Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #26
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Not Tarzan specific, but it is thematically related. So, until something more concrete happens, I thought I would drop this off here.
Interestingly enough, "Tarzan Goes to India" (1962) has the Ape Man teaming up with Jai the Elephant Boy. This kid was pretty much a carbon copy of a character from one of the "Jungle Book" stories, Toomai of the Elephants*.

*Five years before the famed child actor, Sabu, played Mowgli in "Jungle Book" (1942), his first role was as Toomai in, "The Elephant Boy" (1937). Both films were Korda productions.
Quote:
One of the small tragedies of the transition from tape to disc is that a lot of flicks once commonly available never made the transition to DVD and now Blu-ray. One of those movies was Disney's live-action of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book* starring Jason Scott Lee as Mowgli. Directed by a young Stephen Sommers, he took a typically kiddified story and turned it into a very entertaining adventure movie featuring all the rich trappings of the British Raj!

* - Turns out it had a very limited run at the dawn of the digital transition and hasn't been seen since. Though, Amazon has a digital download copy available. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and seek it out!
Indeed. The 1994 version of "Jungle Book" is a very good, adventure flick with sumptuous production values. Wonderful music, costumes, set design, etc. and much of it was actually filmed in India. The story becomes quite Indiana-Jones-ish toward the end.

I saw it at the theatre, bought the VHS (with nice, clamshell case) and also burned it onto DVD with an additional bonus feature: a 30 minute, making-of special recorded from the Family Channel back in '94. Here's my own personal disc:

Quote:
In case you missed it, Warner Bros. has officially moved David Yates' reintroduction of Tarzan of the Apes into pre-production status. An official greenlight and full production can't be far behind now!

With Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Margot Robie, and Vampire Eric formally and finally onboard, it looks like that original synopsis might turn out to be truer than anticipated. And with a release date coinciding with the massive July 4th weekend in the States, the studio is clearly intent on big things with this flick!
Great news, except for the Samuel L. Jackson bit. If this version will be taking place during the Victorian era (as reported), then having him as an "ex-mercernary" might just be too politically correct for my tastes. Will have to see how it pans out but I'd prefer to see him ditch his mo'fo accent and stretch his acting abilities as a lead baggage porter or a tribal chief.

Either way, let's hope this thing eventually gets made!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #27
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

With David Yates directing this movie it could be really interesting. I confess that I don't really know much about the mythology of Tarzan, but I'm all for more adventure movies.

When is the movie due to premiere?
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #28
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones VII
When is the movie due to premiere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Either way, let's hope this thing eventually gets made!

July 1st, 2016. So you have plenty of time to acquaint yourself with the 27 books in the ERB cycle, and the roughly one hundred movies already out there!

Just don't expect a movie based on any of the books. A dozen or so people have taken a whack at the script over the years, so specifics are hard to come by at the moment. Full press release here.

Franzetta never could draw an ape worth a damn.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
kongisking
IndyFan

I confess, my primary exposure to the character has been with the Disney film. And I honestly think it still holds up as a really entertaining and touching movie. I'm certainly intrigued by Yates being at the helm (he may have started off rocky with the Potter movies, but by the time we got to Deathly Hallows Part 2, he displayed a skill for juggling epic scale with intense human drama).
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
Djd1
IndyFan

I've read all the original books and really enjoyed them - even though some are quite repetitive. I look forward to a movie that captures the pulp feel of the books.
Djd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:38 AM   #31
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Great news, except for the Samuel L. Jackson bit. If this version will be taking place during the Victorian era (as reported), then having him as an "ex-mercernary" might just be too politically correct for my tastes. Will have to see how it pans out but I'd prefer to see him ditch his mo'fo accent and stretch his acting abilities as a lead baggage porter or a tribal chief.

Well, Stoo, you're getting your tribal chief! Just not in the personage of Mr. Jackson. Instead, the ever reliable Djimon Honsou will be stepping in to fill the role of Chief M'bonga! Fans of the original cycle should be excited for this inclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
And I honestly think it still holds up as a really entertaining and touching movie.

It's a solid adaptation, so no shame in still liking it. That said, I have often considered in establishing a pulp book club here so people can familiarize themselves with the actual stories that started the trend, but a majority of the books are long out of print, so they'd be difficult to come across. Tarzan, however, is readily available in your local bookstore. If anybody is interested, pick up a copy. We'll start reading in, say, a week?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, Stoo, you're getting your tribal chief! Just not in the personage of Mr. Jackson. Instead, the ever reliable Djimon Honsou will be stepping in to fill the role of Chief M'bonga! Fans of the original cycle should be excited for this inclusion.
Not familiar with the actor but that is cool. Unfortunately, the article has Samuel L. Jackson still listed in the cast! If he's part of the expedition, Jackson better be playing a baggage porter. If not, then I wouldn't be surprised if Jane is portrayed as a wise-crackin', gun-totin', martial arts expert.
Quote:
July 1st, 2016. So you have plenty of time to acquaint yourself with the 27 books in the ERB cycle, and the roughly one hundred movies already out there!
I've seen about 50% of the movies but, yeah, I need to read the actual novels.
Quote:
That said, I have often considered in establishing a pulp book club here so people can familiarize themselves with the actual stories that started the trend, but a majority of the books are long out of print, so they'd be difficult to come across. Tarzan, however, is readily available in your local bookstore. If anybody is interested, pick up a copy. We'll start reading in, say, a week?
Give me 2 weeks before I'm back in the English-speaking world to peruse an English bookstore. (Had a copy of the 1st one but lost it lo-o-o-ng ago.)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #33
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Jackson better be playing a baggage porter.
Addendum: Make that 'baggage porter or a guide".
Quote:
And in other more current Tarzan news, there is a new teaser trailer for the Constantin Films animated feature, Tarzan 3D. It looks like the core story (with a few changes) remains intact, but they've updated it to the modern era. No U.S. release date is forthcoming -- the film rights haven't been sold yet -- but it's set to debut in Germany on the 10th of October 2013.
Did a bit of reading up on this one and, apparently, there are dinosaurs in it...as well as an outer-space-alien connection!

---
For those of you who like #7 of Marvel's "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" ("Africa Screams"), check out "Tarzan the Ape Man" (1932) for the awesome hippopotamus attack. It's not just one hippo, it's a bunch of 'em!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 AM   #34
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Did a bit of reading up on this one and, apparently, there are dinosaurs in it...as well as an outer-space-alien connection!

Dinosaurs? Interesting, but not beyond the pale. I'd direct you to the eighth book in ERB's original cycle -- that would be Tarzan the Terrible -- but you would learn something you shouldn't know until you've read the first seven books. So, let's just say that dinosaurs are a well trod path. Very well trod.

---
Quote:
For those of you who like #7 of Marvel's "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" ("Africa Screams"), check out "Tarzan the Ape Man" (1932) for the awesome hippopotamus attack. It's not just one hippo, it's a bunch of 'em!

The one in Congo wasn't half bad either. Speaking of Congo, I sincerely hope they get the Stan Winston Studio to do real ape suits again. Amy was an absolute gem, and they only improved with the Burton Apes remake and Instinct. I can only imagine what they could do with today's technology.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 06-30-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #35
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
I can only imagine what they could do with today's technology.

Ahem...THIS is what we can do with today's technology:

Oh, wait...that was nine years ago. THIS is today's technology:

kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #36
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Ahem...THIS is what we can do with today's technology:

I noted three movies with rather spectacular practical VFX. Specifically, very convincing looking great apes played by actors in suits. To counter, you pulled two examples from the Miracles are Cheap school of filmmaking. Congratulations on completely missing the point, but since you mentioned it: Neither Caesar or Kong look appreciably better than Amy or Mighty Joe Young except for facial features.

But in getting back to the subject at hand...

While everybody was kvetching about the current state of affairs in Hollywoodland, principle filming quietly got underway on Yates' still as yet unnamed Tarzan film. We also have our very first synopsis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner Bros.
It has been years since the man once known as Tarzan left the jungles of Africa behind for a gentrified life as John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke, with his beloved wife, Jane at his side. Now, he has been invited back to the Congo to serve as a trade emissary of Parliament, unaware that he is a pawn in a deadly convergence of greed and revenge, masterminded by the Belgian, Captain Leon Rom. But those behind the murderous plot have no idea what they are about to unleash

Filming is taking place around the UK and Warner's Leavesden studio. John Hurt has been added to the supporting cast, along with Laurence Spellman (The Invisible Woman), Lasco Atkins (Dracula Untold, and Rory J. Saper.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 AM   #37
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

I'm not much into health food. I am into champagne.

Quote:
We also have our very first synopsis:

We also have the very first leaked images from the UK set featuring Paul Freeman Christoph Waltz, Casper Crump, and the impossibly attractive Margot Robbie as Jane Porter. Who appears to be sporting her natural(?) blonde locks. It's not a deal breaker by any measure, but I was hoping that she'd go brunette.

The friendly neighborhood dumpster divers at the Daily Mail have the full set on their site. Before you go clicking through, it needs to be noted that the pictures are incredibly grainy as they aren't official releases. Still, the movie is full into production!

That reminds me: Our Dear Professor was wondering why trailers and other bits & bobs were okay, but not spoilers. The obvious answer is that you don't want every little surprise given away, but you do want to know what you're getting into. In this particular instance though, the look of the film is highly important. And in just these two images I think they've got the costumes and period weaponry correct. That's always a good sign. The next important thing is going to be how well Vampire Eric fits into Lord Greystoke's loincloth...

And for fun, an old essay from Gore Vidal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Vidal
There are so many things the people who take polls never get around to asking. Fascinated as we all are to know what our countrymen think of great issues (approving, disapproving, “don’t-knowing,” with that same shrewd intelligence which made a primeval wilderness bloom with Howard Johnson signs), the pollsters never get around to asking the sort of interesting personal questions our new-Athenians might be able to answer knowledgeably. For instance, how many adults have an adventure serial running in their heads? How many consciously daydream, turning on a story in which the dreamer ceases to be an employee of I.B.M. and becomes a handsome demigod moving through splendid palaces, saving maidens from monsters (or monsters from maidens: this is a jaded time). Most children tell themselves stories in which they figure as powerful figures, enjoying the pleasures not only of the adult world as they conceive it but of a world of wonders unlike dull reality. Although this sort of Mittyesque daydreaming is supposed to cease in maturity, I suggest that more adults than we suspect are bemusedly wandering about with a full Technicolor extravaganza going on in their heads. Clad in tights, rapier in hand, the daydreamers drive their Jaguars at fantastic speeds through a glittering world of adoring love objects, mingling anachronistic histories worlds with science fiction.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #38
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Dinosaurs? Interesting, but not beyond the pale. I'd direct you to the eighth book in ERB's original cycle -- that would be Tarzan the Terrible -- but you would learn something you shouldn't know until you've read the first seven books. So, let's just say that dinosaurs are a well trod path. Very well trod.
O.K. I did not know that. Thanks for enlightening me! (Now that I think of it, the '70s Filmation cartoon series had him encoutering some prehistoric beasts once in awhile.)
Quote:
Speaking of Congo, I sincerely hope they get the Stan Winston Studio to do real ape suits again. Amy was an absolute gem, and they only improved with the Burton Apes remake and Instinct. I can only imagine what they could do with today's technology.
Wholeheartedly agree, except that it was Rick Baker & his team who did Burton's "Apes". To add to your list, Baker also did "Greystoke" and "Gorillas in the Mist". Even so, Stan Winston's ape work was outstanding and I'd much prefer either of those crews to do suits rather than the CG route.
Quote:
Re-posted for its sheer amazing-ness. My only quibble is that everything appears a bit too clean & fresh (riverboat included). This guy's kit could use some more weathering, dirt & moisture stains!

A quick look on the 'net reveals that this movie will have soldiers from the Belgian Force Publique! This makes me even more stoked than before. It's going to a long wait for 2016.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #39
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree, except that it was Rick Baker & his team who did Burton's "Apes". To add to your list, Baker also did "Greystoke" and "Gorillas in the Mist".

You're correct on Baker's team doing the actual work on Burton's "Apes." To be completely pedantic though, Winston was attached to the project for years before getting replaced by Baker once cameras started to roll.

Lord Fatass had a brief look at Winton's makeup tests... years ago.

Quote:
Even so, Stan Winston's ape work was outstanding and I'd much prefer either of those crews to do suits rather than the CG route.

Winston may not be with us anymore, but Master Ape Suit Performer, Tom Woodruff, Jr., is still around (and regularly working). So there's a chance that he could serve as a spiritual successor of sorts! Of course, we don't even know if apes will appear in the movie. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Re-posted for its sheer amazing-ness. My only quibble is that everything appears a bit too clean & fresh (riverboat included). This guy's kit could use some more weathering, dirt & moisture stains!

Hopefully this is early in the adventure and things will take on a patina of age as filming progresses!

I was rewatching Tarzan and the Lost City recently. While it's not a good movie by any stretch, it's definitely not unwatchable. In fact, it got quite a few things right; things that I hope Yates' version capitalizes on. To start, Casper van Dien looked credible in role. Even while sporting the loin cloth and bow ensemble. Too many Lord Greystokes look too perfectly coiffed and beefcake-y.

Jane March's, well, Jane should have been more compelling, but the script was poorly fleshed out. Or, at least the version that appeared on screen.

Anyway, the biggest point in its favor: It was filmed on location in South Africa. You can do a lot with sets and digital flummery, but it is nigh impossible to recreate an actual jungle. Which is why I was hoping that there would be some on location shooting. You may not be able to film on the actual Congo, but I'm sure a happy medium could be found. I was disappointed to read that they're going to digitally impose a jungle on the riverboat seen (at least). So that's my early quibble.

Quote:
A quick look on the 'net reveals that this movie will have soldiers from the Belgian Force Publique! This makes me even more stoked than before. It's going to a long wait for 2016.

I am aware of the force, but that's really about it. I really should finish reading King Leopold's Ghost. It will be interesting, however, if the movie touches on that aspect of the Congo's history.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #40
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Hopefully this is early in the adventure and things will take on a patina of age as filming progresses!

Now we wait... for nearly two years. Why? Because principle photography has wrapped according to this Facebook page. The logline mentions principle photography wrapped on 10/3/14, which would give the production the standard three months of shooting.

It's unfair, but I still can't shake the idea that this was a payoff for Yates. Warner Bros. greenlit his passion project after making the studio an obscene amount of money, and now he gets rushed to the set of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Because the world is incomplete without a Harry Potter movie in the works.

So as previously mentioned, we wait. Official images and trailers will be forthcoming eventually.

For now though, here's an image of Tarzan's vine!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:50 AM   #41
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
While I'm not keen on some of the updates/changes/whatever, it would be a shame if this ends up being a straight to video release,

Unfortunately a theatrical release didn't happen Stateside, but I did see it on the shelf at my local Target for the princely sum of ten bucks! Yes, regular price. I didn't pick it up yet, but I'll probably snag a copy this coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsgate Home Video
SANTA MONICA, CA, June 2, 2014 – Kellan Lutz (The Twilight Saga franchise) headlines the newest incarnation of the iconic tale Tarzan®, available on Blu-ray (plus Digital HD) and DVD (plus Digital) exclusively at Walmart August 5 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. The film
During an expedition to a remote African jungle, the Greystoke family’s helicopter crashes, leaving one survivor: the young boy J.J., nicknamed Tarzan. Raised by gorillas, Tarzan lives by the laws of the jungle — until he encounters another human being, the courageous and beautiful Jane Porter. For Tarzan and Jane, it’s love at first sight — and the beginning of a thrilling adventure — as Tarzan uses his instincts and intellect to protect his jungle home and the woman he loves.

BLU-RAY/DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
• “Behind the Scenes with Kellan Lutz and Spencer Locke” featurette
• “Becoming Gorillas” featurette
• “The Making of Tarzan” featurette

Based on the ‘Tarzan’ stories created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, one of the most classic coming of age stories of all time is now completely re-imagined for a new generation in stunning CGI-animation. In its initial theatrical release the film has grossed over $35 million globally. Directed by Reinhard Klooss (Animals United) from a screen story and screenplay by him as well, Tarzan also features the voice talents of Spencer Locke (Resident Evil: Afterlife) and Jaime Ray Newman (TV’s “Mind Games”).

http://www.heyuguys.com/images/2013/11/Tarzan-3D-1.jpg

Last edited by Moedred : 06-29-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: just a bit wide
Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #42
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Ahem...THIS is what we can do with today's technology

Notice how kong bailed quickly on the thread? I always hope he'll put up more of a fight.

Quote:

No image of Lord Greystoke seems to have found its way on the 'net, but while perusing these few behind the scenes images popped up. Dig the costume and make-up work!

Force Publique Officer

Random extras(?)

A few others can be found over here.

Quote:
If not, then I wouldn't be surprised if Jane is portrayed as a wise-crackin', gun-totin', martial arts expert.

Probably not in this version the way it's shaping up, but maybe in Netflix's new series!

Not to be outdone, however, Netflix aims to pad out their animated offerings with a Tarzan animated series that's supposed to debut in late 2016! Currently titled Tarzan & Jane this series is aimed at older kids; the type of kids who might have enjoyed Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix
"Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan and Jane” (second half of 2016): In modern-day remake of the classic characters, 16-year-old Tarzan returns from the African jungle to a London boarding school where he meets Jane, who helps him solve environmental injustice, crimes and mysteries. The eight-episode season comes from 41 Entertainment and executive producer Avi Arad (which are also developing “Kong – King of the Apes” original series and feature-length film for Netflix) with animation from ARC Prods.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #43
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Notice how kong bailed quickly on the thread? I always hope he'll put up more of a fight.
Yes, but Kong seems to have bailed on The Raven, entirely. He hasn't posted for over 2.5 months.
Quote:
No image of Lord Greystoke seems to have found its way on the 'net,
In the link you provided, there was one. Real elephants! YEAH!

Quote:
Force Publique Officer
Doubtful. This photo might have been labelled incorrectly.
Quote:
Random extras(?)
Here we see some examples of the Belgian Force Publique wearing c.1900-1914 uniforms.
Quote:
Unfortunately a theatrical release didn't happen Stateside, but I did see it on the shelf at my local Target for the princely sum of ten bucks! Yes, regular price. I didn't pick it up yet, but I'll probably snag a copy this coming weekend.
I also came across a DVD of that new CG Tarzan movie on the shelf in Austria last December (or in Rome in May) but didn't buy it. Will have to watch it first but it looks much more interesting than that upcoming Netflix show.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #44
Pale Horse

Quote:
Yes, but Kong seems to have bailed on The Raven, entirely. He hasn't posted for over 2.5 months.

Well, there was a little glitch in that interim.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:18 AM   #45
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:

As stated elsewhere: The upkeep could have saved a lot of heartbreak and hassle by leaving the whole thing offline or making it all read only save for the circle jerk that is "What's Harry Doing Right Now?!!111"

Quote:
In the link you provided, there was one. Real elephants! YEAH!

I saw that and opted not to mention it, because I'm not convinced that's Alexander Johan Hjalmar Skarsgård. Something about the body type seems off, but it's certainly possible. I'm currently inclined to think that the gentleman in question is a stand-in or a stunt double. Good look at the most minimal costume ever though!

I'll be waiting for the first official promo pictures when it comes to Tarzan.

re: elephants

Real elephants are always exciting! The part that really intrigues me is where was that image was shot? (I purposefully avoided doing the due diligence in translating the site, because I wanted to avoid learning anything more.) I'd like to see a wider shot, because part me thinks some actual African location shooting was done. IMDB only lists locations in the UK, but I hope not.

Quote:
Doubtful. This photo might have been labelled incorrectly.

I had my reservations as well. The actor looks nothing like a trad military officer; a scout maybe, but definitely not rank and file. After thinking it over for a while, I was considering that he could be a member of the local constabulary or some kind of... slaver(?). The ropes at his waist look like they could be a type of restraint; an early version of the zip tie. He's also dressed very much like the gentlemen accompanying Paul Freeman Christoph Waltz on the riverboat.

Quote:
Here we see some examples of the Belgian Force Publique wearing c.1900-1914 uniforms.

We also see... the Leopard Society?! The usage of white kaolin is a nice touch; they've done some research. The Alunda were quite well known for covering themselves with a mixture of ash and kaolin.

Quote:
I also came across a DVD of that new CG Tarzan movie on the shelf in Austria last December (or in Rome in May) but didn't buy it. Will have to watch it first but it looks much more interesting than that upcoming Netflix show.

I ended up buying it. It was only ten bucks. If it sucks I won't be too out of sorts. At least the visuals look pretty good. Not good enough to actually have sat down and watch it yet, but I will. Scout's honor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Well, there was a little glitch in that interim.

Not that it would matter. See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby Baby
That said, I have often considered in establishing a pulp book club here so people can familiarize themselves with the actual stories that started the trend, but a majority of the books are long out of print, so they'd be difficult to come across. Tarzan, however, is readily available in your local bookstore. If anybody is interested, pick up a copy. We'll start reading in, say, a week?

This is still open for anybody who is interested.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:33 AM   #46
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle Pumper
Now we wait... for nearly two years. Why? Because principle photography has wrapped according to this Facebook page.

Yes, but as you know there's a lot work to be done on the back end of the $180-million(!!) wannabe franchise in the making. Now following the potential $150-million disaster that is Pan and the lesser disasters of Jupiter Ascending and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (which might actually turn a small profit), there is growing concern of Warner Bros. upcoming slate of releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
Sources say early test screenings of Tarzan, an adventure starring Alexander Skarsgard of HBO's True Blood as the vine-swinger and Margot Robbie as Jane, did not go well. But studio sources say the film is not finished and it's routine for movies to be revised and improved. And a Warners insider notes that both Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood have gone into preproduction on projects before their previous film is finished, though none has been as expensive, complicated or challenged as Tarzan appears to be.

Not the kind of info I hoped to be reading about this far out from it's release date, but this is a perfect example of why you don't arbitrarily assign release dates to movies until they're in the can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
In that context, especially, the Tarzan situation has raised eyebrows. Veteran producers and executives not involved with the project say they can't remember a studio pulling a director off one unfinished big-budget live-action movie to start another. But Beasts — at least as expensive as Tarzan and probably more so — has to make its own release date in November 2016.

Full article: Warner Bros. Faces 'Tarzan' Trouble as Director is Double-Booked

Well, now you know.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #47
TheFedora
IndyFan

Not looking good for Tarzan at all. Heard Warner lost a ton of money on 'Pan' and so now Tarzan is seen as risky.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #48
Pale Horse

Disney must be happy with Warner having financial woes.

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #49
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
I'll be waiting for the first official promo pictures when it comes to Tarzan.

You were saying?

Yes, well that was when I wasn't lying on my death bed. Now I have to haul myself across the house...

Our first official look at Alexander Johan Hjalmar Skarsgård as Lord Greystoke comes courtesy of the USA Today.

&

As to the Africa question:

Quote:
Africa itself is a main character in the movie, according to Yates, who tapped Potter collaborator Stuart Craig to design his Legend of Tarzan sets. To capture the jungle flavor, two hangars at an old English airplane factory were transformed into soundstages 200 yards long with real trees, vegetation, running water and mountainous areas. Green screen and CGI were used, as well as natural elements photographed in Gabon to add richness to the fully realized environment.

Full article: Sneak Peak: 'Tarzan' puts a twist on a legend

Hmm... Is "Legend of Tarzan"going to be our official title?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #50
TheFedora
IndyFan

Like that new take on Tarzan...might go to see it. I can remember reading the original novel way back...
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote