was in Florence (& Pisa too), and found a couple of locations. Will let you know exactly where when I have more time. Happy Holidays to you!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #36
MDew
IndyFan

Good deal Stoo, I could definitely use the help. Another interesting tidbit - it appears portions of Vienna & Paris 1908 were filmed in Stockholm...
Just got an email this morning from Robert Trebor, who played "Schwarz" in Scandal of 1920!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #37
MDew
IndyFan

Well, here's the big one I've been holding out on until I could confirm its validity:
https://sites.google.com/site/filmin...e/journal-blog
Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #38
Stoo
IndyFan

MDew, you are nuts and I love it. Not sure how many other people care but your work is much appreciated by people like myself. You've gone above & beyond the call of duty and your efforts are commendable. So...the backlot location for the Chicago streets scenes in "Mystery of the Blues" has been permanently wiped from the face of the earth...

Fantastic discovery. Hats off to Mr. Mountain Dew!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #39
Demitasse
IndyFan

Yeah! Wow, I second Stoo's comments. Seriously-- if there were post-graduate degrees available for YIJC, with all the hard research you guys put into this stuff- many of you would be on your second or third post-docs by now!! It would be great to compile all this stuff into a huge sourcebook someday. Wish I could make more of a contribution myself, but I really do appreciate all the hard work you fellas put into this stuff.
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #40
MDew
IndyFan

Thanks guys, it feels good to finally lay those locations to rest. I just crossed off a big chunk of the "wanted" list. Just too bad its not there anymore
I agree that a sourcebook would be a cool idea, I've been thinking of putting together Wilmington and Prague specific guides once I get further along. As for "Dr." Dew - I like the sound of that...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #41
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Well, here's the big one I've been holding out on until I could confirm its validity:
https://sites.google.com/site/filmin...e/journal-blog
Great site! Is it your work? Thanks for sharing...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
This information is FANTASTIC not just for the locations but for the dates. (JuniorJones posted a scan of that page in the "Digital Versions" thread but it was low-res and the text was hard to read.)

Thanks, Moedred, for taking the time to type it out. Saved me much trouble!

@MDew: I was in Barcelona again this past spring and found some more specific spots. Also few months ago I was in Florence (& Pisa too), and found a couple of locations. Will let you know exactly where when I have more time. Happy Holidays to you!
Any others you can share Stoo? I will be going to Europe in a few weeks, including Barcelona and Florence/Pisa. Do you have any areas I could check out other than the obvious ones (major sites and landmarks).
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #43
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I just crossed off a big chunk of the "wanted" list.
I also like Demitasse's idea of a sourcebook. What else is on your "wanted list", MDew?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
Any others you can share Stoo? I will be going to Europe in a few weeks, including Barcelona and Florence/Pisa. Do you have any areas I could check out other than the obvious ones (major sites and landmarks).
There are a few more things that I've been meaning to post in this thread but have been too distracted. MDew has done such a FANTASTIC job and covered a lot of ground but there are some missing spots that I could help him with. Thanks for the reminder...

Suggestions for visiting others areas would be more appropriate for the "Globe-trotting" section. I've always wanted to start a general thread on Italy (and Spain) so maybe now is the right time!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #44
MDew
IndyFan

Quote:
What else is on your "wanted list", MDew?
It's a looonnng list:
http://www.youngindylocations.com/MIAlocations

There are quite a few more I need to add to it too, especially if you've found some more from the Florence episode.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
It's a looonnng list:
Yeesh, Doctor Dew. I checked out your want list and it is indeed lo-o-o-ong. While I haven't be able to precisely pin-point anything yet, your photos are very helpful. (Barcelona, Florence, London, Paris and Prague will be my main areas of concentration. Apparently filming was also done in Budapest and I've been there, too.)

In your Paris 1908 want list: "Staircase 2" and "Stairway" are the exact, same place. This is SOMEWHERE in the Montmartre area, leading down from the Sacré-Coeur Basilica, which sits on top of Montmartre. (The REAL location of Au Lapin Agile is on the same hill.) I've found many staircases on Google Maps but nothing that matches...Not yet...

A tiny tip for Paris locations: On many of the buildings you can see small blue squares. These are the address numbers. If you have a zoom function on your TV or DVD player you might be able to read them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
JANUARY 25-26, 1992: Switzerland (Location shoot)
The DVD Press Kit says that shooting was done in Interlaken, Switzerland. I've been to the area a few times and this location could have been used for the opening shots of the Alps for the Northern Italy segments. If that's the case, technically, it's slightly SOUTH of Interlaken somewhere around Lauterbrunnen Valley.

It must be said that MDew's website is EXCEPTIONAL! Truly a class act.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #46
MDew
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeesh, Doctor Dew. I checked out your want list and it is indeed lo-o-o-ong.

That's not even everything, it cut me off at the 500 mark! So basically, if you see a shot in an episode that I haven't posted yet...it's yet to be found.

Quote:
In your Paris 1908 want list: "Staircase 2" and "Stairway" are the exact, same place.

Yep, you're right. I forgot to take that off the list - I actually found it and its in Prague, just down the hill from Prague Castle. That's probably why you're having troubles finding it in Paris!

Quote:
The DVD Press Kit says that shooting was done in Interlaken, Switzerland.

That is very possible, I've gone through loads of images of the Dolomites trying to find peaks that match with no luck. Switzerland is just right there, so it makes sense. I'd really like to find out about the location for the mountaintop trenches & tunnel because many of those WWI tunnels are open to exploring!

Quote:
It must be said that MDew's website is EXCEPTIONAL! Truly a class act.

Thank you sir, I'm glad to have your help on this!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #47
Exulted Unicron
IndyFan

My grandparents live in Spain, not far from Fort Bravo. Next time I'm over there, I'll see if I can get over there. It looks like it might be interesting to visit
Exulted Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #48
MDew
IndyFan

Locations page updates

BTW, I've still been slowly picking away at finding the Young Indy locations and have added quite a few new finds on there recently...check it out here.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #49
InexorableTash
IndyFan

MDew - is the site still up? The links above are dead.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #50
MDew
IndyFan

Yup it's still up, I just renamed the main page a while back (not realizing it would mess up all the links). Sorry for the confusion. Here's the new link:
https://sites.google.com/site/youngindyfilmlocations/