Rocket Surgeon

If the horse under the truck counts...

...then Spalko was at the Inauguration:

Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #52
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

If Spalko was at the Inauguration...

...Toht was the former Prime Minister of Australia.

JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #53
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
Attila the Professor

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Nuketown

The AV Club's offshoot, The Gameological Society, brings us this:

Quote:
In a strange case of art imitating art that imitates life, the Call Of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer map “Nuketown” was inspired by Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, which itself was based on a real historic event. Black Ops’ game designer/director David Vonderhaar is on the record saying the popular map is based on a throwaway scene from the 2008 sequel in which Indy wanders onto the grounds of a nuclear test site town and discovers that he must find a way to escape an impending blast. The sequence descends further into the realm of implausibility as the aging adventurer manages to hide in a refrigerator seconds before the explosion. He’s tossed hundreds of yards away to safety while everything around him evaporates.

I once assumed that the nuclear test town–the central conceit behind that scene and Nuketown—was a fake, an idea cooked up by some hacky screenwriter overreaching for a visual metaphor that represented America’s free-floating Cold War hysteria and the illusory nature of the conformist 1950s. But it’s true, the U.S. military really did create a faux village called Survival Town and nuked its quaint suburban houses and mannequin residents to holy hell.

More, including screenshots, at the link.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #55
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Who's line is it anyway?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
Rocket Surgeon

Most recent of many times...

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Stephen Colbert mocked big banks in his Comedy Central show on Feb. 14, raising concerns about why institutions are still "too big to fail," and suggesting that viewing Wells Fargo's balance sheet could melt a person's face.

As he often does, Colbert pretended to like big banks, saying that liberals should let go of their anger stemming from the financial crisis.

"At this point, who can even remember who wired the global financial system to a roulette wheel jacked up on enough cocaine to bring down a bison?" Colbert asked.

He then suggested the government shouldn't prosecute financial institutions for their role in the crisis, saying that he believed "an investigation will just make things worse."

"I don't think the banks are in any financial position to reveal what kind of financial position they're in," Colbert said. "Take Wells Fargo. Their recent annual report said the bank's value is partly based on 'significant assumptions not observable in the market.'

"That means the value of the largest capitalized bank in the United States defies observation. The human mind cannot perceive it; we dare not look upon it. Remember what happened to the accountants who opened Lehman Brothers' books."

The latter comment was followed up with a video of the ending of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in which a Nazi's face melts after opening the Ark of the Covenant.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #57
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I just watched the Spaghetti Eastern Way of the Dragon again. It was an extra trailer on the disc that jogged my memory about another Indy reference:

Jackie Chan's Armour of God. A film that has may only have been mentioned here twice. I remember thinking of Indy the first time I saw it on TV.

In the trailer itself Jackie's moving behind a rolling drum for cover à la Indy and the gong in TOD.

There was more, besides the treasure hunt itself, but it's been so many years since I saw it in full.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #58
Goonie
IndyFan

Watched a lot of Harlem Shakes, and so far, have not spotted any involvement from our man Indy...
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #59
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Watched a lot of Harlem Shakes, and so far, have not spotted any involvement from our man Indy...

Watched Less Than Zero again and didn't spot Indy there either...

He was mentioned on the most recent American Pickers though...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
Rocket Surgeon

Apple Debuts Hollywood iPad Commercial

Give it about 25 seconds...

Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #61
Stoo
IndyFan

Dig The Flintstones!

26 years after their debut in 1960...

1986 - Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble in "Raiders of the Fruity Pebbles"

Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones! They're you're happy stone-age family!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #62
michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Give it about 25 seconds...

This was awesome. Did you also hear the Raiders March when they came back from a commercial on the Oscars?
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #63
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
This was awesome. Did you also hear the Raiders March when they came back from a commercial on the Oscars?
Let me tell you, E.T. was really moving...I wondered if it was "canned."

Jaws as the "time-up" music was pretty funny.

I caught Luke and Leia but started to use my DVR to jump between the three hour SNL retrospective to kill the commercials and (selected musical numbers) I ended up missing it completely.

I still haven't deleted it and caught it last night...so thanks for asking!

I was a bit disappointed though, is it so difficulty to hammer out The Raiders March?

Lawrence of Arabia sounded perfect...I don't remember any of the other musical numbers which were "interpreted".

Oh, the comercial leading into The Raiders March was a time check sponsored by TD Bank...FYI: it was at 10:38.

What did you think of it?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #64
michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Hearing the Raiders March any time is pleasant, I actually fist pumped when I heard it.

The Jaws theme was perfect for the gtfo the stage.

They really played the Luke & Leia theme? I totally missed that.

Hey Rocket, remember what I can always say...

Temple of Doom is an Academy Award Winning Movie.

love it.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #65
russds
IndyFan

Quote:
love it.
I was glad they used that scene for the ipad commercial, such a great scene from a great (often under rated) movie.

russds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #66
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
They really played the Luke & Leia theme? I totally missed that.
It was excellent...not as exciting as the ET Theme though.

I really got a charge out of that one.

Quote:
Hey Rocket, remember what I can always say...

love it.

Yeah, yeah you can but so is Chariots of Fire, Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman and Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump...

Its almost better that Raiders didn't win!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #67
I.M.J.
IndyFan

Here's one that many people may not remember: in season one of Captain N The Game Master (an 80's cartoon featuring a conglomeration of Nintendo properties), episode 3 or 4 has a vignette featuring Donkey Kong as "Donkey Kong Jones" (or something close to that) complete with the Indy font, and Donkey Kong basically re-enacting the entire opening of Raiders and the Boulder Chase scene while in safari-somewhat Indy gear.
I.M.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #68
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Over the last couple of weeks I watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead - an excellent series, but that's for another thread.

In one episode Daryl calls Glenn "Short Round".

I haven't read the comics, but in a DVD extra Steven Yeun, the actor playing Glenn, held up a Walking Dead comic for comparison:

Does this belong in the Indiana Jones: Racist thread?

Quote:
‘Walking Dead’ Star Steven Yeun on Resisting Asian Stereotypes

By Daniel Lehman | Posted Oct. 13, 2012, 2:01 p.m.

Within months of moving from Chicago to L.A. to pursue his acting dreams, Steven Yeun was running from brain-eating zombies on the AMC series “The Walking Dead.” But the newbie was understandably nervous when he started preparing for his first major television role.

“When I moved to L.A. and I booked ‘Walking Dead,’ all I could think about was how not to screw it up,” he says. So during the initial wardrobe fitting prior to shooting the show’s first season, Yeun kept it to himself when his outfit reminded him of a certain Asian sidekick from another iconic action franchise.

“They put me in these clothes that made me look like Short Round [from ‘Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom’],” he says, “and I didn’t say anything because I was just like, ‘Oh, don’t make a fuss, even though this is absurd and you look like Short Round.’ Nobody noticed until it aired, and then they all said, ‘Wait a minute, you look like Short Round.’ And I was like, ‘I know!’ But I was too afraid to say anything because I didn’t want to mess it up.” (His costumes have been tweaked since then.)

But years earlier, Yeun had turned down a theater gig because he thought he would be contributing to similar negative stereotypes if he took the role.

“For my first audition ever, in Chicago, the producers of this little show asked me to do an ’80s monologue,” he recalls, “so I came in with Ferris Bueller’s opening monologue. They said, ‘That was good, but can you do an Asian accent?’ ” That’s when Yeun realized they just wanted to see his version of stereotypical “Sixteen Candles” scene stealer Long Duk Dong. “After that, they wanted to book me and I just refused,” Yeun says.

Not that he advises others to turn down jobs. Yeun says he understands why actors often end up in projects they’re not proud of.

“All the power to anybody that takes work, because getting work in this business is hard as hell,” he says. “So you get work and you take it. There’s nothing wrong with that. But for me, I just couldn’t do it. I knew I couldn’t do a good job because I just didn’t believe in it.”

Like his onscreen alter ego, Yeun was born in Korea and moved to Michigan with his family at an early age. Yeun says he feels especially fortunate today to be playing a well-rounded character like Glenn—thankful not just for a prominent role in a hit show but also for the opportunity to portray an Asian-American character who is not defined by his race, ancestry, or accent.

http://www.backstage.com/interview/w...n-stereotypes/
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #69
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Dora the... Wait what?

Awesome on so very many levels:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/68...dallion-part-1

Dora channels Marion, Indy, and a whole lot more.

(I admit, I needed my wife to translate a few of the jokes. I was too busy in the 90's to keep up with kids shows.)
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #70
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
Awesome on so very many levels:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/68...dallion-part-1

Dora channels Marion, Indy, and a whole lot more.

(I admit, I needed my wife to translate a few of the jokes. I was too busy in the 90's to keep up with kids shows.)

That WAS awesome! Love Dora. The cartoon that is but not in a sexual way. No. I reserve that for Daphne...anywaaay...

Fred is getting prepared with game of pocket billards for the next clip...

Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #71
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
That WAS awesome! Love Dora. The cartoon that is but not in a sexual way. No. I reserve that for Daphne...anywaaay...

My wife. Halloween 2009. Purple dress. Red wig. Who's a lucky guy? Me.

College Humor's "Dora" mini-series is now complete.

Original joke trailer: Dora the Explorer and the Infinity Orb

Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion:

Mini-Series Trailer

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

A little more Tomb Raider than Indiana Jones overall, but still fun.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #72
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

I've been going back and forth of which thread to drop this in, and finally opted for this one.

I've been re-watching Digging for the Truth with Josh Bernstein lately. Despite his assertion to the contrary, he was clearly outfitted to recall Indiana Jones. Sure, it isn't exactly a fedora he wears, but it's pretty darn close.

This image certainly doesn't help his case either.

He's affable and a hit with the ladies as well.

And here is mugging for the camera @ The Explorer's Club in New York with the directing duo behind Kon Tiki.

Dr. Jones -- is that you?

Somebody is clearly being overlooked in future casting calls.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #73
ListenLiveLong
IndyFan

If you've ever heard of Homestuck, there's actually two characters who like Indiana Jones and have posters related to it in their rooms.

Did you see them there?
ListenLiveLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #74
Moedred
Administrator

Some game called Queen of Snakes...

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #75
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Ms. Perry has the Eye of the Tiger in her new female empowerment anthem, "Roar." Indiana Jones and Lord Greystoke are cringing in anticipation.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote