TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Seth Macfarlane is pure genius. They should award him an Oscar every time he farts.
They might as well, it makes as much sense as Pacino for scent of woman. Boy did he take that lesson to heart, he hasn't changed characters since...

Quote:
Rumour has it Disney wants to hire him to write Indy 5, but they can't afford him.
He was weak.

Speaking of choosing poorly, what possesed them to put the retarded stripper onstage with Theron?

At least she was gracefull and worked the skirt...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
They might as well, it makes as much sense as Pacino for scent of woman. Boy did he take that lesson to heart, he hasn't changed characters since...

At least he never went Cruising again.

Surprisingly, Marion survived.

But all good things have to end eventually.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
At least he never went Cruising again.

Surprisingly, Marion survived.

But all good things have to end eventually.

It never stops. It. Never. Stops.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
Mickiana
IndyFan

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on Crystal Skull - forever."
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on Crystal Skull - forever."

The 81st Academy Awards was Kristallnacht for KOTCS. Not a single nomination.

A good night for The Dark Knight with 8 nominations and 2 wins.

The members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are partly responsible!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #31
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
The 81st Academy Awards was Kristallnacht for KOTCS. Not a single nomination.

A good night for The Dark Knight with 8 nominations and 2 wins.

The members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are partly responsible!

Okay, this is where I draw the line. Blatantly mocking KOTCS with a reference to The Dark Knight...there's already enough people on this site under the impression that Batman fans hate KOTCS. You're going to just make it worse.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #32
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
...there's already enough people on this site under the impression that Batman fans hate KOTCS.
Come on man, how do you sleep at night spitting into the wind of fact?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
Montana Smith
IndyFan

While ground can be given to the idea that voting in the Oscars isn't based on a level playing field, the lack of a single nomination is either the greatest snub to a major movie, or a reality check.

And now for an apt quote spoken by a six time's Oscar nominee and double winner:

Quote:
Alfred Pennyworth: Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #34
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Surprisingly, Marion survived. But all good things have to end eventually.

Tell you what, the role was certainly poorly written, but she's STILL the best looking of the "Indy Girls"...

Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

I absolutely love the Oscars!!!!

They are so cute together.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #36
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

So, the nominations for the 86th Annual Academy Awards were finally announced. I haven't seen very many movies over the past year, but does anybody else find this year's crop particularly underwhelming? I can't think of a more uninspired crop of flicks over my roughly twenty years of watching.

Stop in over here for the complete listing. If you're entering the annual office pool, the individual ballot can be filled out over here. I'm tempted to fill it out without seeing anything more. I can almost guarantee that I'll be above 80% correct.

In fact, the Best Animated Feature is the worst group of nominees since the category was created in '02.

So outside of the cool kids, does anybody else find this crop to be unexciting?
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #37
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
So outside of the cool kids, does anybody else find this crop to be unexciting?

Le Sab, you and I see the world differently. At first I was annoyed with that, (my bad) but now I've come to appreciate it. Guess I'm growing up. To that end, I actually have enjoyed this season quite a bit.

N E Way. I'm curious to know why you find this crop lackluster. I've had an opportunity to view a few screeners and have seen more of this years films than in year past. Comparatively more this year, that the last 5 combined, at least when it comes to viewing prior to the event itself. That being said, there are some films I'd recommend, some I'd pass on, and some that (as you say) are just beyond my understanding. I guess at my age, there's no way to be cool.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #38
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
So, the nominations for the 86th Annual Academy Awards were finally announced. I haven't seen very many movies over the past year, but does anybody else find this year's crop particularly underwhelming? I can't think of a more uninspired crop of flicks over my roughly twenty years of watching.

The thing is people have been saying that every single for the past several years now. They've probably have been saying that for forever. It wouldn't surprised me when 2014 ends, people will start exclaiming "this was the most boring/uneventful year of film yet" and will start looking back on 2013 realizing it wasn't so bad and that it was more eventful than this year, listing all the great films.

That being said, I will agree the pickings were pretty slim. There were some good movies this year, but they seemed to be the same 9 ones people were mentioning over and over. At least when the Best Picture race was only 5 nominees there felt like unlimited great films you could mention that somehow the Academy was foolish enough not to nominate.

I am bit surprised the Academy couldn't find it to acknowledge Inside Llewynd Davis or Saving Mr. Banks more. Both among the year's more eventful experiences, then again my days of giving a crap what the Academy thinks are somewhat over.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
kongisking
IndyFan

No Best Actor nom for Hugh Jackman in Prisoners?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #40
Spurlock
IndyFan

You know the best makeup category really doesn't matter when it only has 3 nominees, and they are Jackass Presents: Bad Grampa, The Lone Ranger, and Dallas Buyers Club.

Hmm... I wonder which one will win
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #41
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Le Sab, you and I see the world differently. At first I was annoyed with that, (my bad)

Well, like, we know what The Dude has to say about that. I'll add annoying along with 'sad' and 'pathetic' to my list of undeniable qualities.

Certainly explains why I can't get any traction 'round here.

Quote:
I'm curious to know why you find this crop lackluster. I've had an opportunity to view a few screeners and have seen more of this years films than in year past.

I'm going through the nominees again as I write this, and I can't quite put my finger out. Safe isn't the right word. Predictable? Eh, maybe. I'll need to think it over.

I don't even know why the Academy nominated anybody other than Jennifer Lawrence for Best Supporting Actress. They're practically falling over themselves to give her every award under the sun.

The nominations I *am* excited about: Barkhad Abdi in Captain Phillips, Philippe Le Sourd's cinematography in The Grandmaster, and William Chang Suk Ping's costume design for the same.

Quote:
Comparatively more this year, that the last 5 combined, at least when it comes to viewing prior to the event itself.

I've seen about ten movies this year. Which is a massive fall off. I usually see most of what ends up being nominated (at least) for Best Picture, and pick up the last couple of pictures at AMC's Best Picture Showcase. I've seen all of one picture this year, four if you add in the technical awards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongiskong
No Best Actor nom for Hugh Jackman in Prisoners?

That's not the .gif you're looking for.

This is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
The thing is people have been saying that every single for the past several years now. They've probably have been saying that for forever.

I found it to be a rather fine year for film in terms of quality and box office. Nothing I did see could be considered "Best Picture" in terms of quality, but they were damn entertaining. The collection of nominations seems to have been pre-programmed by the studio heads; it smelt of Oscar bait, so let's nominate it! I suspect Saving Mr. Banks would have had a few more nominations if Meryl hadn't slagged it all over place. Too bad she was horribly wrong on nearly all accounts. Ms. Thompson should have been put up for Best Actress.

Though, I guess we know one actress who won't be getting a call from The Mouse any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
...then again my days of giving a crap what the Academy thinks are somewhat over

1997. The day L.A. Confidential lost to Titanic is the day I stopped caring. The one thing I am definitely going to miss though, is trying to out guess Ebert. That's one thing I used to enjoy.

Nobody is as self congratulatory as Hollywood, but their awards shows seem to be the least offensive. They try to make an effort to reward all of the participants that bring a film to life. You aren't going to see the NFL's Best Fat Hump Lineman at, say, The Espys.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #42
Finn

I wonder if this selection is a sign of the times changing. Hollywood is getting more low-key. With plenty more forms of media available to the common consumer, there's simply no demand for the kind of grand epoch the Academy is usually swooning over. Making such films is expensive, but they don't garner attention the same way they did only a decade or two ago.

It doesn't mean that there won't be none at all, but in the future they will be more or less glaring standouts among a more earthly selection. Which will, of course, make betting on the winner even more easier. You can already hear the bookies weeping.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #43
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
That's not the .gif you're looking for.

This is.

I can now go about my business. Moving along...

Honestly, Gravity deserves Best Picture, if only for how envelope-pushing it is. Years from now, Gravity will be fondly remembered as a touchstone in cinema. Will American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street be?

And keep in mind, I thought both of those movies were fantastic too...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #44
Joe Brody
IndyFan

I fall into the haven't-seen-them camp. It wasn't an overly bad year in film -- but this year's best picture nom's just didn't do it for me and when I get around to seeing them, I hope I'm proved wrong.

Is my memory off or was the logic behind opening the field to more pictures an attempt to get more mainstream films into the mix. Looking at the list below, I'm just not seeing it.

American Hustle -- Only one that I've seen. Flat film and sorry, I don't agree with the hype. I thought it was a sloppy film that will be forgotten in a year. It makes Argo look like an actual Best Picture.

Captain Phillips -- I'm sure this is solid -- but I followed this as a news story as it happened and there was a good article or two afterwards. I'm in no rush to see it and will wait for Netflix.

Dallas Buyers Club -- Solid McConaughey fan here -- but just in no rush for a movie on A.I.D.'s. I could see this being by favorite though.

Gravity -- Alfonso Cuarón has a spotty track record with me and I scoffed when I first heard that Clooney and Bullock were going to be astronaunts -- so I put this in the renter pile too, despite the box office. I still can't see myself liking this.

Her -- Big fans of Spike Jonze and Sco Jo but the whole concept is a little pathetic and Joaquin Phoenix can be creepy -- especially with the facial hair. Renter.

Nebraska -- I'm mid forties -- so I don't do elderly people road trip movies on general principle. I'll be there soon enough.

Philomena -- Love Judi Dench but everything she does is a renter on general principle.

12 Years a Slave -- my other big regret not seeing. I think this is solid and would be my other contender.

The Wolf of Wall Street -- No desire to see this. Spectacle for spectacle's sake.

As for films that didn't make the cut (including, Inside Llewyn Davis, Rush, The Secret Life of Walter Middy, The Place Beyond the Pines, 42, Mud, The Great Gatsby, Now You See Me, and The Butler), I'm not seeing any slights although I think a couple were just as good or better than Hustle.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
I fall into the haven't-seen-them camp. It wasn't an overly bad year in film -- but this year's best picture nom's just didn't do it for me and when I get around to seeing them, I hope I'm proved wrong.

Is my memory off or was the logic behind opening the field to more pictures an attempt to get more mainstream films into the mix. Looking at the list below, I'm just not seeing it.

American Hustle -- Only one that I've seen. Flat film and sorry, I don't agree with the hype. I thought it was a sloppy film that will be forgotten in a year. It makes Argo look like an actual Best Picture.

Captain Phillips -- I'm sure this is solid -- but I followed this as a news story as it happened and there was a good article or two afterwards. I'm in no rush to see it and will wait for Netflix.

Dallas Buyers Club -- Solid McConaughey fan here -- but just in no rush for a movie on A.I.D.'s. I could see this being by favorite though.

Gravity -- Alfonso Cuarón has a spotty track record with me and I scoffed when I first heard that Clooney and Bullock were going to be astronaunts -- so I put this in the renter pile too, despite the box office. I still can't see myself liking this.

Her -- Big fans of Spike Jonze and Sco Jo but the whole concept is a little pathetic and Joaquin Phoenix can be creepy -- especially with the facial hair. Renter.

Nebraska -- I'm mid forties -- so I don't do elderly people road trip movies on general principle. I'll be there soon enough.

Philomena -- Love Judi Dench but everything she does is a renter on general principle.

12 Years a Slave -- my other big regret not seeing. I think this is solid and would be my other contender.

The Wolf of Wall Street -- No desire to see this. Spectacle for spectacle's sake.

As for films that didn't make the cut (including, Inside Llewyn Davis, Rush, The Secret Life of Walter Middy, The Place Beyond the Pines, 42, Mud, The Great Gatsby, Now You See Me, and The Butler), I'm not seeing any slights although I think a couple were just as good or better than Hustle.

No offense, Brody, but a lot of your reasons for avoiding these movies sound either petty or contrarian.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #46
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
No offense, Brody, but a lot of your reasons for avoiding these movies sound either petty or contrarian.

They seem stated only as personal reasons. On a personal level, I resonated with many of them.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #47
Montana Smith
IndyFan

My reason for not having watched any of them is that they haven't turned up on disc for a quid yet.

Like many of the other hundred or so award shows the Oscars are just another public exercise in mutual hand jobbery or female dog slapping.

Q: Who cares?

A: Only those who get stroked or slapped. Or those who believed they were getting stroked or slapped on someone else's behalf.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #48
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
My reason for not having watched any of them is that they haven't turned up on disc for a quid yet.

Like many of the other hundred or so award shows the Oscars are just another public exercise in mutual hand jobbery or female dog slapping.

Q: Who cares?

A: Only those who get stroked or slapped. Or those who believed they were getting stroked or slapped on someone else's behalf.

I think the Oscars are a huge joke, but I watch them nevertheless for four reasons:

1) To see the stars. It's always cool to hear from my favorite actors and actresses.

2) To see just how good (or bad?) the year's host is.

3) Morbid curiosity over who will win.

4) Amy Adams on the red carpet. How could I miss that?!?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #49
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
4) Amy Adams on the red carpet. How could I miss that?!?

I'd never miss an opportunity to see Amy Adams' red carpet.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #50
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody

Quote:

I'll watch it for Barkhad Abdi's performance. But I've read enough about Phillips and I don't think Hanks will save my opinion of the man. Call it historical bias is keeping me away from this one, at least till Netflix.

Quote:

I completely understand this sentiment. But please please please watch it for Jared Leto's ...{insert thesaurus words here} role. Dear Heavens. The AIDS bit is grossly exaggerated against a different criminal in this film. But MM is only serviceable in this role, he's barely better than Leo in Marty's work below. Matthew was much better in Mud which I consider to be this generations Stand By Me.

Quote:
Gravity -- Alfonso Cuarón has a spotty track record with me and I scoffed when I first heard that Clooney and Bullock were going to be astronauts -- so I put this in the renter pile too, despite the box office. I still can't see myself liking this.

Best Animated Film. Hands down. Also, awesome on IMAX. Sandy does a pretty good Castaway rehash, and this script was much better than the slighted All Is Lost that featured Redford.

Quote:

A truly disturbing film that will create wonderful conversations post viewing. I believe that is the reason it's in the bunch.

Quote:

No interest here on these two, so I'm right with ya.

Quote:

This is my "Duh!" film. I don't like "Duh!" films. Sort of like the Patriots will go to the Superbowl every year thang. It becomes tired and uninspiring.

Quote:

Martin missed the boat on this one for sure. Pales in comparison to The Departed, and his other works. This film is a moral fairy tale at best, and Marty doesn't do simplicity well. It shows.

Quote:

I'm seeing this this evening. I'll report accordingly.

Quote:

Of those, I’ve only seen Mud – (see above), Gatsby – blech!, Now You See Me, (no way this could be a contender)

Here too, are the other films I've seen.

Iron Man 3
Despicable Me 2
Frozen
Monsters Univesity
Identity Thief
A Good Day to Die Hard
Parker
Safe Haven
Stoker
Oz the Great and Powerful
Spring Breakers I was rooting a supporting actor nomination nod
Burt Wonderstone
Olympus Has Fallen
The Croods
Hangover III
After Earth
This is the End
The Bling Ring
World War Z
The Heat
The Lone Ranger
Turbo
Red 2
The To Do List
2 Guns
We're the Millers
Planes
Cloudy with a Chance 2
Runner Runner
Escape from Tomorrow I highly recommend this one.
All is Lost
The Big Wedding
Escape Plan
Bad Grandpa
Last Vegas
Anchorman 2

And lastly: Lone Survivor. (wait I forgot SOMM)

I think I have a good slice of films to pair against.

Of the ones I didn't see (and haven't been named), these I think would be necessary viewing to be a completely informed critic: But I only have so much time on my hands.

August: Osage County; Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; The Book Thief; Diana; Jane Mansfield's Car; Jobs; Fruitvale Station; The Way Way Back; The English Teacher; What Maisie Knew; Emperor; Knife Fight, and of course Machette Kills.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote