Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #76
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Indiana Jones and Lord Greystoke are cringing in anticipation.

While Mutt eyes up a potential new girlfriend.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #77
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
While Mutt eyes up a potential new girlfriend.

Ha! Too funny, Montana! But, Hope he keeps his filthy paws off the pretty Miss Perry.
Used to not mind Shia, and even stood up for him on several occasions. But recently read some British movie mag, talking about a movie directed by either Von Tiers, or Van Sant, that is very explicit in nature, and Shia reportedly taped both He, and his girlfriend having sex, and sent it to the director as an audition tape. And the audition didn't even call for it .

Even if his current girlfriend were cool with it, it still shows a complete lack of character, class, and is a rather desperate move. It also probably shows an attention starved 2nd rate actor's bum! Don't wanna know.

Too bad. Ah well, he's human. Maybe he'll get some class again.... someday.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #78
Vance
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monarch
Too bad. Ah well, he's human. Maybe he'll get some class again.... someday.

Sadly, young actors and actresses are HEAVILY pushed into doing this sort of bull****. If they're lucky, there's someone important in their life that's keeping them from pulling the 'Full Lindsey', but, sadly, more than likely everyone in their life is pushing the 'limits' in order to score quick cash. Shia is in a world where, basically, you're a whore (and this will quickly become nothing) or you're nothing in the first place.

Shia had potential, but he's already gone the garbage route. Hard to imagine him getting ahead of the game again unless he lucks into a huge role... but nobody's seeking him out anymore.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #79
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
, more than likely everyone in their life is pushing the 'limits' in order to score quick cash. Shia is in a world where, basically, you're a whore (and this will quickly become nothing) or you're nothing in the first place.

For every Shia, there is an Emma Watson counterpart. It's still comes down to choice by the individual actor. Mind you I'm not saying it's easy to stay 'clean' in Hollywood, but it's not exactly impossible either. And you can have success and respect, too.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #80
Vance
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
For every Shia, there is an Emma Watson counterpart. It's still comes down to choice by the individual actor. Mind you I'm not saying it's easy to stay 'clean' in Hollywood, but it's not exactly impossible either. And you can have success and respect, too.

It's possible, but you really really need people who will watch out for you as well and keep you employed. Otherwise, yeah, it's a pretty damn fast road to self destruction. (And, yes, you get Emma Watson, but look at Daniel Radcliffe!)

And, I said, it's all too often that you'll get agents, producers, even family, that are FAR more interested in maxing out a young person's bankroll for a year or two than what's really best for them. For every Emma, there are dozens of Lindsey Lohans... most of them just never made their initial break in the first place. :S
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #81
Montana Smith
IndyFan

All I can say on that subject at the moment is that Shia played the perfect nerd in The Transformers series. He was a natural.

And in other news, I've paused Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare. There was a Temple of Doom style rope bridge cliffhanger, and almost, but not quite, a cliff slammer.

And I notice that russds posted a shot of Indy on the bridge, while JuniorJones posted one of Fred Jones.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #82
kongisking
IndyFan

Nice to see some Emma Watson love here, guys.

As for Shia, what he really needs is a role that takes him to a completely different place, that really tests his talent, and forces him to bare everything and prove once and for all that he's a man, not a jumped-up little boy.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #83
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
As for Shia, what he really needs is...to bare everything and prove once and for all that he's a man, not a jumped-up little boy.

He's insisting on a body double for that sort of thing now.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #84
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Indy: "And if you put the staff in a certain place at a certain time of day, the sun shone through here and made beam that came down on the floor here... and gave you the exact location of the Well of the Souls."

Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare:

Daphne Blake: "As dawn breaks on the summer solstice, the steeple will point the way."

At dawn the first rays of sunlight hitting the steeple in Moose Creek project a shaft of light onto the ground, pinpointing the location of the treasure.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #85
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
He's insisting on a body double for that sort of thing now.

Irony vs. Irony, Smiffy?
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #86
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Didn't spot a thread, for Indy references in Movies, so this seemed to be the best place to post this one. Watched G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, again recently, (don't laugh, it's a guilty semi-pleasure,) and I was reminded again, of a scene with the Baroness, when she says to Duke, "Yeah, everybody's sorry for something" I have no doubt, this was influenced by/an intentional tip of the hat to ROTLA. I just wish it felt more natural, and not forced.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #87
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Offered without commentary. Watch through to the end, though.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #88
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Offered without commentary. Watch through to the end, though.

Wow, where to begin....

Interesting....in a real "that truly sucks" kind of way. Cheapo costume is painful to look at (though near the end -- is he wearing Aldens?? A dispensable yet very expensive piece of gear?). "Acting" is terrible. At first I thought, "He didn't even ask those people to move out of the background." Then as it unfolded with the run though the park, people's reactions were good. I actually enjoyed that, and imagined it must have been really funny to see Indy and the boulder (both) run by. However, the "reax from the crowd" bit got old and the chase was way too long. But a boulder with legs is pretty funny. Nice (also expensive) prop idol. If someone has a high end idol and nice boots, wouldn't you assume he'd have a decent hat and/or jacket and/or whip? Still don't get that. Can't imagine it was meant to be that cheap as a comedic element.

Ending....more bad acting, and it didn't get a laugh from me.

I do give him and his team credit for getting off their butts and doing something creative and fun. Obviously put a good bit of effort into the whole thing.

update: Just watched the Mission Report on the "making of." A minute longer, but it was far more interesting and entertaining, and the boulder guys are a lot more likable than Indy.

Last edited by Goodeknight : 10-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #89
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Remember Aqua? Y'know, of "Barbie Girl" fame? Yeah, the group from one of those frigid Scandinavian counties nobody cares about. Yes, the same place where the women are impossibly tall while managing to remain a size zero.

Now that the reintroductions are out of the way, their other big hit is pretty blunt about its homage status.

Enjoy 1997 all over again.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #90
Finn

Quote:
Yeah, the group from one of those frigid Scandinavian counties nobody cares about.
I'm Finn and I approve this message.

Because really, there's only one Nordic country to truly care about. Just go ask Joe Stalin.

Now, if you want to score some real points, say something similar about ABBA.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #91
Pale Horse

Quote:
Remember Aqua? Y'know, of "Barbie Girl" fame? Yeah, the group from one of those frigid Scandinavian counties nobody cares about. Yes, the same place where the women are impossibly tall while managing to remain a size zero.

Now that the reintroductions are out of the way, their other big hit is pretty blunt about its homage status.

Enjoy 1997 all over again.

I have the weirdest ***er right about now.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #92
indyclone25
IndyFan

on general hospital during halloween week , the doctor patrick drake was dressed as indiana jones
http://youtu.be/bDicms3szGE
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #93
lancasterjames
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Now, if you want to score some real points, say something similar about ABBA.

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen!
lancasterjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #94
Montana Smith
IndyFan

After re-watching The Book of Eli again recently (due to near future action figurage) the ending struck me as being pretty much a homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

As in ROTLA we see a dangerous religious object being placed in a secure environment, where it will remain until civilization is capable of dealing with it.

Like the Ark in ROTLA it's both an object of historical significance as well as a potential "weapon" (as Carnegie defines the Bible).

The premise of Eli's journey was that Bibles were destroyed because they were deemed to be the cause of the war. Too significant to destroy, too dangerous not to be locked away.

The connection to ROTLA is all but confirmed here by the Hughes brothers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hughes
But you know, if you look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, you look at that movie and basically you have Harrison Ford trying to preserve a sacred object. Itís a religious artifact. But he saw the historical significance of it, and then so did the Nazis, who wanted it to mess people up. Thatís what that movie was about, and I donít think it seemed preachy. Weíre doing much the same thing. At the same time, Denzelís character has faith but itís personal to him and heís never trying to convert anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Hughes
...Iím also conscious that my brother is more spiritual than I am. Iím more of an atheist but I found my way into this, and itís a fine line you have to walk. Weíre not trying to preach, weíre trying use the book almost as an Alfred Hitchcock MacGuffin. If the good guy has the book heís going to do good stuff, but if a bad guy gets it bad things could happen. We were trying to make a mythology story, and thatís how I treated it. Just like if I was doing Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, and had to make believe about this whole mythology, I bought into this story of violent religion. I think a religious person could come to this and see something spiritual in it, and a non-religious person could get an entirely different thing from it.

http://techland.time.com/2010/01/13/bookofeli/2/
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #95
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Psych's Guide To Crime Fighting For The Totally Unqualified

Yes, a TV-show tie-in book. Whatever. The creators of this amusing series are obsessed with 80's pop culture and have done at least one Indy homage episode.

Quiz on Page 45:

How many Indiana Jones movies are there?

A. one
B. three
C. four
D. thirty-five

Answer:

D - thirty-five. This includes the original trilogy, plus twenty-eight episodes and four TV movies of Young Indiana Jones, all of which were better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I don't even count.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #96
jsarino
IndyFan

I just came across this while I was browsing on Netflix...

http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/1217...de-tadeo-jones

It had all kinds of references to Indiana Jones, as well as Lara Croft/Tomb Raider, and even The Emperor's New Groove. From the fedora (which it was even stated it was Indiana Jones' fedora), the clues and booby traps, the action style all seem to be an inspiration from the IJ films.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #97
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
Everyone should go see Ted. Aside from being very funny, there are a few nods to Indiana Jones in it.

There may actually be references to all the Indy films in Indy-logical order,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jonesy
The main character has a 'Temple of Doom' poster on his wall...

Here's that TOD poster in the bedroom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jonesy
...and Ted reaches in and grabs (spoiler) before the door shuts and there's a musical cue that's the Indy theme.

There's a bit more to that 'ear' gag. The Raiders theme plays as Ted reaches back through the door to retrieve his ear, implying that it's the equivalent of Indy's fedora. Downstairs he finds a stapler and re-attaches his ear, which might be a reference to Harrison's gag while filming The Last Crusade:

And by way of reference to KOTCS, in the kidnappers' basement the father says: “We tried to make do with other teddy bears, but none of them were you, Ted.”
Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #98
Montana Smith
IndyFan

In The Dictator:

"Don't worry. I am Wadiya's number one actor. You don't win four Wadiyan Golden Globes for nothing...My performance in Aladeen Jones and the Temple of Doom was outstanding."

An artist's impression:

And the entire, not so funny, segment:

Last edited by Montana Smith : 05-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #99
Montana Smith
IndyFan

There's a comic book series by Bluewater Productions entitled The Mis-Adventures of Adam West:

Quote:
The Man, The Myth, The Amulet? Legendary star of the small and silver screen, ADAM WEST, has his career youth-enized in this hip-whimsical,trans-dimensional epic of an adventure. When a mysterious fan delivers an exotic amulet to Mr. Westís doorstep he is Dorothy-fied on an odyssey that will change his career, his love life and inadvertently make him the man that saves the universe!

In issue #3 (1st February 2012) Adam got his Indy mojo on:

Old 06-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #100
InexorableTash
IndyFan

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series by noted fanboy Robert Rodriguez, as the gang walks through an ancient mesoamerican temple...

Professor Aiden Tanner: "Their ancestors mapped the stars. They understood the cosmic movements of the galaxies. Some even say that they could communicate with alien races."

Seth Gecko: "Stop. Don't make this any weirder than it already is. I can do Temple of Doom, man. Crystal Skull? I'm out of it."
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote