TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Tomb Raider reboot

Alicia Vikander is Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot!

Despite previous reports pointing toward Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ Daisy Ridley as a potential candidate, The Hollywood Reporter brings word that Academy Award winner Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) has signed on to play Lara Croft in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot.

Norwegian filmmaker Roar Uthaug (The Wave) will direct the film which has a script by Transformers 5 scribe Geneva Robertson-Dworet. Warner Bros. is set to distribute the film with MGM. They will produce the feature with GK Films.

The original Tomb Raider game was published in 1996 by the London-based video game company Eidos and became one of the most successful video games of the time. A reboot of the series, telling the origin of Lara Croft, was released in 2013 and sold over 5 million copies. The most recent game, titled Rise of the Tomb Raider, is available now for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

Paramount Pictures previously made two movies about the daredevil archaeologist on a series of global missions. The films, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, starred Angelina Jolie and grossed a combined $432 million at the worldwide box office.

(Photo Credit: FayesVision/WENN.com)
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
TheFedora
IndyFan

This is great news! Now they just need to get a move on in casting Nathan Drake!
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Attila the Professor

Have a little respect...

Here's the source on the article posted in its entirety above, save for the critical details of publication (ComingSoon.net) and writer (Spencer Perry).
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Duaner
IndyFan

I really love Daisy Ridley and know she has good things in her future, but I did not see Tomb Raider as the right fit for her.

Vikander is the right choice.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Here's the source on the article posted in its entirety above, save for the critical details of publication (ComingSoon.net) and writer (Spencer Perry).

Thanks for adding that. I was a bit too hasty publishing the post and completely forgot to add the source/citation! Credit where credit's due!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
Thanks for adding that. I was a bit too hasty publishing the post and completely forgot to add the source/citation! Credit where credit's due!

I didn't want to do this originally, to avoid the appearance of piling on, but I've gone ahead and renamed the thread, so it'll clearly be the general thread for this reboot.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
indytim
IndyFan

Quote:

I didn't want to do this originally, to avoid the appearance of piling on, but I've gone ahead and renamed the thread, so it'll clearly be the general thread for this reboot.

Understandable when looking at the other posts in 'Films' (i.e. they state the movie title only). Nice to keep in all nice and tidy
Old 07-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #8
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
but I've gone ahead and renamed the thread, so it'll clearly be the general thread for this reboot.

Is another rename in order?

Both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are indicating that the reboot/remake/whatever has an official release date! The Alicia Vikander-led flick is set to debut stateside on March 18th, 2018.

If they insist on following the direction plotted by the new series then I sincerely hope they spend a *lot* of time working on the script and the story, because both are equally terrible in the 2013 game. So far only the Assassin's Creed flick looks like it'll be able to stand on its own two feet.

Drop your drawers!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
TheFedora
IndyFan

Apparently the date for Tomb Raider is same day as the Flash comes out? Doesn't Warner own both of them? If so, one has to move.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 AM   #10
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Apparently the date for Tomb Raider is same day as the Flash comes out? Doesn't Warner own both of them? If so, one has to move.

I'm a.) not certain that The Flash is still officially pegged to that day following directorial musical chairs & b.) that there's a lot of crossover audience between the properties. I'd put money on Tomb Raider being the more important picture as well. Ms. Croft will be Warner Bros' counter punch to Raiders of the Blue Pill in their war of attrition with The Walt Disney Company.

The Flash will be the WB-DC's Ant-Man. I'd be almost willing to put money on that outcome. Going forward though, Tomb Raider has more of a future. Time will tell, of course, but I will be interested in seeing the direction the studio plots out this time around. I have great affection for the Angelina Jolie-led films and I quite enjoyed the new direction in the video game series despite the poor writing and story. If they can tighten those last two aspects up, then the film will eventually be a winner.

Enjoy the Twenty Year Celebration!

Old 12-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #11
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

For some reason I thought Attila would enjoy this bit of news.

It's short, but Variety is reporting that Boyd Crowder Walton Goggins is in final negotiations to play the villain in the upcoming flick opposite Alicia Vikander.

Who?

This guy.

Look familiar? You might have seen him in The Shield, Justified, or perhaps in Django Unchained or The Hateful Eight.

It's an interesting casting choice to be sure, and I'll be interested in seeing what final form this version takes.

Drop your drawers! ('cause that's the way you open doors!)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #12
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'm not sure why they feel the need to turn some of these games into movies. Playing through Uncharted and Tomb Raider is already like playing through an interactive movie. I wish they'd create something new instead of going down this route again.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Filming is underway.

And we're off! #tombraider

A photo posted by Roar Uthaug (@roaruthaug) on

And Dominic West has joined the cast as Croft's father.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...source=twitter
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #14
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
Filming is underway.

And now we have our first glimpse of the second Academy Award winner to take up the role. If it wasn't obvious beforehand, the studio is obviously following the current incarnation of Lara Croft (from the '13 reboot).

Production has nailed the look overall and Vikander looks good in these stills, but the lack of a set has me concerned. I hope they aren't going to layer a few physical props over an obviously CG background. That would be terrible.

Drop by The Escapist for the complete Behind the Scenes look.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:51 AM   #15
TheFedora
IndyFan

They've nailed the outfit from the games, I must say. Absolutely perfect. I would be interested in watching.