User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #251
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
Just a little follow up...
JJ, could we have a re-up on this Disney Channel hour-long "Indiana Jones Adventure" featuring Karen Allen and John Rhys-Davies?
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #252
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
hour-long
Hi, Moe. Are you certain about an hour-long version? As far as I'm aware, it was a half hour special (21 minutes + commercials).

There are a couple of good quality uploads on YouTube but both have drawbacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0abv1MhkM
534x360
Full show. Not full picture (white, vertical bars on both sides).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhFApmDv-hg&t=141s
1280x720
No opening/closing credits. Disney Avenue watermark. Picture stretched a bit. Appears to be taken from the one above because the white bars have been filled in from another source. (Vertical lines near the edges are visible.)

If JJ is too busy with "Indymag", allow me to help. (It's the least I could do as payback for your sharing of the '95 Super Bowl half-time show! ) I have the last 6 minutes in clean 640x480 and want to combine that to make the best available version...unless JJ or anyone else has something superior.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #253
Moedred
Administrator

Thanks Stoo! That was all I was looking for. So many dead links in this thread, like this one from the Neverland Files. It is indeed a half hour program, and Wikipedia is mistaken. Looking forward to the next Indymag!
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #254
micsteam
IndyFan

Awesome guys !! I never saw this. Hey Stoo, give me a shout when you can. Thanks guys !!
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #255
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Changes are coming to Adventureland!

Despite being the best land, big changes are finally afoot at Disneyland's Adventureland. With an expanded Fantasmic! expected to debut later this summer, alleviating the bottleneck that is Adventureland is finally becoming important.

Of particular note: The Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost is going to Yesterland. Not that I really mind; the store's been crap for years, and they can't keep the pinball in working order (if it's even still there). Select merchandise will be worked into the Adventureland Bazaar.

The outdoor bar and seating area for the Bengal Barbecue are also being eighty-sixed, and will be rebuilt where the Indy Outpost currently is.

South Seas Traders is also being deep-sixed in favor of... Tropical Imports, that over glorified fruit stand next to the Boathouse. That space currently occupied by Tropical Imports will become overflow stroller parking.

Exciting, neh? Adventureland gets plus-ed by subtracting from what few attractions it does have!

Looks like the shutters will be going up on 12 June. Locals have a day left to get their memories in!

Disneyland Finally Improving Adventureland Flow

If there's a silver lining, maybe there'll be some more nods to Indy's presence in the new Bengal Barbecue's decor.

Kungaloosh!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #256
JasonMa
IndyFan

Sad to see the pinball go, it was the one place I knew I could find it.

The jungle's only self-service witch doctor better stay in place though. Otherwise there's no chance somebody will recognize my phone case!
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #257
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

I find this news VERY depressing. Maybe even more than I should. Because along with Indiana Jones 5 getting pushed for 2020, this proves Disney isn't even pretending to care about this franchise and it's fans.

When Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012, even though I knew Star Wars was going to be the main focus due to fan-base, toy market etc. I was excited about what this would mean for Indiana Jones because it's obvious after Young Indiana Jones Chronicles got canceled(and especially after he finally finished Indy 4) Lucas' involvement and enthusiasm for the franchise became pretty much non-existent. With Disney as the owner I finally felt Indy 5 and the series in general had a future again. Sadly Iger's Disney only cares about billion dollar franchises(which has its donwfalls as a strategy, as Alice Through The Looking Glass and even the new Pirates have proven).

I know that today's demise is only about a store, and it's not like Indiana Jones Adventure is being taken out, but if something as popular as Tower Of Terror could get removed, who is to say that won't be a real possibility 20 years down the line?
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #258
TheFedora
IndyFan

Im very very upset by this news. This is very depressing, and I always stopped by this when I went by Disney, as probably the only place in the park where they sold Indy merchandise of any variety. I think that Disney will regret this, in the future especially as the new Indy movie comes nearer.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #259
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
Sad to see the pinball go, it was the one place I knew I could find it.

Come to the Bay Area. I know of two places that have both editions. Both are well maintained unlike the Disneyland pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
I find this news VERY depressing. Maybe even more than I should. Because along with Indiana Jones 5 getting pushed for 2020, this proves Disney isn't even pretending to care about this franchise and it's fans.

It's easy to blame Disney, but the ridiculous encumbrances placed upon the series can't be ignored. The blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. They very clearly have zero interest in the further exploits of Dr. Jones, but are unwilling to let anybody else play in their sandbox.

And before all the 'buts' come in it needs to be noted that people who are genuinely interested in something will make themselves available. Not the opposite. They don't rehash somebody else's work either. See: Hal Barwood and Spielberg's comments about adapting Fate of Atlantis.

Getting the band back together is the worst possible thing Disney can do.

snip.

But we're talking about a store, not the movies. While I have some empathy for those bothered by the Outpost's closure, I can't muster up that much energy over its departure. Steal some of the decor? Sure. Absolutely. But most of the merchandise is trash tier, and anything worthwhile will be funneled into the Adventureland Bazaar. They can lose the Star Wars merch without effort. There's probably even room for the diorama.

Video from the Outpost's final weekend.

If I can ever find the old plans for my revamp of Adventureland, I'll post them. I had The Raven Bar extending out from The World Famous Jungle Cruise's boathouse. Second floor. This was well before that I learned that Disneyland was booze free (everybody hit up Pale for Club 33 access!), but the idea could easily be worked into the revamp of the Bengal Barbecue* or South Seas Traders. Make it The Raven Juice Bar or some such. Dr. Jones loves fruit-like snacks!

* - Working more Indian food would be great as well. Bengal is indeed a p,ace, a bay, and a subspecies of tiger.

Quote:
I know that today's demise is only about a store, and it's not like Indiana Jones Adventure is being taken out, but if something as popular as Tower Of Terror could get removed, who is to say that won't be a real possibility 20 years down the line?

If Temple of the Forbidden Eye gets removed, then what do you replace it with? What fits the theme of Adventureland? If it makes it another twenty years, and there's no reason why it shouldn't, then that would put it at ~50 years of service. That's a long time for any ride. If I'm not mistaken only The World Famous Jungle Cruise is still there from opening day. Even that has gone through changes over the years. Revampring or remodeling the Indiana Jones Adventure may be necessary at some point in the future, but I don't see it going anywhere.

Quote:
Sadly Iger's Disney only cares about billion dollar franchises(which has its donwfalls as a strategy, as Alice Through The Looking Glass and even the new Pirates have proven).

Audiences are a fickle bunch. That said, Pirates already is a billion dollar franchise. Despite not setting the box office aflame here, Dead Men Tell No Tales has made ~$500-million overseas. It'll probably come into port in the $800-900-million range. It'll also do well on home video.

The Laughing Place has a few snaps of the now walled off Outpost and South Seas Traders.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #260
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Come to the Bay Area. I know of two places that have both editions. Both are well maintained unlike the Disneyland pin.
1 Up here in Denver has the newer one that incorporates Crystal Skull but I prefer the classic that Disney has/had. If I'm ever in the Bay Area though I'll send you a PM to find out where those two are.

Its one of my goals to eventually have the money and the room to buy one of my own.

Quote:
But we're talking about a store, not the movies. While I have some empathy for those bothered by the Outpost's closure, I can't muster up that much energy over its departure. Steal some of the decor? Sure. Absolutely. But most of the merchandise is trash tier, and anything worthwhile will be funneled into the Adventureland Bazaar. They can lose the Star Wars merch without effort. There's probably even room for the diorama.
This. I get it, with Disney's history seeing something like this makes people think it might be step 1, but until there's a step 2 I can't get too upset. Adventureland's traffic patters have been broken for years and it desperately needed help. Looking at that video that is way too much space to take up for largely junk merchandise. Get rid of the plastic snakes, cheap swords, etc., minimize the room the hats and fedoras are taking up, condense the shirt racks a bit and you could have the good stuff in a corner of one of the other stores jut as easily.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #261
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Does anyone know if Indiana Jones licensed merchandise will still be available to purchase at other stores in the park? Being from NY, I don't frequent either of the resorts often but the Disney parks seem to be the only stores that sell Indiana Jones merchandised licensed by Lucasfilm. For example I have not seen any Indiana Jones tshirts sold in stores that sell novelty shirts (Kohls, Hot Topic etc). I know Indiana Jones is not as big as Star Wars, but they sell tshirts from other films/film series (Jaws, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future etc, Goonies). Many of these series don't have a film out now and are not more popular/beloved than Indiana Jones but they still sell merchandise. Even the Funko pops of Indiana Jones were park and convention exclusives. While I wouldn't expect a bevy of options like you have with Star Wars, it still seems strange that Disney has released almost no merchandise at all since purchasing Lucasfilm. I don't think there is any licensing hangup considering Lucasfilm always maintained the rights to licensed material for their movies.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #262
JasonMa
IndyFan

I know at Disney World you can get some (most?) of the Indy merchandise they have at the Studios near the Indy attraction also at various stores at Disney Springs and I think also in places like Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. I would be its the same at Disneyland if not more so as the Indy attraction is a "bigger" attraction there. I'd check the Emporium and whatever World of Disney type store they have in their Downtown Disney area.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #263
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
It's easy to blame Disney, but the ridiculous encumbrances placed upon the series can't be ignored. The blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. They very clearly have zero interest in the further exploits of Dr. Jones, but are unwilling to let anybody else play in their sandbox.
Getting the band back together is the worst possible thing Disney can do.
OT, granted, but I wholeheartedly agree.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #264
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
I know at Disney World you can get some (most?) of the Indy merchandise they have at the Studios near the Indy attraction also at various stores at Disney Springs and I think also in places like Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. I would be its the same at Disneyland if not more so as the Indy attraction is a "bigger" attraction there. I'd check the Emporium and whatever World of Disney type store they have in their Downtown Disney area.

Yeah it does kind of give that question as to the distribution of the merchandise in the stores in Disneyland. I honestly wonder if some of it might not be put to the back of stores in Main street, etc. And havent been to Downtown Disney in a while but I can always try to check next time
Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #265
JasonMa
IndyFan

You can also order many of the items through their shopping app/website. There are 15 items listed under Indiana Jones in the app you can order plus 6 others that are In-Store only (the bank, bigfig, cel, Mickey plush, and two pins).
Old 06-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #266
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Was this ever posted? No, doesn't look like it. I went back a few pages and it was suddenly 2013!

Anyway.

The Mouse held a Twentieth Anniversary Panel for the Indiana Jones Adventure in 2015 featuring Tony Baxter and Disney Historian Tim O'Day @ the dearly departed Big Thunder Ranch.

The embedded video is from a closer spot, but this one is much clearer (and manages to keep Baxter in frame.).

Old 06-29-2017, 04:18 AM   #267
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Its one of my goals to eventually have the money and the room to buy one of my own.

I used to have one in my room.

Quote:
Adventureland's traffic patterns have been broken for years and it desperately needed help. Looking at that video that is way too much space to take up for largely junk merchandise. Get rid of the plastic snakes, cheap swords, etc., minimize the room the hats and fedoras are taking up, condense the shirt racks a bit and you could have the good stuff in a corner of one of the other stores jut as easily.

Adventureland has been largely neglected post-Temple of the Forbidden Eye's opening. Sure, they built Aladdin's Oasis (it doesn't belong in Adventureland) and did a horrible overlay of the Tree House when they should have been working on something that unifies the theme in terms of tone and expectations. This, for my money, has helped to exacerbate the traffic flow through Adventureland. Rather than have a collection of things to grab your attention, it's primarily a place to walk through on the way to elsewhere. Frontierland shares this problem too. Perhaps more so.

Oh, and you can lose most of the apparel in the Outpost. Most of it was off brand apparel you could find at PacSun like Quiksilver and O'Neill. I can't imagine they ever sold much, if any, of it. Not at Disney's prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Yeah it does kind of give that question as to the distribution of the merchandise in the stores in Disneyland. I honestly wonder if some of it might not be put to the back of stores in Main street, etc. And havent been to Downtown Disney in a while but I can always try to check next time

Mice Chat is reporting that the entire front section of the Bazaar is now comprised of Indiana Jones merchandise. Scroll down about three quarters for a coupe of pictures. The rest of the construction is supposed to be open again on Friday.

The Bengal Barbecue is also getting new food options according to the Disney Parks Blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bshero
In the heart of Adventureland at Disneyland park, it’s hard to miss Bengal Barbecue. The smell of fire-cooked meats and vegetables lures explorers to its thatched roof. Today, I’m excited to share new menu items that are now available at Bengal Barbecue.

Ahi Poke Spring Roll – Marinated Ahi tuna with crisp lettuce, carrots, daikon, pickled cucumber, cilantro, Thai basil, mint, sliced jalapeños and creamy wasabi mayo rolled in a rice paper wrap. Served with a delectable side of ginger dipping sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelBshero
Hummus Trio – Three delicious house-made varieties of hummus, jalapeño, black bean, red pepper and feta are served with an assortment of fresh vegetables.

Jungle Julep – A tropical slush with grape, orange, pineapple and lemon. This drink is sure to take your taste buds on a tropical vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
Does anyone know if Indiana Jones licensed merchandise will still be available to purchase at other stores in the park? Being from NY, I don't frequent either of the resorts often but the Disney parks seem to be the only stores that sell Indiana Jones merchandised licensed by Lucasfilm.

As previously mentioned, Florida still has an Adventure Outpost as does Paris. Despite the name, however, Paris felt like Indiana Jones was an afterthought; it had more The Jungle Book and The Lion King merchandise, and this video seems to confirm that it's still that way.

They gave me a good deal on a King Louie!

Florida doesn't look much better either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
OT, granted, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Shh! Though, to be perfectly fair, unless something drastic happens, I have no interest in the future of the series.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #268
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
I used to have one in my room.

Mice Chat is reporting that the entire front section of the Bazaar is now comprised of Indiana Jones merchandise. Scroll down about three quarters for a coupe of pictures. The rest of the construction is supposed to be open again on Friday.

[/size]

Well thats good to hear that they still have a place for the Indy merchandise in the park. If/when I eventually get the chance to go to Disneyland again, I'll have to check it out for sure.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #269
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'm glad to see the Indy merchandise hasn't completely been abandoned. The Outpost used to be absolutely amazing about 10 years ago. It's a shame to see what it devolved into, along with the Indy shop at Disney World.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #270
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

I can't tell if the Bengal Barbecue et al has reopened as scheduled or not (none of the usual suspects have uploaded anything), but I did find a couple of really, really inadequate pictures. The only real thing I can tell from this... revamp is that it was done on the cheap (as is to be expected given the turnaround).

Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #271
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
I can't tell if the Bengal Barbecue et al has reopened as scheduled or not (none of the usual suspects have uploaded anything), but I did find a couple of really, really inadequate pictures. The only real thing I can tell from this... revamp is that it was done on the cheap (as is to be expected given the turnaround).

For a revamp, I honestly expected a lot better. Disappointed in this. Although to be honest, I never ate anything here, I don't know if its any good.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #272
Attila the Professor

Quote:
For a revamp, I honestly expected a lot better. Disappointed in this. Although to be honest, I never ate anything here, I don't know if its any good.

Well, it is the summer, and the traffic through the Adventureland corridor is fairly awful. (Things wouldn't be so bad if that half of the park didn't shut down for Fantasmic once or twice a night, but I digress.) No assurances of quality from WDI, but perhaps it'll be revisited at a quieter time of year.

The skewers aren't bad, as I recall.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #273
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:

It is good, but only if you can stomach the price. Five bucks for two to three bites of meat is steep.

Conceptually the Bengal Barbecue is supposed to be street food. You can find grilled meats on a stick throughout... well, the majority of the world. Disney drenches theirs in a vaguely exotic sauce. Zulu! Polynesian! Hot n' spicy! The rest of the menu is rather forgettable, but people are talking up the new hummus trio and the ahi poke roll.

This popped up a few hours back, and it does give a nice overview of the changes.

The changes look better in the video than the photos, but it shows that the revamp was really done on the quick. Without up close looks at the pictures I can't say for certain, but it does look like any explicit reference to Indiana Jones has been erased from the former Outpost.

The amount of merchandise that was transferred to the Bazaar appears to be minimal, but referencing the Caribbean is really odd. Adventurelaand doesn't need any more confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Well, it is the summer, and the traffic through the Adventureland corridor is fairly awful. (Things wouldn't be so bad if that half of the park didn't shut down for Fantasmic once or twice a night, but I digress.) No assurances of quality from WDI, but perhaps it'll be revisited at a quieter time of year.

I haven't been back that way in about five years, but after watching some videos it looks like that Disney has been running overflow stroller parking right down the middle of the path. That can't be helpful.

There's also a rumor that this decision isn't final. While the Outpost is gone for good (probably), the space might get converted back to retail or some other attraction (if possible).

The number of people @ Disneyland who think they're on an expedition to darkest Africa is hilarious.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #274
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

The amount of vloggers covering the Disney Parks is absolutely astounding. I'd be surprised if there was a niche left to exploit in order to standout from the rest of the herd.

Anyway.

Here's one more look at the Adventureland revamp. Fast forward to the ~9:00 mark. Even with all the extra seating it looks crowded, and lot of the Adventureland Bazaar is still full of off-brand merchandise. All of the Indiana Jones stuff looks to be stuck into the front corner, but none of it looks particularly appealing.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #275
Pale Horse

Quote:
The amount of vloggers covering the Disney Parks is absolutely astounding. I'd be surprised if there was a niche left to exploit in order to standout from the rest of the herd.]

Sort of sickening. Here's a tip. Learn how to edit.

I'll go before August and give a raven review of its warranted.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote